NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion: Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support an individual's right to have an abortion?

Yes, absolutely!
55%
Yes, but only in certain circumstances (please specify in a post)
26%
No, never!
19%

Total votes : 1938

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:48 pm

Pro-choice for sure. Women are the only ones who can decide whether or not they want to keep a kid. Men have no choice in the matter. People own their own bodies.
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Dragomerian Islands
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragomerian Islands » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:49 pm

Sanctissima wrote:This tends to be a touchy topic, but I'm curious.

What is your stance on abortion?

Up until fairly recently (in a historical context) abortion has been strictly condemned and restricted. Until the 1960's, abortion was (unless I'm mistaken) universally illegal. Within the past several decades, at least half of all countries in the world allow it in some form. Do you agree or disagree with a pregnant woman's (and in very rare, unique cases, a pregnant man's) right to have an abortion should they chose to do so? Do you think that it should be strictly denied, or fully permitted, or perhaps even permitted but only in special circumstances?

In case you're interested, I personally do not support abortion, with the exception of circumstances where the pregnant individual was impregnated as a result of rape, or the pregnancy could endanger their life. In such circumstances, I believe that it's not fair to force the person to go through with the pregnancy, since it was either not incurred willingly or it could threaten their life. I believe that otherwise, it's the person's responsibility to their unborn child to, at the very least, give birth to them. The individual had sex willingly, and knew that pregnancy could be a result. Thus, killing the fetus, in my opinion, is highly irresponsible.

Abortion is MURDER; however, it can be justified in cases of bodily harm to the mother or when the act of conception was forced.
Last edited by Dragomerian Islands on Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud Member of the following Alliances:
International Space Agency
IATA
:Member of the United National Group:
INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE SYSTEM FOUNDER
WAR LEVEL
[]Total War
[]War Declared
[]Conflict
[]Increased Readiness
[x]Peacetime
IMPORTANT NEWS:

None

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:
True, but isn't the alternative killing the unborn child?

Personally, I think that death overrides suffering, thereby overshadowing any possibility of a pro-choice person also being considered pro-life.

The alternative is removing the fetus, which results in the death of said fetus. I disagree, as I hold the woman is having more importance then the possibility the fetus will be born.

But with modern technology (although I suppose circumstances would be different in non-developed countries), a fetus' successful birth is almost a guarantee. Thus, isn't it better for the pregnant individual to endure several months of discomfort, rather than killing the unborn child? I think it's the lesser of two evils.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Arkolon wrote:
Merizoc wrote:…..Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that argument allow parents to kill their kids?

Kids can express opinions. When I said it was like euthanasia, I meant that the incapacitated patient has decisions made for them because they can't think for themselves. But yes, if a kid is so severely injured that they are only technically alive, and euthanasia is legal, the parents can have the kid killed.

Ah. The "unable to make decisions" part wasn't quite clear.

Aquesta
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aquesta » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:50 pm

District XIV wrote:
Aquesta wrote:
There's adoption you know my birth mother didn't want me but she was a decent human and instead of killing me she birthed me and put me up for adoption. I get to live and she gets to continue her life like normal best case scenario.

That's nice. Good to know any mother who aborts their fetus isn't a "decent human".

And adoption? Really? "Yeah, let's just burden the adoption system instead of aborting the child."

Yea lets just kill them off and while we are at it lets go kill all the sick and dying that will help out the system what a great plan sir.
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.26
Catholic, Fascist, Irish male.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Ripoll wrote:Abortions should be done very early in pregnancy

Before the fetus can fight back.

Killdash wrote:I'm pro-life or anti-abortion, though I disgress in some cases, (rape, incest, danger to the mother). But once you eliminate these, I see no reason why a baby shouldn't be born, considering that roughly 87% of abortions come from stupidly not using contraception, or just poor planning.

If you make such mistakes, you should have to live with them.

The most important thing to bear in mind when it comes to abortion is that outlawing it isn't going to stop it from happening. It's just going to make it so that, rather than being done by a trained doctor in a safe environment, it's done by a shady guy in some back alley. And that's how people get killed.

I'm dubious as to how ethical abortion is. But keeping it legal and accessible is much better than forcing people to choose between risking their life breaking the law and potentially ruining their life having an unwanted child.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:50 pm

Aquesta wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Adoption does not make up for the fact that she must carry you for 9 months. Her choice to continue to the pregnancy, not carrying the pregnancy does not mean she is an ass.

What the comfort of a woman for 9 months is worth more than a human life? What the fuck is up with your morals?

