NATION

PASSWORD

Ireland considers torture case against Britain

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chucky Arla
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Chucky Arla » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:02 am

Shove Piggy Shove wrote:
Manisdog wrote:
There is new evidence, this is not called justice but a miscarriage of justice

There has been no new information released that would cause the ECHR to change their original ruling that the five techniques were " inhuman and degrading treatment" and not torture.

You're a member of the ECHR?

Welcome your honour.

Manisdog
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:03 am

Shove Piggy Shove wrote:
Manisdog wrote:
There is new evidence, this is not called justice but a miscarriage of justice

There has been no new information released that would cause the ECHR to change their original ruling that the five techniques were " inhuman and degrading treatment" and not torture.

I am just going to copy paste the last part of the article

Human rights groups The Committee On The Administration Of Justice and the Pat Finucane Centre have both backed Amnesty International’s challenge to the Irish Government to seek the reopening of the case. “These recently discovered documents suggest that the British Government withheld vital medical, legal and policy documents from the European Court of Human Rights and the Irish Government in respect of the case taken to Europe by the Irish state alleging torture,” they said in a joint statement.
“We have requested that the Irish Government seeks a reopening of the case of Ireland v UK given the discovery of these facts which may lead to the European Court of Human Rights revising its judgment.”

Shove Piggy Shove
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shove Piggy Shove » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:08 am

Chucky Arla wrote:
Shove Piggy Shove wrote:

Welcome your honour.

As it stands, the only information that has been released to the public is a letter that shows that the policy was authorised by the Secretary for Defence, Peter Carrington.

I am happy to concede that there might be information which has not yet been released which would be sufficient to challenge the original ruling, although I think it unlikely, but my point still stands.

Manisdog wrote:
Shove Piggy Shove wrote:

I am just going to copy paste the last part of the article

Human rights groups The Committee On The Administration Of Justice and the Pat Finucane Centre have both backed Amnesty International’s challenge to the Irish Government to seek the reopening of the case. “These recently discovered documents suggest that the British Government withheld vital medical, legal and policy documents from the European Court of Human Rights and the Irish Government in respect of the case taken to Europe by the Irish state alleging torture,” they said in a joint statement.
“We have requested that the Irish Government seeks a reopening of the case of Ireland v UK given the discovery of these facts which may lead to the European Court of Human Rights revising its judgment.”

Which is a statement from The Committee On The Administration Of Justice and the Pat Finucane Centre, it is not actually new information in and of itself.
Last edited by Shove Piggy Shove on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Save the Creme Egg!

Tim Minchin wrote:I'm not pessimistic about the supernatural, but rather I'm optimistic about the natural
Jasper Fforde wrote:If the real world were a book, it would never find a publisher. Overlong, detailed to the point of distraction - and ultimately, without a major resolution.
Dennis the peasant wrote:Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Manisdog
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:17 am

Shove Piggy Shove wrote:
Chucky Arla wrote:

Welcome your honour.

As it stands, the only information that has been released to the public is a letter that shows that the policy was authorised by the Secretary for Defence, Peter Carrington.

I am happy to concede that there might be information which has not yet been released which would be sufficient to challenge the original ruling, although I think it unlikely, but my point still stands.

Manisdog wrote:I am just going to copy paste the last part of the article

Which is a statement from The Committee On The Administration Of Justice and the Pat Finucane Centre, it is not actually new information in and of itself.

THe statement states there is new evidence, let's reopen the god damm case and let's see where does Britain go on this one, if you claim that Britain has done nothing wrong, why are the British so afraid to reopen the case ?

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:21 am

Manisdog wrote:THe statement states there is new evidence, let's reopen the god damm case and let's see where does Britain go on this one, if you claim that Britain has done nothing wrong, why are the British so afraid to reopen the case ?

And yet the statement makes no disclosure of what the evidence is or what its provenance is.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Manisdog
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:24 am

Vassenor wrote:
Manisdog wrote:THe statement states there is new evidence, let's reopen the god damm case and let's see where does Britain go on this one, if you claim that Britain has done nothing wrong, why are the British so afraid to reopen the case ?

And yet the statement makes no disclosure of what the evidence is or what its provenance is.

