NATION

PASSWORD

Man at Walmart attacked for carrying gun with permit

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:55 am

Gauthier wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
It is becoming safer, even in the face of (possibly due to) record gun ownership.

Mutually Assured Destruction. It's not just for nukes anymore.

Any proof that the theory of Mutually Assured Destruction applies to this situation? Because only about 30-40 percent of Americans own a gun.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:15 am

Gauthier wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
It is becoming safer, even in the face of (possibly due to) record gun ownership.

Can't argue the facts so you just post irrelevant drivel. :lol2:
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:18 am

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

Any proof that the theory of Mutually Assured Destruction applies to this situation? Because only about 30-40 percent of Americans own a gun.

And the overwhelmingly vast majority of them are innocent, law abiding citizens, no matter how many time they are demonized by the GCFs. ;)
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

UpwardThrust
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby UpwardThrust » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:19 am

Something about the act of pulling the gun out of the car and strapping it on when entering wall-mart would set me off as well (now I would have called police instead of confronting that is a different can of worms)

For some reason there is a world of difference on seeing someone who a pre-holstered weapon who obviously has had some training (if only civilian CC training) and someone pulling a gun from a car and sliding it under his jacket.
++ 21,000 Jolt posts or so

Ive missed you all!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:23 am

UpwardThrust wrote:Something about the act of pulling the gun out of the car and strapping it on when entering wall-mart would set me off as well (now I would have called police instead of confronting that is a different can of worms)

For some reason there is a world of difference on seeing someone who a pre-holstered weapon who obviously has had some training (if only civilian CC training) and someone pulling a gun from a car and sliding it under his jacket.

Then you would have handled it properly and not committed assault.
Hail Satan!

Val Halla
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:24 am

Moron. It appears that some people just want to look cool without thinking stuff through. Late for the party.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Dei Vai Lexicon
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

I dont know

Postby Dei Vai Lexicon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:24 am

Im gonna say it's not a bad thing to bring a gun out into walmart as long as you dont have to use it. But i can understand if someone attacks you with a gun. Thats the only possible way i would use it, otherwise whats the point?

BlueShores
Secretary

Founded: Nov 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby BlueShores » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:27 am

Well, I do my best to avoid any store that is patroned by CC folks. I dont mind ex military or police officers carry weapons around me. It is the yahoos that think they are clint eastwood that are the most dangerous.

If I were unfortunate enough to be in a robbery situation in a walmart. I would prefer that NO ONE, but law enforcement and the criminals would be carrying weapons. The last think I need is some robber and CC holder shooting up the place. No thank you, here is my wallet and I will leave with my life. The CC folks can go ahead and have their guns taken out of their cold dead hands.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:27 am

Dei Vai Lexicon wrote:Im gonna say it's not a bad thing to bring a gun out into walmart as long as you dont have to use it. But i can understand if someone attacks you with a gun. Thats the only possible way i would use it, otherwise whats the point?

The whole point to carrying a gun is to defend against attack. The victim here showed remarkable restraint, and should be praised for it.
Hail Satan!

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:28 am

BlueShores wrote:Well, I do my best to avoid any store that is patroned by CC folks. I dont mind ex military or police officers carry weapons around me. It is the yahoos that think they are clint eastwood that are the most dangerous.

If I were unfortunate enough to be in a robbery situation in a walmart. I would prefer that NO ONE, but law enforcement and the criminals would be carrying weapons. The last think I need is some robber and CC holder shooting up the place. No thank you, here is my wallet and I will leave with my life. The CC folks can go ahead and have their guns taken out of their cold dead hands.

So you would have no problem with me carrying a gun. Nice to know.
Hail Satan!

Val Halla
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:29 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Dei Vai Lexicon wrote:Im gonna say it's not a bad thing to bring a gun out into walmart as long as you dont have to use it. But i can understand if someone attacks you with a gun. Thats the only possible way i would use it, otherwise whats the point?

