NATION

PASSWORD

Estonian Parliamentary Election, 2015

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What say ye?

Estonian Reform Party
31%
Estonian Centre Party
7%
Pro Patria and Res Publica Union
7%
Social Democratic Party
29%
Conservative People's Party
15%
Rob Ford Write-in
5%
The Bonobo Separatist League
7%

Total votes : 199

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Founded: Jan 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:14 pm

I'm hoping for a coalition with Reform, Social Democrats, and the Free Party.

Now, Im not a fan of the Centre Party, and they've been known for corruption and the like. But, I think there is a lot of unnecessary fearmongering about the party. They're running Tallinn, and that city is doing fine. If they participate in a government, I'd be disappointed, but not frightened.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

Busen
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Busen » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:24 pm

Most Russian citizens of Estonia are accomplices of the occupiers and representatives of the "fifth column". Such a conclusion is made by the director of the Centre for Human Rights of Tallinn's Law School of Tallinn's University Eugene Tsybulenko on the basis of past March 1 Estonian parliamentary elections.

Well, if the Russians started to learn the Estonian language and respect their country (as well its history) than things would be different. The fact that Russians in Estonia are behaving like Germans in Sudetenland in the 1930s is not something about which they should be proud.
Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:47 pm

Liberty and Linguistics wrote:I'm hoping for a coalition with Reform, Social Democrats, and the Free Party.

Now, Im not a fan of the Centre Party, and they've been known for corruption and the like. But, I think there is a lot of unnecessary fearmongering about the party. They're running Tallinn, and that city is doing fine. If they participate in a government, I'd be disappointed, but not frightened.

Jeez, Lib, I thought you were firmly centre right.

Lytenburgh
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lytenburgh » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:53 pm

Baltenstein wrote:
Why do you take offense when other people portray Russian minorities living abroad as Fifth Column? Aren't you doing exactly the same?

Pray, tell me, Balt, where did I ever portrayed "Russian minorities living abroad as Fifth Column"?

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:56 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Liberty and Linguistics wrote:I'm hoping for a coalition with Reform, Social Democrats, and the Free Party.

Jeez, Lib, I thought you were firmly centre right.

Whatcha mean? A coalition of the Reform Party and SocDems is ideal, in my opinion. They got Estonia through the recession, and they'll continue to move Estonia forward.

Plus, I'm no longer centre right. But, when I was centre right and neoliberal, I enjoyed the coalition between the Reform Party and SocDems.
I am: Cynic, Depressive, Junior in HS, Arizonan, Sarcastic, Wannabe Psychologist, Lover of Cinema and Rum.

Ziggy played guitar....
For ISIS | On Israel and its settlements | Flat Taxes are beneficial for all | OOC, Baby | Probably Accurate.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:58 pm

Liberty and Linguistics wrote:
Kelinfort wrote:Jeez, Lib, I thought you were firmly centre right.

Whatcha mean? A coalition of the Reform Party and SocDems is ideal, in my opinion. They got Estonia through the recession, and they'll continue to move Estonia forward.

Plus, I'm no longer centre right. But, when I was centre right and neoliberal, I enjoyed the coalition between the Reform Party and SocDems.

Didn't know that. Thanks for the information.

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:58 pm

Kelinfort wrote:

Didn't know that. Thanks for the information.

Hehe, of course. I'm back in the centre, and I'm quite cozy here.

Ziggy played guitar....

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Kelinfort wrote:Didn't know that. Thanks for the information.

Welcome back to the center. And wow, an American spelling it "centre".
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Liberty and Linguistics
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Linguistics » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:19 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Welcome back to the center. And wow, an American spelling it "centre".

I've been on the internet for years, I've become accustomed to the metric system and British spelling

Ziggy played guitar....

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:51 pm

Lytenburgh wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:
Why do you take offense when other people portray Russian minorities living abroad as Fifth Column? Aren't you doing exactly the same?

Pray, tell me, Balt, where did I ever portrayed "Russian minorities living abroad as Fifth Column"?

