NATION

PASSWORD

Why monarchy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Why are you a monarchist

I was brought up in a country with a monarchy
18%
I'm a monarchist because monarchs are fancy
14%
I'm a monarchist because monarchies unite the people with an apolitical figure, a personification of the nation in a way
69%

Total votes : 147

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:03 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
What is corruption?

What about democracy prevents corruption?

The fact that democracy is controlled by the people helps to prevent one tyrannical monarch from completely fucking up the country.

how is this an example of corruption? How does democracy prevent ruinous government action?
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Seleucas
Minister

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seleucas » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:14 pm

I'm not a monarchist, but neither am I a democrat (small-D). I don't believe that government is based on consent, and voting is statistically a waste of time, so I'm unwilling to accept the notion that I am the government or the government represents me or shares my interests in a democracy. In either system, I would be subject to the iron law of oligarchy in one way or another, it would just be that one system uses mass organization more prominently to carry out its policies than the other.
Last edited by Seleucas on Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like an unscrupulous boyfriend, Obama lies about pulling out after fucking you.
-Tokyoni

The State never intentionally confronts a man's sense, intellectual or moral, but only his body, his senses. It is not armed with superior wit or honesty, but with superior physical strength. I was not born to be forced.
- Henry David Thoreau

Oh please. Those people should grow up. The South will NOT rise again.

The Union will instead, fall.
-Distruzio

Dealing with a banking crisis was difficult enough, but at least there were public-sector balance sheets on to which the problems could be moved. Once you move into sovereign debt, there is no answer; there’s no backstop.
-Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England

Right: 10.00
Libertarian: 9.9
Non-interventionist: 10
Cultural Liberal: 6.83

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:32 pm

The Cobalt Sky wrote:

I agree. Monarchism can be facism sometimes.

Why is it that any political situation one doesn't like is fascist? Do you even know what fascism is in reality?

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:34 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:
The Cobalt Sky wrote:I agree. Monarchism can be facism sometimes.

Why is it that any political situation one doesn't like is fascist? Do you even know what fascism is in reality?

Of course they don't, they didn't even know what "republicanism" was early in the thread. And they misspelt "fascism."
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:34 pm

Distruzio wrote:It is, aside from anarchy, the most moral form of government.

Is there any particular reason for your support of monarchism and not anarchy?

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Sebastianbourg wrote:Why is it that any political situation one doesn't like is fascist? Do you even know what fascism is in reality?

Of course they don't, they didn't even know what "republicanism" was early in the thread. And they misspelt "fascism."

Old Tyrannia, what's your view on this system I've recently discovered?

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Of course they don't, they didn't even know what "republicanism" was early in the thread. And they misspelt "fascism."

Old Tyrannia, what's your view on this system I've recently discovered?

I've often said that I consider the model of executive constitutional monarchy to be closer to the ideals of classical republicanism as "mixed government" than the modern democratic republic. That the best form of government is mixed government is a mantra that goes all the way back to ancient Greece. However, I object to the idea that the Florentine Republic was necessarily a superior form of government to the monarchy of Milan.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:52 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Sebastianbourg wrote:Old Tyrannia, what's your view on this system I've recently discovered?

I've often said that I consider the model of executive constitutional monarchy to be closer to the ideals of classical republicanism as "mixed government" than the modern democratic republic. That the best form of government is mixed government is a mantra that goes all the way back to ancient Greece. However, I object to the idea that the Florentine Republic was necessarily a superior form of government to the monarchy of Milan.

I found this ideal of mixed government/classical republicanism (civic humanism doesn't seem right to me) in the second edition of Sir Bernard Crick's translation of Machiavelli's Discourses and have followed it ever since. I agree with you on the question of whether the Florentine Republic's government was superior to Milan's.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:54 pm

For the same reason people like the idea of dictatorships.
They think it will be amazing and glorious because they buy into the propaganda from games and movies.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:08 pm

Genivaria wrote:For the same reason people like the idea of dictatorships.
They think it will be amazing and glorious because they buy into the propaganda from games and movies.

