NATION

PASSWORD

Kentucky senator proposes transphobic bathroom "bounty"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Imperialpowersofkorea
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperialpowersofkorea » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:47 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Imperialpowersofkorea wrote:
I am sorry sir but I doubt that a vast majority of people would like transgender/homosexuals in the bathroom with them, there should be a reason that a person as distinguished as a senator would put forth such a law. I don't think he is foolish and he is a man representing the views of his constituency so I highly doubt it

Explain to me what this State Senator (he does not represent the entire State of Kentucky, only part of it) is proposing. I think you don't understand it.

However, he is concerned that transgender students using the facilities of their choice may “make members of the opposite biological sex uncomfortable.”

Quoting a part of the op, it is crystal clear what he wants and it is a justified demand as it would clearly make people uncomfortable, I am not going to cheapen this argument by going into the crass details of it.

He represents the views of his constituency and not the entire state and he is putting forward the views and ideas of his constituents.
This is Manisdog

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:51 am

Farnhamia wrote:Explain to me what this State Senator (he does not represent the entire State of Kentucky, only part of it) is proposing. I think you don't understand it.

However, he is concerned that transgender students using the facilities of their choice may “make members of the opposite biological sex uncomfortable.”

Quoting a part of the op, it is crystal clear what he wants and it is a justified demand as it would clearly make people uncomfortable, I am not going to cheapen this argument by going into the crass details of it.

He represents the views of his constituency and not the entire state and he is putting forward the views and ideas of his constituents.

You left out the part where other students could sue the school district if they suspected that a trans person was in the "wrong" restroom. And again, I very much suspect that most people could not tell a trans person from a non-trans person. Trans people do not go into restrooms looking for sex, they go there to answer a call of nature.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Imperialpowersofkorea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperialpowersofkorea » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:56 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Imperialpowersofkorea wrote:However, he is concerned that transgender students using the facilities of their choice may “make members of the opposite biological sex uncomfortable.”

You left out the part where other students could sue the school district if they suspected that a trans person was in the "wrong" restroom. And again, I very much suspect that most people could not tell a trans person from a non-trans person. Trans people do not go into restrooms looking for sex, they go there to answer a call of nature.

If they cannot tell the difference than it would also mean that there is no discomfort caused and thus it would not be an offense ?
This is Manisdog

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:57 am

Farnhamia wrote:Explain to me what this State Senator (he does not represent the entire State of Kentucky, only part of it) is proposing. I think you don't understand it.

If you're uncomfortable with a situation, isn't it on you to remove yourself from that situation?
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:01 am

Desperate Measures wrote:
Imperialpowersofkorea wrote:However, he is concerned that transgender students using the facilities of their choice may “make members of the opposite biological sex uncomfortable.”

If you're uncomfortable with a situation, isn't it on you to remove yourself from that situation?

Depends on how you feel about plurality.

If one person causes discomfort to many, isn't it on them to remove themselves from that situation? A streaker might cause awkwardness at a baseball game due to defying our social norms of clothing; we don't shut down the game and eject the crowd though, we arrest/eject the streaker.

Mind you, I'm not saying they're analogous situations. But your argument is faulty if you're arguing the larger offended party has a duty to accommodate the smaller in an unreasonable manner.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:06 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:If you're uncomfortable with a situation, isn't it on you to remove yourself from that situation?

If one person causes discomfort to many, isn't it on them to remove themselves from that situation? A streaker might cause awkwardness at a baseball game due to defying our social norms of clothing; we don't shut down the game and eject the crowd though, we arrest/eject the streaker.

Mind you, I'm not saying they're analogous situations. But your argument is faulty if you're arguing the larger offended party has a duty to accommodate the smaller in an unreasonable manner.

I was basically saying that no one is forcing you to pee next to someone you don't want to pee next to. I wasn't thinking much bigger than that.
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:07 am

I was basically saying that no one is forcing you to pee next to someone you don't want to pee next to. I wasn't thinking much bigger than that.

We actually had someone here say they held it all day in order to avoid the school restrooms. See? It is possible.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:13 am

Desperate Measures wrote:I was basically saying that no one is forcing you to pee next to someone you don't want to pee next to. I wasn't thinking much bigger than that.

