NATION

PASSWORD

Prayer Thread Debate

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:04 pm

WAH WAH WAH I WANT TO POST MY BELIEFS ABOUT RELIGION WHENEVER AND WHEREVER I WANT BUT I DON'T WANT ANYBODY ELSE TO BE ABLE TO POST THEIRS IN RESPONSE OR, GOD FORBID, CHALLENGE MINE IN ANY WAY.

Good going, KMA.
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:05 pm

really, if you dont want debate you should be on a religious forum where they will remove all the pootinky atheists.
whatever

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:05 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:You know. It is funny to me how the Atheists are always saying how we Religious types are always trying to convert people. Tell me. What are you doing when you go into every religion oriented thread and start spouting your beliefs? You are attempting to convert others to Atheism.

I have tied to only ever present what I believe to be true and invite you to accept or reject it. I have never, in my best recollection, tried to convert anyone.

You Atheists OTOH seem HELL BENT on shoving your beliefs down the throat of anyone, regardless of whether they care to listen.

this is a debate forum.

it is quite appropriate for people of all stripes to be in any thread on religion (and any other topic) and to press their position on the subject.

Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?
If I was a dinosaur I'd be an Asskickasaurus. I have a rare form of tourrettes, I get the urge to complement people who are BSing me.
KMA is EXONERATED!!
My Website | My Blogs | My Facebook Page

Who is John Galt?

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:07 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:You know. It is funny to me how the Atheists are always saying how we Religious types are always trying to convert people. Tell me. What are you doing when you go into every religion oriented thread and start spouting your beliefs? You are attempting to convert others to Atheism.

I have tied to only ever present what I believe to be true and invite you to accept or reject it. I have never, in my best recollection, tried to convert anyone.

You Atheists OTOH seem HELL BENT on shoving your beliefs down the throat of anyone, regardless of whether they care to listen.

this is a debate forum.

it is quite appropriate for people of all stripes to be in any thread on religion (and any other topic) and to press their position on the subject.

Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

See, thats what Im talking about, saying that you are the only one that "has a clue" and then bitching when someone corrects that bogus assumption, is quite hypocritical, and loses you any credibility on the "Im a victim" front...

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:07 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:this is a debate forum.

Go for it...
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:08 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

this is a debate forum.

go right ahead.

or maybe you should go with the classic "if you cant take the heat stay out of the kitchen"
whatever

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Nadkor wrote:So next time I start a thread calling on everyone to support full government welfare systems to help "those less fortunate" I can start another thread and demand that anyone who disagrees with the welfare state posts in there instead of challenging my premise?

Cool.

A prayer is not an argument, it doesn't contain premises, logical forms and hypothesis. The intent isn't to discuss. Is threads like this, suitable in general? Possibly not (which means it's an issue for the mods), does that justify thread jacking? I'm not seeing it, especially not to the ridiculous pedantry and baiting that was being done in both prayer threads.

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Maurepas wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

this is a debate forum.

See, thats what Im talking about, saying that you are the only one that "has a clue" and then bitching when someone corrects that bogus assumption, is quite hypocritical, and loses you any credibility on the "Im a victim" front...

But you all knowing Athiests have a corner on the clue market?
If I was a dinosaur I'd be an Asskickasaurus. I have a rare form of tourrettes, I get the urge to complement people who are BSing me.
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:12 pm

Hydesland wrote:
Nadkor wrote:So next time I start a thread calling on everyone to support full government welfare systems to help "those less fortunate" I can start another thread and demand that anyone who disagrees with the welfare state posts in there instead of challenging my premise?

Cool.

A prayer is not an argument, it doesn't contain premises, logical forms and hypothesis. The intent isn't to discuss. Is threads like this, suitable in general? Possibly not (which means it's an issue for the mods), does that justify thread jacking? I'm not seeing it, especially not to the ridiculous pedantry and baiting that was being done in both prayer threads.

If the intent isnt to discuss, why put it in a discussion forum? At some point personal sense comes in before the mods should intervene...

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Nadkor wrote:WAH WAH WAH I WANT TO POST MY BELIEFS ABOUT RELIGION WHENEVER AND WHEREVER I WANT BUT I DON'T WANT ANYBODY ELSE TO BE ABLE TO POST THEIRS IN RESPONSE OR, GOD FORBID, CHALLENGE MINE IN ANY WAY.

Good going, KMA.

Point. Game. Set. Match. Have a nice day.
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:13 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:But you all knowing Athiests have a corner on the clue market?

Point out the flaws in the scientific method. Show how your system of blind faith is better.
Blouman Empire wrote:Natural is not nature.

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

Bluth Corporation wrote:No. A free market literally has zero bubbles.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Mercator Terra wrote: Mental illness is a myth.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:14 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

this is a debate forum.