The whole point to carrying a gun is to defend against attack. The victim here showed remarkable restraint, and should be praised for it.

And there are reasons for laws against vigilantism. It's so you don't get shot. :D
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:30 am

Val Halla wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

And there are reasons for laws against vigilantism. It's so you don't get shot. :D

Very true. The assailant is lucky to have not been shot.
Hail Satan!

BlueShores
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby BlueShores » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:32 am

Big Jim P wrote:
BlueShores wrote:Well, I do my best to avoid any store that is patroned by CC folks. I dont mind ex military or police officers carry weapons around me. It is the yahoos that think they are clint eastwood that are the most dangerous.

I dont have a problem with trained professionals handling weapons around me. Most ex military folks are typically very disciplined with their weapons... police the same. It is the mom that carries her weapon into walmart to only be shot by her own child is what I find frightening.

Val Halla
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Val Halla » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:33 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Val Halla wrote:And there are reasons for laws against vigilantism. It's so you don't get shot. :D

Very true. The assailant is lucky to have not been shot.

As much as I hate to admit it, if some guy attacked me for no reason, I'd probably shoot him. Attack was unwarranted, victim responded well.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~
WOMAN

She/her

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:36 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:Any proof that the theory of Mutually Assured Destruction applies to this situation? Because only about 30-40 percent of Americans own a gun.

And the overwhelmingly vast majority of them are innocent, law abiding citizens, no matter how many time they are demonized by the GCFs. ;)

One shooting = Gun Regulation Doesn't Work
One shooting- BUT THE MAJORITY OF GUN OWNERS ARE LAW ABIDING!!!!
Consistency as always.

MAD isn't some scientific theorem, it's policy. The threat of retaliatory action prevents any side from making the first move. Applies to guns as well as nuclear weapons. And of course anyone who's seen as not a member of the exclusive Nuclear/Gun Club are perceived to be vulnerable to invasion/exploitation like with the case of Iraq. Or people living next to douchebags with "My Neighbor Doesn't Have a Gun" signs. And before you get all false equivalence with "Blah Blah Blah Gun Control Freak Media Leaked Addresses Of Gun Owners Blah Blah Blah" again, what's the most damaging thing that can happen to someone who's revealed to be a gun owner? "Don't fuck with this one, s/he has a gun"? Compare that to a sign that screams "My neighbor is unarmed, feel free to rob and do whatever you feel like because s/he can't shoot back!" And please don't be disingenuous with "They might be attacked for having guns". Because isn't that why they bought a gun in the first place?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Neoconstantius
Minister

Founded: Nov 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neoconstantius » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:44 am

Hell, my local Walmart sells all sorts of firearms and ammo...
GO ILLINI
Ja Rusyn byl, jesm'y budu.
Podkarpatskie Rusyny, ostavte hlubokyj son!
Sloboda! Autonómia! Nezávislosť!

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:49 am

BlueShores wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

I dont have a problem with trained professionals handling weapons around me. Most ex military folks are typically very disciplined with their weapons... police the same. It is the mom that carries her weapon into walmart to only be shot by her own child is what I find frightening.

Police miss half of their shots at 7 yards under stressful situations, and on average only get 10-15 hours of range time a year. I have more training than some police with a firearm, and I generally get more range time than a police officer.

Now you see there are less than 1,000 accidental deaths involving a firearm in the united states, drowning is a much greater risk. There are 3 times as many car deaths in the United States than firearm related homicides. They just aren't the great risk that people like to paint them as.

Gauthier wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Consistency as always.

Is there something wrong with that? There are stabbings in the United States, should we ban knives? What about arms and legs, because those are used for lots of assaults and murders.

