NATION

PASSWORD

Air Asia Flight from Indonesia to Singapore goes missing

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:35 am

Aliens did it.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SaintB » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:01 am

2014 will be the year remembered as the one where we proved can land a spacecraft on a comet 37 million miles from earth but we routinely lose track of aircraft 37,000 feet above sea level.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Eagalya
Envoy

Founded: Sep 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Eagalya » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:58 am

SaintB wrote:2014 will be the year remembered as the one where we proved can land a spacecraft on a comet 37 million miles from earth but we routinely lose track of aircraft 37,000 feet above sea level.

I've always found this sort of inconsistency to be rather bewildering.

Hopefully there are survivors.
For: Universal human rights, secular liberal democracy, egalitarianism, freedom of speech, of the press, of expression, et al, peaceful and rational theism, integration & immigration, interventionism & internationalism, rule of law

Against: Racism, sexism, homophobia, totalitarianism, authoritarianism, nazism, islamism, fascism, communism, extremism, discrimination, sectarianism

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:01 am

Eagalya wrote:I've always found this sort of inconsistency to be rather bewildering.

There is nothing bewildering about it once you realize it's just capitalism at work. One is a project of dubious value that due to prestige reasons the world has been willing to throw huge wads of money at. Where as the other (tracking aircraft in flight) is a low prestige routine thing that people thus don't care about which is reflected in its funding. It is absolutely not beyond our capacities or budgets today to build a system where no aircraft is ever lost. We just don't want to take the money we need from other things such as pointless wars because preventing accidents does not win you votes next term round.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:51 am

CNN will be bringing you non-stop coverage of this event for the next 50 days.

Romny
Secretary

Founded: Apr 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Romny » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:52 am

mh370 is more stealthier.
Mostly here to give advice to people new to NS (less than a year), i am from Michigan.
Pro:Republican,conservative, US constitutuion,israel,chinese aggression,ted cruz for president 2016
Nuetral:legalization of drugs,Iraqi training,new US currency law, rand paul
Anti:Liberalism,Hillary clinton for president 2016,isis,hamas,terrorism,EU, Russia,gun control (i don't care what you say banning guns in dumb

The Berdanvian Empire
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Berdanvian Empire » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:54 am

What's up with all these Asian airplanes either going missing or getting shot down?

Sand Island Air Force Base
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sand Island Air Force Base » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:03 pm

The Homunculi are gathering souls to make a Philosopher's stone. Obviously.

Have you seen this person?
I believe they may be involved.
I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning.

*fighter jet flies over*

Proud resident of The Darwinish Coalition

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:09 pm

Eagalya wrote:
SaintB wrote:2014 will be the year remembered as the one where we proved can land a spacecraft on a comet 37 million miles from earth but we routinely lose track of aircraft 37,000 feet above sea level.

If we flew as many spacecrafts as commercial airlines we would lose them just as often.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

New Aerios
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Aerios » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:14 pm

*tinfoil mode engaged*

Air Asia and Malaysia Airlines are indirectly owned by Jacob Rothschild through Khazanah. Both are insured by Lloyd's of London, also owned by Rothschild. Both airlines have been making a loss, and Rothschild gets a big fat cheque every time one goes down. The first one, MH370, was also carrying 4 out of the 5 co-owners of a very lucrative semiconductor patent. The fifth, and the only one who wasn't on the plane, was Jacob Rothschild, making him the sole owner.

*disengaged*

Cheap airlines, apparently with lax safety standards and poor service, in not exactly the most prosperous region of the world, with possible risks from Islamic extremists. Yeah, shit's not gonna go well.
-------------------------------I--M--P--E--R--I--V--M----N--O--V--A----A--E--R--I--O--S---------------------------------
"No matter how worthy the cause, it is robbery, theft, and injustice to confiscate the property of one person and give it to another to whom it does not belong"

"Prior to capitalism, the way people amassed great wealth was by looting, plundering and enslaving their fellow man. Capitalism made it possible to become wealthy by serving your fellow man."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Eagalya wrote:

"Passengers bound for comet 46P/Wirtanen, arriving 2011: we regret to inform you that your spacecraft will be landing on comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko in 2014. We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for flying the European Space Agency."
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:17 pm

greed and death wrote:
Eagalya wrote:

If we flew as many spacecrafts as commercial airlines we would lose them just as often.