Or, y'know, we actually pay attention to history.
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:13 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:

Or, y'know, we actually pay attention to history.

You mean the parts where they lost?

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:16 pm

It's more because the arguments for changing to a republican system are weak and, frequently, offensive. Yes we are independent, thank you very much. You can take your paternalism and shove it.

The idea of monarchy probably arose because it provided some sort of stability with the passing of the previous top dog. Whether this was hereditary or in the sense that there was a development of the idea that the leader wasn't the leader because of who they were but rather they were part of a role that transcends people. It continues because many monarchies are highly adaptive and, to my mind, at least some of them are largely that way because they're monarchies. The apoliticism is good to.

Of course, when you're defending absolute monarchy you may as well go home. This is a good reason why only the irresponsible do this. But, in general, your characterisation is terrible. You should consider a role with the people who summarised the Constitutional Conversation's submissions.

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Sebastianbourg wrote:Why is it that any political situation one doesn't like is fascist? Do you even know what fascism is in reality?

Maybe they meant facism.

The Queen isa facist leader. Her tyrannical regime is based on the idea that people just can't bring themselves to throw darts at a picture of her face. She bred Princes Philip and Charles to take the darts for her pictures.

John Key is also a facist leader. His entire political career is based on his ability for people not to associate his face with corruption or other negative traits. This is why in his business life he was known as the smiling assassin. He also uses his face to stand in for policies.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:19 pm

Forsher wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Of course they don't, they didn't even know what "republicanism" was early in the thread. And they misspelt "fascism."

Maybe they meant facism.

The Queen isa facist leader. Her tyrannical regime is based on the idea that people just can't bring themselves to throw darts at a picture of her face. She bred Princes Philip and Charles to take the darts for her pictures.

John Key is also a facist leader. His entire political career is based on his ability for people not to associate his face with corruption or other negative traits. This is why in his business life he was known as the smiling assassin. He also uses his face to stand in for policies.

:rofl:

The Austrians and Slovenes
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Austrians and Slovenes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:53 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:I've often said that I consider the model of executive constitutional monarchy to be closer to the ideals of classical republicanism as "mixed government" than the modern democratic republic. That the best form of government is mixed government is a mantra that goes all the way back to ancient Greece. However, I object to the idea that the Florentine Republic was necessarily a superior form of government to the monarchy of Milan.

I found this ideal of mixed government/classical republicanism (civic humanism doesn't seem right to me) in the second edition of Sir Bernard Crick's translation of Machiavelli's Discourses and have followed it ever since. I agree with you on the question of whether the Florentine Republic's government was superior to Milan's.

I'll look into this system of classical republicanism you speak of.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:59 pm

Long live the republic, biotches.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:00 pm

The Austrians and Slovenes wrote:I've been a lurker on this forum for a while and somehow I've managed to resit the urge to register and post. I've noticed there's a large number of monarchists (along with people with other eccentric political opinions).

When one looks-up 'benefits of monarchy' on Google one will be surprised at how many websites seem to have articles dedicated to this relatively-obscure subject. They all tell us the same thing; monarchies unite the people with the personification of the nation (the monarch) which is independent of politics and may cost less than ceremonial presidencies while serving as permanent (or long-term) ambassadors of the country and its people. Generally, I tend to sympathise with monarchies just because of possibly-anachronistic sentimentalism (and not because of the reasons presented above) but I'd like to know what the monarchist members and denizens of NSG have to say on why they support the aforementioned system of government.

I know there is no thread ownership in the NSG but I wouldn't like this thread to simply criticize or praise monarchies blindly; I want to know why NSG's monarchist are in fact monarchists. The arguments for a republic are quite repetitive and obvious so unless you've got an argument for a republic which you think will be unknown to the majority I'd recommend you don't post.

I am a monarchist for a variety of reasons, its primary because I don't believe the executive should be subject to political sway, as republics do. I'm also non-egalitarian, I don't believe everyone is equal. Finally, monarchies are just cool
NSG's one and only Constitutional Executive Monarcho-Corporatist!
100% Pro-Women Pro-Babies Pro-Life!!!

