NATION

PASSWORD

White People and History

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:23 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:The white 'race' has dominated history, according to some.

History is Western focused as a whole, not "white race dominated". There's a difference. The first means that, from a historiographic perspective, education focuses on the West (not whites), which is true (disproportionate amount of material on Europe and North America). Second means that a specific ethnicity has been dominating the world throughout history (not true).

Is this view ahistorical, whatever its (In my opinion, complete lack of) scientific merit?

No, the largest empire in terms of world population percentile was Persian, whilst largest empire in terms of land area was British (very) closely followed by the Mongolians.

Whatever one's opinion on race, is it true that the cultural construct we generally recognize as the white race has dominated world events, striving forward where other races merely followed?

No. It has to do with the development of modern history. The colonial era was insanely Western dominated (Romans had the Carthaginians, Mongols had the Chinese, Ottomans had the Spanish, etc); there was almost no one to challenge them from 1700(isn) on save for the fledgling Turks, and even that merits more of a pity pat on the head than anything else. Therefore traces of Western society are found all around the world, and by extension history tends to focus on the West. The fact that there was a disproportionate amount of record keeping, writing of books, and journals that can be used as sources for books and histories helps.

Is it true that certain races have gotten the short end of the historical stick, so to speak, or is it simply that the bias of some leads them to apply current circumstances to history?

It's simply misunderstanding of history by those that erroneously believe that the West has dominated history, there are only the most recent and most international sans the Chinese and the Mongols.

In case my tone didn't make it apparent, I'm not a fan of the idea. I think it's morally unsound and has no basis in history; not even in European history.

I wouldn't call it morally unsound unless people claim it's racial-based (which is then racism), rather just a (large) lack of knowledge.
Last edited by The Ben Boys on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

NeoColumbia
Attaché

Founded: Jun 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby NeoColumbia » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:27 pm

Wrote a long response but for some reason it did connect.

TL;DR Version.

Marvopen,

Yes it's probably a theme because you have an autistic persistance with posting walls of texts from idiot academics who grew up in nice all white neighborhoodsand then try to tell anyone who beleives in the reality of race that their evil and wrong by setting out with the premise beforehand that race doesn't exist (obviously you care enough to put it in your signature).

Conformation Bias as you pointed out.

Maybe people who beleive race exist actually have other things to do than discuss it for an hour when their original post wasn't about argueing the existance of race(shocking i know) but if you want to chock it up as great intellectual Victory be my guest. It has nothing to do with ebarassment i don't care enough about what you think to possibly be embarrassed (Someone who has a fixation on Anime, Ponies and Nationstates forums apparently) yeah blah blah ad hominem whatever.

Now go along and spend more time talking about how im just so embarressed that you disproved my views by reposting useless wall of text over and over.

P.S. White Power 1488
Pro:Fascism,Noble Liberty, Family,Nationalism,Virtue,Honor,Racism,Self Reliance,Social Accountability,Rightous/Competitive Violence,Healthy Sex life
Anti:Semites,Capitalism,Communism,Anarchism,Tolerance for degeneracy,Nannystates,LGBTQH(wxyz),"Nuerodiversity",Race Traitors,Slutdom,learn my prounouns,special little snowflakes, Nationstates(the forum)

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:30 pm

NeoColumbia wrote:Wrote a long response but for some reason it did connect.

Suuure.
NeoColumbia wrote:TL;DR Version.
Marvopen,

Yes it's probably a theme because you have an autistic persistance with posting walls of texts from idiot academics who grew up in nice all white neighborhoodsand then try to tell anyone who beleives in the reality of race that their evil and wrong by setting with the premise beforehand that race doesn't exist (obviously you care enough to put it in your signature).

Conformation Bias as you pointed out.

Maybe people who beleive race exist actually have other things to do than discuss it for an hour when their original post wasn't about argueing the existance of race(shocking i know) but if you want to chock it up as great intellectual Victory be my guest. It has nothing to do with ebarassment i don't care enough about what you think to possibly be embarrassed (Someone who has a fixation on Anime, Ponies and Nationstates forums apparently) yeah blah blah ad hominem whatever.

