NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion: Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support an individual's right to have an abortion?

Yes, absolutely!
55%
Yes, but only in certain circumstances (please specify in a post)
26%
No, never!
19%

Total votes : 1938

The Confederacy of Nationalism
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:I am aware, but in *most* cases, that clump of cells will grow to be an actual human being.

And until they do, there is no argument against removing them from a woman's body or killing them.

Except... that it will most likely grow to be an adult, so if you remove the fetus from existence, you (most likely) remove a future adult from existence, as well.
Keep right -->
Don't give in to degeneracy,

My honor, my dignity, my pride above my life. No regrets.
American Ultranationalist
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler
Resident Social Darwinist

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:18 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:
East Catalina wrote:Thanks for telling me this.

If that were the case, euthanasia would be legal everywhere, which it isn't. Voluntary euthanasia is something I fully support.

Yeah, sorry, but just because you don't understand the legal precedent doesn't mean I'm wrong. It just makes you ignorant. There are, of course, exceptions. The Supreme Court stated that the right, like ANY right, isn't entirely absolute, and can be overridden given compelling State interest. If you can successfully argue that banning voluntary Euthanasia isn't a compelling state interest, you're welcome to try to take it to the Supreme Court. This has nothing to do with the fact that the Constitution protects the right to an abortion though.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:18 pm

And like I already stated through sarcasm that doesn't tend to work very well because it's hard for doctors to determine when a woman is in absolute danger even when they can see that they are in risk of a complication happening beforehand.

So? There must be just cause to believe a life-threatening complication may occur.

So basically you don't understand medicine and that disease doesn't happen automatically.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:18 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:So? There must be just cause to believe a life-threatening complication may occur.

At virtually any time during virtually any pregnancy.
Last edited by Russels Orbiting Teapot on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:If that were the case, euthanasia would be legal everywhere, which it isn't. Voluntary euthanasia is something I fully support.

Yeah, sorry, but just because you don't understand the legal precedent doesn't mean I'm wrong. It just makes you ignorant. There are, of course, exceptions. The Supreme Court stated that the right, like ANY right, isn't entirely absolute, and can be overridden given compelling State interest. If you can successfully argue that banning voluntary Euthanasia isn't a compelling state interest, you're welcome to try to take it to the Supreme Court. This has nothing to do with the fact that the Constitution protects the right to an abortion though.

Euthanasia is a medical procedure protected just like abortion is, I do not understand why you think euthanasia is somehow exempt from that constitutional right.
Keep right -->

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 pm

And until they do, there is no argument against removing them from a woman's body or killing them.

Except... that it will most likely grow to be an adult, so if you remove the fetus from existence, you (most likely) remove a future adult from existence, as well.

I am also most likely to win the lottery if I keep buying lottery tickets.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:20 pm

Well, if they had an abortion no they are not likely to grow into an adult. Potential is useless.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:20 pm

Mavorpen wrote:Yeah, sorry, but just because you don't understand the legal precedent doesn't mean I'm wrong. It just makes you ignorant. There are, of course, exceptions. The Supreme Court stated that the right, like ANY right, isn't entirely absolute, and can be overridden given compelling State interest. If you can successfully argue that banning voluntary Euthanasia isn't a compelling state interest, you're welcome to try to take it to the Supreme Court. This has nothing to do with the fact that the Constitution protects the right to an abortion though.

Euthanasia is a medical procedure protected just like abortion is, I do not understand why you think euthanasia is somehow exempt from that constitutional right.

I don't. Why don't you actually read what I posted?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:20 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:So? There must be just cause to believe a life-threatening complication may occur.

And, since the majority of pregnancies don't end in life-threatening complications, there's no just-cause for an abortion until one occurs.
Keep right -->

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:20 pm

I mean, my mom had to take meds for her womb to not just accidentally me, and even in that situation abortion would still be illegal.
Kotturheim's contagious despair.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:20 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Except... that it will most likely grow to be an adult, so if you remove the fetus from existence, you (most likely) remove a future adult from existence, as well.

Existence happens in the present, or you are removing future adults from existence every time you don't make a woman pregnant.

There are women out there right now, that you could be impregnating, and you aren't. Those people will never get a chance to live.

You monster.

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:21 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Euthanasia is a medical procedure protected just like abortion is, I do not understand why you think euthanasia is somehow exempt from that constitutional right.

