NATION

PASSWORD

Should we tell our kids Santa is real?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:31 pm

Highever wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:
Who only celebrate it because of the tradition passed down by their Christian ancestors.

And those ancestors only cerebrated it because it was passed down from pagan traditions of the Solstice.

Which is on the 21st now. So, really all pagan meaning from the 25th is gone.

Not to mention that said pagans have been gone for nearly a thousand years.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:31 pm

Highever wrote:
-United Islamic Emirate- wrote:
I didn't say it was im trying to say this is how it should be. Sorry for not making that clearer .

If we are truly going for the whole "how it should be" angle, What is modern day Christmas should be for the pagans, and Christians should have a holiday in spring. Besides, Christmas goes far beyond the birth of Jesus, it is a time to be with family and all that.

I agree 100%
نحن أبناء الإسلام التي أثارها الهدى والنور من الاسود مثل الشيخ أسامة ورفيقه أيمن مليئة شجاعة مثل أبو مصعب والأمير خطاب نموذجنا دور محمد الحبيب هو لدينا الضوء والمعلم ويترك كافة الأمر إلى الله
GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I support a FreeSyriaDo you?
http://ahraralsham.net/
Want to add me on kik? send me a TG!

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:33 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Highever wrote:And those ancestors only cerebrated it because it was passed down from pagan traditions of the Solstice.

Which is on the 21st now. So, really all pagan meaning from the 25th is gone.

Not to mention that said pagans have been gone for nearly a thousand years.

Just as all Christian meaning from the 25th is gone for many families.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:33 pm

Highever wrote:
I didn't say it was im trying to say this is how it should be. Sorry for not making that clearer .

If we are truly going for the whole "how it should be" angle, What is modern day Christmas should be for the pagans, and Christians should have a holiday in spring. Besides, Christmas goes far beyond the birth of Jesus, it is a time to be with family and all that.

We do have a holiday in spring. It's called Easter.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Highever wrote:If we are truly going for the whole "how it should be" angle, What is modern day Christmas should be for the pagans, and Christians should have a holiday in spring. Besides, Christmas goes far beyond the birth of Jesus, it is a time to be with family and all that.

For the birth of Christ, I mean. Not the resurrection.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Highever wrote:If we are truly going for the whole "how it should be" angle, What is modern day Christmas should be for the pagans, and Christians should have a holiday in spring. Besides, Christmas goes far beyond the birth of Jesus, it is a time to be with family and all that.

Yah but that celebrates his "Death and Resurrection"
نحن أبناء الإسلام التي أثارها الهدى والنور من الاسود مثل الشيخ أسامة ورفيقه أيمن مليئة شجاعة مثل أبو مصعب والأمير خطاب نموذجنا دور محمد الحبيب هو لدينا الضوء والمعلم ويترك كافة الأمر إلى الله
GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:36 pm

Highever wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

For the birth of Christ, I mean. Not the resurrection.

Jesus wasn't born in the spring, either. From what I hear, the theory is that he was born in August sometime.

-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:38 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Highever wrote:For the birth of Christ, I mean. Not the resurrection.

Jesus wasn't born in the spring, either. From what I hear, the theory is that he was born in August sometime.

Perhaps it's best not to celebrate his birth at all.

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:40 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Highever wrote:For the birth of Christ, I mean. Not the resurrection.

Right, sorry. I knew it was in the warmer months, but I don't know the exact time.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:41 pm

Highever wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Right, sorry. I knew it was in the warmer months, but I don't know the exact time.

no one does what's even the point in this holiday?

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Highever wrote:Right, sorry. I knew it was in the warmer months, but I don't know the exact time.

It is important in Christianity, as it celebrates the birth of their messiah.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Highever wrote:Right, sorry. I knew it was in the warmer months, but I don't know the exact time.

To celebrate the birth of Christ. Which kind of a big deal for Christians. The 25th was picked at the time because the freshly converted pagans already had a holiday that day: the Winter Solstice. However, due to geographical or astronomical crap that I don't know much about, the day of the Solstice has since shifted a few days to the 21st.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:44 pm

Highever wrote:
-United Islamic Emirate- wrote:no one does what's even the point in this holiday?

It is important in Christianity, as it celebrates the birth of their messiah.

I understand this I study religion instesly. But JWs don't celebrate I've herd even some Orthodox Christians don't celebrate it but most celebrate in January instead of December. Also why do atheists some Jews and Heretical Muslims celebrate it. I met a Muslim who admitted his family even celebrated it.

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:46 pm

Highever wrote:It is important in Christianity, as it celebrates the birth of their messiah.

I understand this I study religion instesly. But JWs don't celebrate I've herd even some Orthodox Christians don't celebrate it but most celebrate in January instead of December. Also why do atheists some Jews and Heretical Muslims celebrate it. I met a Muslim who admitted his family even celebrated it.

