NATION

PASSWORD

57% Of Republicans Want Christianity As National Religion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:50 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
Vazdaria wrote:
We should have kept the 18th....

Is this really worth a threadjack Vaz?

Well I just think that Alcohol does more harm than good for society...what with all the drunken drivers....the abuse...the negative affects it has on families....I just think we'd all be better off with out it.....
NSG's one and only Constitutional Executive Monarcho-Corporatist!
100% Pro-Women Pro-Babies Pro-Life!!!

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:50 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
It really isn't. I would claim it is actually stronger.

Especially since I kicked his ass the last time we had a disagreement.

Yeah, sure you did.

Mikeswill
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Mikeswill » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:52 pm

57% of a party that represents 25% of the Nation is 14.25% of the Nation
Whoop-de-doo
Love Conquers Fear
NationStates

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:53 pm

Mikeswill wrote:57% of a party that represents 25% of the Nation is 14.25% of the Nation
Whoop-de-doo

Das allllllot of people though.

Wickedly evil people
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 14, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Wickedly evil people » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:54 pm

the precedent is established by the Pro Islamist-Fascist President currently serving that the Constitution is no impediment to any Executive Action.

I guess you reap what you sow
Eli

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:55 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:It's no different:
"Or better yet, it's a tyranny. The only reason societies' God's morality is applicable to me is because they he possess[es] the force to impose it on me."

The difference being one Is a being of infinite power, Creator of the universe and all its' laws and Glory, if you believe that sort of thing.

The other is a group of beings equally as fallible as myself, and with no higher power to give credence to their authority, their judgment is meaningless so long as I can challenge them.

So no it's morality by consensus, as opposed to a true objective Morality.

You conflate power with wisdom. They are not the same. You assert "objective" morality in a clear instance of objectively subjective morality. And you seem unhealthily fixated on the degree to which you are overpowered. A meaningless distinction so long as you are overpowered.

Basically, yours is a symphony of non sequitur.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:56 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:Especially since I kicked his ass the last time we had a disagreement.

Yeah, sure you did.

It's right there in my biography.

Unfortunately the Buddha intervened. He's a tough motherfucker.

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:57 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
Yeah, sure you did.

Didn't he fast for some 50 days or something like that?

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:57 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
The difference being one Is a being of infinite power, Creator of the universe and all its' laws and Glory, if you believe that sort of thing.

The other is a group of beings equally as fallible as myself, and with no higher power to give credence to their authority, their judgment is meaningless so long as I can challenge them.

So no it's morality by consensus, as opposed to a true objective Morality.

You conflate power with wisdom. They are not the same. You assert "objective" morality in a clear instance of objectively subjective morality. And you seem unhealthily fixated on the degree to which you are overpowered. A meaningless distinction so long as you are overpowered.

Because wisdom hardly matters considering morality, so long as morality is a mandate from the masses and not an objective standard. All that matters is the power to assert your morality over someone else, or the morality of the Masses to assert their power over the minority.

Morality then is essentially only a tyranny of the masses, as opposed to a high philosophical concept.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:00 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:You conflate power with wisdom. They are not the same. You assert "objective" morality in a clear instance of objectively subjective morality. And you seem unhealthily fixated on the degree to which you are overpowered. A meaningless distinction so long as you are overpowered.

Because wisdom hardly matters considering morality, so long as morality is a mandate from the masses and not an objective standard. All that matters is the power to assert your morality over someone else, or the morality of the Masses to assert their power over the minority.

Morality then is essentially only a tyranny of the masses, as opposed to a high philosophical concept.

Only if you lack all sense of nuance, a basic grasp of behavioral biology, and knowledge of Game Theory.

Imperial Esplanade
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Esplanade » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:01 pm

Hmm, I smell an attempt of slander here. The firm conducting the poll is admittingly Democratically-aligned, and it fails to state exactly the question that was stated. I'm sorry, but that just sounds very sketchy. All the while the Republicans are enjoying a majority in both houses of Congress, and are lining up for a potential 2016 run at the White House against a weak potential Democratic field. ( I mean... comon', Hillary? Really? :rofl:)

Side note: there's actually a difference between a 'National Religion' and a 'Theocracy.' Even in a state that endorses a particular national religion, one may still posses the right to practice any religion they please, unless the said freedom of religion is textually, or traditionally, prohibited by law. Take Israel, for example, which endorses Judaism as a state religion, yet allows its' citizens the right of observance and practice of other religions.
Busy, but I check TGs often.
Imperial Esplanadian Constitution [WIP]

New Orleans, Louisiana.
Nation Weebly/Wiki - Coming Soon
The Land of the Free - Admin Assist.

But the Lord stood by me, and gave me strength. (2 Timothy 4:17)
One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory. (Rita Mae Brown)
SAINTS | PELICANS | TIGERS | PRIVATEERS

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:01 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
Yeah, sure you did.