The Austrians and Slovenes
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Austrians and Slovenes » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:01 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:Long live the republic, biotches.

God Save the Emperor/Tsar/King/Queen/Prince/Princess/Grand Duke/Grand Duchess.
Last edited by The Austrians and Slovenes on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:01 pm

Vazdaria wrote:
The Austrians and Slovenes wrote:I've been a lurker on this forum for a while and somehow I've managed to resit the urge to register and post. I've noticed there's a large number of monarchists (along with people with other eccentric political opinions).

When one looks-up 'benefits of monarchy' on Google one will be surprised at how many websites seem to have articles dedicated to this relatively-obscure subject. They all tell us the same thing; monarchies unite the people with the personification of the nation (the monarch) which is independent of politics and may cost less than ceremonial presidencies while serving as permanent (or long-term) ambassadors of the country and its people. Generally, I tend to sympathise with monarchies just because of possibly-anachronistic sentimentalism (and not because of the reasons presented above) but I'd like to know what the monarchist members and denizens of NSG have to say on why they support the aforementioned system of government.

I know there is no thread ownership in the NSG but I wouldn't like this thread to simply criticize or praise monarchies blindly; I want to know why NSG's monarchist are in fact monarchists. The arguments for a republic are quite repetitive and obvious so unless you've got an argument for a republic which you think will be unknown to the majority I'd recommend you don't post.

I am a monarchist for a variety of reasons, its primary because I don't believe the executive should be subject to political sway, as republics do. I'm also non-egalitarian, I don't believe everyone is equal. Finally, monarchies are just cool

It is a reality many refuse to recognise.

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:02 pm

TO THE STAKE!

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:02 pm

The Austrians and Slovenes wrote:

God Save the Emperor/Tsar//King/Queen/Prince/Princess/Grand Duke/Grand Duchess.

That's a lot of fancy titles that essentially amounts to "dictator."

Why don't you slap on some separation of powers and a constitution on that bad boy and then we can start talkin.'

Yes, I am back(ish)

Vazdaria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdaria » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:02 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:
Vazdaria wrote:I am a monarchist for a variety of reasons, its primary because I don't believe the executive should be subject to political sway, as republics do. I'm also non-egalitarian, I don't believe everyone is equal. Finally, monarchies are just cool

It is a reality many refuse to recognise.

Its an apparent reality. Everyone is unequal. LONG LIVE INEQUALITY!
Last edited by Vazdaria on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:03 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
The Austrians and Slovenes wrote:God Save the Emperor/Tsar//King/Queen/Prince/Princess/Grand Duke/Grand Duchess.

That's a lot of fancy titles that essentially amounts to "dictator."

Why don't you slap on some separation of powers and a constitution on that bad boy and then we can start talkin.'

Nah, no monarchist on this thread has declared himself/herself an absolute monarchist to my knowledge.

Postmaster-General

Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:04 pm

Vazdaria wrote:
Sebastianbourg wrote:It is a reality many refuse to recognise.

Its an apparent reality. Everyone is unequality. LONG LIVE INEQUALITY!

Equality is good if it's equality under the law. This way we can assure that no one minority (or majority) transpose their values onto society and the true merits of the individual can shine.

Yes, I am back(ish)

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:07 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:
Vazdaria wrote:Its an apparent reality. Everyone is unequality. LONG LIVE INEQUALITY!

Equality is good if it's equality under the law. This way we can assure that no one minority (or majority) transpose their values onto society and the true merits of the individual can shine.

You see, I agree with a certain type of equality in which everyone is entitled to receive a proper trial, the unemployed are given an allowance, everyone is educated by the state at no cost, etc. but I cannot accept the concept of all humans being equal in the sense that I accept (and prefer) monarchies.
Last edited by Sebastianbourg on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snowfall the Unicorn
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Snowfall the Unicorn » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Because why not monarchy?

In fact, why not Zoidberg?

(\/) (;,,,;) (\/)
Last edited by Snowfall the Unicorn on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General