NATION

PASSWORD

Why monarchy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Why are you a monarchist

I was brought up in a country with a monarchy
18%
I'm a monarchist because monarchs are fancy
14%
I'm a monarchist because monarchies unite the people with an apolitical figure, a personification of the nation in a way
69%

Total votes : 147

The Wolven League
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Wolven League » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:44 pm

Democracy and Republicanism is stupid, giving the people power is like letting a cat tell you what to do in life; they don't know what humans normally do, and would give you some pretty crappy advice. The people don't know about politics than what the lie-filled commercials tell them, and vote for the worst choice possible.
For anyone wondering, I joined this website during my edgy teenage years. I made a lot of dumb, awkward posts, flip-flopped between various extreme ideologies, and just generally embarrassed myself. I denounce a sizable amount of my past posts. I am no longer active on NationStates and this nation/account is no longer used.

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:55 pm

The Wolven League wrote:Democracy and Republicanism is stupid, giving the people power is like letting a cat tell you what to do in life; they don't know what humans normally do, and would give you some pretty crappy advice. The people don't know about politics than what the lie-filled commercials tell them, and vote for the worst choice possible.

How can you be so sure the monarchy won't be the same way?
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:58 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:
The Wolven League wrote:Democracy and Republicanism is stupid, giving the people power is like letting a cat tell you what to do in life; they don't know what humans normally do, and would give you some pretty crappy advice. The people don't know about politics than what the lie-filled commercials tell them, and vote for the worst choice possible.

How can you be so sure the monarchy won't be the same way?

... Because if there's no voting, no one can vote for the worst possible choice? Pretty damn obvious.
Kelinfort wrote:
Vazdaria wrote:Nobility is by no means an "enemy of progress." What better way to be recognized than to have one of your vassels come up with the next great thing??? :)

What better way to retain a social order than to subjugate an uneducated workforce bound to the land?

What better way to attack an opposing argument you have no real counterargument to than to attack a strawman instead?
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

The Cold Place
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cold Place » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:59 pm

Monarchy without democracy is hopelessly idiotic as it assumes that the next person in line to the throne is fully competent to rule.

It is much harder to remove an incompetent autocratic ruler than an incompetent democratic ruler.
Deposing a monarchy is also a much more messy processes.

The people don't know about politics than what the lie-filled commercials tell them, and vote for the worst choice possible.

This is not always true, take for instance either Roosevelt, and not everyone votes based off of television commercials.
There is nothing to stop a monarch from being lie filled either.

The Cold Place
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cold Place » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:00 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:How can you be so sure the monarchy won't be the same way?

... Because if there's no voting, no one can vote for the worst possible choice? Pretty damn obvious.

There would still be someone to vote for the worst possible choice...whoever is in control.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:01 pm

Right. Monarchy improves this by giving a few rich assholes a choice, or better yet a family, then you can get a blithering idiot or a slightly better ruler...for the rest of their life.

Sorry to say I prefer only four to five years of a moron than twenty.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:02 pm

The Cold Place wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:... Because if there's no voting, no one can vote for the worst possible choice? Pretty damn obvious.

There would still be someone to vote for the worst possible choice...whoever is in control.

That's not a vote. That's just a decision.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

The Cold Place
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cold Place » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:06 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:
The Cold Place wrote:

A decision can be the same thing as a vote for the worst possible choice would be.
Also, if one person, or a small group of people, are in control they are effectively the electorate.

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:07 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:
The Cold Place wrote:

Even if no one is voting the leader could still be a moron. How do you propose we keep good, smart leaders forever? Also, someone has to decide who's next in line.
Last edited by The Cobalt Sky on Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

The Cold Place
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cold Place » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:12 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:That's not a vote. That's just a decision.

Even if no one is voting the leader could still be a moron. How do you propose we keep good, smart leaders forever? Also, some has to decide who's next in line.

There is a long tradition of somewhat decent sovereigns being succeeded by imbeciles.

Wilhelm ii belongs in that category.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:15 pm

The Cold Place wrote:

A decision can be the same thing as a vote for the worst possible choice would be.
Also, if one person, or a small group of people, are in control they are effectively the electorate.

Except there's no elections. I'm not disputing the point that a monarch could make poor decisions, I'm pointing out that "the same thing could happen in a monarchy" is a pretty vague and stupid thing to say. What same thing? People mighty vote for a poor leader? Obviously not going to happen if people are not voting for their leader. A more sensible point to make would be that a monarch could possibly make the same poor decisions as an elected representative or appoint ministers who were incompetent. While being very true, however, the fact that monarchy is not immune to bad decisions hardly vindicates democracy, which is just as prone to poor decisions. The faultless government exists only in people's imaginations. Perfection is beyond the grasp of lowly mortals such as ourselves.
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

The Cold Place
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cold Place » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:
The Cold Place wrote:

Except there's no elections. I'm not disputing the point that a monarch could make poor decisions, I'm pointing out that "the same thing could happen in a monarchy" is a pretty vague and stupid thing to say.

