NATION

PASSWORD

What is your personal stance on the United states

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you like America?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:23 pm

I love america!
48%
i like it but not my fav
28%
Nah
25%

Total votes : 501

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:04 pm

Scepez wrote:Which is obviously a bad thing. It should be an official language, because the French stole the land from the Bretons. Gee, sounds familiar?

Well, the briton stole the lands first, it was gallic/latin lands before they conquer it; and Brittany was rattached peacefully to France and melted slowly in it during 400 years. (Plus, no Briton genocid :p )
Citoyen Français. Bonapartiste Républicain (aka De Gaule's Gaullisme) with Keynesian leanings on economics. Latin Christian.

Unilateral rhodesia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Unilateral rhodesia » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:04 pm

this the land where i was born however i wish that we had supported Ian Smith's regime along with the serbs in the 1990s 8)

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:06 pm

Scepez wrote:I'm not sure if independence is a good option, but greater autonomy is definitely something that should happen.

A corsican autonomic gestion may happen; not an Briton's one.
Citoyen Français. Bonapartiste Républicain (aka De Gaule's Gaullisme) with Keynesian leanings on economics. Latin Christian.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:08 pm

Crimiea wrote:
Dakini wrote:I've never been to In-n-Out Burger. Given their apparent lack of veggie burgers, I probably wouldn't go.

I only mentioned Harvey's because Infected Mushroom is Canadian and this is a vastly superior option that you can find in Canada.

That's probably because it's absolute garbage.

Isn't the grilled cheese a cheaper vegetarian option?

Why would I go to a burger place to get a grilled cheese sandwich?

Or you can buy a veggie burger from Burger King, place it in an In n Out wrapper, go to In n Out, buy Animal Style fries, and dine at In n Out? Muahahaha

I'm not sure why I would do those things. While Burger King has reasonably good veggie burgers, if I was going there, I'd just order fries from Burger King instead of making an additional trip to a place that considers a "veggie burger" to be nothing but vegetables inside a bun without a patty (because apparently In-n-Out burger is run by assholes).
Last edited by Dakini on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:08 pm

Aelex wrote:
Scepez wrote:Which is obviously a bad thing. It should be an official language, because the French stole the land from the Bretons. Gee, sounds familiar?

Well, the briton stole the lands first, it was gallic/latin lands before they conquer it; and Brittany was rattached peacefully to France and melted slowly in it during 400 years. (Plus, no Briton genocid :p )

If you consider that the Gauls spoke a Celtic language, as do the Bretons (although from an entirely different branch), and the French speak a language derived from Latin, then the Bretons were just avenging their Celtic brothers against the Roman invader.

We can always twist nonsense about who stole whose land, or we can live. As ordinary people alongside ordinary people.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Glorious KASSRD
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious KASSRD » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:09 pm

Aelex wrote:
New haven america wrote:1. Ralph Waldo Emerson
2. I said "One of the first", not the first. We were the first democracy of modern times though, and the US isn't a complete republic, it's a federal republic.
4. 238 years old(Plus, Uncle Tom's Cabin). Can you even into history?

1) Well, I guess he count even if he don't play on the same league as Rousseau, Descarte or Voltaire...
2)One of the first excluding the countless antic republics, the Middle-Age Italian Republic or the Hanseatic League... So not the first at all...
4)I trace you back to the first English Colony, so, yeah; 400 years...

Well obviously
The English colonies go back 400 years. But we have only been a nation for 200 years.

Scepez
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Scepez » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:10 pm

Aelex wrote:

They didn't conquer it, they migrated there. They were the first to a start their kingdoms there, as there were none before except Roman rule. They fought against Frankish aggression. That all concludes to that they we're annexed forcefully (the Bretons didn't have a choice), which is rather like stealing.
???

Braberland
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Braberland » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:11 pm

Nah, don't like them that much, bit arrogant and narcistic.

But, we earn hard cash from them for abusing their mostly stupid population so 10/10 would continue earning hard cash.
Dr. Maurits de la Roseraie,
Delegate of the Republic of Braberland to the World Assembly
Afgevaardigde van de Republiek Braberland in de Wereldvergadering

The Republic of Braberland, presidential republic located in Africa
De Republiek Braberland, presidentiële republiek gelegen in Afrika

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:11 pm

Aelex wrote:
New haven america wrote:1. Ralph Waldo Emerson
2. I said "One of the first", not the first. We were the first democracy of modern times though, and the US isn't a complete republic, it's a federal republic.
4. 238 years old(Plus, Uncle Tom's Cabin). Can you even into history?

