NATION

PASSWORD

57% Of Republicans Want Christianity As National Religion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:49 am

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Repealing the bit that says that Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of a religion seems advisable if one wishes to establish a national religion.

No if they repeal the Establishment clause then holy balls there will be a string of religious based laws like you have never seen. Ten Commandments on every street post. Monuments to Jesus on every national park. 10 hours mandatory prayer in schools a Day. The free exercise clause would be all but lame.

If you keep the Establishment Clause and have a National Religion amendment. You get your religion and the Gov't still can't step on your rights.

You'd have two contradictory amendments. That seems ill-advised.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:52 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

No if they repeal the Establishment clause then holy balls there will be a string of religious based laws like you have never seen. Ten Commandments on every street post. Monuments to Jesus on every national park. 10 hours mandatory prayer in schools a Day. The free exercise clause would be all but lame.

If you keep the Establishment Clause and have a National Religion amendment. You get your religion and the Gov't still can't step on your rights.

Weren't you paying attention earlier? Two conflicting amendments is hardly new. That's where the supreme court makes its pretty interesting interpretations. When you have two conflicting Amendments, then you find the legal ramifications in the penumbras of the two amendments. Kind of like how we have a constitutional right to privacy. (you can thank Scalia for that one btw)

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:55 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Weren't you paying attention earlier? Two conflicting amendments is hardly new. That's where the supreme court makes its pretty interesting interpretations. When you have two conflicting Amendments, then you find the legal ramifications in the penumbras of the two amendments. Kind of like how we have a constitutional right to privacy. (you can thank Scalia for that one btw)

I'd prefer to not add to the problem unnecessarily, thanks, and in a manner that could seem insulting or alienating to those of differing beliefs.

Aethrys
Minister

Founded: Apr 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aethrys » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:56 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

... You're literally supporting the creation of a situation that deliberately leaves constitutional rights decisions up to nothing more than the whimsy of the current SCOTUS bench. "These two amendments say the exact opposite things so I'm going to base my ruling based on whatever I damn well please, and who's going to be able to question my decision effectively?"
"Concentration of power in a political machine is bad; and an Established Church is only a political machine; it was invented for that; it is nursed, cradled, preserved for that; it is an enemy to human liberty, and does no good which it could not better do in a split-up and scattered condition." - Mark Twain

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:02 am

Thank god that 57% of the Republicans aren't the majority of US citizens.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:03 am

Aethrys wrote:

... You're literally supporting the creation of a situation that deliberately leaves constitutional rights decisions up to nothing more than the whimsy of the current SCOTUS bench. "These two amendments say the exact opposite things so I'm going to base my ruling based on whatever I damn well please, and who's going to be able to question my decision effectively?"

Constitutional rights are already up to the whims of the SCOTUS. "Dread Scott" "Plessy vs Fergusson" Ring any bells?

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:04 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

I'd prefer to not add to the problem unnecessarily, thanks, and in a manner that could seem insulting or alienating to those of differing beliefs.

Well yeah, it's a useless gesture that would probably cause more harm than good. (I'm Catholic, not to popular on the Religious Right) I'm just saying that there's a way to do it.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:05 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Well yeah, it's a useless gesture that would probably cause more harm than good. (I'm Catholic, not to popular on the Religious Right) I'm just saying that there's a way to do it.

Because a silly and counterproductive way is still a way.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:08 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

.......have you read the ACA?

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:08 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Has anyone?

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:10 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Has anyone?

I don't even think the people who wrote it have, I was just pointing out how silly and counterproductive things are hardly foreign to our government.
Last edited by Tarsonis Survivors on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:10 am

Aethrys wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:Overreaction much? Look, yes it's silly. No, it doesn't call for anything as drastic as you suggest. Honestly, your suggestion only takes credibility away from the reasonable arguments here.

... What am I suggesting exactly? That those who wish to impose an oppressive theocratic worldview on others are in opposition to human liberty? I'd hardly call that suggestion drastic.

You're suggesting that some well-meaning, though obviously mislead, individuals should be considered enemies of the entire human race. Didn't you read what you typed?
I mean, I'm on your side, a state religion in the USA is a terrible idea. I disagree with them, but there's no need to be unreasonably harsh on the other side.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Aethrys
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Aethrys » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:11 am

Aethrys wrote:

Constitutional rights are already up to the whims of the SCOTUS. "Dread Scott" "Plessy vs Fergusson" Ring any bells?