Reopen the case and see where it goes..

Let it happen, I would believe AI on this, there has to be something to hide so the British, don't want this opened

Shove Piggy Shove
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shove Piggy Shove » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:24 am

Manisdog wrote:
Shove Piggy Shove wrote:

THe statement states there is new evidence, let's reopen the god damm case and let's see where does Britain go on this one, if you claim that Britain has done nothing wrong, why are the British so afraid to reopen the case ?

Where have I said that Britain has done nothing wrong, or indicated that I would be afraid to reopen the case?

Operation Demetrius and the policy of internment (and all they entailed) were appalling. They have long since been scrapped, and there is no indication that they (or something similar) are ever likely to be reintroduced.

With regards to re-opening the case:

Shove Piggy Shove wrote:I've yet to see any new information which would lead to the ECHR changing the initial ruling.

If there is any, then I'm all for it being made public and being taken before the court once more; but, given the nature of the original ruling, I have a hard time believing that the ruling would be changed unless there was evidence of additional torture techniques being used which were not originally taken into account.

Manisdog wrote:Reopen the case and see where it goes..

Let it happen, I would believe AI on this, there has to be something to hide so the British, don't want this opened

Would you also like to provide a source for the UK Government having stated that they do not want this to be reopened? Or perhaps you could furnish us with a reason why Amnesty International wouldn't just release the information if the Irish Government do not pursue this in the ECHR?
Last edited by Shove Piggy Shove on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Save the Creme Egg!

Tim Minchin wrote:I'm not pessimistic about the supernatural, but rather I'm optimistic about the natural
Jasper Fforde wrote:If the real world were a book, it would never find a publisher. Overlong, detailed to the point of distraction - and ultimately, without a major resolution.
Dennis the peasant wrote:Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:25 am

And if the ECHR decides the case isn't worth reopening?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Manisdog
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:27 am

Shove Piggy Shove wrote:
Manisdog wrote:
You might want to add rest of the colonies too, seriously the word angrez in hindi which means english can be used in an offensive manner, Britain does not really fair well in the justice department. I agree that Ireland was Britain's gravest casualty, the history of the occupation of Ireland depicts man's exploitation of man, and the sheer perverse ingenuity of mankind, when we studied european history, most of it was about Ireland.

Yes, and Paki can be used as an insult in English.

It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with being of that nationality, it means that the person using it in a derogatory fashion is a racist.

Calling an englishmen angrez is a normal think to do, but calling an Indian angrez is insulting, its the word for it, just wanted to show how it even effected language, don't reply to this, it would be wrong to continue this convo

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:33 am

Please get your facts correct before spouting hyperbole.
There is no burden on the British to reopen this case - it is down to the Irish government to request reopening the case handled by European Court of Human Rights. There is a request for the British to do their own, separate, independent enquiry.
This is in the source in the very first post.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Manisdog
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:07 am

Shove Piggy Shove wrote:
Manisdog wrote:

Where have I said that Britain has done nothing wrong, or indicated that I would be afraid to reopen the case?

Operation Demetrius and the policy of internment (and all they entailed) were appalling. They have long since been scrapped, and there is no indication that they (or something similar) are ever likely to be reintroduced.

Shove Piggy Shove wrote:I've yet to see any new information which would lead to the ECHR changing the initial ruling.

If there is any, then I'm all for it being made public and being taken before the court once more; but, given the nature of the original ruling, I have a hard time believing that the ruling would be changed unless there was evidence of additional torture techniques being used which were not originally taken into account.

Would you also like to provide a source for the UK Government having stated that they do not want this to be reopened? Or perhaps you could furnish us with a reason why Amnesty International wouldn't just release the information if the Irish Government do not pursue this in the ECHR?

I certainly would not know why AI would not realease the information, you need to ask them. the Irish government is looking into the matter according to the op, As of now there is no comment availible from the UK government but considering the cowards they are, they would just not want this to be reopened

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:08 am

Manisdog wrote:I certainly would not know why AI would not realease the information, you need to ask them. the Irish government is looking into the matter according to the op, As of now there is no comment availible from the UK government but considering the cowards they are, they would just not want this to be reopened

Please stop treating your inferences as fact without supporting evidence.
Last edited by Vassenor on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Manisdog
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:08 am

Hirota wrote:
Please get your facts correct before spouting hyperbole.
There is no burden on the British to reopen this case - it is down to the Irish government to request reopening the case handled by European Court of Human Rights. There is a request for the British to do their own, separate, independent enquiry.

