NATION

PASSWORD

How would you run your country's foreign policy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Canaore
Envoy

Founded: Jan 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

How would you run your country's foreign policy?

Postby Canaore » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Let's say you're in charge of your country's foreign policy. How would you run it? As an American, I'd stop our quasi-unilateral support for Israel, since they've proven to be shitty allies. I'd try to expand NAFTA and maybe create a mini version of the FTAA, I'd lobby for the G4's entry in the Security Council and I'd also increase cooperation between NATO and Eastern European countries under threat by Russia.
— The Alliance of Canaore —

“Libertas, Justitia, Veritas”

Economic Left/Right: 2.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.08
I'm a center-rightist.

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:15 pm

I'd disband the military, quadruple foreign aid, and call it a day.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

Calimera II
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 03, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Calimera II » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:21 pm

I would put lots of effort in the 'Patria Grande' and the Mercosur. Furthermore, I would try to recover Argentina's sovereignty over the Islas Malvinas. But I would only do that in a peaceful way, of course. I would also strengthen diplomatic relations with Russia, China, The EU, America and other nations. Moreover, I would continue Kirchner's fight against the holdouts.
Last edited by Calimera II on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:21 pm

Canaore wrote:Let's say you're in charge of your country's foreign policy. How would you run it? As an American, I'd stop our quasi-unilateral support for Israel, since they've proven to be shitty allies. I'd try to expand NAFTA and maybe create a mini version of the FTAA, I'd lobby for the G4's entry in the Security Council and I'd also increase cooperation between NATO and Eastern European countries under threat by Russia.

I wholeheartedly agree. Israel was supposed to present a model for a free democratic society to the Mideast; they have failed. Cut off aid, and make them pay all the loans we have quietly "excused".

Choose another demonstration project. How about Lebanon, where Muslim factions and Christians have a working mutual understanding? They would have stability, were it not for Israel.

I'd remove the embargo against Cuba, which hurts them (for no good reason) more than it helps us.

I'd also remove the embargo against Iran. It is purposeless, once you remove the demonizing rhetoric.

I would allow more immigration by refugees from persecution.

I would withdraw CIA presence in Venezuela and curtail paramilitary operations out of Colombia.

I would legalize marijuana, and this rationalize Latin American policy. This should be especially helpful with Mexico and Colombia.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:28 pm

I work under the principle that a good war is just what the nation needs, not one of those "I think we should commit some planes and shit" sort of war, but another Vietnam sort of war, where we all know it is basically unwinnable, but its going to get us some nice music and some nice films along the way before we inevitably pull out, and bag ourselves another nation that hates our guts.
Last edited by Nationes Pii Redivivi on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Estado Nacional
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Nacional » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:30 pm

- Tell Mercosul to get its shit together or we'll leave.
- Stop propping up South America and Africa.
- Increase cooperation between BRICS, especially with India and China.
- Apply for observer status at APEC.
- Apply for observer status at the Pacific Alliance.
- Make an effort to join the OECD.
- Get those free trade agreements with the US and the EU off paper.
- Support the creation of the FTAA.
- Work closer with the G4 in order to get permanent seats in the UN Security Council.
- In all honesty, I'd try to withdraw from the NNPT, but I'm not sure if that's possible. Still, it's not like we have any enemies or an agressive foreign policy, so I can't see why other countries would mind.
- Increase border security.
- Stop those bullshit protectionist/corporatist economic policies.

I guess that's it.
Last edited by Estado Nacional on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Economic Left/Right: 3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:33 pm

Margno wrote:I'd disband the military, quadruple foreign aid, and call it a day.

I'd invade whatever country this sap's from.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?
In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,
Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder, and some Hunter may express
Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.
The Nuclear Fist wrote:Transoxthraxia confirmed for shit taste

The Rebel Alliances
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Rebel Alliances » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Transoxthraxia wrote:
Margno wrote:I'd disband the military, quadruple foreign aid, and call it a day.

I'd invade whatever country this sap's from.

I would join you, say, split the spoils 50-50? ;)
My RP Nation is the Islamic Republic of Alamon

The Starlight wrote:Rebel Force: Noun - A strange power associated with street-level characters who are the weakest, yet most powerful of all.