Sure, that's a valid argument in that case. But the root of this legislation isn't about such a narrow situation; its about public squeamishness when contemplating the idea of sharing fairly vulnerable facilities with someone who isn't like them. In the same way a girl's locker room might not be happy about the male coach walking in even if everyone is fully clothed, the people of Kentucky are a bit put off by the idea of transgendered/whathaveyou individuals sharing their bathrooms. It's an attitude born out of social mores, and though I don't see it as much of an immediate issue, it is one that should be addressed in the near future.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:13 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:I was basically saying that no one is forcing you to pee next to someone you don't want to pee next to. I wasn't thinking much bigger than that.

We actually had someone here say they held it all day in order to avoid the school restrooms. See? It is possible.

Maybe a law should be passed just for this person. We'll call him Jeff. All places that have public restrooms will also have a Jeff Restroom. It will have one of those read your eyeball security things so that only that particular Jeff can use the Jeff Restroom™.
Also, me.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:16 am

Sure, that's a valid argument in that case. But the root of this legislation isn't about such a narrow situation; its about public squeamishness when contemplating the idea of sharing fairly vulnerable facilities with someone who isn't like them. In the same way a girl's locker room might not be happy about the male coach walking in even if everyone is fully clothed, the people of Kentucky are a bit put off by the idea of transgendered/whathaveyou individuals sharing their bathrooms. It's an attitude born out of social mores, and though I don't see it as much of an immediate issue, it is one that should be addressed in the near future.

Should there be a separate bathroom for bisexuals and homosexuals?
Also, me.

Imperialpowersofkorea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperialpowersofkorea » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:18 am

I don't think the majority should suffer.
This is Manisdog

Orles
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Orles » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:21 am

Farnhamia wrote:We actually had someone here say they held it all day in order to avoid the school restrooms. See? It is possible.

Maybe a law should be passed just for this person. We'll call him Jeff. All places that have public restrooms will also have a Jeff Restroom. It will have one of those read your eyeball security things so that only that particular Jeff can use the Jeff Restroom™.

Honestly stealing someone's eyes would be worth it for a private restroom.
I don't know about happiness, but virtue's overrated

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:21 am

Desperate Measures wrote:If you're uncomfortable with a situation, isn't it on you to remove yourself from that situation?

They aren't suffering now.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:22 am

I think the majority would really just be more concerned about the cleanliness of the facility in which they piss. I don't think the majority is really all that interested in what might be in the pants of a stranger when they have to make a bowel movement. I don't think you are the voice of the majority.
Also, me.

Independent Republic of Not My Problem
Envoy

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Independent Republic of Not My Problem » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:23 am

If you have a penis, use the men's room. If you have a vagina, use the lady's room.
If we let anyone use whatever bathroom they what then women will just start using the men's room and I'll have to wait in a long ass line to take a piss at football games. If I have to take piss and am in a long ass line to the bathroom, I am pissing on your grandma. Or, at the very least, I will piss off the side of the stadium.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:25 am

Independent Republic of Not My Problem wrote:If you have a penis, use the men's room. If you have a vagina, use the lady's room.
If we let anyone use whatever bathroom they what then women will just start using the men's room and I'll have to wait in a long ass line to take a piss at football games. If I have to take piss and am in a long ass line to the bathroom, I am pissing on your grandma. Or, at the very least, I will piss off the side of the stadium.

At which point you will be arrested, have fun with that.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:25 am

Independent Republic of Not My Problem wrote:If you have a penis, use the men's room. If you have a vagina, use the lady's room.

No woman wants to use the men's restroom. Don't worry.
Also, me.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:26 am

Neutraligon wrote:

At which point you will be arrested, have fun with that.

And I'm pretty sure the toilet facilities in jail are a real adventure.

Imperialpowersofkorea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperialpowersofkorea » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:30 am

Imperialpowersofkorea wrote:I don't think the majority should suffer.

