NATION

PASSWORD

Double, Double Oil and Trouble

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:32 am

Anglo-California wrote:I live in California, where gas prices have been extremely high (it's been mostly above $4.00 since the Recession. Hell, I still remember when it was like $5.00 in 2008).

Anyways, gas prices are now below $3.00, for the first time since like 2006. I like this.

:rofl:

When fuel costs you about $10 a gallon then you have something to moan about it being high.
Slava Ukraini

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:36 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Anglo-California wrote:I live in California, where gas prices have been extremely high (it's been mostly above $4.00 since the Recession. Hell, I still remember when it was like $5.00 in 2008).

Anyways, gas prices are now below $3.00, for the first time since like 2006. I like this.

When fuel costs you about $10 a gallon then you have something to moan about it being high.

What country are you from?
password scrambled

Skeckoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skeckoa » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:37 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:When fuel costs you about $10 a gallon then you have something to moan about it being high.
It deffy does not help when American urban areas are some of the lowest density in the world, and require you to take a car to do essentially anything.

Also doesn't help that houses are more spread out as well and therefore more costly to heat as compared to apartments such as in most European cities.
Last edited by Skeckoa on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
One of those PC liberals with anti-colonist sympathies
——————————
————————————
————————————
CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC
————————————

The Transcaucasian Democratic Republic
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Transcaucasian Democratic Republic » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:39 am

Maybe this is the OPEC trying to compete with the enhanced North American sector of this industry.
I am a thirteen-year-old Dominican male known for my Europhilia and my lack of nationalism (for this country at least). I have yet to find a political ideology that fits me perfectly (I doubt it exists) but generally I'm a centrist leaning a bit toward the left. My family will move to Ireland some time in the summer.
Ireland-bound
Economic Left/Right-3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.41

Shilya
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shilya » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:40 am

Condunum wrote:

I'm from Germany, and am regulary amused at american complaints about gas prices as well. We pay approximately 6 Euro ($7.50) per gallon, and used to be higher as well.
Impeach freedom, government is welfare, Ron Paul is theft, legalize 2016!

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:40 am

Skeckoa wrote:
The Nihilistic view wrote:When fuel costs you about $10 a gallon then you have something to moan about it being high.
It deffy does not help when American urban areas are some of the lowest density in the world, and require you to take a car to go essentially anything.

Also doesn't help that houses are more spread out as well and therefore more costly to heat as compared to apartments such as in most European cities.

At current gas accounts for 35%+-5 of my spending. It's not like they're particularly cheap prices here at 4 dollars a gallon, they were an absolute nightmare because I commute 20 minutes and 17 miles (or 18 minutes and 16.5 miles depending on the job) each way every day.
Last edited by Condunum on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
password scrambled

The Transcaucasian Democratic Republic
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Transcaucasian Democratic Republic » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:55 am

Shilya wrote:
Condunum wrote:What country are you from?

I'm from Germany, and am regulary amused at american complaints about gas prices as well. We pay approximately 6 Euro ($7.50) per gallon, and used to be higher as well.

Here we pay about $1.50 less and we get it at heavily-subsidised prices from Venezuela.
I am a thirteen-year-old Dominican male known for my Europhilia and my lack of nationalism (for this country at least). I have yet to find a political ideology that fits me perfectly (I doubt it exists) but generally I'm a centrist leaning a bit toward the left. My family will move to Ireland some time in the summer.
Ireland-bound
Economic Left/Right-3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.41

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:57 am

Shilya wrote:

Indeed, it does make me laugh. :lol2:
Slava Ukraini

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:59 am

Condunum wrote:

UK, our current price is about $7 per US gallon. That's down from 2012 highs of about $9-10 per US gallon.
Slava Ukraini

Tayrona
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tayrona » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:01 am

Current price here is approx. US$1.37/litre (€110/litre). It's nice to see it falling but it's only a temporary fall. It'll pick back up. That's why OPEC is so nonchalant about cutting production, they can and will force that price back up at any time.
Former optimist. Current cynic.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:01 am

UK, our current price is about $7 per US gallon. That's down from 2012 highs of about $9-10 per US gallon.

Which I'd be capable of paying, if our insurance prices didn't make your look like chump change.
password scrambled

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:18 am

Condunum wrote:
Skeckoa wrote: It deffy does not help when American urban areas are some of the lowest density in the world, and require you to take a car to go essentially anything.

At current gas accounts for 35%+-5 of my spending. It's not like they're particularly cheap prices here at 4 dollars a gallon, they were an absolute nightmare because I commute 20 minutes and 17 miles (or 18 minutes and 16.5 miles depending on the job) each way every day.

Either your car has the most inefficient internal combustion engine in the world or you need to ask for a raise. I have about a 20 mile commute to my job in the holidays, costs me about £8-9 a day fuel. I drive my dad's old car which has a 2.5L TDI so not exactly easy on the fuel. But it's not close to such a huge chunk of my spending.
Slava Ukraini

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:52 am

Condunum wrote:At current gas accounts for 35%+-5 of my spending. It's not like they're particularly cheap prices here at 4 dollars a gallon, they were an absolute nightmare because I commute 20 minutes and 17 miles (or 18 minutes and 16.5 miles depending on the job) each way every day.

