NATION

PASSWORD

What Religion Do You Belong To?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What Religion Do You Belong To?

Christianity (Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, other)
41%
Islam (Sunni, Shi'ite, other)
4%
Hinduism
No votes
Buddhism
5%
Judaism
1%
Traditional
1%
Agnostic/Atheist
34%
Other (Please Specify)
14%

Total votes : 257

Asterdan
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 14, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Asterdan » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:16 pm

Skappola wrote:
Othelos wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but I think that they're kind of like evangelical-lite. Or something.

No, Charismatic Christianity is a movement which is a part of nearly every Christian Organization, including Catholicism. The idea is to mix the Rituals & Beliefs of your religion with the dancing, singing, and participation of Pentacostalism.

We sing hymns, but we definitely don't dance xD
Last edited by Asterdan on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can call me Aster. Yes, I did revive this nation... Again...

If you aren't hurting anyone, putting anyone in danger, or infringing on the rights of others, it isn't the governments business what you do.
Bill Weld 2020

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:19 pm

Skappola wrote:
Othelos wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but I think that they're kind of like evangelical-lite. Or something.

No, Charismatic Christianity is a movement which is a part of nearly every Christian Organization, including Catholicism. The idea is to mix the Rituals & Beliefs of your religion with the dancing, singing, and participation of Pentacostalism.

Not to mention the ridiculous gyration and slackjabbering for Christ that happens.

At the core, charismaticism is naught but a ridiculous belief that Jesus would think it pretty damned awesome if we all claps, jumped, and blabbered incoherent nonsense at one another in His name.

<suppresses shudder>
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Halstus
Secretary

Founded: Jan 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Halstus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:20 pm

Skappola wrote:
Halstus wrote:
Well Nationstates does have other participants besides those from western areas.

It's also worth mentioning that there's a higher influx of immigrants in countries like UK/US/Australia, where NS has firm grounding.

Furthermore, there's often freedom of religion to at least SOME degree in these areas. It's not like there's a mandate in any of these areas that one MUST be Christian, Jewish, or an atheist.

It can seem that way though. I have to knock myself out of surprise when I see someone of European descent who isn't one of the three. Bad habits die hard, unfortunately.

Yes, but if the "other" category was due to immigration and/or nonwestern members, then you would also see a larger Islamic, Buddhist, and Hindu sect, which is not present in this poll. Granted, the number of Buddhists is very, very slightly larger, but it's small enough that it's almost statistically insignificant.

The only nonwestern religions that I can think of which would be present in "Other", other than the ones I've mentioned earlier, would be Confucionism and Shintoism. Shintoism, however, could easily fall under traditional (And many Shinto practicioners also practice many aspects of Buddhism). That leaves Confucionism, which would likely come with a large number of Buddhists due to intermixing between people of the two faiths.

The other religions I mentioned earlier all exist in areas with large numbers of either Muslims or Hindus, which are mostly absent from the polls, except for Unitarian Universalism. I know that not many people practice Unitarian Universalism on these forums, which leads me to believe that the "Other" category is likely made up of Western Neo-Pagan belief systems (Note that I'm using that as an umbrella term, since it best describes these religions) and more vague spiritualist belief systems. I come to this conclusion after seeing the large number of participants on threads such as those which celebrate the solstice and other pagan discussion threads.

I find this interesting, because there has to be a reason why so many people on the forums follow these creeds. The Liberal Social attitudes play into this somewhat, but normally that leads to a mostly nonreligious community. That there is such a large spiritualist and/or neo-pagan community on here is interesting.

That puts a dent in my first two theories then.

The main reason why we might be seeing such a large spiritualist/neo-pagan community could just again fall to the freedom of religion thing. Nationstates seems to attract people who are interested in the mechanics of law, government, and politics. [In the long run, AND accounting only for people who play seriously on NS/II/maybe GE&T forums].

These are people who have probably been exposed to more ideas on a social context. Being exposed to different religions is one good example of being exposed more broad social context.
This nation does not reflect my personal beliefs.
NS game stats do not describe this nation well at all.

Economic Left/Right: -2.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.64

Transyl: They're new. Now it's time for me to greet the new comer the way I know best, by dropping a nuke on them. And if they survive my attack, then I will allow them to live on and never bother them again.
Halstus: The sole survivor takes you up on this offer. Since you will allow him to live on, he spends the rest of his life bombing your cities and indulging in his apparent political immunity.
Transyl: Eh I promised I would leave you alone, that doesn't mean my allies can't destroy you!
Halstus: He's in your nation now. To destroy him, they must bomb you.

Source
Secretary

Founded: Aug 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Source » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:21 pm

I don't really consider myself belonging to any religion. As time goes on art, spirituality, science and philosophy seem more and more interconnected for me personally. It would be a shame to stagnate and stick to one concept when there is not only so much ancient knowledge abound, but also potential to create new concepts.
About me
Likes: Philosophy, Science, Agnosticism, Direct Democracy, Socially Owned Co-ops, Workplace Democracy, Agnosticism.

Dislikes: Homophobia, Transphobia, Sexism, Racism, Conservatives, Dehumanization.

