NATION

PASSWORD

Why monarchy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Why are you a monarchist

I was brought up in a country with a monarchy
18%
I'm a monarchist because monarchs are fancy
14%
I'm a monarchist because monarchies unite the people with an apolitical figure, a personification of the nation in a way
69%

Total votes : 147

The Austrians and Slovenes
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Austrians and Slovenes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Snowfall the Unicorn wrote:Because why not monarchy?

In fact, why not Zoidberg?

(\/) (;,,,;) (\/)

Let's have a serious debate here, please.

Snowfall the Unicorn
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Snowfall the Unicorn » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:10 pm

The Austrians and Slovenes wrote:
Snowfall the Unicorn wrote:Because why not monarchy?

In fact, why not Zoidberg?

(\/) (;,,,;) (\/)

Let's have a serious debate here, please.

I apologize, I have no idea why I did that :blink:

The Austrians and Slovenes
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Austrians and Slovenes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Snowfall the Unicorn wrote:
The Austrians and Slovenes wrote:Let's have a serious debate here, please.

I apologize, I have no idea why I did that :blink:

Let's forget it then.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:14 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote:
Equality is good if it's equality under the law. This way we can assure that no one minority (or majority) transpose their values onto society and the true merits of the individual can shine.

You see, I agree with a certain type of equality in which everyone is entitled to receive a proper trial, the unemployed are given an allowance, everyone is educated by the state at no cost, etc. but I cannot accept the concept of all humans being equal in the sense that I accept (and prefer) monarchies.

All humans aren't equal unfortunately, I agree with that much. But it is this inequality that allows our merits to shine. I may not be a good basketball player like Michael Jordan, but I have other talents that he doesn't. The problem is when we allow these inequalities to rule us. The monopoly of violence has always been squarely centered on the executive function of the state - which was usually occupied by monarchs of immense power and political influence that would make Obama seem uninfluential. Often, a constitution wouldn't be enough without serious divisions in power - and then what difference are they to a Republic except in name?

So you sound more like the "progressive" monarchist than the feudalist absolutist of old, I would expect that much from this forum. I'm not really sold on the idea of a monarchy, I don't really care for preserving high culture or creating what is essentially a public tourist trap.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:30 pm

I'm kind of neutral on the monarchy question...

Like, I don't see a strong reason (that is worth the trouble) for countries that are already constitutional monarchies to become republics. Nor do I see the need for any republics to become constitutional monarchies. I'm not really for monarchy, but I'm not really staunchly opposed to the point where I can justify the UK/NZ/Australia/Canada/(and the other European monarchies) going through the process of becoming republics. I'm not attached to symbolism, which is largely what a transition to republicanism would be; just a change of symbols. I see the merits of republicanism just as I see the value of an apolitical/ceremonial constitutional monarch. If those countries were to become republicans, I'd want the elected heads of state to remain as ceremonial and apolitical as possible. I don't think, say, the UK would be better off ditching Queen Elizabeth II for an elected President, just as America wouldn't be better off somehow installing Obama as a monarch. :p I just feel uninterested in the debate around it.

I guess if I had to classify myself, I'd be a republican, but I'd be a republican that really doesn't care about it, nor is passionate about it. I really like the idea of egalitarianism and such, and that makes (ideologically) inheriting the crown sort of repugnant, but in practice, it's not really worth caring about, as it doesn't really have much effect on society. (I don't think that a society has to be a republic to be egalitarian. Do I think republican US is more egalitarian than monarchist Denmark? No.)
Last edited by Atlanticatia on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:38 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:
That's a lot of fancy titles that essentially amounts to "dictator."

Why don't you slap on some separation of powers and a constitution on that bad boy and then we can start talkin.'

Nah, no monarchist on this thread has declared himself/herself an absolute monarchist to my knowledge.

Well for me since I don't like changes to a monarchical system I would be a absolute monarchist in the case of Tsarist Russia or Qing China. But the reason is simply because at times trying to change the monarchy can lead to very wrong results (such as in the case of Russia). Of course I have been called an apologist for Tsar Nicholas II so take that as you will. So effectively if Russia still had a Tsar with absolute power I would support him because of my policy of supporting all Monarchies. But I am mostly a constitutional monarchist because it would be madness to create an absolute monarchy in this day and age. It is simply impractical to try.

Celivaia wrote:"Today is a great day. Recently, we completed a project that will greatly help the Salarian Union in it's fight, and while I cannot divulge information about this project, I am pleased to announce that this project was no small feat, and for his dedication, work, and pure, brilliant genius, we have a special award for this Salarian. We cannot divulge the name of this operative, but we have given him a special award, the "Star of the Union," and as an added bonus, we have decided to rename this, our home planet, after him. As of this moment, you are now standing on Solus'Kesh."

Philosophy and Religion Major

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:42 pm

Vazdaria wrote:Its an apparent reality. Everyone is unequality. LONG LIVE INEQUALITY!

Equality is good if it's equality under the law. This way we can assure that no one minority (or majority) transpose their values onto society and the true merits of the individual can shine.

Nonsense. Everyone should be treated differently under the law.
Last edited by Vazdaria on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NSG's one and only Constitutional Executive Monarcho-Corporatist!
100% Pro-Women Pro-Babies Pro-Life!!!

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:44 pm

Vazdaria wrote:

Nonsense. Everyone should be treated differently nder the law.

Lol wat. Why?

Yes, I am back(ish)

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:46 pm

Vazdaria wrote:Nonsense. Everyone should be treated differently nder the law.

Lol wat. Why?