I don't see how it is "heretical" to celebrate with one's family. As I said earlier, many people see it as a secular holiday focused on being with family.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:47 pm

Highever wrote:It is important in Christianity, as it celebrates the birth of their messiah.

Idk why Jews would celebrate it considering they have Hanukkah, but I digress.

Anyway, I suppose it's cultural influence on some level.

And Orthodox Christian holidays don't match up with Western Christian holidays because of the Great Schism...Well, not BECAUSE of the Great Schism, but as a result I suppose.

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:50 pm

Freemopia wrote:No.
No one should ever lie to children.
Lying teaches them that lying is acceptable and that it is acceptable for them to lie to you(and anyone) and to lie about anything they want to lie about. They might then become habitual liars, potentially eventually turning into tricksters, fraudsters, and thieves.
They will never trust or believe you again.
If you tell them to eat vegetables because it's healthy they wont believe you.
If you tell them not to do drugs because drugs are bad, they wont believe you and wont listen to you. ...
They will not listen to you or follow you because they dont trust you.
When you ask them questions, they will not answer you because they dont trust you.
They will not do what you want them to do because they don't like doing favors for people who lie to them.
They also might disobey or do what you dont like to get revenge for you lying to them.

If kids "believe" in santa or talk about santa, tell them that santa is not real. Tell kids santa is not real. If someone else tells them santa is real, shame and scold that person and tell them to stay away from kids and stop telling kids that, then tell kid that santa is not real.
They will be upset with you if they think santa is real, and you know he isnt and you didn't tell them.

It's bad for people to "believe" what others tell them with out seeing it for them self.
People need to find out the truth for themself and not just "believe" what others tell them.
If you did not see it for yourself, dont assume that it's real just because someone said it was, that goes for everything not just santa.

make it a poll

:eyebrow:

Bullcrap, if a kid mistrusts his parents that much. It is not because he/she found out Santa was not real. The 'lie' told here must have been far heavier or far more frequent. I believed in Santa, and none of the above applies to me. It did not hinder me in any way. And that is pretty much the standard case, once we find out, we can tell the difference between the statements.

"Santa Claus is real." And, "Drugs are Great!" The former we know is a childhood fable and the latter any rational child or teen knows is complete crap.

There are more than two colors in a Crayon Box for a reason, why in the hell people insist on using black and white only is beyond me.
My RP Nation is the Islamic Republic of Alamon

The Starlight wrote:Rebel Force: Noun - A strange power associated with street-level characters who are the weakest, yet most powerful of all.

-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:53 pm

what the Hell kind of tradition is this? Who the hell with a heart approves of this?

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:55 pm

-United Islamic Emirate- wrote:what the Hell kind of tradition is this? Who the hell with a heart approves of this?

What exactly are you referring to?
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:55 pm

-United Islamic Emirate- wrote:what the Hell kind of tradition is this? Who the hell with a heart approves of this?

Pretty much millions of people. :roll:
No idea what the objection is.
My RP Nation is the Islamic Republic of Alamon

The Starlight wrote:Rebel Force: Noun - A strange power associated with street-level characters who are the weakest, yet most powerful of all.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:56 pm

What? Santa? Pfffft.

I might not teach my kids about Santa, but I'd hardly call those who do "Heartless".

I was taught that Santa was real, but I wasn't heartbroken when I figured out the truth of it. I can't say I ever had any benefit from thinking Santa was real either, though.

-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:57 pm

The Rebel Alliances wrote:

Man people are lost I know this and you don't take it seriously. The objection is lies,polytheism in false idols,and cooperate benefit off the innocents and gulibility of the children.Christmas is a multi-million dollar industry,

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:58 pm

It is an innocent myth created for children. Are you going to call Cinderella and other such tales heartless and evil too?
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:59 pm

The Rebel Alliances wrote:

Man people are lost I know this and you don't take it seriously. The objection is lies,polytheism in false idols,and cooperate benefit off the innocents and gulibility of the children.Christmas is a multi-million dollar industry,

You realize people do not worship Santa in churches and alters and make sacrifices to him, right? He is a simple fairy tale. And I am so glad that you are all knowing and here to bring enlightenment to us all. :roll:
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

-United Islamic Emirate-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -United Islamic Emirate- » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:59 pm

Highever wrote:

It is an innocent myth created for children. Are you going to call Cinderella and other such tales heartless and evil too?

Not unless a single person openly worships them with the degree they do with Santa.

Transyl
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Transyl » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:00 pm

No, because it's a lie, and lying is bad. If they find out we were lying to them, then they will think lying is ok when it's really not.
I'm Kitty!
About me
NS stats have no power here. We only use Factbooks!
Main Factbook.

Proud Fascist!
Proud member of the Anti-Democracy League!
Yandere!
Ancient Humans is the love of my life! Touch him and you'll face my wrath!
Creepwood Apple-Loosa and Xanama are my Kawaii Friends! :3

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General