NATION

PASSWORD

What are some strange American customs?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jufonce
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 22, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jufonce » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:42 pm

People wearing no shirt and no shoes in stores.

Frenline Delpha
Senator

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Frenline Delpha » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:01 pm

Jufonce wrote:People wearing no shirt and no shoes in stores.

:palm: Each store has its own rules. Most stores forbid this.
I don't know how long I'll be back, but I just thought I'd stop in and say hi, at least.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:34 pm

The fact they apparently call Canada "America's Hat".

By this logic, we should be calling the USA "Canada's diaper" or "Canada's cushion".

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Zakuvia wrote:Unless they're Red Sox fans, in which case it's a death threat ;)

If this is a reply to what I said about "Yankee" not being an insult, then no. People can tell from context if you are talking about baseball or not, and "Yankee fan" is not the same thing as "Yankee."
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Italios
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:30 pm

In the south, Yankee sometimes is an insult. In the North East, it's not. In Boston, it's a declaration of war :twisted:
Issue Author #1461: No Shirt, No Shoes, No ID, No Service.

Kravanica
Senator

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:39 pm

Frenline Delpha wrote:
Burleson 2 wrote:Communism failed. Get over it.

Try telling China that.

China is not communist.
The Kravanican Realm (PMT)
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
My nation does not represent my RL views

American and Jewish
Conservatarian with various "right-wing" leanings

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:18 pm

New Hampshire Republic wrote:Super Bowl
World Series
Fourth of July (Woo, it's our independence day, LET'S BLOW SOME F*CKIN' SH*T UP!)
Fast food
Our music...its just....hm

Concerning US music, has anyone heard of US record label Karen Records.

Karen Records, Detroit, Michigan, USA, was one of four labels owned by Ollie McLaughlin. The other three were Moira Records, Ruth and Carla Records, all four labels were named after his daughters except Ruth

An example of there early music recordings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB-pRs4kc2E

But it seems has the years progressed and business got bad that they got involved in the following type of music which sold well in the US. The band in the following was under contract to them from 1983 to 2000. The song was a big hit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BUB7tjUDLM

So US music is not just in English.

Today, that record brand is mostly not doing much.
Last edited by Rio Cana on Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Burleson 2
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Burleson 2 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:31 pm

Kenora County wrote:Clapping at the end of a movie and eating pizza with ketchup

:clap:
Formerly Burleson: August 8, 2014-December 8, 2014
Permanent sig coming soon
Italios wrote:In the south, Yankee sometimes is an insult. In the North East, it's not. In Boston, it's a declaration of war.

Alveda King wrote:To equate homosexuality with race is to give a death sentence to civil rights.

Ieperithem wrote:Hopefully. A nation whose majority consists of "aspiring artists", SNAP recipients, and identity politics obsessed professional victims rather than policemen, engineers, and farmers isn't going to last long.

Lol Democracy wrote:We should give him a Qur'an with a picture of Mohammed as the watermark on every page, can't remove stuff from the Qur'an, can't make pictures of Mohammed > Islam Explodes

Burleson 2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Burleson 2 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Watching MSNBC
Italios wrote:In the south, Yankee sometimes is an insult. In the North East, it's not. In Boston, it's a declaration of war.

Alveda King wrote:To equate homosexuality with race is to give a death sentence to civil rights.

Ieperithem wrote:Hopefully. A nation whose majority consists of "aspiring artists", SNAP recipients, and identity politics obsessed professional victims rather than policemen, engineers, and farmers isn't going to last long.

Lol Democracy wrote:We should give him a Qur'an with a picture of Mohammed as the watermark on every page, can't remove stuff from the Qur'an, can't make pictures of Mohammed > Islam Explodes

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:09 pm

Risottia wrote:
Sheltton wrote:This question is for ones who are not from the U.S. and think some of the ways of American life is strange. To me it's our passion for American football (although i live in the south :P).