Because people aren't equal, that is why. Justice should be mended to meet the needs of this reality.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:46 pm

Vazdaria wrote:
Lol wat. Why?

Because people aren't equal, that is why. Justice should be mended to meet the needs of this reality.

Do you support Affirmative Action/Positive Discrimination by any chance, Vaz?

Yes, I am back(ish)

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:49 pm

Vazdaria wrote:Because people aren't equal, that is why. Justice should be mended to meet the needs of this reality.

No, its racist, classist, and, completely idiotic.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:50 pm

Vazdaria wrote:

No, its racist, classist, and, completely idiotic.

But it makes people unequal on basis of law! You should reevaluate your stance towards AA.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:52 pm

Vazdaria wrote:No, its racist, classist, and, completely idiotic.

But it makes people unequal on basis of law! You should reevaluate your stance towards AA.

Its aim is to achieve equality, I don't support that.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:55 pm

Vazdaria wrote:

Its aim is to achieve equality, I don't support that.

So you don't support inequality under the law, and instead champion classical liberal values. Good for you, Vaz.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Dukats
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dukats » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:36 am

Sebastianbourg wrote:
Dukats wrote:Democracy brings corruption and even idiots can be politicians.If we raise a future kings since childhood how to be a strong and good ruler it would be better then spending so much money every 4 years on election advertisement.And it helps the troops morale since they are fighting for king and country.

Remember most of us support a constitutional monarchy. Since you're Serbian I ask you the following question, would you favour the restoration of the monarchy?

Of course I do.

За краља и отаџбину!

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:41 am

Dukats wrote:
Sebastianbourg wrote:Remember most of us support a constitutional monarchy. Since you're Serbian I ask you the following question, would you favour the restoration of the monarchy?

Of course I do.

За краља и отаџбину!

Do you think it is possible? Roughly, how many of your compatriots support the restoration of the monarchy?

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:11 am

I feel like this topic is a hard one. People support monarchies and don't support monarchies for so many different reasons, and people's definition of monarchy, as in the extent of power, seems to vary. Also, there doesn't seem to be one country we're all talking about. I'm against monarchy but I'm speaking as a US citizen and my definition of monarchy would be a full out king or queen, since it doesn't say 'constitutional' anywhere.
Last edited by The Cobalt Sky on Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:14 am

The Cobalt Sky wrote:I feel like this topic is a hard one. People support monarchies and don't support monarchies for so many different reasons, and people's definition of monarchy, as in the extent of power, seems to vary. Also, there doesn't seem to be one country we're all talking about. I'm against monarchy but I'm speaking as a US citizen and my definition of monarchy would be a full out king or queen, since it doesn't say "constitutional" anywhere.

You seem to have a fairly limited view of what Monarchy is.....

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:15 am

Sebastianbourg wrote:
Dukats wrote:Of course I do.

За краља и отаџбину!

Do you think it is possible? Roughly, how many of your compatriots support the restoration of the monarchy?

I support a restoration of monarchy!

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:17 am

Vazdaria wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:I feel like this topic is a hard one. People support monarchies and don't support monarchies for so many different reasons, and people's definition of monarchy, as in the extent of power, seems to vary. Also, there doesn't seem to be one country we're all talking about. I'm against monarchy but I'm speaking as a US citizen and my definition of monarchy would be a full out king or queen, since it doesn't say "constitutional" anywhere.

You seem to have a fairly limited view of what Monarchy is.....

I know a monarchy can be more, but I'm saying it doesn't really say what kind of monarchy so that's what I went with, assuming he meant absolute.
I TRY TO KEEP MY WILD ASSERTIONS, AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO HOLD OFF POSTING WITH THIS NATION UNTIL 2016

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:19 am

Vazdaria wrote:
Sebastianbourg wrote:Do you think it is possible? Roughly, how many of your compatriots support the restoration of the monarchy?

I support a restoration of monarchy!

You're not Serbian, though, Vaz. As far as I know, at least.

Although I believe Serbia does currently have one of Europe's strongest restoration movements. Only in Romania and Montenegro does a restoration seem more likely.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:21 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Vazdaria wrote:I support a restoration of monarchy!

You're not Serbian, though, Vaz. As far as I know, at least.

Although I believe Serbia does currently have one of Europe's strongest restoration movements. Only in Romania and Montenegro does a restoration seem more likely.

So? I'd still support it! c:

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:22 am

The Cobalt Sky wrote:
Vazdaria wrote:You seem to have a fairly limited view of what Monarchy is.....

I know a monarchy can be more, but I'm saying it doesn't really say what kind of monarchy so that's what I went with, assuming he meant absolute.

Oh, well then. In any event, Monarchy is great!!!

The Cobalt Sky
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cobalt Sky » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:31 am

Vazdaria wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:I know a monarchy can be more, but I'm saying it doesn't really say what kind of monarchy so that's what I went with, assuming he meant absolute.

Oh, well then. In any event, Monarchy is great!!!

What kind? And also, I don't want that in the US. An absolute monarchy is essentially fascism.
Last edited by The Cobalt Sky on Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:33 am

Vazdaria wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:You're not Serbian, though, Vaz. As far as I know, at least.

So? I'd still support it! c:

That wasn't Sebastianbourg's question, though. He was asking specifically about support for a restoration within Serbia itself.
The Cobalt Sky wrote:
Vazdaria wrote:Oh, well then. In any event, Monarchy is great!!!

What kind? And also, I don't want that in the US. An absolute monarchy is essentially facism.

Might I suggest you just don't use words you don't understand? Because, honestly, you're just making yourself look foolish. At least use spellchecker.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General