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:37 pm

To list a few:

-Withdraw support from Israel, and support Palestinian statehood
-Accept the authority of ICC and ICJ
-Decrease overall military spending by 30-40% and increase foreign aid
-Be prepared to intervene in a country in instances of genocide and ethnic cleansing, especially if said country requests intervention
-Aside from that, reduce military actions in other countries (i.e. Iraq, Afghanistan)
-End targeted killings
-End wars on Terror and Drugs
-Withdraw from NAFTA
-End surveillance programs on allies and neutral nations
Last edited by MERIZoC on Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Servica
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Servica » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:43 pm

My country? I'd wreck it for sure no doubt.
The Deference-free Constituency of Servica
Volition,
Tangibilism, Neobarbarism, Maximalism
[About Servica]
[The Flag]
[Words from Servica]
[The Moral Anchors]
Federative post-collapse society. The collapse eradicated class and previous institutions. Made money mean a lot less. Exists in the 2090s and had just begun learning the management of a para-industrial, post-financial capitalist, partially resource-based economy after being agrarian since forever.
They/Them, Southeast Asia, nation canon represents maybe some 67% of my beliefs, and I also like playing the stats for fun.

Crimiea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Crimiea » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:49 pm

I'm American.

I'd lift the ban of military expansion on both Japan and Germany. I'd have so much fun shutting everyone up about this.

I'd force Israel and Palestine to become a federation unified by a Federal Parliament, a Judicial Court, a Senatorial House representative of both states, and a democratically elected president of the federation. Monetary aid will now be given towards fixing the poorer regions of the federation to avoid conflict. We'd be the first to ask for a free trade agreement.

I'd focus more on the OAS, however. Possibly having its HQ be in Guadalajara, Mexico City, New York, Houston, Los Angeles, Santiago, Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, or Rio. I'd use American power to force the entire alliance into having a "war on corruption" to fix corruption in many of the member states into being a more stable government. If there are major improvements, the United States will then move into fixing its socio-economic problems of many member states. The whole alliance will slice at least 5% of its military budget to help poorer countries develop to the point the average person can have its basic needs met (roads, police force, water, food, shelter, education, and healthcare). The goal is for the average OAS citizen to have its living standards be at a sustainable level, poverty rates will go down, crime will be reduced as a result (not entirely eradicated, sadly), the overall health of the country improves, and education, at least until they finish high school, meet global standards. The United States will punish all member states who deny anyone access to basic education. Healthcare must meet international standards. Once corruption and social problems are solved, there will be free trades across the board, and the USA will reestablish relations with Cuba, because we're brothers and should cooperate despite our differences; embargoes are lifted and Cuba will receive any aid it needs to modernize its country. A military pact will be agreed upon by all OAS member states. Every country has one vote when deciding what actions to take as an organization and educational institutions should cooperate across the continent in cultural exchange to help create this sense of unity among the OAS. As a result, the United States will be less active with NATO. The OAS constitution will guarantee Human Rights across the board, no country are above this constitution. I'll then force my own country to calm down and shut down its intimidation machine once everything is right, the USA now reduced to being an equal within the alliance.

Also, I'd be killed if not for the above, then because I'm Jewish. No American would want someone of different religious backgrounds as president.
Last edited by Crimiea on Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are this Crimea|Political Compass
Greatest political ad since 2011|¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Should've pick the Jew, Antisemitic Hillbots
University student, 22, American, Independent voter, ESTJ, aspiring professor.

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:59 pm

The Rebel Alliances wrote:
Transoxthraxia wrote:I'd invade whatever country this sap's from.

I would join you, say, split the spoils 50-50? ;)

But of course.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?
In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,
Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder, and some Hunter may express
Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.
The Nuclear Fist wrote:Transoxthraxia confirmed for shit taste

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:35 pm

I'd largely use defense forces for peacemaking and humanitarian assistance. I would never enter any sort of military action unless there was a multilateral UN decision to do so. And even then, I'd probably limit armed forces to providing training and such, unless there was a direct threat to my nation.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Kokotov
Attaché

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kokotov » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:59 pm

Support whole heartily reform in the U.N. security council so it becomes a fair legal body. Reform NATO into a more neutral military alliance (Get rid of its strong ideological attachments) Revoke recognition of Kosovo, in order to maintain that Russia does not own Crimea, or recognize the self-determination of the Crimean Russians. Encourage more use of dialogue and understanding between Israelis and Palestinians. Also hold a referendum in each state about independence, and grant them such a thing if 90% or more support it. Grant more sovereignty/autonomy to Federally recognized tribes. And finally encourage better integration between North American nations.
Just underwent government revitalization!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:05 pm

Expand NATO, maintain defense spending, increase foreign aid, and intervene whenever we can get approval from the UN.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Scyobayrynn
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scyobayrynn » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:08 pm

Mad man doctrine
Interventionist
Expansive Foreign Aid
Promote expansive Private Sector investment in foreign markets
Soft Power my ass off

I would also at any political cost end the bad relations with Cuba-- yes specifically little old Cuba, seriously, its time. Fix Kennedy's mess.
Last edited by Scyobayrynn on Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Gay
Atheist or Agnostic
Muath al-Kaseasbeh Jordanian hero, Muslim martyr.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:34 pm

