NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion: Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support an individual's right to have an abortion?

Yes, absolutely!
55%
Yes, but only in certain circumstances (please specify in a post)
26%
No, never!
19%

Total votes : 1938

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:09 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
East Catalina wrote:In the hypothetical car crash, you don't really deserve anything, but in the interests of sympathy let's say that you ought to get to a hospital.

The Constitution protects the right to choose to have an abortion?

No, Roe v. Wade protects the right to choose to have an abortion.

Technically the current precedent is set by Planned Parenthood v Casey, but yes.
Last edited by Mavorpen on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:09 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:
Othelos wrote:Too bad you don't have the right to tell other people what they can or can't do with their bodies. Bodily sovereignty trumps right to life, and the courts agree.

It's not the woman's bodily sovereignty, genetically it is absolutely not hers, it's not the father's body either, it's independent.

We're talking about her own body.

If I latch myself to you, do you have a right to detach me at the risk of my death or not?
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:10 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:It's not the woman's bodily sovereignty, genetically it is absolutely not hers, it's not the father's body either, it's independent.

An independent multicellular microbioid, little different in organization and biological complexity from the stuff that born and die inside our guts everyday, without any of us even caring.
Kotturheim's contagious despair.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Even if someone else caused the crash?

You were probably driving in a manner that invited it.

It was all those drivers! They made me want to go poopy.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

The Confederacy of Nationalism
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Edgy Opinions wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:95% of unintended pregnancies are caused by misuse or disuse of contraceptives, and unintended pregnancy is the main reason why women get abortions.
This is why I do not support abortion unless the woman in question is either a rape victim or there may be life-threatening complications.
One shouldn't get to abort their fetus because they used contraceptives improperly or didn't use them at all.

Do you realize such a thing as contraceptive failure exists, right?

Or that you think people deserve to potentially die for the consequences of what they did? Because of a fucking non-person? (All pregnancies are potentially risky, and clandestine abortions even more so.)

As if we didn't kill animals for costly, unnecessary, counterproductive, wasteful, potentially hazardous (inflammatory, carcinogenic, highly fatty, more easily potentially contaminated) food resource or research guinea pigs all the fucking time who are much closer to humanity than all those senseless, worthless blobs of cells? Because of what YOU feel entitled to what OTHERS got to do with their OWN fucking lives? As if you held ownership over their genitals, and the blobs of cells weren't just a meaningless result from their own physiological function, that they can at any given time not desire because one's supposed to control their bodies to the extent of their personal comfort within the limits of science, and that "body" is no one else's because there's no cognitive or even neurological function at all to represent that in any meaningful manner?

People like you are fucking tiresome. Then people go and say misogyny is "rare".

Contraceptive failure is pretty rare, actually. A fetus, you see, is in the process of becoming an adult human being, and even though it is not conscious and cannot feel things, most fetuses make it there eventually.
Keep right -->
Don't give in to degeneracy,

My honor, my dignity, my pride above my life. No regrets.
American Ultranationalist
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler
Resident Social Darwinist

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:12 pm

Edgy Opinions wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:It's not the woman's bodily sovereignty, genetically it is absolutely not hers, it's not the father's body either, it's independent.

An independent multicellular microbioid, little different in organization and biological complexity from the stuff that born and die inside our guts everyday, without any of us even caring.

How much of the bacteria in your gut become adult human beings after 20 years?
Keep right -->

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:12 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Merizoc wrote:Even if someone else caused the crash?

You were probably driving in a manner that invited it.

Anyone driving in a red car is just asking to get in an accident.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:12 pm

Edgy Opinions wrote:Do you realize such a thing as contraceptive failure exists, right?

Or that you think people deserve to potentially die for the consequences of what they did? Because of a fucking non-person? (All pregnancies are potentially risky, and clandestine abortions even more so.)

As if we didn't kill animals for costly, unnecessary, counterproductive, wasteful, potentially hazardous (inflammatory, carcinogenic, highly fatty, more easily potentially contaminated) food resource or research guinea pigs all the fucking time who are much closer to humanity than all those senseless, worthless blobs of cells? Because of what YOU feel entitled to what OTHERS got to do with their OWN fucking lives? As if you held ownership over their genitals, and the blobs of cells weren't just a meaningless result from their own physiological function, that they can at any given time not desire because one's supposed to control their bodies to the extent of their personal comfort within the limits of science, and that "body" is no one else's because there's no cognitive or even neurological function at all to represent that in any meaningful manner?

People like you are fucking tiresome. Then people go and say misogyny is "rare".

Contraceptive failure is pretty rare, actually. A fetus, you see, is in the process of becoming an adult human being, and even though it is not conscious and cannot feel things, most fetuses make it there eventually.

Yes, but meanwhile, at any present stage before week 30, they are nothing but clumps of cells.

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:13 pm

If I latch myself to you, do you have a right to detach me at the risk of my death or not?

If the fetus is preventing a threat to the woman's life, I have already stated, abortion is a legitimate option.
Keep right -->

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Edgy Opinions wrote:Do you realize such a thing as contraceptive failure exists, right?

