NATION

PASSWORD

Toddler Shoots and Kills Mother

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Divitaen
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:52 am

Organized States wrote:
Divitaen wrote:This is the reason why the "more guns make people safer" idea is a myth. It would be true in a perfect world where everyone was well-trained in gun safety and gun usage. But that isn't the case. Guns often fall into the wrong hands, and that includes people untrained to use them, like this toddler. There have been thousands of cases like this every year, just like the case of the young girl at a firing range who shot at instructor. More reasons to support gun safety legislation.

Gun Control won't stop negligence.

If we had laws that all gun owners had to attend gun safety courses so they can prevent guns from falling into the hands of untrained youngsters, it would help a lot.
Hillary Clinton 2016! Stronger Together!
EU Referendum: Vote Leave = Project Hate #VoteRemain!
Economic Right/Left: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.15
Foreign Policy Non-interventionist/Neo-conservative: -10.00
Cultural Liberal/Conservative: -10.00
Social Democrat:
Cosmopolitan/Nationalistic - 38%
Secular/Fundamentalist - 50%
Visionary/Reactionary - 56%
Anarchistic/Authoritarian - 24%
Communistic/Capitalistic - 58%
Pacifist/Militarist - 39%
Ecological/Anthropocentric - 55%

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:54 am

Divitaen wrote:This is the reason why the "more guns make people safer" idea is a myth. It would be true in a perfect world where everyone was well-trained in gun safety and gun usage. But that isn't the case. Guns often fall into the wrong hands, and that includes people untrained to use them, like this toddler. There have been thousands of cases like this every year, just like the case of the young girl at a firing range who shot at instructor. More reasons to support gun safety legislation.

I've been able to find that there are thousands of gun accidents, but only about 600 of those result in fatalities every year.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:55 am

Divitaen wrote:
Organized States wrote:Gun Control won't stop negligence.

If we had laws that all gun owners had to attend gun safety courses so they can prevent guns from falling into the hands of untrained youngsters, it would help a lot.

It might, but the thing is, even those people well trained in Gun Safety, such as the instructor in Arizona, are capable of making mistakes like that.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:12 am

United Marxist Nations wrote:

I've been able to find that there are thousands of gun accidents, but only about 600 of those result in fatalities every year.

And that is still terrible. There should be regulations to ensure that gun owners take every care to make sure dangerous weapons are inaccessible to children. It's a basic responsibility. If you want to own a gun, make sure it does not take innocent lives.
Social Democrat:

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:13 am

Organized States wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

It might, but the thing is, even those people well trained in Gun Safety, such as the instructor in Arizona, are capable of making mistakes like that.

It's about mitigating the harm. It doesn't end all gun accidents, but it certainly lowers the number of such incidents.
Social Democrat:

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:24 am

Divitaen wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:I've been able to find that there are thousands of gun accidents, but only about 600 of those result in fatalities every year.

And that is still terrible. There should be regulations to ensure that gun owners take every care to make sure dangerous weapons are inaccessible to children. It's a basic responsibility. If you want to own a gun, make sure it does not take innocent lives.

Then we should make gun safes more affordable. Right now, to keep all of your guns inaccessible to children, 100%, it can take into the hundreds of dollars. There is a whole industry devoted to taking the money of people who (quite rightfully) are concerned for their children's safety.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:26 am

God Bless America.

OP wrote: What's the answer to these killings?

Fucking eugenics.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:35 am

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

Then we should make gun safes more affordable. Right now, to keep all of your guns inaccessible to children, 100%, it can take into the hundreds of dollars. There is a whole industry devoted to taking the money of people who (quite rightfully) are concerned for their children's safety.

That's one solution, but we need regulations to ensure people are held responsible if they do not store their guns safely, so that people actually take the trouble to buy and use these gun safes. Besides, if you want a gun, you should be willing to pay for the accessories to store that gun.
Social Democrat:

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:51 am

Divitaen wrote:
Organized States wrote:Gun Control won't stop negligence.

We can implement that as soon as we finish implementing mandatory civics courses to allow people to vote.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:55 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

We can implement that as soon as we finish implementing mandatory civics courses to allow people to vote.

We can't objectively determine what is a "good" or "bad" vote. But we can determine that firearm practices that put children at risk cost lives and therefore are objectively bad. I don't understand how such a scheme would infringe any constitutional rights.
Social Democrat:

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:24 am

Divitaen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

We can't objectively determine what is a "good" or "bad" vote. But we can determine that firearm practices that put children at risk cost lives and therefore are objectively bad. I don't understand how such a scheme would infringe any constitutional rights.

Seeing as the woman had a CCW, she had the training. It did no good.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:27 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

So improve it. Don't let people just keep guns in their purses where they are easily accessible to young children. Hold people accountable for firearm negligence. Negligence with a gun is a very serious matter.
Social Democrat:

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:31 am

Divitaen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

So improve it. Don't let people just keep guns in their purses where they are easily accessible to young children. Hold people accountable for firearm negligence. Negligence with a gun is a very serious matter.

My first post in this thread:

Big Jim P wrote:Carrying a gun in a purse is very irresponsible (the only proper way to carry is on the body. If the woman had a CCW she should have known this). Allowing a child access to the purse (where the woman KNEW the gun was) is negligent in the extreme.

The woman paid for her negligence. She's dead.
Hail Satan!

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:33 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

Big Jim P wrote:Carrying a gun in a purse is very irresponsible (the only proper way to carry is on the body. If the woman had a CCW she should have known this). Allowing a child access to the purse (where the woman KNEW the gun was) is negligent in the extreme.