Actually, it is not a vague thing to say. I would further assert that a monarch would usually devolve into actions which would destabilize the nation that would be difficult to accomplish in a functional, democratic nation. $20 million dollar parties belong in that category.

What same thing? People mighty vote for a poor leader? Obviously not going to happen if people are not voting for their leader.

I am not talking about people voting for "leaders", I am talking about regular citizens voting for legislation (directly, or through representation) vs monarchs choosing legislation.

A more sensible point to make would be that a monarch could possibly make the same poor decisions as an elected representative or appoint ministers who were incompetent. While being very true, however, the fact that monarchy is not immune to bad decisions hardly vindicates democracy, which is just as prone to poor decisions. The faultless government exists only in people's imaginations. Perfection is beyond the grasp of lowly mortals such as ourselves.

No, when a democratically elected official makes a idiotic decision they can be voted out. When a monarch does the same they are still there until they abdicate or are killed/exiled.
The fact that democracy has a strategy for regime change does vindicate democracy.

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:34 pm

The Cold Place wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:Even if no one is voting the leader could still be a moron. How do you propose we keep good, smart leaders forever? Also, some has to decide who's next in line.

There is a long tradition of somewhat decent sovereigns being succeeded by imbeciles.

Wilhelm ii belongs in that category.

Yes. I'm agreeing with you.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:36 pm

Presumably because everybody likes to feel unique and special.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:39 pm

Benuty wrote:
Vazdaria wrote:Democracy and The Republic are unnecessary!

By Platonic standards yes.

Today's standards however no.

When there are posts which use today's standards to reach the same conclusion and you reply to one like this...
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:42 pm

Forsher wrote:
Benuty wrote:By Platonic standards yes.

Today's standards however no.

When there are posts which use today's standards to reach the same conclusion and you reply to one like this...

Given they probably brainwash themselves concerning Plato's thoughts about Philosopher kings it is a miracle they haven't destroyed something yet.
Last edited by Benuty on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Benuty wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Given they probably brainwash themselves concerning Plato's thoughts about Philosopher kings it is a miracle they haven't destroyed something yet.

I was insinuating that you set up a strawman by proxy.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Benuty wrote:
Forsher wrote:

I could hardly care about what Plato has to say on the matter. What authority is Plato on the matter anyway? His concept of Philsopher Kings is completely idiotic.
NSG's one and only Constitutional Executive Monarcho-Corporatist!
100% Pro-Women Pro-Babies Pro-Life!!!

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:11 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:

Even if no one is voting the leader could still be a moron. How do you propose we keep good, smart leaders forever? Also, someone has to decide who's next in line.

By proper education, of course.

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:24 am

Vazdaria wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:Even if no one is voting the leader could still be a moron. How do you propose we keep good, smart leaders forever? Also, someone has to decide who's next in line.

By proper education, of course.

How do you make sure it's never corrupted? Also, if such an education is given to a select body of people, I don't see why it shouldn't be given to everyone.

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:13 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:
Vazdaria wrote:By proper education, of course.

How do you make sure it's never corrupted? Also, if such an education is given to a select body of people, I don't see why it shouldn't be given to everyone.

We can never guarantee that, just as we can never guarantee that a Democratic Republic won't be corrupted either.

However, the probability that the Executive will make good decisions ultimately increases if they are raised and educated to lead a country.
Last edited by Vazdaria on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dinake
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dinake » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:23 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:

It's a problem of practicality. Giving such an education to everyone is just not feasible.
Catholic traditionalist, anti-capitalist with medievalist/distributist influences, monarchist. The drunk uncle of nationstates. Puppet of Dio. Don't sell the vatican.
Look if you name your child "Reince Priebus" and he ends up as a functionary in an authoritarian regime you only have yourself to blame
-Ross Douthat, reacting to Trump's presumptive nomination.
Darrell Castle 2016!

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:26 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:

Also, not everyone wants to be a "Political Scientist" extraordinaire that the Executive must be. Some people want to be a baker, or an astronaut, which do not require this knowledge.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Yes, people are ignorant and biased. The problem is, monarchs are people too. Democracy is inherently flawed, because any system of government that involves human beings is inherently flawed, but it's the least flawed system of government.
Last edited by Utceforp on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are so 2014.

The Nuclear Fist
Post Czar

Founded: May 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nuclear Fist » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:46 pm

And clearly you're just so much smarter than all those sheeple, baby. Mommy always patted you on the head and told you so.
[23:24] <Marquesan> I have the feeling that all the porn videos you watch are like...set to Primus' music, Ulysses.
Farnhamia wrote:You're getting a little too fond of the jerkoff motions.
And you touch the distant beaches with tales of brave Ulysses. . .
THE ABSOLUTTM MADMAN ESCAPES JUSTICE ONCE MORE

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General