NATION

PASSWORD

So NSG, what do you think of PETA

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do you think of PETA?

I love them! They help fight against people eating meat! Which I don't like.
5%
I don't like them, but I don't hate them.
38%
I hate them! They kill animals.
57%

Total votes : 86

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:47 pm

Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:
Veganism as a middle class cause deserves to be silenced as morally incompetent bullshit.

Let me clap at your bullshit then.

If you make wild generalizations about people but don't think about those who have no way to follow your lifestyle, because of income, functional, sensory or health limitations, then your activism is pretty much classist and ableist, sorry.
Kotturheim's contagious despair.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Furry Alairia and Algeria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:49 pm

If you make wild generalizations about people but don't think about those who have no way to follow your lifestyle

Bullshit.
because of income

Bullshit
functional

Bullshit
sensory or health limitations

Bullshit
your activism is pretty much classist and ableist

And to put the cherry of the bullshit, empty accusation on a person accusing people of generalizations while making generalizations themselves.

Just wow.
Last edited by Furry Alairia and Algeria on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Dyakovo - may he never be forgotten - Дьяковожс ученик

I do not reply to telegrams, unless you are someone I know.

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:54 pm

Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:And to put the cherry of the bullshit, empty accusation on a person accusing people of generalizations while making generalizations themselves.

Just wow.

I'm not talking about Furry the vegan, I'm talking about attitudes I see in the wider vegan community. As far as my experience goes, it lacks a lot of intersectionality and awareness of problems that surround people rather than just animals.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:56 pm

I'm talking about attitudes I see in the wider vegan community.

Which involve themselves in their own morals and disconnect themselves to meat.
it lacks a lot of intersectionality and awareness of problems that surround people rather than just animals.

elaborate a bit

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:58 pm

The Novakian Empire wrote:Honestly PETA can go die for all I care.

Advocating the death of people is a rules violation, so knock it off. Go to the top of General and review those rules.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:00 pm

Don't like them.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Coltpower
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Coltpower » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:44 pm

i belong to the group of People Who Eat Tasty Animals
Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33
Capitalist, freedom, Our Constitution
Colt-Power News paper
Member of USIN. Are you?

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:04 pm

I'm talking about attitudes I see in the wider vegan community.

Which involve themselves in their own morals and disconnect themselves to meat.

Do you realize ideology doesn't come into the world without also interacting with our given reality in a really complicated picture?

For example, feminism can't speak for issues solely of and gather viewpoints solely from middle class white heterosexual women, if it is supposed to talk about all of them and how they have problems due to how society and State institutions relate to women.

Veganism can be similar. If meat-eating is put like a solely ethical and environmental issue, rather than [the form as we know it as] one of capitalist exploitation that often people have no choice to engage due to various reasons, and that often people HAVE TO engage as a necessity (often because of class problems associated with how their own bodies work), then you aren't paying attention to the right people. How can you wish your values and innovation be accessible if you don't fight for means to make them so?

I see vegan restaurants and organizations and groups, and most of them have a clear middle class following. Why is it so hard for one to create an idealized diet in which high numbers of the population aren't excluded? Exactly because it's not just an issue of lifestyle or morality. It's an issue of market, and of public healthcare. It's not a question of personal choices, it's a question of neglect and predatory economic models. This isn't there to harm just animals. Caring about animals rather than giving a priority to people isn't going to help them. It isn't with idealism that you'll cut the social and structural logic responsible for all that.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:24 pm

And since half of your post makes no sense in the slightest terms, and only serves to tell you know nothing about veganism, I'm moving on to what is actually understandable.
I see vegan restaurants and organizations and groups, and most of them have a clear middle class following

Then obviously you have quite a obscure and blind seeing of vegan...
Okay, first of, restaurants are supposed to be cheap? Tell me that. Whether or not it's vegan.
Secondly, No. There are organizations and groups that have upper and middle classes which still serve to the poorer class.
Not to mention, prices for meat are more expensive than fruits and vegetables. If you're going to whine about not being able to buy something you could get for 69 cents a pound when a a few ounces of meat can go for over 10 dollars, then that's just your hypocritical oxymoronic statement because you're going to complain how lower poorer class people can't buy vegetables because their too expensive, yet meat is way more expensive than vegetables, yet, you still complain on how it's "middle class"

Why is it so hard for one to create an idealized diet in which high numbers of the population aren't excluded?