1) Well, I guess he count even if he don't play on the same league as Rousseau, Descarte or Voltaire...
2)One of the first excluding the countless antic republics, the Middle-Age Italian Republic or the Hanseatic League... So not the first at all...
4)I trace you back to the first English Colony, so, yeah; 400 years...

2. Those weren't as democratic as the US is(Hell, even when the US was founded and only white men could vote, it was still more democratic than those were). They didn't even support the majority, only the rich and powerful had any vote in that. Now, back to cultural achivements you say don't exist: Invention of music like jazz and rock, Hollywood ruling the film industry, the lightbulb, planes, nuclear bomb, nuclear power, video games, Apple, apollo moon landings, Human Genome Project. Just to name a few.
4. And I trace it how everyone else in the world does it, the day independence was declared: July 4th, 1776. So 238 years ago(Almost 239).

Now, can you stop being a European exceptionalist, it's rather annoying(And besides, without the discovery of the New World and Europe's colonialism(Which killed millions), Europe would be like the white peoples middle east(Which Europe made colonies out of and treated the natives worse then America does))
Last edited by New haven america on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Holy Prospero
Attaché

Founded: Mar 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Prospero » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:13 pm

Braberland wrote:Nah, don't like them that much, bit arrogant and narcistic.

But, we earn hard cash from them for abusing their mostly stupid population so 10/10 would continue earning hard cash.

If being a bit arrogant and narcissistic is the worst America has to offer, then compared to most of the world I'd say they're doing alright.

New Frenco Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Frenco Empire » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:14 pm

Durka durr. Me so sorry, me dumb american cant comprehend wat u say.

we just sit in corner AND CONTINUE RULING THE FUCKING WORLD. Enjoy our donations. :lol2:
NEW FRENCO EMPIRE

Transferring information from disorganized notes into presentable factbooks is way too time consuming for a procrastinator. Just ask if you have questions.
Plutocratic Evil Empire™ situated in a post-apocalyptic Decopunk North America. Extreme PMT, yet socially stuck in the interwar/immediate post-war era, with Jazz music and flapper culture alongside nanotechnology and Martian colonies. Tier I power of the Frencoverse.

Las Palmeras wrote:Roaring 20s but in the future and with mutants

Alyakia wrote:you are a modern poet
Top Hits of 2132! (Imperial Public Radio)
Coming at you from Fort Orwell! (Imperial Forces Network)

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:14 pm

I am quite frankly afraid of what America is becoming. I'm beginning to doubt the reason-ability of peaceful change to stem the tide of what I would call a growing spectre in the frightfully secretive and seemingly unyielding American super-power. You elected Obama and nothing changed, the Democrats briefly controlled the house and nothing changed. The torture didn't change, the secret killings didn't change, police brutality and degradation of rights, none of it seems to be changing for the good.

Anyways, other than that I like American, many of my friends live there, my nation depends on it for our economy (Canada), you are great allies and close friends. I just fear that won't always be true.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:15 pm

New Frenco Empire wrote:

Durka durr. Me so sorry, me dumb american cant comprehend wat u say.

we just sit in corner AND CONTINUE RULING THE FUCKING WORLD. Enjoy our donations. :lol2:

i do really hate how this thread is a wee bit of a circlejerk between AMERICA IS GLORIOUS POWURRR and GREAT SATAN DIEEEE
Last edited by Arglorand on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:18 pm

Scepez wrote:They didn't conquer it, they migrated there. They were the first to a start their kingdoms there, as there were none before except Roman rule. They fought against Frankish aggression. That all concludes to that they we're annexed forcefully (the Bretons didn't have a choice), which is rather like stealing.

They migrated, killing the inhabitants. And, no; the annexion of Britain which happened along the marriage of Anne de Bretagne to Charles VIII and then, later, to Louis XIII was peaceful.

New Frenco Empire
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Frenco Empire » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:18 pm

Arglorand wrote:
New Frenco Empire wrote:Durka durr. Me so sorry, me dumb american cant comprehend wat u say.

i do really hate how this thread is a wee bit of a circlejerk between AMERICA IS GLORIOUS POWURRR and GREAT SATAN DIEEEE

We're arrogant and "narcistic". I have to deliver.
NEW FRENCO EMPIRE

Transferring information from disorganized notes into presentable factbooks is way too time consuming for a procrastinator. Just ask if you have questions.
Plutocratic Evil Empire™ situated in a post-apocalyptic Decopunk North America. Extreme PMT, yet socially stuck in the interwar/immediate post-war era, with Jazz music and flapper culture alongside nanotechnology and Martian colonies. Tier I power of the Frencoverse.