But you all knowing Athiests have a corner on the clue market?

I would never personally claim to have "more of a clue" than someone else, but, I would point out when there is no proof for such a "clue", ;)

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:15 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Nadkor wrote:WAH WAH WAH I WANT TO POST MY BELIEFS ABOUT RELIGION WHENEVER AND WHEREVER I WANT BUT I DON'T WANT ANYBODY ELSE TO BE ABLE TO POST THEIRS IN RESPONSE OR, GOD FORBID, CHALLENGE MINE IN ANY WAY.

Good going, KMA.

Point. Game. Set. Match. Have a nice day.

I have to say, it was an apt description of the whole position of the OP and those threads in general, I agree, :)

Tangomania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tangomania » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:15 pm

YES TO RELIGIOUS FREEDOM! NO TO RELIGIOUS FREEDOM AND EXPRESSION IN THE NAME OF MUSLIM TERRORISM!
WE SHALL NEVER FORGET 911! :palm:
Last edited by Tangomania on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Tangomania wrote:YES TO RELIGOUS FREEDOM! NO TO RELIGOUS FREEDOM AND EXPRESSION IN THE NAME OF MUSLIM TERRORISM!

1066 Never Forget!

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Tangomania wrote:YES TO RELIGOUS FREEDOM! NO TO RELIGOUS FREEDOM AND EXPRESSION IN THE NAME OF MUSLIM TERRORISM!

COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT POST IN CAPS TO SOUND LOUDER IN ONE'S HEAD!

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
WWII History Geeks wrote:Care to take it here and leave the believers and their acts of kindness and faith alone?

im just wondering why a prayer thread isnt in forum 7.

its not debate eh?

That's actually an interesting question. I will pose it to the mods for you.....
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Maurepas wrote:If the intent isnt to discuss, why put it in a discussion forum? At some point personal sense comes in before the mods should intervene...

Again, that's an issue for the mods. Exactly the same applies to social threads with no discussion. If I came into a social thread, and in a hostile manner pedantically over-analysed a load of posts in that thread, implying for instance that they are sickening or that their beliefs are tyrannical, whilst completely missing the point of the thread and going completely off topic, everyone would think I'm the biggest cunt in the world. And rightly so.

Lord-General Drache
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord-General Drache » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:17 pm

You're doing the exact same thing you accuse the atheists of. You're saying (or implying) "I know the full and ultimate truth of life and death, you all are fools and crazy for ignoring it. Why can't you just see the light and truth?"

Also, Nadkor. Seriously. Whether you like a poster or not, don't start flaming and flamebaiting. I've seen you on the forums before and I've never seen you lose your cool like that (but maybe I've missed other instances). Take 5 minutes, relax, then come back before a mod wanders in and angry red text appears.
Life is mine to give and take; death is my bailiwick. I freely go where angels dare not tread, and have danced blades with the demons that lurk in your darkest nightmares.
RIP Colodia: 4/13/2011.

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:18 pm

New Kereptica wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:But you all knowing Athiests have a corner on the clue market?

Point out the flaws in the scientific method. Show how your system of blind faith is better.

You see, you are claiming to have cornered the market on truth.

Now, I see your motive. You have seen mine. I will now take my leave for a season, and will yet return, when your clues have faded and mine have remained steadfast.

Good night.
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:19 pm

This is your friendly neighborhood liberal reminding you to check your caps-lock!

As for that thread, this is a discussion forum, and debate heated argument is expected. Although, WWIIHG did ask that ya'll keep the thread clear of your Atheist wackiness. Either way, I think a tow to F7 is in order.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:19 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
WWII History Geeks wrote:Care to take it here and leave the believers and their acts of kindness and faith alone?

im just wondering why a prayer thread isnt in forum 7.

its not debate eh?

That's actually an interesting question. I will pose it to the mods for you.....

I imagine that the hurt feelings of juxtaposing a "serious" prayer thread with "How would you kill the person above you?" prevents the measure from occurring...

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:19 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:

Now, I see your motive. You have seen mine. I will now take my leave for a season, and will yet return, when your clues have faded and mine have remained steadfast.

Good night.

Oh? I didn't think I'd made a post claiming that.

Ah well. Bonne nuit.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:21 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:

Good night.

No, merely wishing one to show something that is in fact, a fact, I dont think anyone would claim that they have cornered the market in the ability to show one, merely that one should exercise that ability...
Last edited by Maurepas on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The United Good
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby The United Good » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:21 pm

I've always wondered why Americans call chips french fries. I remember when I was younger traveling in the states and ordering chips with a burger and getting potato chips (or british crisps). Once I figured out you had to ask for Fries, I did, but I'd also ask for vinegar, which also confused them. I was also wondering why catsup is the way some Americans spell ketchup - and they pronounce it differently. Could someone please help me with this?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General