Ask that to your hypocritical oxymoronic statement. If one wants to create a idealized diet, then they can depend on more healthy or less healthy or just nothing-like foods that aren't meat.
Exactly because it's not just an issue of lifestyle or morality

We just went through a whole bullshit cake. I'm not giving another serving, because if you keep having bullshit, then your argument aren't going to be anything but bullshit.
It's an issue of market, and of public healthcare.

and in flows the bullshit.
it's a question of neglect and predatory economic models.

I think I'm going to be sick.
This isn't there to harm just animals.

Going onto strawmen already? Yeesus, your cruel.
Caring about animals rather than giving a priority to people isn't going to help them.

Help who?
\

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:33 pm

I'm not too big on the veganism thing they're trying to promote, but they're not much different than other activist groups.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:35 pm

Torisakia wrote:I'm not too big on the veganism thing they're trying to promote, but they're not much different than other activist groups.

Problem is not a lot of activist groups aren't batshit groups.

Fionnuala_Saoirse
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fionnuala_Saoirse » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:36 pm

Top bunch of lads
Stupid Telegrams Received :

- "Isn't your name the name of the female Branch of the IRA" -- Benian Republic

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:36 pm

Torisakia wrote:I'm not too big on the veganism thing they're trying to promote, but they're not much different than other activist groups.

Problem is not a lot of activist groups aren't batshit groups.

I meant that they're trying to promote what they believe is right (as is the goal of all activist groups). Whether they go overboard with it apparently doesn't matter to them.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:38 pm

Torisakia wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:Problem is not a lot of activist groups aren't batshit groups.

I meant that they're trying to promote what they believe is right (as is the goal of all activist groups). Whether they go overboard with it apparently doesn't matter to them.

It does to other groups, mainly why some of them don't like being associated with them too much.

Need a Name
Senator

Founded: Oct 22, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Need a Name » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:38 pm

I can't take PETA seriously. Convincing people to not eat meat is even more ridiculous than the 18th amendment.
I'm a Christian and a Patriot
“Right is Right even if nobody does it. Wrong is wrong even if everybody is wrong about it.”― G.K. Chesterton

"Better to fight for something than live for nothing." -- George S. Patton Jr.

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day." -- Jesus Christ

For: Christianity, America, NATO, EU, Israel, Effective Education Reform, The US Military, Social Capital, and Compromise
Against: Radical fundamentalism, Militant Atheism, Current US Congress, Ignorance, and ISIS (obviously).

Fionnuala_Saoirse
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fionnuala_Saoirse » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:39 pm

Need a name wrote:I can't take PETA seriously. Convincing people to not eat meat is even more ridiculous than the 18th amendment.

Convincing people that they shouldn't eat meat is more ridiculous than legally prohibiting booze?

For fuck sake
Stupid Telegrams Received :

- "Isn't your name the name of the female Branch of the IRA" -- Benian Republic

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:41 pm

Need a name wrote:I can't take PETA seriously. Convincing people to not eat meat is even more ridiculous than the 18th amendment.

Really? Fucking really?

Convincing is not the same as banning liquor by amendment of the goddamn constitution

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:41 pm

Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:Not to mention, prices for meat are more expensive than fruits and vegetables. If you're going to whine about not being able to buy something you could get for 69 cents a pound when a a few ounces of meat can go for over 10 dollars, then that's just your hypocritical oxymoronic statement because you're going to complain how lower poorer class people can't buy vegetables because their too expensive, yet meat is way more expensive than vegetables, yet, you still complain on how it's "middle class"

You ignore so much.

