NATION

PASSWORD

Ferguson Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:24 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
There is not a single part of that post that was in any way constructive, insightful, or helpful, and I say that as someone utterly dismayed by the Grand Jury's decision.

The police created this problem, every step of the way they have upped the ante of violence. They rent this riot to happen. They want the cover so nobody challenges them. They want the opportunity to kill with impunity. They do this every chance they get. Had they not been excessively violent leading up to this, had they not tried to excuse the murder, had they not lied and obstructed and failed to do their jobs, this would not have happened. They deserve every bad thing coming to them.If they don't like it they should quit being the hired muscle for our racist capitalist power structure.

Saying that the police created this problem completely ignores structural issues. By lumping all officers together as murderers and defenders of murderers, you create an atmosphere in which said issues cannot be constructively addressed. Go ahead and rant mindlessly like some Che t-shirt wearing stereotype. The rest of us will actually be trying to figure out ways to address this issue with an eye towards real solutions, not with shock slogans and tantrums.

Anglo-California
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Anglo-California » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Inyourfaceistan wrote:
The (modern) KKK is just as bad as the New Black Panthers.
They are both racist thugs, and both out to incite hate for their own gain.

(Although I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the leaders of the KKK and the NBP were like best buds who just hang out on a yacht and discuss ways to get their respective ignorant followers to incite more hate)

Wouldn't it be great if the NBP and the KKK took eachother out?

That might actually happen in these riots...
American nationalist. Secular Traditionalist.
On the American Revolution.

3rd Place for Sexiest Male under 18.
Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce

Harpers Ferry
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Harpers Ferry » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Vjaarland wrote:
Hornesia wrote:I don't know, my uncle in the area described Ferguson as a shithole.

It's far from the best town in the County (I give that award to Ladue or Des Peres), or even North County, but it's certainly no shithole.

Brentwood isn't bad either. And Ferguson before all this wasn't terrible either. Shame at what it's become now....
Kingdom of Viana wrote:I don't need specific evidence to prove something that is obviously true.
NSG's Bloody Sunday, a date which shall live in infamy.

The Doors

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Margno wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:I've just a slight question to all the posters: who here exactly is better informed than the jurors who decided ignoramus on this case?

Shouldn't we defer to those better informed when it comes to criticism?

No, we shouldn't defer to what the state tells us.

The state is, in this case, just the messenger.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Harpers Ferry wrote:
NERVUN wrote:*** Warned for flaming ***.

Understood. And what of his statement? That is not inflammatory at all?

Under discussion.

I'm also the only Mod on duty right now so...
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:
again we disagree, the public bureaucrat in me says he was covering himself from all sides. he has to proctect himself from brown's as well as wilson's supporters

No, he doesn't. His only obligation, if he believes that there is evidence that a crime has been committed, is to present said evidence to a grand jury. If political considerations regarding the supporters of the defendant enter into the equation, then he is not doing his job thoroughly and ethically, especially if such considerations cause him to act in a manner that is significantly favorable to the defense. If he can't do that, then he needs to find a different line of work.

how do you know he acted significantly favorable to the defense? the defendent always has the right to testify before the grand jury, they just never do as what they say can be held against them during the trial.

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 20, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Ralkovian Grand Island wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
Going back to being the Protectors of the White Race just like in the good old days?

Hey, how ironic will it be if the Ferguson riot actually bolsters the KKK's numbers?

Man that'd be fun. I've always wanted to wear white pointy hats.

I hate to sound like the tinfoil hat guy, but I swear the KKK and New Black Panthers (leadership) are secretly allies who use each other to enforce racial stereotypes and incite hatred.

It's not French,it's not Spanish,it's Inyurstan
"Inyourfaceistan" refers to my player/user name, "Inyursta" is my IC name. NOT INYURSTAN. IF YOU CALL INYURSTA "INYURSTAN" THEN IT SHOWS THAT YOU CANT READ. Just refer to me as IYF or Stan.

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:The Klan isn't some noble group of concerned citizens swooping in to save the day. They're racist fucks who just want to fan the flames.

Yes, but they're also unaccountable and therefore free to unleash violence. And violence solves all problems.

I haven't seen you in these parts, Ralk. Welcome back. :)

To go down this avenue, death also solves all sorts of problems; the only catch is that, the problem being solved, fewer than both parties are satisfied with the result. Mutual satisfaction is the goal of all efforts in solving of problems.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Gameside factbooks not canon
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
>>>Member of Septentrion, Atlas, Alithea, Tyran<<<
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Man, the Toys R Us is just a free-for-all. I feel bad for whoever that franchise owner is; he's going broke.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

Harpers Ferry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Harpers Ferry » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:
Indeed. I might make a call in 5 minutes, just to see if everything is okay.

I think we're gonna call my brother-in-law in St. Louis and check on things there. Also in Rolla, as my husband's grandma lives there.

If they live around Fenton, Valley Park or Eureka, I can confirm that it is pretty quiet around these parts at least.
Kingdom of Viana wrote:I don't need specific evidence to prove something that is obviously true.

The Doors

Vjaarland
Envoy

Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Vjaarland » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Margno wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:I've just a slight question to all the posters: who here exactly is better informed than the jurors who decided ignoramus on this case?

Shouldn't we defer to those better informed when it comes to criticism?

No, we shouldn't defer to what the state tells us.

Or, you know, we could actually take a look at the evidence ourselves and make an informed judgement.
[16:08] <Arkiasis> What's Vjaarland doing tonight? The same thing he does every night. Try and take over the world!

