NATION

PASSWORD

Is an Invasion of Mainland US feasible

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Is an Invasion of Mainland US feasible

Postby Gig em Aggies » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:03 am

From books and comics to fan fiction and Hollywood foreign armies and terror groups are shown invading the mainland United States for a short or long period of time. But despite the writers pen or the directors voice how so is an invasion of the United States. Example from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 the Newly radicalized russian government invades the United States for what they call an act of terrorism by a CIA operative during a massacre at a major airport. Other examples include Red Dawn, Olympus has Fallen, Homefront video game, Star Trek: Enterprise, fall of liberty video game, etc. areas of discussion amongst scholars, leaders and the average joe range from the economics of an invasion to the politics and will power of an invasion so do you as a reader or whoever you are is an invasion possible?

*exclude situations such as terror acts like 9/11 and other attacks should not be considered as they are only a single attack and not an invasion per se, Gangs, floods of illegal immigrants, and cartels, lone acts of terror such as the Boston Bombing or lone wolf terrorists are not considered.

Editors remark: In such things as video games and Hollywood productions I feel that invasion of the mainland United States makes for great entertainment as I grow tired of invading Europe or the Middle East or Africa all which have been done many times to much. But in reality an invasion of the mainland United States is unlikely for everyone except for 2 nations like China and Russia as its former Soviet identity. But even these two nations will have difficulty doing the job as such China and Russia don't have the will to do it and they would suffer politically and economically if they did. But it's 99% unlikely the U.S. will see a legitimate invasion by a foreign power anytime soon.
Last edited by Gig em Aggies on Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Allet Klar Chefs
Minister

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Allet Klar Chefs » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:04 am

no.

Davinhia
Minister

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Davinhia » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:05 am

This isn't infinity ward's call of duty
Year: 2013
- President: x (PP)
- Vice President: x (PP)
- House Majority Leader: x (IKP)
- Senate Majority Leader: x (PP)
Capital City: Grove Street
RP Population: 45 Million
RP Military Population: 37 Thousand
5, peacetime

Bulgar Rouge
Minister

Founded: Dec 08, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bulgar Rouge » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:06 am

A full-scale invasion would be very unlikely and nearly impossible to carry out - it would require colossal amounts of weapons, supplies, ships, aircraft and manpower to merely advance into the US. Holding those territories is out of the question, unless you're China.

A much more feasible strategy would be to break up the US by shattering its economy and federal government and then invade chunks of it to make sure no large government arises again.

This nation does not reflect my RL views.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:I'm only saying that, well, even commies have reached the level of selling counterfeit and drugs in their storefronts, we can't be any less.

The Holy Therns wrote:Politicians make statements. It's their substitute for achievement.

Guadalupador
Senator

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Guadalupador » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:07 am

At this day in age, it's very implausible. The logistics just to field such an invasion would be too much for almost any modern military, plus, the US would probably see the invasion forces coming from a million miles away. Of course, that's if it was seaborne.
Guadalupadorian Embassy Program
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
OOC: Call me Dorian, Dor or Guad.

Servinta
Minister

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Servinta » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:11 am

feasible but not likely.

The invasion of the united states would either have to be two options,

Option one is that a small invasion force (special forces or even a Divisions worth) takes over an important town or city and would hold it hostage in some way (AoT the 40th day or maybe Olympus has fallen style) making it impossible for the united states to use its considerable military power to take out this small invasion force because of either the threat of more devastation should they react or the threat of the loss of key personal or infrastructure.

Other option is the full on invasion idea, which isn't as impossible as you would think.But that's only if they make it to the shores undetected or manage to sabotage said early warning radars first.

Sanctus saxa
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctus saxa » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:11 am

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Not unless you nuke everything first. The US is, quite simply, too big - it would be a costly enterprise to take on in both man and equipment, and when you consider that strategic bases are scattered from the coasts all the war to the central plains, there's simply too much ground to cover in too short of a time to prevent devastating - likely nuclear - retaliation.
"Best" case scenario - nuke the midwest, capture the coast quickly. If you're lucky, you'll have the major population centers secured and the furthest missile/airbases before a response can be organized.
Patience, even in this day and age, is still a virtue.

Servinta
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Servinta » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:13 am

Sanctus saxa wrote:Short answer: No.

Long answer: Not unless you nuke everything first. The US is, quite simply, too big - it would be a costly enterprise to take on in both man and equipment, and when you consider that strategic bases are scattered from the coasts all the war to the central plains, there's simply too much ground to cover in too short of a time to prevent devastating - likely nuclear - retaliation.
"Best" case scenario - nuke the midwest, capture the coast quickly. If you're lucky, you'll have the major population centers secured and the furthest missile/airbases before a response can be organized.

Not exactly, the point of an invasion isn't to cover the most ground, its simply to remove the military threat.The taking of ground can be a secondary objective to destroying the military forces.

Saarth
Envoy

Founded: Jul 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Saarth » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:15 am

Very difficult, and your going to need allies. Big allies.

First off, you need to get the nuclear briefcase away from the president somehow. No ones invading America if 8,500 nuclear weapons are capable of being used. Need to sabotage that somehow.
Next, your going to have to decide your path of invasion. An invasion through Mexico is unlikely, and involves lots of military bases. Invasion a through Canada would encounter difficult terrain. An invasion through the sea could grab smaller islands like Hawaii and Puerto Rio, but not enough to take the mainland. To fully conquer the US, Sea landings combined with an invasion through Canada would be best. Also will need manpower and large navy.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:16 am

Seaborne is out of the question. But air and land based attacks would be best based going through New Mexico. Simply, it's unlikely and will pretty much require an enemy to ally with Mexico.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:18 am

Saarth wrote:Very difficult, and your going to need allies. Big allies.

First off, you need to get the nuclear briefcase away from the president somehow. No ones invading America if 8,500 nuclear weapons are capable of being used. Need to sabotage that somehow.
Next, your going to have to decide your path of invasion. An invasion through Mexico is unlikely, and involves lots of military bases. Invasion a through Canada would encounter difficult terrain. An invasion through the sea could grab smaller islands like Hawaii and Puerto Rio, but not enough to take the mainland. To fully conquer the US, Sea landings combined with an invasion through Canada would be best. Also will need manpower and large navy.

I'd point out the Mexican land border is weak in spots to the point one could run an army through. And Canada's plains would be a very easy invasion assuming that one could get them to no longer be in a military alliance with the US. As long as Canada's in NATO... a land invasion will go through Mexico.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:19 am

Not unless your army has Võ Nguyên Giáp, Rommel, Yamamoto and Montgomery on it.
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Bulgar Rouge
Minister

Founded: Dec 08, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bulgar Rouge » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:20 am

A nation with a sufficiently large nuclear arsenal - like Russia - could carry out a massive first strike against the majority of American military assets (including nuclear). The Russians could then pose an ultimatum against the US not to launch a retaliatory strike and to capitulate, as it is already at a huge disadvantage. Enemy troops could then easily arrive by air or land to wrest control of the capital and certain strategic assets or make sure the remaining American military units are disarmed, so no need to nuke cities at all. However, this is a huge gamble.

This nation does not reflect my RL views.
Singaporean Transhumans wrote:I'm only saying that, well, even commies have reached the level of selling counterfeit and drugs in their storefronts, we can't be any less.

The Holy Therns wrote:Politicians make statements. It's their substitute for achievement.

Celibrae
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Celibrae » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:20 am

If there was a Russia-China coalition it could be possible, but still with major economic and political backwash. But this is unlikely, no matter how they appear, they are scared of each other, so my answer is: no
"Though much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:21 am

Deian salazar wrote:This feels 1 sided here......
Question:Are y'all siding with the USA because you like it?

No, it's logical given the borders and the US-Canada military alliance that the only invasion possible will come from the same place drug cartels come from, Mexico.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Mandicoria
Senator

Founded: Sep 10, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Mandicoria » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:21 am

Davinhia wrote:This isn't infinity ward's call of duty
silly little creature, she/they
apologies if im like, really aloof. this site has an affect on me.
What if Humanity was as Important as it thought it was... But it turned out to not be a very good thing.
also i rip off warhammer, DOOM, and halo unapologetically
Highly suggest listening to this when reading anything I post about this nation.
A [1.18] civilization, according to this index.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:22 am

Celibrae wrote:If there was a Russia-China coalition it could be possible, but still with major economic and political backwash. But this is unlikely, no matter how they appear, they are scared of each other, so my answer is: no

And secondly, they'd need Mexico in their loop of interest or take them out first.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Bad Idea Purveyor

Krasny-Volny
Minister

Founded: Nov 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Krasny-Volny » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:23 am

Feasible by an international coalition of every other significant military power on Earth.
And even then unlikely.
Krastecexport. Cheap armaments for the budget minded, sold with discretion.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:24 am

No. Long term invasion and occupation is completely impossible. Short term strikes are feasible, but would be devastating for the belligerent power attacking the US.

Gig em Aggies
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 15, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Gig em Aggies » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:24 am

Another more recent example is that the highly popular Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare where in short Atlas a PMC organization has somewhat "invaded" the mainland United States. Now with that in mind could a PMC do the job better then an actual nation?
“One of the serious problems of planning against Aggie doctrine is that the Aggies do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine.”
“The reason that the Aggies does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the Aggies practices chaos on a daily basis.”
“If we don’t know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can’t anticipate our future actions!”

Mandicoria
Senator

Founded: Sep 10, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Mandicoria » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:25 am

Bulgar Rouge wrote:

A nation with a sufficiently large nuclear arsenal - like Russia - could carry out a massive first strike against the majority of American military assets (including nuclear). The Russians could then pose an ultimatum against the US not to launch a retaliatory strike and to capitulate, as it is already at a huge disadvantage. Enemy troops could then easily arrive by air or land to wrest control of the capital and certain strategic assets or make sure the remaining American military units are disarmed, so no need to nuke cities at all. However, this is a huge gamble.

The US would launch missiles back the moment satellites pick up the launches. A nuclear attack by Russia would lead to the rest of the world being destroyed. There's a reason why it's called "Mutually Assured Destruction". But let's say this is a conventional war, it would be near impossible to go far into the nation; let alone hold onto a city for a long period of time. Not only do you have US forces to worry about, but the rest of NATO moving in to support and to help invade the aggressive country.
silly little creature, she/they
apologies if im like, really aloof. this site has an affect on me.
What if Humanity was as Important as it thought it was... But it turned out to not be a very good thing.
also i rip off warhammer, DOOM, and halo unapologetically
Highly suggest listening to this when reading anything I post about this nation.
A [1.18] civilization, according to this index.

Skwar
Envoy

Founded: Jun 24, 2014
New York Times Democracy

Postby Skwar » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:25 am

It would be damn near impossible. I've even read that the entire world wouldn't be able to totally conquer the US.
http://www.vice.com/read/we-asked-a-military-expert-if-the-whole-world-could-conquer-the-united-states
JUSTICE FOR WALLENBURG! GenSec wants the community to see and judge the relevant messages, M/A is ensuring that only one side of the story can be (very vaguely) told. That should tell us everything.

Servinta
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Servinta » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:27 am

Mandicoria wrote:
Bulgar Rouge wrote:

The US would launch missiles back the moment satellites pick up the launches. A nuclear attack by Russia would lead to the rest of the world being destroyed. There's a reason why it's called "Mutually Assured Destruction". But let's say this is a conventional war, it would be near impossible to go far into the nation; let alone hold onto a city for a long period of time. Not only do you have US forces to worry about, but the rest of NATO moving in to support and to help invade the aggressive country.

If we're removing nukes from the equation then why are we allowing NATO into the mix ?

Hollorous
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hollorous » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:27 am

Gigaverse wrote:Not unless your army has Võ Nguyên Giáp, Rommel, Yamamoto and Montgomery on it.

Giap was a defender, not an invader.

The other guys could probably come up with something, given the right backing, technology, and such.

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Grand Britannia » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:29 am

You'd need a nation with the same military power and power projection the US has, and even then not by a long shot.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General