Like, that things that have essential nutrients like the omegas, many sorts of micronutrients like calcium, stuff you'd usually find in meat and so on are usually found in more expensive produce like nuts, seeds, tofu, fungi and sprouts, which aren't accessible in places where the availability of agriculture-derived items is poor.

If a mostly matured/rotten plant of broccolini tends to be around 4-5 reais where I live, and my family's income divided in two (the number of people living in the house) is slightly smaller than 500 reais, this is approximately 1% of how much we have to waste. There is broccolini in the supermarkets and market-places around where I live. The items where I cited, aren't around here. Because cities and metropolitan areas have class cohort.

Most people can't also have appropriate access to healthcare, once again because of health issues, so we can't just say people can go randomly picking supplements when they can barely have how to pay urgent services, like surgeries to maintain their sight.

Not to mention that cooking just vegetables and fruit requires time and skill, because Western diets, among many others, are rather meat-oriented, and this is problematic for people who can't cook for themselves, who have to divide a kitchen with someone with other dietary habits, or who have sensory issues that list off many items.

That is not just being picky. My mom can't eat the peels of tomatoes, yellow potatoes or eggplants. She feels a severely piquant-like toxic taste, and they gets very sick. My dad has the similar problem with anything related to cucurbitaceae (melons, cucumbers, pumpkins, squash). I have a lighter version of his issue, except I can eat the sweet fruits and correctly-placed ingredients that I have less issues with, but I get sick just with the smell of chayote. This is a response to cucurbitacin, a toxic substance present in these vegetables and fruits that isn't significant when it comes to their cultivated varieties, but that some people can still strongly perceive.

People with autism spectrum conditions, and other kinds of developmentally diverse neurological wiring, often have tons of these issues. And this is when we CAN live without eating meat. There are lots of people who can't. Others have specific diets because they have certain careers or their former body care had negative results, and a non-vegan diet is the most convenient. (It's really hard to enter ketosis if you don't want to or can't eat soy protein non-stop.)

Often disabled people are poor, when they barely have financial independence, or can choose stuff for themselves.

My point stands, and you just proved it.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:45 pm

Fionnuala_Saoirse wrote:

Convincing people that they shouldn't eat meat is more ridiculous than legally prohibiting booze?

For fuck sake

Yeah, it would be more ridiculous.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Uawc
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Uawc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:47 pm

PETA should be dismantled for the sake of animal rights.
Pro-democracy, pro-NATO, anti-authoritarian, anti-extremism.
Ex-leftist and ex-Muslim.

I stand with Ukraine and Israel.

New Terricon
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Terricon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:48 pm

PETA is for the bored, edgy libertarian who thinks they will make a difference for shaming people who so much as drink milk. They employ some of the most questionable practices to execute their outrageous campaigns that don't really affect anything. On top of that, they haven't even brought any effective means to fight animal abuse that Green Peace and other groups haven't already done (plus the latter expands itself to protect the environment, a much broader and more noble cause in my opinion).
Anything PETA has done has been solely for shock value: the grotesque video games, the anti-fur campaigns, and the harassing of non vegan related services! So I have nothing good to say about them as to date.
I may start using this as my main account, I dunno.

Iwassoclose
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Iwassoclose » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:48 pm

I would say that they have overreached. Maybe they grew too big too quickly.

I would also call them hypocrites, I read that they kill more animals in their shelters then actual shelters.

I dislike their tactics, I think a vast majority does as well, so I can only cringe when something out of them comes out.

No doubt they have done good work. People care about animals and I think that they would support PETA more but only if they lose the extremist shit.

Jumalariik
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Jumalariik » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:48 pm

Edgy Opinions wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:Let me clap at your bullshit then.

If you make wild generalizations about people but don't think about those who have no way to follow your lifestyle, because of income, functional, sensory or health limitations, then your activism is pretty much classist and ableist, sorry.

[sarcasm]That makes sense, poor people are exempt from morality...

I think killing people is wrong. It is ok if poor people kill people, they're poor, they don't know any better.

I think rape is wrong. It is ok if people with disabilities rape people, they're disabled, they don't know any better.