The American handegg (footballs are spherical and played mostly with feet!) instead of rugby, baseball instead of cricket, and those weird NBA rules (can't they just stick to FIBA?)
Guns everywhere
Meat costing less than lettuce
Most of goods rolling along on rails, but a negligible national passenger railway service
US customary units
Banknotes looking more or less all the same
Those weird, nasal American accents (well, except for Texas' - which sounds weird but at least is understandable when spoken slowly)
The American table manners
Drinking milk during meals
Tanks of purified water (I'm used to tap water being better than the average bottled mineral water myself)
Car engines with the torque of an European excavator and the power output of an European scooter (exaggerating a bit here, I know)
Men wearing hats in enclosed spaces
Houses made of wooden planks nailed to a wooden frame, and without proper foundations... in tornado areas!
Milk or cream in every coffee, and caffelatte being called "latte"... that is (in Italian), "milk"

edit, I forgot: the "sweet 16" thing, adulthood at 21, and school proms.

American table manners?

How is drinking milk during meals strange? What else do you drink with meals if not milk?

We build houses made of wood because using brick and stone is to expensive and no one wants to live in a concrete house. Wood looks nice.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:11 pm

Greater Nevadian Empire wrote:
Estva wrote:It's not standard but it sure as hell is English.

I agree. British English can be considered "standard" English because the UK is where the language first developed. As settlers moved to the Americas, Africa, and Australia, the local pronunciations and accents change.

"British English" isn't a thing. There's villages two miles apart with radically different accents.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:46 pm

Burleson 2 wrote:Watching MSNBC

Please. You can find channels with a center to center-left bias just about anywhere. Fox News is the oddball. Center- to hard-right news channels that aren't run by the government for propaganda are scarce internationally.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:53 pm

The public restroom stalls have these massive spaces that separate the "wall" and the ground that anyone can peek under. Let me take my private shit.

Gun culture.

Wearing shoes in the house - what the fuck are you doing there? You step in all sorts of shit and then you walk around the house and it gets everywhere. That's disgusting.

The obsession around college sports.

You wear shoes in the house! Why?!
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Italios
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:26 pm

Feeling boss because I was stalking looking around and found my own words in your sig. (!!)
Yes, you have permission to use them *cough cough*

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Calimera II » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Burleson 2 wrote:
Kenora County wrote:Clapping at the end of a movie and eating pizza with ketchup

:clap:

It's the same in Argentina. I don't think it's typically American, but it might be a strange custom.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Having to pay extra because the show price never includes the sales tax + tipping culture. Just include the goddamn things in the whole price.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Italios
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Italios » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:28 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:The public restroom stalls have these massive spaces that separate the "wall" and the ground that anyone can peek under. Let me take my private shit.

Gun culture.

Wearing shoes in the house - what the fuck are you doing there? You step in all sorts of shit and then you walk around the house and it gets everywhere. That's disgusting.

The obsession around college sports.

What kind of ignorant idiot wears shoes in the house?
No, I'm sorry, I can't, nope, I don't get it.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:29 pm

Calimera II wrote:
Burleson 2 wrote: :clap:

It's the same in Argentina. I don't think it's typically American, but it might be a strange custom.

I've never seen people clap after a movie.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Calimera II » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:31 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Calimera II wrote:It's the same in Argentina. I don't think it's typically American, but it might be a strange custom.

I've never seen people clap after a movie.

Oh, so it isn't typically American? Or maybe you just went to terrible movies. :p

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:49 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Wearing shoes in the house - what the fuck are you doing there? You step in all sorts of shit and then you walk around the house and it gets everywhere. That's disgusting.

Wipe your feet, problem solved.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:52 pm

Arkolon wrote:Having to pay extra because the show price never includes the sales tax + tipping culture. Just include the goddamn things in the whole price.

Oh, this. You go to a restaurant, and then you go to pay the bill and realize you have to add on 25-30% for tax and tip.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Burleson 2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Burleson 2 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:54 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Please. You can find channels with a center to center-left bias just about anywhere. Fox News is the oddball. Center- to hard-right news channels that aren't run by the government for propaganda are scarce internationally.

MSNBC is 85% biased, whereas Fox News is only 55% biased.
Source: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

Kalifati Arab shqiptar
Minister

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalifati Arab shqiptar » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:54 pm

Disinformation and xenophobia.

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:55 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Having to pay extra because the show price never includes the sales tax + tipping culture. Just include the goddamn things in the whole price.

Oh, this. You go to a restaurant, and then you go to pay the bill and realize you have to add on 25-30% for tax and tip.

It's annoying as hell.
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Burleson 2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Burleson 2 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:56 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:The public restroom stalls have these massive spaces that separate the "wall" and the ground that anyone can peek under. Let me take my private shit.

Exactly!!!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General