NATION

PASSWORD

Double, Double Oil and Trouble

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:52 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:
Valica wrote:Hopefully when the prices slingshot back, people will have been so used to low prices that they invest that saved money in renewable methods for cars.

Tesla, water engines, clean-burning fuels.
All of it needs to come so we can kill oil and have a shot at saving our godforsaken planet.

Why should we as a species desire to stay on our mundane planet when hopefully within the next thousand years we can conquer others?

Let's play "spot the nearby habitable planet", shall we? Oh look, there's precisely one.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

United States of Devonta
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 20, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United States of Devonta » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:02 pm

Damn you Barack Hussein Obama! I new you raised gas prices in a desperate attempt to make us by those hippy liberal hybrid and electric cars.
US Air Force E-4
Twenty-Five, Male, Lightskin, Social Democrat, Proud Kansan

Proud member of the IFC, SA, IHAPC, IDS, PEDC, IBE, ISA nation!

Phocidaea
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Phocidaea » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:44 pm

Being in a region with negligible oil and lots of cars, it is nearly impossible to conceive that low gas prices could actually be a problem in some places.

Fortunately, I don't live in any of those places, so here's hoping it gets below two bucks a gallon!
Call me Phoca.
Senator [Unknown] of the Liberal Democrats in NSG Senate.
Je suis Charlie: Because your feels don't justify murder.

Acharastan
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Acharastan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:46 pm

Isn't that due to Saudi Arabia lowering prices to smack Putin in the face?
| ++ @=I=====> I am a Civilization of Royalia <=====I=@ ++ | @=I=====> The Constitutional Empire Of Acharastan<=====[=@ |
| +@=I=====> Founder of The Commonwealth of Allies <=====I=@+ |
JE SUIS CHARLIE
  • Reppy: Nationstates has taught me the art of the "polite f***-off" letter.
  • Arch: "I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up" - Valaran
National News: NAXD, Acharastan's space program, and arms supplier RA&E, are teaming up to create the "Shepard-1" spaceplane using a revolutionary liftoff method.

The Confederacy of Nationalism
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Why should we as a species desire to stay on our mundane planet when hopefully within the next thousand years we can conquer others?

Let's play "spot the nearby habitable planet", shall we? Oh look, there's precisely one.

nearby is irrelevant
Keep right -->
Don't give in to degeneracy,

My honor, my dignity, my pride above my life. No regrets.
American Ultranationalist
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler
Resident Social Darwinist

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Hooray for fracking! The total benefits of lower fuel costs and a more pressured, submissive middle east, and potentially less of an incentive for America to be involved, is a net sum.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:07 pm

Acharastan wrote:Isn't that due to Saudi Arabia lowering prices to smack Putin in the face?

They're doing Putin a favor. If the Ruble crisis gets too bad, Russia will have reason to switch to a gold standard, which as I said earlier, would be a slap in the face to dollar imperialism.
Keep right -->

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler

Marcurix
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Acharastan wrote:Isn't that due to Saudi Arabia lowering prices to smack Putin in the face?

They're doing Putin a favor. If the Ruble crisis gets too bad, Russia will have reason to switch to a gold standard, which as I said earlier, would be a slap in the face to dollar imperialism.

Also a really bad idea.

But that doesn't seem to matter.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
-Winston Churchill

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:08 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:Hooray for fracking! The total benefits of lower fuel costs and a more pressured, submissive middle east, and potentially less of an incentive for America to be involved, is a net sum.

no thanks, I like high fuel costs
Keep right -->

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Marcurix wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:They're doing Putin a favor. If the Ruble crisis gets too bad, Russia will have reason to switch to a gold standard, which as I said earlier, would be a slap in the face to dollar imperialism.

Also a really bad idea.

I'd take a stable, backed currency over hyperinflation any day, thanks, and I'm sure Putin will too.
Keep right -->

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:10 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:Hooray for fracking! The total benefits of lower fuel costs and a more pressured, submissive middle east, and potentially less of an incentive for America to be involved, is a net sum.

no thanks, I like high fuel costs

You are the reason why America is hated worldwide. >.>

Independence!

Yes, I am back(ish)

New Werpland
Senator

Founded: Dec 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Marcurix wrote:
Also a really bad idea.

I'd take a stable, backed currency over hyperinflation any day, thanks, and I'm sure Putin will too.

then we can get Mansa Musa to get rid of Putin instead of the U.S taxpayers
Last edited by New Werpland on Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:12 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:no thanks, I like high fuel costs

Independence!

I like high fuel costs because I make money. I just want to maintain high costs by banning fracking and not blowing up foreign wells, there's a big difference between the two.
Keep right -->

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:15 pm

New Werpland wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:I'd take a stable, backed currency over hyperinflation any day, thanks, and I'm sure Putin will too.

then we can get Mansa Musa to get rid of Putin instead of the U.S taxpayers

Who said I wanted to get rid of Putin, he's the single best world leader of the past decade, and he's done a goddamn excellent job of raising Russia out of the cesspool that was the USSR and keeping Russia powerful. I just wish he would see that gold is a better option than a tumbling Ruble.
Keep right -->

Marcurix
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Marcurix wrote:
Also a really bad idea.