So, morality is classist/ableist.[/sarcasm]

Basically, what you are saying is that not all people should seek to live morally and that living a moral life is being rich.

I don't agree with vegetarianism, but what you are saying makes little to no sense, if morals exist, they apply to everybody.
Varemeist tõuseb kättemaks! Eesti on Hiiumaast Petserini!
Pray for a new spiritual crusade against the left!-Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium
For: A Christian West, Tradition, Pepe, Catholicism, St. Thomas Aquinas, the rosary, warm cider, ramen noodles, kbac, Latin, Gavin McInnes, Pro-Life, kebabs, stability, Opus Dei
Against: the left wing, the Englightenment, Black Lives Matter, Islam, homosexual/transgender agenda, cultural marxism

Boycott Coke, drink Fanta

Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Furry Alairia and Algeria » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:50 pm

Edgy Opinions wrote:
Furry Alairia and Algeria wrote:Not to mention, prices for meat are more expensive than fruits and vegetables. If you're going to whine about not being able to buy something you could get for 69 cents a pound when a a few ounces of meat can go for over 10 dollars, then that's just your hypocritical oxymoronic statement because you're going to complain how lower poorer class people can't buy vegetables because their too expensive, yet meat is way more expensive than vegetables, yet, you still complain on how it's "middle class"

You ignore so much.

Like, that things that have essential nutrients like the omegas, many sorts of micronutrients like calcium, stuff you'd usually find in meat and so on are usually found in more expensive produce like nuts, seeds, tofu, fungi and sprouts, which aren't accessible in places where the availability of agriculture-derived items is poor.

If a mostly matured/rotten plant of broccolini tends to be around 4-5 reais where I live, and my family's income divided in two (the number of people living in the house) is slightly smaller than 500 reais, this is approximately 1% of how much we have to waste. There is broccolini in the supermarkets and market-places around where I live. The items where I cited, aren't around here. Because cities and metropolitan areas have class cohort.

Most people can't also have appropriate access to healthcare, once again because of health issues, so we can't just say people can go randomly picking supplements when they can barely have how to pay urgent services, like surgeries to maintain their sight.

Not to mention that cooking just vegetables and fruit requires time and skill, because Western diets, among many others, are rather meat-oriented, and this is problematic for people who can't cook for themselves, who have to divide a kitchen with someone with other dietary habits, or who have sensory issues that list off many items.

That is not just being picky. My mom can't eat the peels of tomatoes, yellow potatoes or eggplants. She feels a severely piquant-like toxic taste, and they gets very sick. My dad has the similar problem with anything related to cucurbitaceae (melons, cucumbers, pumpkins, squash). I have a lighter version of his issue, except I can eat the sweet fruits and correctly-placed ingredients that I have less issues with, but I get sick just with the smell of chayote. This is a response to cucurbitacin, a toxic substance present in these vegetables and fruits that isn't significant when it comes to their cultivated varieties, but that some people can still strongly perceive.

People with autism spectrum conditions, and other kinds of developmentally diverse neurological wiring, often have tons of these issues. And this is when we CAN live without eating meat. There are lots of people who can't. Others have specific diets because they have certain careers or their former body care had negative results, and a non-vegan diet is the most convenient. (It's really hard to enter ketosis if you don't want to or can't eat soy protein non-stop.)

Often disabled people are poor, when they barely have financial independence, or can choose stuff for themselves.

You ignore so much.

Oxymoron at it's finest.

Which is why imports exist.

And this has nothing to do with what we're talking about, really.
Listen, I have lots of time, and I don't want to waste it on strawmen and anecdotals. I feel sorry for your family, but I'm not saying a word about that because there's nothing I can say on your situation. Your situation is your situation, not statistics, simple as fucking that.

And you're not eating soy protein non stop. Maybe stop generalizing and you'd know what you're saying.

And this is where you need to read what I say next time.

Please excuse me while I laugh so badly at you.

Tamoi
Envoy

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tamoi » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:51 pm

I'm pro-nature, therefore I am anti-PETA. That should be obvious, because they are mutually exclusive categories.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General