No a fetus is in the process of becoming a baby. Actually there are statistics that most unborn do not make it to being a baby, I have heard statistics as high as 1/3 of pregnancies end in miscarriage. Just so you know the typical failure rate of condoms is around 18%
http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/u ... ption.htm#
Last edited by Neutraligon on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Hi, Sancti! I love your name, by the way. It's quite pretty. :)

Usually the amount of people who abort in cases of rape or because of the "mother's health" is very low. People usually abort for other reasons, such as not having enough money, being scared of being abandoned by family, friends, boyfriends, etc.

Indeed, killing the fetus is irresponsible. It doesn't fix anything. That being said, how is killing a baby who was conceived in rape responsible?

I dunno if I'm just overthinking the name or anything, but I've seen the name 'Sanctissima' before. Would you happen to be Catholic?

1. You say the cases of rape or mother's health is low. How do you know that? Besides, you also assert that not having enough money or being scared of being abandoned is another reason to have an abortion, guess where that culture comes from?

2. Killing the fetus is not irresponsible. Like I noted in a prior talk with you pregnant women don't just go and expect to have a soccer match with their fetus. Also, killing a baby who was conceived in rape is far more responsible and merciful than having that child suffer his or her mother's resentment because her family and society forced her to have a baby that was the result of rape and she has a reminder for the rest of her life which she will loathe forever.

1.) I'm not saying it is a reason anyone SHOULD have an abortion, but it is a reason many people DO get abortions.
As far as the first part...let me go look...
http://www.abortionfacts.com/facts/8

Let me say that it is very hard to go find an unbiased source on the internet, and many medical journals have different statistics on this issue (not to mention many physicians nowadays are pro-abortion, so many journals also seem to have a pro-abortion lean.) Anyway, the data above does quote Dr. Guttmacher from Planned Parenthood, and several other doctors. So I think it carries some weight.

2.) Does killing the child really end the cycle of hatred that rape causes? I've actually heard several stories where women are happy they didn't kill the child. Sure, it's hard to bring a child conceived through rape into the world. It can be scary. At the same time, circumstances do not have to define you. A baby conceived in rape can still grow up to do amazing things, just like a baby who was conceived by a loving mother and father can. Sure, the former may not grow up in the same stable environment as the latter, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't give them a chance. You know what I mean?
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Edgy Opinions wrote:An independent multicellular microbioid, little different in organization and biological complexity from the stuff that born and die inside our guts everyday, without any of us even caring.

How many people are in death row?

East Catalina
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby East Catalina » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
No, Roe v. Wade protects the right to choose to have an abortion.

Technically the current precedent is set by Planned Parenthood v Casey, but yes.
Mavorpen wrote:
East Catalina wrote:The Constitution protects the right to choose to have an abortion?

It protects the right for doctors to practice freely and for their patients to have privacy between their doctors regarding medical decisions.

Abortion falls under that as it's a medical procedure like any other medical procedure like an organ transplant or a vaccination.

Thanks for telling me this.
United States of East Catalina, Caroga and the Catalina Islands
Mirajvor ni Mankrusa, Karoga ke Katalinsoqqvor
Estados Unidos de Catalina del Este, Catalina del Oeste y las Islas Menores

¡Adelante juntos!
Together forward!

Former colony of Spain (1547-1898) and the United States (1898-1946 in the East; 1898-1953 in the West) which underwent a civil war (1946-86) and is now recovering
Capital: Ocean City
Government type: Federal directorial parliamentary republic
39 states and 9 territories
Population: 248 million
Languages: Carogan, Spanish, English

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:14 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Contraceptive failure is pretty rare, actually. A fetus, you see, is in the process of becoming an adult human being, and even though it is not conscious and cannot feel things, most fetuses make it there eventually.

Yes, but meanwhile, at any present stage before week 30, they are nothing but clumps of cells.

I am aware, but in *most* cases, that clump of cells will grow to be an actual human being.
Keep right -->

Russels Orbiting Teapot
Senator

Founded: Jan 20, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Russels Orbiting Teapot » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:14 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Contraceptive failure is pretty rare, actually. A fetus, you see, is in the process of becoming an adult human being, and even though it is not conscious and cannot feel things, most fetuses make it there eventually.

A sperm cell, you see, is in the process of becoming an adult human being, and even though it is not conscious and cannot feel things, some sperm cells make it there eventually.

Edgy Opinions
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Edgy Opinions » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:14 pm

Edgy Opinions wrote:An independent multicellular microbioid, little different in organization and biological complexity from the stuff that born and die inside our guts everyday, without any of us even caring.

As many as all the spermatozoa likewise produced by my body in said time span. So far they're all potential origins of human life that might subsequently, using the bodily resources of somebody else, become people of their own, but right now, they're just microbes. So are the blobs of cells, even if now they at least have a genome more similar in kind to mine.
Kotturheim's contagious despair.
100% self-impressed 20-year-old cadoneutrois-pangender imprigender genderblur fluidflux bi-pan/gray-ace/gray-aro Brazilian.
Into: your gender, anarchism/communism, obliteration of kyriarchy, environment, other obvious '-10.00, -9.13 in political compass' stuff
Anti: your gender (undo it interacting with me), Born This Way (also medicalism/pathologization/eugenics), outer space, abuse/predation, owners, power, hierarchy, internalization/privilege goggles (essential to the continuity of identity with power/hierarchy systems), essentialism/determinism, nihilism/defeatism

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:14 pm

If the fetus is preventing a threat to the woman's life, I have already stated, abortion is a legitimate option.