Our record with spacecraft -- especially manned ones -- is much, much worse.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Sand Island Air Force Base
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sand Island Air Force Base » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:28 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
greed and death wrote:If we flew as many spacecrafts as commercial airlines we would lose them just as often.

Our record with spacecraft -- especially manned ones -- is much, much worse.

Nasa's catastrophe with manned spacecraft using pure oxygen environments was a ticking time bomb. How did they not see that coming?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_1
I love the smell of jet fuel in the morning.

*fighter jet flies over*

Proud resident of The Darwinish Coalition

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Calimera II » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:39 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:Apparently it had asked for an unusual route before contact was lost. Hijacked?

Unusual? Not at all.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:24 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
Eagalya wrote:

"Passengers bound for comet 46P/Wirtanen, arriving 2011: we regret to inform you that your spacecraft will be landing on comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko in 2014. We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for flying the European Space Agency."

Funny AND informative. Thanks for that!
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:34 pm

New Aerios wrote:Cheap airlines, apparently with lax safety standards and poor service, in not exactly the most prosperous region of the world, with possible risks from Islamic extremists. Yeah, shit's not gonna go well.

This is the first accident this airline has had to one of its aircraft.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:45 pm

Sand Island Air Force Base wrote:The Homunculi are gathering souls to make a Philosopher's stone. Obviously.

Have you seen this person?
(Image)
I believe they may be involved.

What is that picture from? It looks familiar...

The Risen Jaguar Warriors
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Risen Jaguar Warriors » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:13 pm

I'm VERY worried...

I'll be flying over Indo to go to China in two days... :unsure:
⇦ Keep to the left
100% Raiderist Сюнна 20% Defenderist

My puppet-juggling skills are like a drinking straw... meaning they suck...
I am a girl

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:20 pm

The Risen Jaguar Warriors wrote:I'm VERY worried...

I'll be flying over Indo to go to China in two days... :unsure:

Take a bus to the airport instead of a taxi then.

Seriously. You're more likely to die on the road getting to or from the airport, than die on an international commercial flight.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:20 pm

At least it wasn't from Malaysia, good god they don't need any further jokes these days.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

The Risen Jaguar Warriors
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Risen Jaguar Warriors » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:37 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:At least it wasn't from Malaysia, good god they don't need any further jokes these days.

Uh....

The company is OWNED by Malaysia/n/s... :unsure:
⇦ Keep to the left
100% Raiderist Сюнна 20% Defenderist

My puppet-juggling skills are like a drinking straw... meaning they suck...
I am a girl

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:46 pm

The Risen Jaguar Warriors wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:At least it wasn't from Malaysia, good god they don't need any further jokes these days.

Uh....

Technically, the plane belonged/belongs to their Indonesian affiliate.
Last edited by Sebastianbourg on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:02 pm

The Risen Jaguar Warriors wrote:

Uh....

Headquartered there anyway. As a publicly listed company, no-one in particular "owns" it.

The Tan Sri Fernandez listed here as a major shareholder is the guy who bought Airasia from the Malaysian government in 2001. For one Ringgit, which is less than a dollar!

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
The Risen Jaguar Warriors wrote:Uh....

Headquartered there anyway. As a publicly listed company, no-one in particular "owns" it.

The Tan Sri Fernandez listed here as a major shareholder is the guy who bought Airasia from the Malaysian government in 2001. For one Ringgit, which is less than a dollar!

The government sure was desperate to get rid of Airasia. :p
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:05 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
The Risen Jaguar Warriors wrote:Uh....

That certainly not shady at all!
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General