Political Spectrum
Left: 5.03
Libertarian: 1.68
Foreign Policy: -5.66 (Non-interventionalist)
Culture: -7.64 (Liberal)

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:23 pm

Skappola wrote:

Oh, ok.

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:23 pm

Asterdan wrote:
Skappola wrote:No, Charismatic Christianity is a movement which is a part of nearly every Christian Organization, including Catholicism. The idea is to mix the Rituals & Beliefs of your religion with the dancing, singing, and participation of Pentacostalism.

We sing hymns, but we definitely don't dance xD

White pentecostals don't dance, either.

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:26 pm

Halstus wrote:
Skappola wrote:Yes, but if the "other" category was due to immigration and/or nonwestern members, then you would also see a larger Islamic, Buddhist, and Hindu sect, which is not present in this poll. Granted, the number of Buddhists is very, very slightly larger, but it's small enough that it's almost statistically insignificant.

The only nonwestern religions that I can think of which would be present in "Other", other than the ones I've mentioned earlier, would be Confucionism and Shintoism. Shintoism, however, could easily fall under traditional (And many Shinto practicioners also practice many aspects of Buddhism). That leaves Confucionism, which would likely come with a large number of Buddhists due to intermixing between people of the two faiths.

The other religions I mentioned earlier all exist in areas with large numbers of either Muslims or Hindus, which are mostly absent from the polls, except for Unitarian Universalism. I know that not many people practice Unitarian Universalism on these forums, which leads me to believe that the "Other" category is likely made up of Western Neo-Pagan belief systems (Note that I'm using that as an umbrella term, since it best describes these religions) and more vague spiritualist belief systems. I come to this conclusion after seeing the large number of participants on threads such as those which celebrate the solstice and other pagan discussion threads.

I find this interesting, because there has to be a reason why so many people on the forums follow these creeds. The Liberal Social attitudes play into this somewhat, but normally that leads to a mostly nonreligious community. That there is such a large spiritualist and/or neo-pagan community on here is interesting.

The main reason why we might be seeing such a large spiritualist/neo-pagan community could just again fall to the freedom of religion thing. Nationstates seems to attract people who are interested in the mechanics of law, government, and politics. [In the long run, AND accounting only for people who play seriously on NS/II/maybe GE&T forums].

These are people who have probably been exposed to more ideas on a social context. Being exposed to different religions is one good example of being exposed more broad social context.

Perhaps so! The Open, experienced, and varied social views of those that visit this site could definitely lead to an increasingly large number of Spiritualist and Nontraditional religious patrons. Part of it may be due to the particular interest in Eastern Philosophy/Religion which many have here, which often emphasize the sort of Spiritualism which can be seen here.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

Halstus
Secretary

Founded: Jan 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Halstus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Skappola wrote:
Halstus wrote:

Perhaps so! The Open, experienced, and varied social views of those that visit this site could definitely lead to an increasingly large number of Spiritualist and Nontraditional religious patrons. Part of it may be due to the particular interest in Eastern Philosophy/Religion which many have here, which often emphasize the sort of Spiritualism which can be seen here.

That, compared to the level of liberalism here, could contribute to the deficit of Hindu/Muslims.

Most Hindu converts I see in the West are liberal Hare-Krishnas, whom Hindus I know refuse to associate with often due to liberalism.

Islam isn't (usually) compatible with a liberal mindset. This has nothing to do with terrorism. It's just a conservative religion in general.

So those in the West who are in more conservative religions (Christianity, Judaism) were either born into it, or were exposed to it more due to the high prevalance.

Buddhism more commonly has compatibility with liberalism. Not always, but more.
This nation does not reflect my personal beliefs.
NS game stats do not describe this nation well at all.

Economic Left/Right: -2.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.64

Transyl: They're new. Now it's time for me to greet the new comer the way I know best, by dropping a nuke on them. And if they survive my attack, then I will allow them to live on and never bother them again.
Halstus: The sole survivor takes you up on this offer. Since you will allow him to live on, he spends the rest of his life bombing your cities and indulging in his apparent political immunity.
Transyl: Eh I promised I would leave you alone, that doesn't mean my allies can't destroy you!
Halstus: He's in your nation now. To destroy him, they must bomb you.

Schiltzberg
Minister

Founded: Mar 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Schiltzberg » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:35 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Skappola wrote:No, Charismatic Christianity is a movement which is a part of nearly every Christian Organization, including Catholicism. The idea is to mix the Rituals & Beliefs of your religion with the dancing, singing, and participation of Pentacostalism.

Not to mention the ridiculous gyration and slackjabbering for Christ that happens.

At the core, charismaticism is naught but a ridiculous belief that Jesus would think it pretty damned awesome if we all claps, jumped, and blabbered incoherent nonsense at one another in His name.

<suppresses shudder>

Well put
Fan of: Baseball, Impractical Jokers, U2, Luxembourg, Chicago Cubs, Bob Dylan
Former President of the World Baseball Classic
Winners of World Baseball Classics 33, 35, 36, and 37
Proud Author of the World Baseball Classic History Factbook
Author of Poems, Poems II, and Poems III
Roman Catholic
High School Student
Creative Writer
From Chicago, IL, USA
Fan of NationStates and Jennifer Government