What you want to force the woman into virtual slavery, making her into nothing more then a human incubator, what the fuck is wrong with your morals. We all place value on certain people differently, I place a higher value on the woman and her right not to be forced to use her body against her will then on the possibility that the fetus will be born.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:51 pm

Aquesta wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Adoption does not make up for the fact that she must carry you for 9 months. Her choice to continue to the pregnancy, not carrying the pregnancy does not mean she is an ass.

What the comfort of a woman for 9 months is worth more than a human life? What the fuck is up with your morals?

And also the life the mother has after she births a child she may not have wanted.

Morals are irrelevant, for fuck's sake. Everyone has different morals, like it or not.

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:52 pm

Zottistan wrote:
Ripoll wrote:Abortions should be done very early in pregnancy

Before the fetus can fight back.

Killdash wrote:I'm pro-life or anti-abortion, though I disgress in some cases, (rape, incest, danger to the mother). But once you eliminate these, I see no reason why a baby shouldn't be born, considering that roughly 87% of abortions come from stupidly not using contraception, or just poor planning.

The most important thing to bear in mind when it comes to abortion is that outlawing it isn't going to stop it from happening. It's just going to make it so that, rather than being done by a trained doctor in a safe environment, it's done by a shady guy in some back alley. And that's how people get killed.

I'm dubious as to how ethical abortion is. But keeping it legal and accessible is much better than forcing people to choose between risking their life breaking the law and potentially ruining their life having an unwanted child.

That kind of follows the "well, if we outlaw drugs, people are just going to do them anyway" mentality. That rarely works as intended.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:52 pm

I don't support it after 12-16 weeks.

Nuwe Suid Afrika
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuwe Suid Afrika » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:52 pm

District XIV wrote:
Aquesta wrote:

And also the life the mother has after she births a child she may not have wanted.

Morals are irrelevant, for fuck's sake. Everyone has different morals, like it or not.

She could just give away the child.

But, you know most peoples logic is: "kill the kid, the 9 months that the mother has to go through is much more relevant anyways"

Economic Left/Right: -8.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.56

This nation supports my real life views.
Pro:
Stalinism, Authoritarianism, National Bolshevism, Palestine,

Anti:
Liberalism, Marxism, Anarchism, Israel, Zionism, LGBTBBQABC Rights
If you still believe the holocaust actually happened, you need to see this.

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Aquesta wrote:
District XIV wrote:That's nice. Good to know any mother who aborts their fetus isn't a "decent human".

And adoption? Really? "Yeah, let's just burden the adoption system instead of aborting the child."

Yea lets just kill them off and while we are at it lets go kill all the sick and dying that will help out the system what a great plan sir.

Wow, nice strawman. :roll:

I'm really not interested in arguing your bullshit if you're going to pin me as some genocidal maniac who wants to kill off most of the population in the name of relieving the system. More people to add to my foes list, I guess. *shrug*

My point was this: Yes, the mother can chose adoption if she pleases because it's her damn choice, but if she doesn't want a child and wants to abort it, she can.
Last edited by District XIV on Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:53 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Zottistan wrote:Before the fetus can fight back.

That kind of follows the "well, if we outlaw drugs, people are just going to do them anyway" mentality. That rarely works as intended.

It's the same mentality, at it works for drugs too. Hard to regulate an illegal industry.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Aquesta
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aquesta » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:54 pm

District XIV wrote:
Aquesta wrote:

Wow the woman who didn't want the child will have to put it up for adoption wow geez lots of hardship there.
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.26
Catholic, Fascist, Irish male.

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:54 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Aquesta wrote:

What you want to force the woman into virtual slavery, making her into nothing more then a human incubator, what the fuck is wrong with your morals. We all place value on certain people differently, I place a higher value on the woman and her right not to be forced to use her body against her will then on the possibility that the fetus will be born.

Well, that's a rather, umm, bleak view of parenthood.

But continuing with that line of thought, assuming the woman had sex voluntarily, she knew that pregnancy could be a result. Does she owe no responsibility the the unborn child whatsoever?

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:54 pm

Nuwe Suid Afrika wrote:
District XIV wrote:And also the life the mother has after she births a child she may not have wanted.

But, you know most peoples logic is: "kill the kid, the 9 months that the mother has to go through is much more relevant anyways"

The adoption system in the US is already far too overcrowded.

Killdash
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Killdash » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:54 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:

Using a child as a consequence? When the mother made a mistake? That hardly seems fair for the child.