I seem to recall the Buddha taking my side and holding you down, as I threw peanuts at you.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:02 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:You conflate power with wisdom. They are not the same. You assert "objective" morality in a clear instance of objectively subjective morality. And you seem unhealthily fixated on the degree to which you are overpowered. A meaningless distinction so long as you are overpowered.

And in the case of a god morality is only tyranny of the one. Morality is in the end an opinion, whether that is the opinion of a god that is imposed by on high, or the opinion of general society imposed by the group, or the morality of the individual. Morality is nothing more or less then an opinion.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:It's right there in my biography.

I seem to recall the Buddha taking my side and holding you down, as I threw peanuts at you.

Hallucinations are often a sign of serious brain disorder. You should get that checked out.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:04 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Wow. True. Good thing that I didn't do that.

But you did, you said shared values can be important to maintaining a society. I'd go one further and say its imperative to maintaining a society.

But holding that up the argument, means morality itself doesn't actually matter. The Aztecs sacrificed their most beautiful citizens for a good harvest. IS it immoral? No because it was useful to society, and by their shared values it was perfectly moral.

Cannibals on the Congo find no immorality in their practices because they are shared values.

(Godwin be damned) The Nazi's saw exterminating undesirables not only as moral but a moral imperative. So did communists in China.

I stated that shared values can be important in maintaining a society. I did not define morality solely as that which is useful to a society.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:05 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:

Only if you lack all sense of nuance, a basic grasp of behavioral biology, and knowledge of Game Theory.

On the contrary, behavioral psychology supports my assertion as can be seen, from the SPE, and well history.

ImperialistSalvia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 24, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby ImperialistSalvia » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:05 pm

It's fucked but on the bright side, they didn't single one denomination out (Church of America, here we come)

Warning: this poster is a New Yorker
Chandler wrote:
Rachael wrote:Hey guys, guess what!

The fifth dentist caved, and now they're all recommending Trident?
PRO ISRAEL AND DAMN PROUD | Salvian Anthem | Excelsior!
RIP: My Sanity 1996–2018

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:07 pm

Imperial Esplanade wrote:Hmm, I smell an attempt of slander here. The firm conducting the poll is admittingly Democratically-aligned, and it fails to state exactly the question that was stated. I'm sorry, but that just sounds very sketchy. All the while the Republicans are enjoying a majority in both houses of Congress, and are lining up for a potential 2016 run at the White House against a weak potential Democratic field. ( I mean... comon', Hillary? Really? :rofl:)

Side note: there's actually a difference between a 'National Religion' and a 'Theocracy.' Even in a state that endorses a particular national religion, one may still posses the right to practice any religion they please, unless the said freedom of religion is textually, or traditionally, prohibited by law. Take Israel, for example, which endorses Judaism as a state religion, yet allows its' citizens the right of observance and practice of other religions.

They actually did state the question asked, and I even linked it in the OP (Q17 for "Question 17").

If you could show some polls that paint Hillary Clinton as a weak candidate against any of the most likely GOP candidates, I'd like to see them.
Last edited by Yumyumsuppertime on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:10 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Imperial Esplanade wrote:Hmm, I smell an attempt of slander here. The firm conducting the poll is admittingly Democratically-aligned, and it fails to state exactly the question that was stated. I'm sorry, but that just sounds very sketchy. All the while the Republicans are enjoying a majority in both houses of Congress, and are lining up for a potential 2016 run at the White House against a weak potential Democratic field. ( I mean... comon', Hillary? Really? :rofl:)

They actually did state the question asked, and I even linked it in the OP (Q17 for "Question 17".

If you could show some polls that paint Hillary Clinton as a weak candidate against any of the most likely GOP candidates, I'd like to see them.

She's no stronger than any 1 GOP candidate, or Dem Candidate for that matter. But those of us looking down the road, see the Dems have no winner in the on deck circle.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:

Hallucinations are often a sign of serious brain disorder. You should get that checked out.

Thanks to Obamacare I can't afford it.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:12 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
They actually did state the question asked, and I even linked it in the OP (Q17 for "Question 17").

She's no stronger than any 1 GOP candidate, or Dem Candidate for that matter. But those of us looking down the road, see the Dems have no winner in the on deck circle.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:13 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

And in the case of a god morality is only tyranny of the one. Morality is in the end an opinion, whether that is the opinion of a god that is imposed by on high, or the opinion of general society imposed by the group, or the morality of the individual. Morality is nothing more or less then an opinion.

Yes but the tyranny of a "God" is much more justifiable than tyranny of "people"

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:14 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

Yes but the tyranny of a "God" is much more justifiable than tyranny of "people"

Not remotely. If anything his greater power makes it more petulant.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:15 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Okay let me say it again. She (Currently) is no stronger or weaker really than any other candidate in the field. But those of us who are looking down the road, can see that the Dems don't have a candidate that can win the General Election. That's not a question of polls but of seeing how the campaigns will go.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:15 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

I can argue with people. I can educate people. I can possibly sway the opinions of people.

I don't know where I'd begin to try to do any of these things with a God.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General