I don't. Why don't you actually read what I posted?

Isn't an abortion a compelling state interest too?
Keep right -->

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:21 pm

Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:At virtually any time during virtually any pregnancy.

And, since the majority of pregnancies don't end in life-threatening complications, there's no just-cause for an abortion until one occurs.

"The majority of chest pains don't end in heart attacks, so there's no reason for you to worry about a heart attack ever until you have a heart attack"
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:21 pm

"Future adults" don't exist. Basing your views and opinions on things that aren't real is absurd.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:22 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:And, since the majority of pregnancies don't end in life-threatening complications, there's no just-cause for an abortion until one occurs.

To anyone? Because that ship has sailed.

To the woman in question? By the time that's recognized, it may very well be too late.

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:22 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Except... that it will most likely grow to be an adult, so if you remove the fetus from existence, you (most likely) remove a future adult from existence, as well.

Existence happens in the present, or you are removing future adults from existence every time you don't make a woman pregnant.

There are women out there right now, that you could be impregnating, and you aren't. Those people will never get a chance to live.

You monster.

That's bullshit, because only a fertilized egg will ever become an adult. Contraceptives are fine, they prevent said egg from ever being fertilized, but once you fuck up (as 95% of unintended pregnancies are the result of misuse or disuse of birth control), you can't really change your mine.
Keep right -->

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:22 pm

Olthar wrote:

"Future adults" don't exist. Basing your views and opinions on things that aren't real is absurd.

Or potentials.

You know, I always ask this and I have never gotten a satisfactory answer, doubt there's one but, how come the potential life takes precedence over the actual life of the woman, who's already present?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:23 pm

Mavorpen wrote:I don't. Why don't you actually read what I posted?

Isn't an abortion a compelling state interest too?

No. Only at a certain point, where the risk for complications has substantially increased, and so stricter regulations are necessary. It's precisely why the longer the pregnancy, the less chance that you will get an abortion for non-medical reasons.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:23 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Isn't an abortion a compelling state interest too?

Why would it be? How does it benefit the state to compel women to give birth to children they do not want?

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:23 pm

Olthar wrote:

It's gambler's mentality, basically.

"Well, I don't know whether or not I will have a heart attack, but fuck it, I'll stick lard in my veins because I shouldn't worry about it until I get a real heart attack"

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:23 pm

I am also most likely to win the lottery if I keep buying lottery tickets.

Not the strongest analogy, but it's pretty spot-on.
Russels Orbiting Teapot wrote:At virtually any time during virtually any pregnancy.

There is the potential for a complication to occur, though. A splinter may not have caused an infection in its wound, but it might. That's reason enough to remove it if you so desire. Not everbody wants to carry around an exponentially-growing organism for nine months, for fear that something might happen.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:23 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:And, since the majority of pregnancies don't end in life-threatening complications, there's no just-cause for an abortion until one occurs.

To anyone? Because that ship has sailed.

To the woman in question? By the time that's recognized, it may very well be too late.

tough luck, preventative measures as drastic as abortion really don't need to be taken when the odds of having said life-threatening complication are very, very slim.
Keep right -->

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:24 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:That's bullshit, because only a fertilized egg will ever become an adult.
Except when it doesn't, like in cases of miscarriage or abortion.
Contraceptives are fine, they prevent said egg from ever being fertilized, but once you fuck up (as 95% of unintended pregnancies are the result of misuse or disuse of birth control), you can't really change your mine.

Yes you can. By getting an abortion.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:25 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Olthar wrote:"Future adults" don't exist. Basing your views and opinions on things that aren't real is absurd.

Or potentials.

You know, I always ask this and I have never gotten a satisfactory answer, doubt there's one but, how come the potential life takes precedence over the actual life of the woman, who's already present?

Because the potential life may become a man. *nods*
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:25 pm

Olthar wrote:"Future adults" don't exist. Basing your views and opinions on things that aren't real is absurd.

It's gambler's mentality, basically.

"Well, I don't know whether or not I will have a heart attack, but fuck it, I'll stick lard in my veins because I shouldn't worry about it until I get a real heart attack"

You shouldn't worry about it until your health goes south, which, so far, mine hasn't. "most likely" I used because the chances that you'll die before reaching adulthood are relatively low here in the developed world.
Keep right -->

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General