Generally speaking justices need to have well reasoned arguments and legal precedent and so on and so forth supporting their decisions, if they'd like to avoid causing general unrest and a loss of faith in the justice system and so on. It's a bit harder to question them in the situation you propose. I mean they could flip a damn coin and who'd be able to argue it was flawed?
"Concentration of power in a political machine is bad; and an Established Church is only a political machine; it was invented for that; it is nursed, cradled, preserved for that; it is an enemy to human liberty, and does no good which it could not better do in a split-up and scattered condition." - Mark Twain

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:12 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Has anyone?

I don't even think the people who wrote it have, I was just pointing out how silly and counterproductive things are hardly foreign to our government.

It's certainly complex, but I don't think that it's counterproductive. Regardless, though, should we shouldn't encourage such things.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:17 am

Prezelly wrote:
Othelos wrote:So are you guys going to give up the pretense of caring about the founding fathers and what they thought?

Having a national religion does not infringe on the freedom of others to have their own religion

It's still a violation of the 1st amendment.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:17 am

Aethrys wrote:

Generally speaking justices need to have well reasoned arguments and legal precedent and so on and so forth supporting their decisions, if they'd like to avoid causing general unrest and a loss of faith in the justice system and so on. It's a bit harder to question them in the situation you propose. I mean they could flip a damn coin and who'd be able to argue it was flawed?

I could. Say the 28th ammendment established Kabbalah as the national religion. The Establishment Clause would still prohibit Congress from passing any Laws that respected an establishment of religion including the national religion The 28th amendment would then simply be a formality. The National Religion would be Kabbalah in the same way the National Bird is the Eagle. It's "official" but doesn't really mean anything.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:18 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Prezelly wrote:Having a national religion does not infringe on the freedom of others to have their own religion

It's still a violation of the 1st amendment.

not if it's created as an amendment.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:19 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

It's certainly complex, but I don't think that it's counterproductive. Regardless, though, should we shouldn't encourage such things.

Getting poor people health insurance by taxing the shit out them if they don't buy health insurance? Oh yeah that's not counterproductive at all.

Aethrys
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Aethrys » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:26 am

Aethrys wrote:

I could. Say the 28th ammendment established Kabbalah as the national religion. The Establishment Clause would still prohibit Congress from passing any Laws that respected an establishment of religion including the national religion The 28th amendment would then simply be a formality. The National Religion would be Kabbalah in the same way the National Bird is the Eagle. It's "official" but doesn't really mean anything.

... Sorry, not following. In that situation it's very clear that the establishment clause is being violated, making the proposed 28th amendment unconstitutional as it goes against the already existing first amendment. I admit my knowledge of constitutional law is not extensive enough to say whether or not one can amend amendments, if so I'd think altering the first amendment would be required, or if not an amendment to repeal the first amendment in it's entirety, followed by another to grant congress the power to establish a national religion.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:41 am

Aethrys wrote:

... Sorry, not following. In that situation it's very clear that the establishment clause is being violated, making the proposed 28th amendment unconstitutional as it goes against the already existing first amendment. I admit my knowledge of constitutional law is not extensive enough to say whether or not one can amend amendments, if so I'd think altering the first amendment would be required, or if not an amendment to repeal the first amendment in it's entirety, followed by another to grant congress the power to establish a national religion.

A. Yes one can alter, and/or repeal amendments. Example Amendment 21, and Amendment 18.

B. The Constitution cannot by definition be Unconstitutional. An amendment to the Constitution cannot be unconstitutional. It's not even logical.

C. The Establishment Clause would not be violated as it specifically refers to Congress making Laws. An Amendment is not a Law it is a change/addition to the Constitution.

EDIT: Even if you wanted to argue that an Amendment Violated earlier parts of the Constitution, it wouldn't matter. No court, not even the SCOTUS has the power to strike down any part of the Constitution.
Last edited by Tarsonis Survivors on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:06 am

Aethrys wrote:

If a new amendment contradicts an existing part of the constitution, then the new amendment takes precedence. There is still text in the constitution about stuff like slavery and prohibition, but it's no longer applicable because it was cancelled out by later amendments.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

United Prefectures of Appia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:04 am

The United Lands of Ash wrote:While the US was built on Christian principles the separation of church and state was clear.