More foreign aid and a Neo-Con foreign policy. I'd raise the military budget, put troops to fight ISIS and Assad, and stay in Afghanistan. I'd focus more on promoting stability than democracy at first. I'd start an effort to overthrow thew government of Laos, Vietnam, Cuba, and Belarus. I'd help France in Africa. I'd also help Ukraine fight their Putin-backed rebel insurgency, and overall expand the War on Terror.
Last edited by Murkwood on Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:35 pm

Into the ground

because I know very little about how to actually maintain relations with all of the many nations that US has contacts with.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Estado Nacional
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estado Nacional » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:39 pm

Murkwood wrote:I'd start an effort to overthrow thew government of Laos, Vietnam, Cuba, and Belarus.

Why Vietnam? They're pro-American.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Economic Left/Right: 3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82

Newne Thernania
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Newne Thernania » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:41 pm

i'd invade Canada, break off all ties with our allies, invade mexico and work with italy to overthrow dictators and replace them with democratic regimes.
RIP Carriebean nov 6,2013-July 7,2014 daddy loves you )Carriebean -- we did this horrid act. (in case you don't know.. .)
Cyprevus -- Just a question why do you nuke your own city's and kill your own people.
Carribean -- I try to toughen the people up for a nuclear brawl between another nation, so they are prepared for the real deal.
Bulgaria-Serbia -- Couldn't you just do a drill simulating it instead, and educate them on what to do in the case if a nuclear strike ?
Carriebean -- no, It's fun to watch them panic.[/spoiler]

Cworaliya
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cworaliya » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:00 pm

If I had a free hand in controlling german foreign policy, I would immediately leave NATO and try to steer the EU in a more democratic direction. I would seek closer ties with our smaller neigbours, especially Austria and Belgium. I would also try to work out some kind of a reconciliation policy towards Switzerland (our relations have deteriorated in the past, due to misunderstandings on tax issues).

I would also try to make Germany more "scandinavian", by expanding student exchange programs and thereby allowing more foreign ideas to enter our country. I greatly admire these nations, and for some reason, they are doing way better than us germans in many areas, including (but not limited to) social policy.
English is not my mother tongue... Please be respectful =)

Ripoll
Minister

Founded: Nov 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ripoll » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:09 pm

Cut our nuclear arms supply by half because it's gotten to the point where we can't even properly care for them. Keep current US alliances, continue negotiations with Iran, and withdraw support of the free syrian army, expand direct humanitarian aid and foreign aid. Continue trying to forge alliances with China, Japan, Germany and other leading nations and continue sanctions against Russia. I would also reform NATO to be an anti terrorist organization and work with border nations to try and drive down crime rates to prevent mass illegal immigration rather than relying on the strength of our border patrol which is an excessive amount of wasteful spending.
- Moderate Right Winger
- New Englander Liberal
-Profoundly Patriotic
-Objective and Pragmatic

I align myself with the democratic party, but I respect various moderate conservatives such as John Huntsman, John McCain, etc.

Political Compass | Economic 1.88 Social 0.77

Pro - Capitalism, Adam Smith, Mixed Economies, Radical Centrism, Moderates, Free and Fair trade, Affordable Care Act, Globalisation, Democracy.

Con - Socialism, Communism, Anarchism, Political Extremism, Self Righteous Atheists, Central Planning, libertarians, gold standard, and Ron Paul

Ripoll
Minister

Founded: Nov 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ripoll » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:11 pm

Murkwood wrote:More foreign aid and a Neo-Con foreign policy. I'd raise the military budget, put troops to fight ISIS and Assad, and stay in Afghanistan. I'd focus more on promoting stability than democracy at first. I'd start an effort to overthrow thew government of Laos, Vietnam, Cuba, and Belarus. I'd help France in Africa. I'd also help Ukraine fight their Putin-backed rebel insurgency, and overall expand the War on Terror.

You do realize assad is one of the main people in the middle east fighting against Isis right?

And provoking Russia beyond sanctions is a horrible idea.
- Moderate Right Winger
- New Englander Liberal
-Profoundly Patriotic
-Objective and Pragmatic

I align myself with the democratic party, but I respect various moderate conservatives such as John Huntsman, John McCain, etc.

Political Compass | Economic 1.88 Social 0.77

Pro - Capitalism, Adam Smith, Mixed Economies, Radical Centrism, Moderates, Free and Fair trade, Affordable Care Act, Globalisation, Democracy.

Con - Socialism, Communism, Anarchism, Political Extremism, Self Righteous Atheists, Central Planning, libertarians, gold standard, and Ron Paul

Marcurix
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:03 pm

In all honesty it couldn't be much different than the current policy.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
-Winston Churchill

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General