Now go along and spend more time talking about how im just so embarressed that you disproved my views by reposting useless wall of text over and over.

P.S. White Power 1488

So basically, "waaaaaahhhhh! How dare you use facts!?!?!"
Last edited by Mavorpen on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

NeoColumbia
Attaché

Founded: Jun 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby NeoColumbia » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:33 pm

"Facts"?

Thats a funny way to spell Bullshit.
Pro:Fascism,Noble Liberty, Family,Nationalism,Virtue,Honor,Racism,Self Reliance,Social Accountability,Rightous/Competitive Violence,Healthy Sex life
Anti:Semites,Capitalism,Communism,Anarchism,Tolerance for degeneracy,Nannystates,LGBTQH(wxyz),"Nuerodiversity",Race Traitors,Slutdom,learn my prounouns,special little snowflakes, Nationstates(the forum)

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:36 pm

NeoColumbia wrote:"Facts"?

And that's funny coming from you.

Mr.I-Don't-remember-my-phrenology-definition.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:36 pm

NeoColumbia wrote:"Facts"?

I wouldn't lecture someone on spelling, considering your horrendous track record on just that.

Either way though, I don't understand why you're still here, kid. You clearly don't have any evidence, and you clearly don't know how to debate nor do you have any real knowledge on this topic. If you're here to circle jerk, you're in the wrong forum.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Land and Freedom
Envoy

Founded: Aug 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Land and Freedom » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:43 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Shiie wrote:Only great men have dominated history.

On the risk of going off-topic... cultural forces have forced history along just as often as great men. It's not an either/or - great men create cultures, cultures create great men, and every great man in history has worked through the lens of his culture, even if he seeks to change it.

Genghis Khan did not conquer half the world, his soldiers, a loose confederation of hundreds of tribes did it collectively. Neither did the Pharaohs build the pyramids. Architects laid out the plans, and workers built them, collectively. When the workers famously went on strike the future of the pyramids fell into jeopardy. These enterprises did have chief visionaries, individuals that through cunning and charisma did move history in different ways. But let us not forget the progress of society is a collective effort, an effort of all different kinds of people the whole world over.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:39 am

Land and Freedom wrote:Genghis Khan did not conquer half the world, his soldiers, a loose confederation of hundreds of tribes did it collectively. Neither did the Pharaohs build the pyramids. Architects laid out the plans, and workers built them, collectively. When the workers famously went on strike the future of the pyramids fell into jeopardy. These enterprises did have chief visionaries, individuals that through cunning and charisma did move history in different ways. But let us not forget the progress of society is a collective effort, an effort of all different kinds of people the whole world over.

I would not go so far to call these people different. Sure they came from different times and different cultures, races and genders. But ultimately a working man is a working man. The Mongol soldiers raping their way through Eurasia were just as equally members of the proletariat as were the pyramid builders of Egypt. It's just that their line of work was different.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:42 am

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Occidentria wrote:There are no girls adults on the internet.
Upon joining I made the dumb, dumb mistake of presuming NS would be principally comprised of college students-to-thirtysomethings, like pre-popularized Reddit.

I sorta made the same mistake too.

I thought this would be a more mature space.

I was very, VERY wrong, but now I can't leave God damnit.

It used to be.
Mallorea and Riva should resign
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

The Batorys
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:45 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Papait wrote:Well, Europeans, and other whites may have certainly shaped the world as it is today.
Languages and cultures have been shaped by the actions of the white man.
The majority of the people in the world are either Christian or Muslim.
The whole way of life in Africa and the Americas has been shaped by the colonialism of Europe
Some in a positive way, like Mexico, some in a bad way like Africa, and some in a way we can not really decide weather or not it is good or bad like the United States.
But truth is, overhunting by whites, or by other races using technology they got from the Caucasian People.
But while the majority of History may be shaped by the whites;
Islam, Christianity, the Roman empire, imperialism, the Persians, the Crusades
but others like the Mongols and the Chinese have also played a huge part,
in fact, nearly everybody played their part in history.
But truth is, that the whites may have had a bigger part in history how we know it today

Romans were not universally white, most people who care about race count Arabs or Persians as whites (Not that people who care about race are of any concern, really).

Most of the influence of the white people is recent. They were a minor little backwater in a far corner of the world.

Pretty much this.

In terms of the scale of human history, Europe has been significant for only a very small percentage of the time.
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:45 am

The Batorys wrote:

It used to be.

Really? When?
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:57 am

The Batorys wrote:

It used to be.

Not since I've been here, and judging by your join date, it looks as if you joined just after me (you may have had previous nations, of course). I think you're looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses; NationStates has always had its fair share of edgy teens.
Mavorpen wrote:
Avenio wrote:
Phrenology? Jesus Christ. What's next, are you going to tell us you can cure cancer with some magic quartz crystals and incense?

No no, that's after bringing someone's dead mother back to life using the Philosopher's Stone.

*Insert Fullmetal Alchemist reference here*
NeoColumbia wrote:Wrote a long response but for some reason it did connect.

TL;DR Version.

Marvopen,

Yes it's probably a theme because you have an autistic persistance with posting walls of texts from idiot academics who grew up in nice all white neighborhoodsand then try to tell anyone who beleives in the reality of race that their evil and wrong by setting out with the premise beforehand that race doesn't exist (obviously you care enough to put it in your signature).

What is this, International Offending Autistic People Week?
Last edited by Old Tyrannia on Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Land and Freedom
Envoy

Founded: Aug 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Land and Freedom » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:59 am

Purpelia wrote:
Land and Freedom wrote:Genghis Khan did not conquer half the world, his soldiers, a loose confederation of hundreds of tribes did it collectively. Neither did the Pharaohs build the pyramids. Architects laid out the plans, and workers built them, collectively. When the workers famously went on strike the future of the pyramids fell into jeopardy. These enterprises did have chief visionaries, individuals that through cunning and charisma did move history in different ways. But let us not forget the progress of society is a collective effort, an effort of all different kinds of people the whole world over.

I would not go so far to call these people different. Sure they came from different times and different cultures, races and genders. But ultimately a working man is a working man. The Mongol soldiers raping their way through Eurasia were just as equally members of the proletariat as were the pyramid builders of Egypt. It's just that their line of work was different.

Very true.

The New Lowlands
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Lowlands » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:59 am

While not directly relevant, this comes to mind.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:00 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:What is this, International Offending Autistic People Week?

This is one thing I newer understood about the PC crowd. How is comparing someone to a disabled person in order to insult that someone insulting to the disabled person he is being compared to? The disabled person is clearly disabled, so pointing that out is not insulting. And it's not like he or she has a choice in being that way. So again, not insulting. Not unless pointing out the obvious is suddenly a bad thing. Where as the person being compared to is basically being told: "See that disabled person? Well he can't chose he is that way. But what's your excuse?" The only person that should feel insulted is the original person and not the disabled one.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:10 am

Purpelia wrote:

This is one thing I newer understood about the PC crowd. How is comparing someone to a disabled person in order to insult that someone insulting to the disabled person he is being compared to? The disabled person is clearly disabled, so pointing that out is not insulting. And it's not like he or she has a choice in being that way. So again, not insulting. Not unless pointing out the obvious is suddenly a bad thing. Where as the person being compared to is basically being told: "See that disabled person? Well he can't chose he is that way. But what's your excuse?" The only person that should feel insulted is the original person and not the disabled one.

Well, first of all, many people with high-functioning ASDs do not consider themselves "disabled," myself for one. Second of all, using a medical/psychiatric term as a pejorative has the effect of stigmatising the people who are actually affected by that condition. It's rather like asking how using "gay" as an insult is offensive to homosexuals; it reinforces the idea that we are inferior, and that there is something wrong with us, hence many of us don't like it. It's not even about being politically correct; I for one consider political correctness to be bullshit. It's a matter of not being an insensitive arsehole.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:25 am

Purpelia wrote:

This is one thing I newer understood about the PC crowd. How is comparing someone to a disabled person in order to insult that someone insulting to the disabled person he is being compared to? The disabled person is clearly disabled, so pointing that out is not insulting.