So that's it then. She's dead. Move along folks, nothing to worry about. The toddler could have shot someone else who was uninvolved. Many times accidental shootings kill people other than the owner who was responsible for storing the gun. Negligence leads to accidental shootings which takes lives. All I'm saying is we clearly need better firearm regulations.
Social Democrat:

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:37 am

Divitaen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

So that's it then. She's dead. Move along folks, nothing to worry about. The toddler could have shot someone else who was uninvolved. Many times accidental shootings kill people other than the owner who was responsible for storing the gun. Negligence leads to accidental shootings which takes lives. All I'm saying is we clearly need better firearm regulations.

Despite all the fear-mongering, when you consider the number of suicides, homicides and accidental deaths (30,000 total), against the number of gun owners (Estimated at 100 million), and the number of guns in private hands (estimated at 300 million), the problem is no where near the point that requiring more (or any) training would be cost-effective.

Balance that against the benefits of private gun ownership and the fact that the "problem" is just plain fear-mongering becomes glaringly obvious.
Hail Satan!

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:44 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

Despite all the fear-mongering, when you consider the number of suicides, homicides and accidental deaths (30,000 total), against the number of gun owners (Estimated at 100 million), and the number of guns in private hands (estimated at 300 million), the problem is no where near the point that requiring more (or any) training would be cost-effective.

Balance that against the benefits of private gun ownership and the fact that the "problem" is just plain fear-mongering becomes glaringly obvious.

I won't debate the benefits of private gun ownership as I have done in previous gun control threads, because it may be considered a thread-jack. Needless to say though I believe that protecting life and public safety is extremely important, and the death toll of 30,000 as you mentioned may look like a small number compared to the number of gun owners, but that ratio is irrelevant. The point is thousands of people continue to die from firearm negligence, and isn't it the state's duty to ensure people can walk the streets in public without fear that someone may steal a gun or a child may take a gun by accident and fire it in the way of innocent people? You shouldn't have to put up with such deregulation.
Social Democrat:

Master Shake
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Master Shake » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:47 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

True, in soviet Russia we must show you the "right" way to vote...I mean the "left" way to vote...
Only one Hungary. Only one Homeland!

Economic Left/Right: -2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.15

I hate you all equally

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:47 am

Divitaen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

I won't debate the benefits of private gun ownership as I have done in previous gun control threads, because it may be considered a thread-jack. Needless to say though I believe that protecting life and public safety is extremely important, and the death toll of 30,000 as you mentioned may look like a small number compared to the number of gun owners, but that ratio is irrelevant. The point is thousands of people continue to die from firearm negligence, and isn't it the state's duty to ensure people can walk the streets in public without fear that someone may steal a gun or a child may take a gun by accident and fire it in the way of innocent people? You shouldn't have to put up with such deregulation.

And many more defend their lives with guns. You do know that the number of accidental deaths due to firearms is around 300 right? The rest of the 30,000 are about 10,000 homicides and the rest suicides? None of which will be stopped by more regulation.

Edit: in 2011 there were 591 accidental firearms deaths, not 300. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr63/nvsr63_03.pdf
Last edited by Big Jim P on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:50 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

And many more defend their lives with guns. You do know that the number of accidental deaths due to firearms is around 300 right? The rest of the 30,000 are about 10,000 homicides and the rest suicides? None of which will be stopped by more regulation.

I won't argue that, but my proposal was not to ban guns, simply that people who get guns ought to go through courses and be held responsible for firearm negligence.
Social Democrat:

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:54 am

Divitaen wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

I won't argue that, but my proposal was not to ban guns, simply that people who get guns ought to go through courses and be held responsible for firearm negligence.

People are already legally responsible for firearm negligence, and the woman went through courses for here CCW.
Last edited by Big Jim P on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!

Kilobugya
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 05, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Kilobugya » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:58 am

When will the US understand that weapons kill and just shouldn't be omnipresent or such tragedies will keep happening ? Guns are dangerous, you shouldn't have one without a damn good reason and very strictly enforced safety rules, period.
Secular humanist and trans-humanist, rationalist, democratic socialist, pacifist, dreaming very high to not perform too low.
Economic Left/Right: -9.50 - Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:00 am

Kilobugya wrote:When will the US understand that weapons kill and just shouldn't be omnipresent or such tragedies will keep happening ? Guns are dangerous, you shouldn't have one without a damn good reason and very strictly enforced safety rules, period.

Self defense is a damn good reason. As is recreation.
Hail Satan!

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:07 am

Gauthier wrote:If the mother had a gun, this would have never... oh...

If the mother had TWO guns... or at least a mousetrap in her bag... or at least if there was the death penalty for parenticidal toddlers... or if they had prayed more often to Aryan Jeebus...

More seriously, the idea of allowing untrained people to carry and operate weapons is a complete idiocy.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:10 am

Big Jim P wrote:People are already legally responsible for firearm negligence, and the woman went through courses for here CCW.

What? And she wasn't taught that one should never allow a toddler near a gun?

Divitaen
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Divitaen » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:35 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Divitaen wrote:

People are already legally responsible for firearm negligence, and the woman went through courses for here CCW.

Clearly the CCW wasn't effective enough. Plus, prosecution occurs less readily than we may think:

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2012/12/26/prosecutors-weigh-case-of-accidental-shooting-death-of-minneapolis-toddler
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/21/children-guns-parents_n_2516849.html

So clearly we need some legal reform so that parents are more easily prosecuted if their negligence causes an accidental shooting.
Social Democrat: