NATION

PASSWORD

Why do people hear voices in their head?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:11 am

Generally, scientists presume that it's caused by psychosis. However, other diseases and or environmental conditions can cause voices in one's head. These voices may be temporary, or occur often. Psychosis is a leading cause of auditory hallucinations, but excessive stress, anxiety, and many environmental conditions can cause them.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:46 am

Well, you've got self talk, also known as thinking. If you have OCD, like I do, sometimes you don't control your thoughts, they just repetitively say "you have aids" or something, but it's still in your voice. Then you've got the basic auditory hallucinations most people get, like hearing a million different voices saying your name. Then there are the extreme hallucinations schizophrenics get, and the ones from hallucinogenic drugs like salvia and LSD. Then there's that other thing, but we don't talk about that.
Last edited by Margno on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

Kuango
Secretary

Founded: Feb 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kuango » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:48 am

That would be the lord talking to them.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:28 pm

Nebalon wrote:Unfortunately our society glorifies mental health. Instead of committing suicide like they normally would (yes SAD, but less sad than school shootings and the like!!), we try to treat broken people that can't be fixed, they BREED, and now it's gotten to the point where apparently hearing voices is considered normal. Back fifty years ago we used to at least neuter these people, but liberal softies put a stop to that, so now they've bred and we all seem to think mental health problems are normal...

THEY'RE NOT.

I also admit that the poisons in our environment and pharmaceuticals have a lot to do with the world literally going crazy as well

If you'd left out your comment about mentally-ill people being "broken"and can't be "fix", you wouldn't be *** warned for trolling. ***
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:37 pm

I heard that if you accept the voices (that is, if you have any), they will stop being jerks and awful and instead give helpful advice where they can, like relatives.
At least that's what I'm getting from this study here:
British Journal of Psychiatry wrote:Differences in voice-hearing experiences of people with psychosis in the USA, India and Ghana: interview-based study

Method - An anthropologist and several psychiatrists interviewed participants from the USA, India and Ghana, each sample comprising 20 persons who heard voices and met the inclusion criteria of schizophrenia, about their experience of voices.

Results - Participants in the USA were more likely to use diagnostic labels and to report violent commands than those in India and Ghana, who were more likely than the Americans to report rich relationships with their voices and less likely to describe the voices as the sign of a violated mind.

Source

Conserative Morality wrote:I don't have voices in my head?

Seems like you aren't actually sure about it. :lol:
Last edited by Jute on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Previous

Return to General