Yeah, I mean, it's clear that you've taken a few too many blows to the head, but what's wrong with pointing it out?

Quintium
Negotiator

Founded: May 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Quintium » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:17 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Whatever one's opinion on race, is it true that the cultural construct we generally recognize as the white race has dominated world events, striving forward where other races merely followed?

In many cases, it is, although due to geographical isolation there have been many non-white civilizations that developed similar ideas (writing, astronomy, agriculture, domestication of animals, horseback riding, fortifications) independently. What I would say, though, is that the root of the civilizations that have traditionally controlled the world in terms of inventions, trade and cultural and military power lay in the migration out of Africa. From that one migration came, with time, the civilizations of Europe, Asia Minor, most of the Indian subcontinent, South-East Asia, East Asia, North America and South America. On the other hand, groups that remained in Africa or migrated independently (such as certain groups in the south-west of India and in Oceania and Australia) did not typically build such civilizations.

Conserative Morality wrote:Is it true that certain races have gotten the short end of the historical stick, so to speak, or is it simply that the bias of some leads them to apply current circumstances to history?

In terms of technology, culture and trade, there are tribes even today that haven't developed a system of writing and work with wooden, bone or stone tools. And I don't think it is unfair to say that, if man's ultimate purpose in life is to explore his rationality and develop what separates him from the animals, there are certain groups of people who have typically been more advanced and other groups of people who have typically been less advanced. Think of the contrasts between Rome and the Germanic invaders that ended it, or the contrasts between the settled and technologically-advanced Chinese and the nomadic Mongolians of their day. Or think of the contrasts between Spanish, Portuguese and British settlers and the Native Americans or Africans they encountered.

Here's the reasoning that I follow.

If groups of people have had to fight and compete with other groups of people for resources and the ability to live and reproduce in certain areas, and man's distinguishing characteristic as a species is the ability to think and to create complicated tools, then certain groups of people can be considered superior to others for making the best use of man's comparative advantage over animals by developing the tools and social connections that made them able to secure more land and resources for their own reproduction than other groups of people.
I'm a melancholic, bipedal, 1/128th Native Batavian polyhistor. My preferred pronouns are "his majesty"/"his majesty".

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:23 pm

Quintium wrote:In many cases, it is, although due to geographical isolation there have been many non-white civilizations that developed similar ideas (writing, astronomy, agriculture, domestication of animals, horseback riding, fortifications) independently. What I would say, though, is that the root of the civilizations that have traditionally controlled the world in terms of inventions, trade and cultural and military power lay in the migration out of Africa. From that one migration came, with time, the civilizations of Europe, Asia Minor, most of the Indian subcontinent, South-East Asia, East Asia, North America and South America. On the other hand, groups that remained in Africa or migrated independently (such as certain groups in the south-west of India and in Oceania and Australia) did not typically build such civilizations.

What.

I think you need to do a little research into the history of Ancient Africa.

In terms of technology, culture and trade, there are tribes even today that haven't developed a system of writing and work with wooden, bone or stone tools. And I don't think it is unfair to say that, if man's ultimate purpose in life is to explore his rationality and develop what separates him from the animals, there are certain groups of people who have typically been more advanced and other groups of people who have typically been less advanced. Think of the contrasts between Rome and the Germanic invaders that ended it, or the contrasts between the settled and technologically-advanced Chinese and the nomadic Mongolians of their day. Or think of the contrasts between Spanish, Portuguese and British settlers and the Native Americans or Africans they encountered.

Here's the reasoning that I follow.

If groups of people have had to fight and compete with other groups of people for resources and the ability to live and reproduce in certain areas, and man's distinguishing characteristic as a species is the ability to think and to create complicated tools, then certain groups of people can be considered superior to others for making the best use of man's comparative advantage over animals by developing the tools and social connections that made them able to secure more land and resources for their own reproduction than other groups of people.