I'm not sure you can speak for Putin. Or that you understand why the gold standard was abandoned in the first place.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

-Winston Churchill

-Winston Churchill

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Independence!

I like high fuel costs because I make money. I just want to maintain high costs by banning fracking and not blowing up foreign wells, there's a big difference between the two.

I like low costs because, as a consumer I wish to save money, both back at home by utilizing fracking methods to extract oil and less of my tax money going toward radicalizing Islamists by invading countries.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Marcurix wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:I'd take a stable, backed currency over hyperinflation any day, thanks, and I'm sure Putin will too.

I'm not sure you can speak for Putin. Or that you understand why the gold standard was abandoned in the first place.

I can't speak for Putin, you're right, but I do know why the gold standard was abandoned, and I know why it should be brought back.
Keep right -->

New Werpland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:19 pm

New Werpland wrote:then we can get Mansa Musa to get rid of Putin instead of the U.S taxpayers

Who said I wanted to get rid of Putin, he's the single best world leader of the past decade, and he's done a goddamn excellent job of raising Russia out of the cesspool that was the USSR and keeping Russia powerful. I just wish he would see that gold is a better option than a tumbling Ruble.

Surely you can't love Putin if you wan't him to adopt the gold standard. But anyway I agree with you, Putin is great. He did a good job expanding Russia's list of Puppet states and imprisoning all those evil gay men.

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:20 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:I like high fuel costs because I make money. I just want to maintain high costs by banning fracking and not blowing up foreign wells, there's a big difference between the two.

I like low costs because, as a consumer I wish to save money, both back at home by utilizing fracking methods to extract oil and less of my tax money going toward radicalizing Islamists by invading countries.

I am also a consumer. The difference is that I trade natgas and oil, I don't just consume it. As a trader, I absolutely love the prospect of banning fracking and high oil prices.
Last edited by The Confederacy of Nationalism on Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep right -->

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:21 pm

New Werpland wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:Who said I wanted to get rid of Putin, he's the single best world leader of the past decade, and he's done a goddamn excellent job of raising Russia out of the cesspool that was the USSR and keeping Russia powerful. I just wish he would see that gold is a better option than a tumbling Ruble.

Surely you can't love Putin if you wan't him to adopt the gold standard. But anyway I agree with you, Putin is great. He did a good job expanding Russia's list of Puppet states and imprisoning all those evil gay men.

Well, more like reclaiming puppet states, they kind of lost them all after the USSR fell.
Keep right -->

Marcurix
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:23 pm

Marcurix wrote:

I can't speak for Putin, you're right, but I do know why the gold standard was abandoned, and I know why it should be brought back.

Mhm, well if you're going to dig yourself a hole it might as we'll be a big one.
-Voltaire

-Winston Churchill

-Winston Churchill

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:25 pm

Marcurix wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:I can't speak for Putin, you're right, but I do know why the gold standard was abandoned, and I know why it should be brought back.

Mhm, well if you're going to dig yourself a hole it might as we'll be a big one.

It was abandoned because the pseudo-gold standard under the fed and the $2.5 for every $1.00 of gold collapsed when people started making bankruns. So the natural response was obviously not to admit fault, but to confiscate everyone's gold.
Keep right -->

New Werpland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Werpland » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:26 pm

New Werpland wrote:Surely you can't love Putin if you wan't him to adopt the gold standard. But anyway I agree with you, Putin is great. He did a good job expanding Russia's list of Puppet states and imprisoning all those evil gay men.

Well, more like reclaiming puppet states, they kind of lost them all after the USSR fell.

Well they had a little more control over themselves during soviet times.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:26 pm

Anglo-California wrote:I live in California, where gas prices have been extremely high (it's been mostly above $4.00 since the Recession. Hell, I still remember when it was like $5.00 in 2008).

Anyways, gas prices are now below $3.00, for the first time since like 2006. I like this.

Where have you been living? I'ts been about $3.70 ish where I live since 2009. Last time I paid more than four dollars was when I was 16 and that was in SF.

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Kelinfort wrote:
Anglo-California wrote:I live in California, where gas prices have been extremely high (it's been mostly above $4.00 since the Recession. Hell, I still remember when it was like $5.00 in 2008).

Anyways, gas prices are now below $3.00, for the first time since like 2006. I like this.

Where have you been living? I'ts been about $3.70 ish where I live since 2009. Last time I paid more than four dollars was when I was 16 and that was in SF.

I lived in New York during the recession, it got a bit above $4 for a while.
Keep right -->

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General