So kill the child for the mothers mistake? No, we don't what that child will become. It's better to give him a shot at life, rather than make the choice for him/her.
How do you take your tea?: Seriously, very seriously.
Who the hell do you think you are?: I see myself as a mix of Don Quixote, Stephen Fry and 12 year old boy mixed into one very strange mind.
Are you always so modest?: Yes, though it takes a man of some character to pull it off.
Hey, your insensitive remark/insult/racial slur has me in a tizzy: Well, if you wish to cyber insult me, then do your worst.
Auremenas bitch
Roguishly good looking gentleman
Nationstates premier assassin for hire
For a small fee, of course.
5th spouse of Kannap (for 48 hours, but still counts)

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:54 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
The alternative is removing the fetus, which results in the death of said fetus. I disagree, as I hold the woman is having more importance then the possibility the fetus will be born.

But with modern technology (although I suppose circumstances would be different in non-developed countries), a fetus' successful birth is almost a guarantee. Thus, isn't it better for the pregnant individual to endure several months of discomfort, rather than killing the unborn child? I think it's the lesser of two evils.

Actually no it isn't, miscarriage is a relatively common thing before the woman even knows she is pregnant. I have heard numbers as high as 1/3 of all pregnancies end in miscarriage. No it isn't. You are in essence giving fetuses rights no born human is given. You are forcing her against her will to carry to term something that always medically affects her body, as well as normally causes a rather large financial and time based burden.
Just A Little though

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:54 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

The miscarriage rate is 10 to 15% with modern care.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Nuwe Suid Afrika
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuwe Suid Afrika » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:55 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Aquesta wrote:

Put them up for adoption.

Also, the whole thing about the 'human incubator'-- that's part of nature.
Last edited by Nuwe Suid Afrika on Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pro:

Anti:

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Zottistan wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:

It's the same mentality, at it works for drugs too. Hard to regulate an illegal industry.

Then isn't that just giving up?

"Well, if we add airport security, terrorists will just try to sneak onboard airplanes anyway".

"Well, if we keep denying Kim Jong-un as supreme leader of the world, he'll just keep pestering us anyway".

Nuwe Suid Afrika
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nuwe Suid Afrika » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Zottistan wrote:
Nuwe Suid Afrika wrote:

The adoption system in the US is already far too overcrowded.

So because it's too overcrowded we can just kill fetuses for no reason at all?

Pro:

Anti:

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Aquesta wrote:
District XIV wrote:And also the life the mother has after she births a child she may not have wanted.

Wow the woman who didn't want the child will have to put it up for adoption wow geez lots of hardship there.

Pregnancy is hard, it is long, it is a financial, time and medical burden the woman might not be able to deal with, and you are giving rights to fetuses that no born human has. Most pregnancies have medical affects long after the pregnancy.
Just A Little though

Dragomerian Islands
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragomerian Islands » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Sanctissima wrote:This tends to be a touchy topic, but I'm curious.

What is your stance on abortion?

Up until fairly recently (in a historical context) abortion has been strictly condemned and restricted. Until the 1960's, abortion was (unless I'm mistaken) universally illegal. Within the past several decades, at least half of all countries in the world allow it in some form. Do you agree or disagree with a pregnant woman's (and in very rare, unique cases, a pregnant man's) right to have an abortion should they chose to do so? Do you think that it should be strictly denied, or fully permitted, or perhaps even permitted but only in special circumstances?

In case you're interested, I personally do not support abortion, with the exception of circumstances where the pregnant individual was impregnated as a result of rape, or the pregnancy could endanger their life. In such circumstances, I believe that it's not fair to force the person to go through with the pregnancy, since it was either not incurred willingly or it could threaten their life. I believe that otherwise, it's the person's responsibility to their unborn child to, at the very least, give birth to them. The individual had sex willingly, and knew that pregnancy could be a result. Thus, killing the fetus, in my opinion, is highly irresponsible.

Abortion is MURDER; however, it can be justified in cases of bodily harm to the mother or when the act of conception was forced.

Why should a unborn child suffer death just because he or she was not wanted. In my opinion, the person to abort the baby should be guilty of man-slaughter.
Proud Member of the following Alliances:
International Space Agency
IATA
:Member of the United National Group:
INTERNATIONAL JUSTICE SYSTEM FOUNDER
WAR LEVEL
[]Total War
[]War Declared
[]Conflict
[]Increased Readiness
[x]Peacetime
IMPORTANT NEWS:

None

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:57 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:

The miscarriage rate is 10 to 15% with modern care.

Considering what it's been in the past, that's a fairly good percentage.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General