Certainly then the 'settled and technologically advanced' Chinese were less able to secure more land and resources for their own reproductions than the Mongols? What about the vastly more meritocratic standards of the steppes, or the inventive siege techniques and weapons they employed? Did the practice of setting orders to verse in order to maintain communication even with a largely illiterate army make them more advanced or less than the Chinese? What about the creation of a universal script to write all languages the Mongols encountered in?

There's a problem with viewing all progress as connected.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:32 pm

Quintium wrote:Think of the contrasts between Rome and the Germanic invaders that ended it, or the contrasts between the settled and technologically-advanced Chinese and the nomadic Mongolians of their day.

The Mongols were not dumb barbarians piggybacking on Chinese discoveries. They were every bit as technologically and organizationally inclined as the settled societies they conquered. Take, for example, the yam - a network of outposts and messengers that allowed important information to travel across the Mongols' territories at incredible speeds.

Besides which, the fact that Mongol armies routinely annihilated forces from your 'civilized' states that outnumbered them many times over should put the idea that they were anything other than the equals of the settled states they went to war against.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:35 pm

Lets see
Black people discovered Europe
Black people discovered Asia
Black people discovered Australia
Black people discovered the Pacific

Black people invented Agriculture
Black people Invented Fire-making
Black people invented Culture
Black people invented Technology
Black people invented Religion
Black people invented Science
Black people invented Navigation
Black people invented Boats
Black people invented Music
Black people invented Construction
Black people invented Cities

From Africa to India, North to Europe, through Asia to Australia and across to America, Black People dominate the World and
Whatever one's opinion on race, is it true that the cultural construct we generally recognize as Black people have dominated world events right back to the beginning of humanity, striving forward so that all other races have merely followed as offshoots and inheritors of their achievements

Papait
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Papait » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:45 pm

The Batorys wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Romans were not universally white, most people who care about race count Arabs or Persians as whites (Not that people who care about race are of any concern, really).

Most of the influence of the white people is recent. They were a minor little backwater in a far corner of the world.

Pretty much this.

In terms of the scale of human history, Europe has been significant for only a very small percentage of the time.

yes but this is about 'white people' not just europeans.
And though they have been significant for a short time, they have shaped the modern world.
Imperialism, Christianity, Islam, transporting people across continents and either wiping out animals, or giving natives the technology to do so
Positive: EU, Catalan Independence, Scottish Independence, Brabant Autonomy, Hezbollah, Fatah, Iran, Lebanon, LGB-Rights, Religion, Secularism, Kemalism, Facism
Neutral: The rights of T's, UN, Hamas, Capitalism, Socialism, Assad
Negative: USA, Israel, India, Saudi Arabia, Abortion, Theocracy, Tenchnocracy, Nazism, Racism, IS

Embassy: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=294523

The Matthew Islands
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Matthew Islands » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:51 pm

I don't know if this is has been covered (and in no way is my view, I find this kind of topic way above my intelligence) but:

Could it perhaps be that, arguably, for lack of a better phrase 'white culture' has maybe had a big impact on the world?

Also, sure there have been African and Asian Empires, but I don't think the effects of those Empires have had the global impact that the white European empires (again for lack of a better word) have had.

Apologies if this has already been addressed, this is clearly not my area of expertise.
Souseiseki wrote:as a posting career in the UK Poltics Thread becomes longer, the probability of literally becoming souseiseki approaches 1

Nervium
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nervium » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:19 pm

The Matthew Islands wrote:I don't know if this is has been covered (and in no way is my view, I find this kind of topic way above my intelligence) but:

Could it perhaps be that, arguably, for lack of a better phrase 'white culture' has maybe had a big impact on the world?

Also, sure there have been African and Asian Empires, but I don't think the effects of those Empires have had the global impact that the white European empires (again for lack of a better word) have had.

Apologies if this has already been addressed, this is clearly not my area of expertise.

"White culture" does not compute.
I've retired from the forums.

The Batorys
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:20 pm

Old Tyrannia wrote:
The Batorys wrote:It used to be.

Not since I've been here, and judging by your join date, it looks as if you joined just after me (you may have had previous nations, of course). I think you're looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses; NationStates has always had its fair share of edgy teens.

See my signature.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General