If an respectable organization says there is evidence against a not so respectable organization known as the British government, that means we need to atleast give them an opportunity to hear them out, open the case

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:09 am

Manisdog wrote:If an respectable organization says there is evidence against a not so respectable organization known as the British government, that means we need to atleast give them an opportunity to hear them out, open the case

And once again, I ask. What if the ECHR decides it is not worth reopening?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Manisdog
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:10 am

Vassenor wrote:
Manisdog wrote:If an respectable organization says there is evidence against a not so respectable organization known as the British government, that means we need to atleast give them an opportunity to hear them out, open the case

We shall cross the bridge when we come to it, personally I would like them to pay for once.

Shove Piggy Shove
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shove Piggy Shove » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:11 am

Manisdog wrote:
Shove Piggy Shove wrote:

I certainly would not know why AI would not realease the information, you need to ask them. the Irish government is looking into the matter according to the op, As of now there is no comment availible from the UK government but considering the cowards they are, they would just not want this to be reopened

So your source for the UK Government not wanting to reopen the case is your own bigotry. Good to know.
Save the Creme Egg!

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:11 am

Manisdog wrote:
Hirota wrote:Please get your facts correct before spouting hyperbole.

If an respectable organization says there is evidence against a not so respectable organization known as the British government, that means we need to atleast give them an opportunity to hear them out, open the case

The respectable organisation being the Irish government? Respectable as in allowing and covering up mass gravings for slave labourers and mass child rape?

Anyway, no, you don't get special rights at the ECHR for being more or less "respectable", considering how "respect" is entirely subjective.

Manisdog
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:13 am

Shove Piggy Shove wrote:
Manisdog wrote:I certainly would not know why AI would not realease the information, you need to ask them. the Irish government is looking into the matter according to the op, As of now there is no comment availible from the UK government but considering the cowards they are, they would just not want this to be reopened

So your source for the UK Government not wanting to reopen the case is your own bigotry. Good to know.

There is no comment from the British Government, I would wait till they comment on this, unlikely considering we are talking about the British government

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:13 am

Manisdog wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

We shall cross the bridge when we come to it, personally I would like them to pay for once.

Are you suggesting an attack on Britain or on Strasbourg?

Also, Britain has already been found guilty of a breach of art.3 in the occasion by the appeal. So, case is rather closed.

Manisdog
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:14 am

Risottia wrote:

The respectable organisation being the Irish government? Respectable as in allowing and covering up mass gravings for slave labourers and mass child rape?

Anyway, no, you don't get special rights at the ECHR for being more or less "respectable", considering how "respect" is entirely subjective.

Give these people justice, why are you against reopening the case, are you scared something might just come out of the closet ?

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:15 am

Manisdog wrote:Give these people justice, why are you against reopening the case, are you scared something might just come out of the closet ?

So we've moved onto "you're either with us or with the terrorists" logic.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Manisdog
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:17 am

Vassenor wrote:
Manisdog wrote:Give these people justice, why are you against reopening the case, are you scared something might just come out of the closet ?

No I am continuing into the why are you so scared of reopening this case logic ?

Shove Piggy Shove
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Shove Piggy Shove » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:19 am

Manisdog wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

No I am continuing into the why are you so scared of reopening this case logic ?

Who exactly is scared of reopening the case?
Save the Creme Egg!

Chucky Arla
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Chucky Arla » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:19 am

Vassenor wrote:

Ironic given that's how a lot of people ended up in internment

Manisdog
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Manisdog » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:21 am

Shove Piggy Shove wrote:
Manisdog wrote:No I am continuing into the why are you so scared of reopening this case logic ?

Who exactly is scared of reopening the case?

Are my British friends on this forum scared that ugly things might come out of the closet and damage the already damaged reputation of Britain and the British empire in the eyes of world.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General