And what Christian principles would you be referring to I'm curious? If you mean thou shall not steal, kill, bare false witness, then I hate to tell you that these golden rules have long predated the Abrahamic religion.
"But wait, I thought guns were bad." "FALSE! Guns are good! Infact, did you know that Jesus and Moses used guns to conquer the Romans?"
The silver bullet solutions to solve all of America's political crap in one shot: Wolf-PAC.com, MayDay.US, Represent.us

Solansica
Attaché

Founded: Apr 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Solansica » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:11 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:Pretty much what it says on the tin. In a poll by Public Policy Polling, and in response to the question "Would you support or oppose establishing Christianity as the national religion?" (Q17), 57% of Republicans interviewed stated that they supported this idea.

This strikes me as troubling. While it's no surprise that the GOP has leaned ever more right over the past few decades, and has pandered particularly to the religious right during that period of time in a mad scramble for votes, I find it disturbing that a majority of people in the party are so openly disdainful of the Constitution. Previously, the rhetoric was at least hidden behind a veil of "We respect everyone's right to believe as they wish". Now it's more of a "If you're not all about Jesus, then you're not really an American".

Thoughts?

There is the United States of Canada where all the secularists live, and there is Jesusland where the rest of us Americans (and a majority of us conservatives) live. :p

This is categorical mistake as it doesnt specify what is meant. Wanting Christianity to be (or remain) the national religion by virtue of most Americans claiming to be Christian is a very different question from asking if we want the established religion (church) to be a particular denomination (like the Church of England is to Parliament). If clarified most Conservatives would not support it).

Over 80% of Americans claim to be Christian. Why should it trouble you that conservatives want to conserve their heritage against secularist encroachment? There was a time (in my lifetime) where prayer and Bible reading daily exercised in the public schools. Until recently the Platform of the Democratic party invoked the name of God, whereas the GOP platform still does.

Before the cultural revolution of the 60s, one could say, God in America and nearly everyone knew that meant the God of the Bible. It was assumed that the ethical virtues of Jesus Christ (Love God with your whole being; love your neighbor as much as you love yourself; and treat others the way you yourself would want to be treated) were the American standards for civic virtue--not to mention work hard, keep your nose clean, and keep it out of other people's business (also Biblical). That our Founders considered the concepts of truth, justice and peace necessary to carry out the civic virtue that translated into Liberty and Equality was agreed by both Democrats and Republicans. And America was the better for it.

Conservatives are by nature conservative, changing little. We tend to react or respond only when encroached upon. Progressives by nature are given to radical change, and America has changed much in the past 40 years. When I was a child, JFK was considered slightly to the left and LBJ was far left. Today, Rush Limbaugh who holds nearly identical views to JFK is considered lunatic right, and people like McCain who hold similar policy issues to LBJ are considered "Right-Wing." Those of us who truly are right-wing (Barry Goldwater-Ron Paul types) are not even on the spectrum anymore).

What i find disturbing is that Secularists cannot stand the thought that I may be thinking that God, the 10 Commandments, The Golden rule and Protestant work ethic are pretty neat things worthy to be discussed in the public fora.
Last edited by Solansica on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nerotysia
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:31 am

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Repealing the bit that says that Congress shall make no law regarding the establishment of a religion seems advisable if one wishes to establish a national religion.

Unfortunately the USSC and decades of precedents disagree with you. A national church is unnecessary and archaic.

Bandwagon
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bandwagon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:34 am

It seems like the Westboro Baptist Church have taken over America.
Pro: Independent Northern Ireland as part of neither UK or Republic, Catalan/Scottish/Basque/Welsh/Northern English/Veneto independence. Socialism, Liberalism, Palestine, Environmentalism, Anti-Capitalism, Anti-Dictatorship, New Left-Wing/Liberal Political Party in Ireland.
Anti: Chinese Dictatorship, Capitalism, Dictatorship, Both Ukrainian/Russian Governments, War of all form, Violence of all form, Anything right of centre, Israel.
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.59

Proud Libertarian, Social Democrat. Live with it.
I'm Far Left Socially but Centre Left Economically.
I'm so cool that I'm an ENFP. http://www.16personalities.com/enfp-personality

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General