Either your car has the most inefficient internal combustion engine in the world or you need to ask for a raise. I have about a 20 mile commute to my job in the holidays, costs me about £8-9 a day fuel. I drive my dad's old car which has a 2.5L TDI so not exactly easy on the fuel. But it's not close to such a huge chunk of my spending.

I drive a truck. I need to drive a truck. Avg mpg is about 15, and raises aren't a real thing in America. They're structured.

You should consider spending a few years in America on anything below an 11$/hr job. They're the fastest growing area of employment and they don't support a family.
Last edited by Condunum on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
password scrambled

Kravanica
Senator

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:56 am

Conserative Morality wrote:I'll put on my conspiracy theory hat and say that OPEC is letting prices drop in the hopes that businesses in the West will make the short term decision to lessen investment in renewables, in order that OPEC might extend its profiteering.

Well... At least you admitted to the conspiracy theory part.

In any event, it's nice to see oil prices dropping. It probably won't last, but whatever.
The Kravanican Realm (PMT)
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
My nation does not represent my RL views

American and Jewish
Conservatarian with various "right-wing" leanings

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Calimera II » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Shilya wrote:

Indeed. The Gas Price in the US is extremely low. In The Netherlands, were I am living, it is US$9,46 currently.
Source: http://www.statista.com/statistics/2213 ... the-world/

Estva
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estva » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:26 pm

You also need a car to really get any job here in the US.

I mean, Texas is the size of France.
Join the Libdems.

The Confederacy of Nationalism
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:29 pm

Falling oil is fucking lovely...
I like my $2.00 gasoline
I like low prices so I can invest in oil too
and I certainly love that the ruble crisis might give Russia an incentive to back the ruble with gold, which would be a slap in the face to dollar imperialism.
Keep right -->
Don't give in to degeneracy,

My honor, my dignity, my pride above my life. No regrets.
American Ultranationalist
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler
Resident Social Darwinist

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:29 pm

Calimera II wrote:
Shilya wrote:I'm from Germany, and am regulary amused at american complaints about gas prices as well. We pay approximately 6 Euro ($7.50) per gallon, and used to be higher as well.

Indeed. The Gas Price in the US is extremely low. In The Netherlands, were I am living, it is US$9,46 currently.

and in Venezuela it's $0.12
Keep right -->

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire / "If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it!" - Adolf Hitler

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:35 pm

Skeckoa wrote:
It deffy does not help when American urban areas are some of the lowest density in the world, and require you to take a car to do essentially anything.

Nah man, nobody lives in the decaying urban areas anymore, Americans need cars because of the suburban flight in the 50s. Suburban America dwarfs urban and rural America.
Last edited by The Confederacy of Nationalism on Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep right -->

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Calimera II » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:51 pm

The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:
Calimera II wrote:Indeed. The Gas Price in the US is extremely low. In The Netherlands, were I am living, it is US$9,46 currently.

and in Venezuela it's $0.12

Indeed. That's a bit too perfect.

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:56 pm

Calimera II wrote:
The Confederacy of Nationalism wrote:and in Venezuela it's $0.12

Indeed. That's a bit too perfect.

No, it's because gasoline is heavily subsidized there. It's heavily taxed in northern Europe, and it's lightly taxed in America.
Keep right -->

Second Blazing
Minister

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Second Blazing » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:01 pm

Keep on dropping, 2.19 right now, I heard its 1.99 in Sioux Falls. I got a 10-12 hour drive to Chicago next weekend, the more it drops, the cheaper it will be.
"I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:02 pm

Second Blazing wrote:Keep on dropping, 2.19 right now, I heard its 1.99 in Sioux Falls. I got a 10-12 hour drive to Chicago next weekend, the more it drops, the cheaper it will be.

damn treehuggers and their hybrids
I can't hear them over the sound of my
giant
throbbing
V8
Keep right -->

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:36 pm

Valica wrote:Hopefully when the prices slingshot back, people will have been so used to low prices that they invest that saved money in renewable methods for cars.

Tesla, water engines, clean-burning fuels.
All of it needs to come so we can kill oil and have a shot at saving our godforsaken planet.

Seem you did not see the news. Seems that in the US the sale of SUV's, which consume gasoline, have gone up because of lower gasoline prices.

And here on our island, they need money badly so they passed a law which increases the tax on a barrel of oil from $9.50 US dollars to $15.50 US dollars. It goes into effect in March 15. They say people will not notice since the price of gasoline per litre has gone down. The problem is what happens when the price of oil goes back up.
Last edited by Rio Cana on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Confederacy of Nationalism » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:39 pm

Valica wrote:Hopefully when the prices slingshot back, people will have been so used to low prices that they invest that saved money in renewable methods for cars.

Tesla, water engines, clean-burning fuels.
All of it needs to come so we can kill oil and have a shot at saving our godforsaken planet.

Why should we as a species desire to stay on our mundane planet when hopefully within the next thousand years we can conquer others?
Keep right -->

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General