NATION

PASSWORD

was Sigmund Freud credible?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

was Sigmund Freud credible?

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:07 pm

I know that it may sound crazy and all but was he really? Of course we wouldn't have modern day psychology with out him. But as I do recall he was addicted to Opium/Heroin he was a pedophile and was on the perverted side. I herd today in a conversation I had that he toyed with his feices. So with all these things adding up does he seem credible I say no personally I find this disturbing and a lot of his theories disturbing and how his mother problems played a roll in it too. So what say you NS? Do you agree or disagree?
نحن أبناء الإسلام التي أثارها الهدى والنور من الاسود مثل الشيخ أسامة ورفيقه أيمن مليئة شجاعة مثل أبو مصعب والأمير خطاب نموذجنا دور محمد الحبيب هو لدينا الضوء والمعلم ويترك كافة الأمر إلى الله
GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I support a FreeSyriaDo you?
http://ahraralsham.net/
Want to add me on kik? send me a TG!

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:08 pm

The fact he blamed almost everything on mothers is a bit disturbing.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Cyrisnia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:08 pm

OP obviously has a problem with his dad and penis. :p
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man
410,757,864,530 DEAD REBS

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:09 pm

Funny guy, I think people take him too seriously.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:09 pm

You need to source the pedophile bit, even though it isn't relevant to his credibility at all.
Insert trite farewell here

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:10 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:The fact he blamed almost everything on mothers is a bit disturbing.

It's also not exactly true unless we're only focusing on the pop-culture version of Freud.

-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Mushet wrote:Funny guy, I think people take him too seriously.

It was all satire HAHA :)
نحن أبناء الإسلام التي أثارها الهدى والنور من الاسود مثل الشيخ أسامة ورفيقه أيمن مليئة شجاعة مثل أبو مصعب والأمير خطاب نموذجنا دور محمد الحبيب هو لدينا الضوء والمعلم ويترك كافة الأمر إلى الله
GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:10 pm

No of course not. Modern psychologists reject his theories as pseudoscience. His method of creating un falsifiable psudoscientific claims to justify his preconceived conclusions is reminiscent of the methods of modern evolutionary psychologists.
Did you see a ghost?

Nuwe Suid Afrika
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuwe Suid Afrika » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:12 pm

Just because he was an absolute madman (probably with a mental illness of sorts) doesn't change the fact that he was an astonishing neurologist, or the fact that many of his ideas and works helped shape neurology today.

Economic Left/Right: -8.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.56

This nation supports my real life views.
Pro:
Stalinism, Authoritarianism, National Bolshevism, Palestine,

Anti:
Liberalism, Marxism, Anarchism, Israel, Zionism, LGBTBBQABC Rights
If you still believe the holocaust actually happened, you need to see this.

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:12 pm

Freud's problem was that he wanted to have sex with his mother, and the first time he saw a naked woman he got super paranoid that his father was gonna cut his penis off. Everything else he did pretty much stemmed from that.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:12 pm

Natapoc wrote:No of course not. Modern psychologists reject his theories as pseudoscience. His method of creating un falsifiable psudoscientific claims to justify his preconceived conclusions is reminiscent of the methods of modern evolutionary psychologists.

He is the base of modern psychology and psychology no matter what thought/school exists has some root to him.

-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:13 pm

Nuwe Suid Afrika wrote:Just because he was an absolute madman (probably with a mental illness of sorts) doesn't change the fact that he was an astonishing neurologist, or the fact that many of his ideas and works helped shape neurology today.

So being high and having mental problems dosnt bring red flags to you?

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:14 pm

They helped found the beginnings, but most of their theories are rubbish, and the man was a drug addict, historically ignorant about religion, and a fucking quack.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:14 pm

Natapoc wrote:No of course not. Modern psychologists reject his theories as pseudoscience. His method of creating un falsifiable psudoscientific claims to justify his preconceived conclusions is reminiscent of the methods of modern evolutionary psychologists.