Well, where do you think the loyalty of Russian minorities should lie in case of conflict of interests, with Russia or with the country the live in?
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

Lytenburgh
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lytenburgh » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:14 pm

Baltenstein wrote:
Well, where do you think the loyalty of Russian minorities should lie in case of conflict of interests, with Russia or with the country the live in?

Balt, you are ignoring my question, which I asked after you made a false claim about me. Should I repeat it to get your answer?

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Calimera II » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:21 pm

Kelinfort wrote:Didn't know that. Thanks for the information.

You seem to be a rightist to me.
Last edited by Calimera II on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teemant
Senator

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:09 am

To keep people update. There is still no coalition but it shouldn't take long anymore - few days or week max.

It will be Reform Party, IRL (Pro Patria and Respublica Union) and SDE coalition. They should have 59 seats of 101 in parliament.
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

FIRE AT SUBMARINE
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 07, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby FIRE AT SUBMARINE » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:34 am

Teemant wrote:To keep people update. There is still no coalition but it shouldn't take long anymore - few days or week max.

It will be Reform Party, IRL (Pro Patria and Respublica Union) and SDE coalition. They should have 59 seats of 101 in parliament.

I was hoping they'd get a majority.

Scepez
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Scepez » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:50 am

Teemant wrote:To keep people update. There is still no coalition but it shouldn't take long anymore - few days or week max.

Still kinda disappointed they left the Free Party out.
???

Tallinna Rahvavabariik
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 21, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tallinna Rahvavabariik » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:14 am

As of today, the new government consisting of Reform, SDE and IRL is in office. According to the coalition agreement, Reform Party has 7 ministers and SDE and IRL both have 4 ministers. In addition, SDE also retained the position of the speaker of the parliament and IRL got the position of the vice speaker. Quite surprisingly, a lot of ministerial positions were reshuffled between the parties and only 4 ministers from the previous government retained their positions, 3 from Reform and 1 from SDE.

All in all, I'd say it's not the worst possible outcome, although slightly disappointing (especially because no agreement could be found with the Free Party) and I do expect the new government to have a lot of tensions and personally I doubt that this government will last four years. However the options of the coalition parties in finding alternate partners are also rather limited. I believe that the biggest question is what will happen to the Center Party. Its long-time and infamous leader Edgar Savisaar recently developed a serious infection and he was in medically induced coma for days and also had one of his legs amputated. Due to that the party has been in a bit of a turmoil as it's not certain whether Savisaar can or will return to lead the party again. As has been speculated, this may lead to the Center Party splitting in two along ethnic lines. Also, it is possible that some of their MP's may try to create a completely new party or defect to other existing parties. All of these possibilities may result in a new situation where suddenly a different government to the one we have today could be formed.

Teemant
Senator

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:23 am

Tallinna Rahvavabariik wrote:As of today, the new government consisting of Reform, SDE and IRL is in office. According to the coalition agreement, Reform Party has 7 ministers and SDE and IRL both have 4 ministers. In addition, SDE also retained the position of the speaker of the parliament and IRL got the position of the vice speaker. Quite surprisingly, a lot of ministerial positions were reshuffled between the parties and only 4 ministers from the previous government retained their positions, 3 from Reform and 1 from SDE.

All in all, I'd say it's not the worst possible outcome, although slightly disappointing (especially because no agreement could be found with the Free Party) and I do expect the new government to have a lot of tensions and personally I doubt that this government will last four years. However the options of the coalition parties in finding alternate partners are also rather limited. I believe that the biggest question is what will happen to the Center Party. Its long-time and infamous leader Edgar Savisaar recently developed a serious infection and he was in medically induced coma for days and also had one of his legs amputated. Due to that the party has been in a bit of a turmoil as it's not certain whether Savisaar can or will return to lead the party again. As has been speculated, this may lead to the Center Party splitting in two along ethnic lines. Also, it is possible that some of their MP's may try to create a completely new party or defect to other existing parties. All of these possibilities may result in a new situation where suddenly a different government to the one we have today could be formed.

Most suprising to everyone is the new education minister of course. But I think he will be good at it. But relations between Ligi and Ossinovski might have gotten even more awkward because of that. :lol2:
Last edited by Teemant on Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General