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Margno wrote:You're gonna side with the fucking KKK? Look at yourself.

I did. I'm handsome. Thanks.

An Israel-supporting KKK fanboy. The ultimate expression of doublethink.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Harpers Ferry wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I think we're gonna call my brother-in-law in St. Louis and check on things there. Also in Rolla, as my husband's grandma lives there.

If they live around Fenton, Valley Park or Eureka, I can confirm that it is pretty quiet around these parts at least.

Any news on High Ridge?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:26 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Harpers Ferry wrote:Understood. And what of his statement? That is not inflammatory at all?

Under discussion.

if only you could deputize some people.

Skappola
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skappola » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Fox is streaming from the street: http://fox2now.com/on-air/live-streaming-2/
Last edited by Skappola on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Political Compass: Economic: 1.63 Social: -6.72
Political Ideology: Neoliberal Civil Libertarian
I Enjoy: Blues, Paradox Games and Sci-fi

Asyir
Minister

Founded: Oct 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Asyir » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Hopefully these riots dissipate soon. Before it gets worse.
Team Pelinal for life!

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Indeed. I might make a call in 5 minutes, just to see if everything is okay.

I'm concerned for Carrie. She hasn't responded my texts so, you can understand my concern.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Kalifati Arab shqiptar
Minister

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalifati Arab shqiptar » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Themiclesia wrote:
Yes, but they're also unaccountable and therefore free to unleash violence. And violence solves all problems.

To go down this avenue, death also solves all sorts of problems; the only catch is that, the problem being solved, fewer than both parties are satisfied with the result. Mutual satisfaction is the goal of all efforts in solving of problems.

Quoting Stalin too much?

Harpers Ferry
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Harpers Ferry » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Harpers Ferry wrote:If they live around Fenton, Valley Park or Eureka, I can confirm that it is pretty quiet around these parts at least.

Any news on High Ridge?

High Ridge is all quiet too, as far as I can tell.

The Doors

Ralkovian Grand Island
Minister

Founded: Dec 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ralkovian Grand Island » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Themiclesia wrote:

I mean if we both want the same bucket of ice cream and I kill you, I get the bucket of ice cream.

So violence solves all problems.

I mean I can't think of a situation where violence isn't the answer.
Lyras:You know, you're a sick fuck, yes?
Ralk: I have stacks on stacks and racks on racks of slaves.
BlueHorizons: It sounds like you're doing a commercial for the most morbid children's board game ever, Ralk.

Estainia: The countless genocides...So many countless genocides.

Old Tyrannia wrote:You've never met Ralk before, have you? Ralk doesn't have friends.
He only respects the strong, and preys on the weak.
He might act polite and smile all the time, but always remember...
The day will come when you'll wake up to find him looming over your bed,
knife in hand, and he'll still be smiling.

Constaniana wrote:Ralk is evil incarnate, shouldn't you know this by now?

Seriong wrote:Ralk isn't a troll, he's just despicable.

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:26 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Harpers Ferry wrote:Understood. And what of his statement? That is not inflammatory at all?

Under discussion.

Might as well call in reinforcements then.

Anyways, I'm here, and goddamn, this is crazy. I think I'm gonna have some fun as long as I don't get shot.
So you decide to open it anyway? What the heck, man?

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
No, he doesn't. His only obligation, if he believes that there is evidence that a crime has been committed, is to present said evidence to a grand jury. If political considerations regarding the supporters of the defendant enter into the equation, then he is not doing his job thoroughly and ethically, especially if such considerations cause him to act in a manner that is significantly favorable to the defense. If he can't do that, then he needs to find a different line of work.

how do you know he acted significantly favorable to the defense? the defendent always has the right to testify before the grand jury, they just never do as what they say can be held against them during the trial.

Because he presented evidence that could be interpreted as favorable to the defense to the jury, which he was under no obligation to do, and in fact is almost unheard of in prosecutorial circles.

Vjaarland
Envoy

Founded: May 19, 2013

Postby Vjaarland » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Harpers Ferry wrote:
Vjaarland wrote:
It's far from the best town in the County (I give that award to Ladue or Des Peres), or even North County, but it's certainly no shithole.

Brentwood isn't bad either. And Ferguson before all this wasn't terrible either. Shame at what it's become now....

It really is a shame. I would never have expected Ferguson to be the center of this. South City or East St. Louis, yes. But Ferguson is really shocking.
[16:08] <Arkiasis> What's Vjaarland doing tonight? The same thing he does every night. Try and take over the world!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I'm concerned for Carrie. She hasn't responded my texts so, you can understand my concern.

Is she anywhere near the Oakland riots, that you know?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 20, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:27 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Inyourfaceistan wrote:
The (modern) KKK is just as bad as the New Black Panthers.
They are both racist thugs, and both out to incite hate for their own gain.

(Although I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out the leaders of the KKK and the NBP were like best buds who just hang out on a yacht and discuss ways to get their respective ignorant followers to incite more hate)

Wouldn't it be great if the NBP and the KKK took eachother out?

It would.

Unfortunately, they will likely just send their cannon fodder pawns into the action, then use it to get more members to prove that all whites/blacks are like the KKK/NBP and give their leaders more money...

It's not French,it's not Spanish,it's Inyurstan
"Inyourfaceistan" refers to my player/user name, "Inyursta" is my IC name. NOT INYURSTAN. IF YOU CALL INYURSTA "INYURSTAN" THEN IT SHOWS THAT YOU CANT READ. Just refer to me as IYF or Stan.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General