That still doesn't change the fact that he's one of the foundations of psychology, just as medieval alchemists are the foundation of early chemistry.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:14 pm

Margno wrote:Freud's problem was that he wanted to have sex with his mother, and the first time he saw a naked woman he got super paranoid that his father was gonna cut his penis off. Everything else he did pretty much stemmed from that.

Of-course then we have the feminist who came up with Womb/ Vagina envy.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Zakuvia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Zakuvia » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:14 pm

His original theories have been discounted, but like Einstein, he was a pivotal historical figure who would go on to influence those with more tightly focused ideas and theories. Now, the analogy isn't 1 for 1, but psychology isn't as hard a science as astrophysics. Additionally, the idea of formalized mental health was nebulous at this point, a stone's throw from witchdoctors. Of course his ideas, formed without a generation and a half's worth of study, formal analysis, and neuropsychological research, fall fairly easily to modern techniques.

TL;DR? Good start, not relevant anymore.
Balance is important in diets, gymnastics, and governments most of all.
NOW CELEBRATING 10 YEARS OF NS!
-1.12, -0.46

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:15 pm

-United Islamic Emirate- wrote:
Nuwe Suid Afrika wrote:Just because he was an absolute madman (probably with a mental illness of sorts) doesn't change the fact that he was an astonishing neurologist, or the fact that many of his ideas and works helped shape neurology today.

Not especially, no. Some of the brightest minds have been mentally ill, high, or both.

-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:15 pm

Benuty wrote:They helped found the beginnings, but most of their theories are rubbish, and the man was a drug addict, historically ignorant about religion, and a fucking quack.

He was only useful in the fact that he based psychology and theories other wise he's just useless.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:16 pm

Scomagia wrote:

That still doesn't change the fact that he's one of the foundations of psychology, just as medieval alchemists are the foundation of early chemistry.

Yes. And just as chemists have rejected the more "magical" explanations of chemical interaction, so also modern psychologists reject the magical thinking that formed the basis of his "theories"
Did you see a ghost?

Dracoria
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:16 pm

Was: yes.

Is: not so much.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:16 pm

Benuty wrote:They helped found the beginnings, but most of their theories are rubbish, and the man was a drug addict, historically ignorant about religion, and a fucking quack.

He was only useful in the fact that he based psychology and theories other wise he's just useless.

Hence my first part about the "founding the beginnings". It is any wonder Carl Jung, and his Neo-Freudian lot tried to move toward "Pyscho-Social" instead of "Psycho-Sexual".

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:17 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Scomagia wrote:That still doesn't change the fact that he's one of the foundations of psychology, just as medieval alchemists are the foundation of early chemistry.

Yes. And just as chemists have rejected the more "magical" explanations of chemical interaction, so also modern psychologists reject the magical thinking that formed the basis of his "theories"

That was sort of my point.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:18 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Scomagia wrote:That still doesn't change the fact that he's one of the foundations of psychology, just as medieval alchemists are the foundation of early chemistry.

I am not sure their Cocaine highs which probably influenced their thoughts on psychology could be considered magical.

Tsaraine
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tsaraine » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:18 pm

Freud was influential, but he wasn't particularly correct. He was apparently considered credible at the time, but I think calling him credible now - given how much more we know about psychology and neurology - would be wrong.

Nuwe Suid Afrika
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuwe Suid Afrika » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:19 pm

It does 'bring red flags', but it doesn't change anything about his work or his ideas. Freud greatly improved psychology and neurology and without him, psychology/neurology would not be what it is today.

Economic Left/Right: -8.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.56

This nation supports my real life views.
Pro:
Stalinism, Authoritarianism, National Bolshevism, Palestine,

Anti:
Liberalism, Marxism, Anarchism, Israel, Zionism, LGBTBBQABC Rights
If you still believe the holocaust actually happened, you need to see this.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General