I think the majority would really just be more concerned about the cleanliness of the facility in which they piss. I don't think the majority is really all that interested in what might be in the pants of a stranger when they have to make a bowel movement. I don't think you are the voice of the majority.

I am not the voice of the majority, I am talking about the particular senator who is representing the views of his constituents, I have no authority to make laws and this is not a personal argument as I am not that senator, Would it cause discomfort to a man if a female enters inside a male bathroom,yes, and would it cause discomfort to women if men go inside a female bathroom, the answer is yes. There is clear indication that some kind of discomfort would be caused, I am also seeing this as a polite way to discourage sexual deviancy but I am not getting there for now
This is Manisdog

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:32 am

Desperate Measures wrote:I think the majority would really just be more concerned about the cleanliness of the facility in which they piss. I don't think the majority is really all that interested in what might be in the pants of a stranger when they have to make a bowel movement. I don't think you are the voice of the majority.

I am not the voice of the majority, I am talking about the particular senator who is representing the views of his constituents, I have no authority to make laws and this is not a personal argument as I am not that senator, Would it cause discomfort to a man if a female enters inside a male bathroom,yes, and would it cause discomfort to women if men go inside a female bathroom, the answer is yes. There is clear indication that some kind of discomfort would be caused, I am also seeing this as a polite way to discourage sexual deviancy but I am not getting there for now

That discomfort is solely because society has raised people to feel that discomfort (and actually no, I have never felt that discomfort). Time was bathrooms where all unisex.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:34 am

Farnhamia wrote:I suspect that the "vast majority" of people don't care. As for having a trans-gender person in the bathroom with you, I doubt you would even notice. This may come as a shock to you but not all non-heterosexual people are sex maniacs.

I am sorry sir but I doubt that a vast majority of people would like transgender/homosexuals in the bathroom with them, there should be a reason that a person as distinguished as a senator would put forth such a law. I don't think he is foolish and he is a man representing the views of his constituency so I highly doubt it

The only way you'd know a transsexual was in the restroom with you was if you liked to stare at other people's genitals. And that would speak volumes in and of itself.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:34 am

Desperate Measures wrote:I think the majority would really just be more concerned about the cleanliness of the facility in which they piss. I don't think the majority is really all that interested in what might be in the pants of a stranger when they have to make a bowel movement. I don't think you are the voice of the majority.

What are you doing in the bathroom? What do you think goes on in there?

Senators are not popes. They are sometimes wrong. We are talking about people who identify as a gender. And honestly, there is more physical abuse done to transgendered people from cis people than the other way around. It's also a safety issue. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... om&spell=1
Also, me.

Orles
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Orles » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:41 am

Although I try to be open-minded, I feel I would be more uncomfortable if someone that looked like a woman (but had a penis) walked into the men's bathroom than if someone who looked like a man and whose genitals I wouldn't be looking at did.

And why are you trying to discourage sexual deviancy? It's fun.
I don't know about happiness, but virtue's overrated

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:58 am

Desperate Measures wrote:There are so many people I'd rather not share a bathroom with. Luckily, public restrooms aren't that intimate. Is there something other people do in there that I don't know about?

I hear teenage girls sometimes go there to gossip out of the hearing of teenage boys.

Ifreann wrote:Ideally they should be live their lives as they see fit and not have people like you causing problems for them.

To be perfectly honest I wouldn't care.

I'm sure you have great insight into the mindsets of other posters here, person who joined the forum today. :roll:

I don't think you are seeing what a vast majority of people are seeing this senator is actually right

I'm sure I'm not seeing it. I'm also sure that I'm not seeing it because it isn't real and I happen not to buy into the same scaremongering that this senator and your alleged majority do.

Farnhamia wrote:We actually had someone here say they held it all day in order to avoid the school restrooms. See? It is possible.

I think we should call it the Jeffroom for short.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:59 am

Ifreann wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:Maybe a law should be passed just for this person. We'll call him Jeff. All places that have public restrooms will also have a Jeff Restroom. It will have one of those read your eyeball security things so that only that particular Jeff can use the Jeff Restroom™.

I think we should call it the Jeffroom for short.

This is why you are on the team.
Also, me.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General