And like I already stated through sarcasm that doesn't tend to work very well because it's hard for doctors to determine when a woman is in absolute danger even when they can see that they are in risk of a complication happening beforehand.

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:15 pm

East Catalina wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Technically the current precedent is set by Planned Parenthood v Casey, but yes.
Mavorpen wrote:It protects the right for doctors to practice freely and for their patients to have privacy between their doctors regarding medical decisions.

Abortion falls under that as it's a medical procedure like any other medical procedure like an organ transplant or a vaccination.

Thanks for telling me this.

If that were the case, euthanasia would be legal everywhere, which it isn't. Voluntary euthanasia is something I fully support.
Keep right -->

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:16 pm

I am aware, but in *most* cases, that clump of cells will grow to be an actual human being.

And until they do, there is no argument against removing them from a woman's body or killing them.

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:16 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:If the fetus is preventing a threat to the woman's life, I have already stated, abortion is a legitimate option.

And like I already stated through sarcasm that doesn't tend to work very well because it's hard for doctors to determine when a woman is in absolute danger even when they can see that they are in risk of a complication happening beforehand.

So? There must be just cause to believe a life-threatening complication may occur.
Keep right -->

New Werpland
Senator

Founded: Dec 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
New Werpland wrote:The Abortion issue actually demonstrates a flaw in Liberal philosophy, which is useful for propagating my own ideology.

Do explain.

I kind of exaggerated there, Abortion just presents an issue where the liberal system of supporting something based on freedom of choice becomes "evil" because it would be saying that people are free to murder children if they want to, this either forces people to reevaluate their philosophy and uphold abortion in a different way (such as identifying that a fetus is not a person), or they might just do that and ignore the philosophical implications.

I don't know what I was thinking when I made that original post, I probably just wanted attention. :(
Last edited by New Werpland on Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:17 pm

East Catalina wrote:Thanks for telling me this.

If that were the case, euthanasia would be legal everywhere, which it isn't. Voluntary euthanasia is something I fully support.

Euthanasia is already legal in Oregon and only one provider exist in the entire U.S. due to the fact that the other states have a griping fear of death, somehow.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:18 pm

3% isn't that rare. It's harder to catch most legendary Pokémon.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Luminesa wrote:
1. You say the cases of rape or mother's health is low. How do you know that? Besides, you also assert that not having enough money or being scared of being abandoned is another reason to have an abortion, guess where that culture comes from?

2. Killing the fetus is not irresponsible. Like I noted in a prior talk with you pregnant women don't just go and expect to have a soccer match with their fetus. Also, killing a baby who was conceived in rape is far more responsible and merciful than having that child suffer his or her mother's resentment because her family and society forced her to have a baby that was the result of rape and she has a reminder for the rest of her life which she will loathe forever.

1.) I'm not saying it is a reason anyone SHOULD have an abortion, but it is a reason many people DO get abortions.
As far as the first part...let me go look...
http://www.abortionfacts.com/facts/8

Let me say that it is very hard to go find an unbiased source on the internet, and many medical journals have different statistics on this issue (not to mention many physicians nowadays are pro-abortion, so many journals also seem to have a pro-abortion lean.) Anyway, the data above does quote Dr. Guttmacher from Planned Parenthood, and several other doctors. So I think it carries some weight.

2.) Does killing the child really end the cycle of hatred that rape causes? I've actually heard several stories where women are happy they didn't kill the child. Sure, it's hard to bring a child conceived through rape into the world. It can be scary. At the same time, circumstances do not have to define you. A baby conceived in rape can still grow up to do amazing things, just like a baby who was conceived by a loving mother and father can. Sure, the former may not grow up in the same stable environment as the latter, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't give them a chance. You know what I mean?

1) Source that doctors are pro-abortion.
2) End the cycle of hate, no. Give the woman one less reminder of the rape, yes. Some people are happy when they give birth despite the baby being a result of rape, others do not want to carry it at all and are happy having aborted. The point is these women made a choice.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

WestRedMaple
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Luminesa wrote:
WestRedMaple wrote:
Still not a real analogy. Let's make a better one: with the help of some new drugs that prevent rejection, I physically attach myself to you....do you feel you have any right to have me removed?

I can remove you, but I'm not going to kill you. I'll just take a crowbar and some oil and pry you off.

If we were comparing this to abortion, then abortion in this case would be like taking out a pistol and shooting you in the head for attaching yourself to me. Which would be inhumane and unreasonable, when, again, I can just pry you off and go along my merry way. Meanwhile, you are still living and capable of going on with your life.

You didn't answer.

You're adding things that have nothing to do with the scenario or the question.

Which is it: yes or no?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General