Las Palmeras wrote:Roaring 20s but in the future and with mutants

Alyakia wrote:you are a modern poet
Top Hits of 2132! (Imperial Public Radio)
Coming at you from Fort Orwell! (Imperial Forces Network)

Glorious KASSRD
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious KASSRD » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:18 pm

Arglorand wrote:
New Frenco Empire wrote:Durka durr. Me so sorry, me dumb american cant comprehend wat u say.

Its not so much that as defense for America. We hear so much bad stuff said about Americans all the time, that even the ones who aren't a fan of our country have to defend it. The problem is that extremism breeds more extremism.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:20 pm

New Frenco Empire wrote:
Arglorand wrote:

We're arrogant and "narcistic". I have to deliver.

Glorious KASSRD wrote:
Arglorand wrote:

Its not so much that as defense for America. We hear so much bad stuff said about Americans all the time, that even the ones who aren't a fan of our country have to defend it. The problem is that extremism breeds more extremism.

Yeah, no, don't get me wrong, I understand; I defend my own country on this forum and elsewhere remarkably often, even though I find myself disagreeing with quite a fucking few of its political decisions, because I don't accept that anyone else has the right to tell me how to live. So I can empathise.

And spot on with the extremism comment. That's what I find annoying about this, precisely that.
Last edited by Arglorand on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scepez
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Scepez » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Aelex wrote:
Scepez wrote:They didn't conquer it, they migrated there. They were the first to a start their kingdoms there, as there were none before except Roman rule. They fought against Frankish aggression. That all concludes to that they we're annexed forcefully (the Bretons didn't have a choice), which is rather like stealing.

They migrated, killing the inhabitants. And, no; the annexion of Britain which happened along the marriage of Anne de Bretagne to Charles VIII and then, later, to Louis XIII was peaceful.

I think it was the opposite for a while :P

Anyway, they didn't kill the inhabitants. Since there was other rule, they had no reason to kill.

And as for "peaceful", from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Brittany):
"The army of the Kingdom of France, with the help of 5,000 mercenaries from Switzerland and Italy, defeated the Breton army in 1488, and the last Duke of independent Brittany, Francis II, was forced to submit to a treaty giving the King of France the right to determine the marriage of the Duke's daughter, a 12-year-old girl, the heir to the Duchy. The Duchess Anne was the last independent ruler of the duchy as she was ultimately obliged to marry Louis XII of France."

Doesn't seem like fucking peaceful to me, mate.
Last edited by Scepez on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
???

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:25 pm

This referring to Brittany as Britain, in something of a bad translation of French, irritates me.

Let's just agree to call it Breizh. I'm sure that will satisfy everyone. Or at least myself.

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:32 pm

Arglorand wrote:This referring to Brittany as Britain, in something of a bad translation of French, irritates me.

Let's just agree to call it Breizh. I'm sure that will satisfy everyone. Or at least myself.

Or just call it Bretagne.

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:35 pm

Scepez wrote:"The army of the Kingdom of France, with the help of 5,000 mercenaries from Switzerland and Italy, defeated the Breton army in 1488, and the last Duke of independent Brittany, Francis II, was forced to submit to a treaty giving the King of France the right to determine the marriage of the Duke's daughter, a 12-year-old girl, the heir to the Duchy. The Duchess Anne was the last independent ruler of the duchy as she was ultimately obliged to marry Louis XII of France."

To replace it in it's context.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:35 pm

Aelex wrote:
Arglorand wrote:This referring to Brittany as Britain, in something of a bad translation of French, irritates me.

Or just call it Bretagne.

Let's call it Breizhagtany.

Greater-London
Senator

Founded: Nov 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater-London » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:35 pm

One countries got to rule the world. Thank god its America.
Born in Cambridge in 1993, just graduated with a 2.1 in Politics and International Relations from the University of Manchester - WHICH IS SICK

PRO: British Unionism, Commonwealth, Liberalism, Federalism, Palestine, NHS, Decriminalizing Drugs, West Ham UTD , Garage Music &, Lager
ANTI: EU, Smoking Ban, Tuition Fees, Conservatism, Crypto-Fascist lefties, Hypocrisy, Religious Fanaticism, Religion Bashing & Armchair activists

Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87

Aelex
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aelex » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:38 pm

Arglorand wrote:Let's call it Breizhagtany.

I agree to this. :hug:

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Aelex wrote:
Arglorand wrote:Let's call it Breizhagtany.

I agree to this. :hug:

At least if we break our tongues, all of us here in NSG, regardless of our views, and, more importantly, language, will break them together.
Last edited by Arglorand on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General