Most gun owners are law abiding, there are 300 million guns in the United states and around only 150,000 gun injuries and deaths in the united states.
MAD isn't some scientific theorem, it's policy. The threat of retaliatory action prevents any side from making the first move. Applies to guns as well as nuclear weapons. And of course anyone who's seen as not a member of the exclusive Nuclear/Gun Club are perceived to be vulnerable to invasion/exploitation like with the case of Iraq. Or people living next to douchebags with "My Neighbor Doesn't Have a Gun" signs. And before you get all false equivalence with "Blah Blah Blah Gun Control Freak Media Leaked Addresses Of Gun Owners Blah Blah Blah" again, what's the most damaging thing that can happen to someone who's revealed to be a gun owner? "Don't fuck with this one, s/he has a gun"? Compare that to a sign that screams "My neighbor is unarmed, feel free to rob and do whatever you feel like because s/he can't shoot back!" And please don't be disingenuous with "They might be attacked for having guns". Because isn't that why they bought a gun in the first place?

Accept in general the number of households that own guns in the United States has been decreasing over the last 20 years.
Fact Book.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:57 am

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
Consistency as always.

Is there something wrong with that? There are stabbings in the United States, should we ban knives? What about arms and legs, because those are used for lots of assaults and murders.

Regulation =/= Banning

It says much when anyone so much as suggests there should be an effort to close loopholes like gun shows, internet and private exchanges that lets a few would-be mass shooters get their wares without so much as a red flag and a chorus screams "DEY'RE TAYKIN OUR GUNZ!!"

Most gun owners are law abiding, there are 300 million guns in the United states and around only 150,000 gun injuries and deaths in the united states.

You might have noticed that comment was a snide observation on how a single shooting is held up as irrefutable proof by gun nuts that every and all forms of gun regulation DO NOT WORK, while at the same time a single shooting somehow doesn't reflect badly on the relatively lax state of gun ownership.
Last edited by Gauthier on Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

BlueShores
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby BlueShores » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:00 am

Spirit of Hope wrote:Police miss half of their shots at 7 yards under stressful situations, and on average only get 10-15 hours of range time a year. I have more training than some police with a firearm, and I generally get more range time than a police officer.

Now you see there are less than 1,000 accidental deaths involving a firearm in the united states, drowning is a much greater risk. There are 3 times as many car deaths in the United States than firearm related homicides. They just aren't the great risk that people like to paint them as.

And here lies one of many problems in the fun community....

It aint about your aim. It is about your decision making. Professionals are trained in both accuracy and decision making. Any idiot can pull a trigger.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:02 am

BlueShores wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:Police miss half of their shots at 7 yards under stressful situations, and on average only get 10-15 hours of range time a year. I have more training than some police with a firearm, and I generally get more range time than a police officer.

It aint about your aim. It is about your decision making. Professionals are trained in both accuracy and decision making. Any idiot can pull a trigger.

And with a few people, holding a gun suddenly inhibits discretion in decision-making. "I'll try not to make waves" suddenly becomes "If I get touched in the slightest I'll gun 'em down". Even more pronounced during arguments.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:09 am

BlueShores wrote:

And the police have shown upstanding decision making in recent shooting?

Gauthier wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:Is there something wrong with that? There are stabbings in the United States, should we ban knives? What about arms and legs, because those are used for lots of assaults and murders.

Regulation =/= Banning

It says much when anyone so much as suggests there should be an effort to close loopholes like gun shows, internet and private exchanges that lets a few would-be mass shooters get their wares without so much as a red flag and a chorus screams "DEY'RE TAYKIN OUR GUNZ!!"

You might have noticed that comment was a snide observation on how a single shooting is held up as irrefutable proof by gun nuts that every and all forms of gun regulation DO NOT WORK, while at the same time a single shooting somehow doesn't reflect badly on the relatively lax state of gun ownership.

See I agree there are loopholes that need to be closed, even Big Jim agrees on that. You just keep making snide comments with no proof. Show me that there is a major problem with people getting guns and deciding to shoot anyone who "sneezes on them".
Fact Book.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General