NATION

PASSWORD

How would you reform the UN?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hannibal Lector Society
Attaché

Founded: Mar 25, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hannibal Lector Society » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:18 am

Senkaku wrote:Give it actual authority (a small globally elected legislative body) and a small standing army.

exactly
MYSTICAL AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Green Party Member- Jill Stein 2016

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:21 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:
L Ron Cupboard wrote:To me it is the Security Council that needs reforming to have much wider membership. The logic for the current permanent members seems outdated. I would rather see the security council membership made up of say the top thirty countries by population.

The first ten countries count for more than four billion people.

The current exclusion of India, Brazil, Indonesia etc. just seems silly when you have Luxembourg as a non-permanent member.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:25 am

L Ron Cupboard wrote:
The Grim Reaper wrote:
The first ten countries count for more than four billion people.

The current exclusion of India, Brazil, Indonesia etc. just seems silly when you have Luxembourg as a non-permanent member.

Hell, the exclusion of India almost seems ridiculous compared to the inclusion of the UK and France.
Last edited by The Grim Reaper on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:27 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:
L Ron Cupboard wrote:

Hell, the exclusion of India almost seems ridiculous compared to the inclusion of the UK and France.

I agree, even as someone from the UK.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Adiedren
Secretary

Founded: Oct 18, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Adiedren » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:29 am

Really, i'd just give it some actual power. Right now it's nothing

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Founded: Jul 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:32 am

Gothmogs wrote:Based on my limited experience in Model UN, take away the vetoes. It's hard enough getting a majority to agree with a resolution, than to also have five nations that hate one another all agree on the same thing as well.

That is only in Security Council, but I do agree that Vetoes can really compromise the democratic structure that the UN was founded on.

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:33 am

Abolish the UN. It is ineffective in alleviating situations across the world due to the lack of power, and if they are granted more power, there will be conflicts with national sovereignty, and that would once again render the UN ineffective. Overall, abolishing the UN is the only thing that can be done as it is largely useless and ineffective.

Rephesus
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rephesus » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:37 am

Republic of Coldwater wrote:Abolish the UN. It is ineffective in alleviating situations across the world due to the lack of power, and if they are granted more power, there will be conflicts with national sovereignty, and that would once again render the UN ineffective. Overall, abolishing the UN is the only thing that can be done as it is largely useless and ineffective.

So let's abolish the primary source for international dialogue and mediation? Let's abolish the largest intergovernmental organization in the world that is responsible for funding countless refugee and humanitarian missions, let's abolish the organization that is one of the primary reasons we all aren't bigoted nationalists?

Aeternabilis
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aeternabilis » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:23 am

Abolish either the permanent memberships or just the veto powers. The world is getting screwed over to protect the interests of the winners of a war that occurred 70 years ago. Also, give it a good sized army made of volunteers so they can go in and actually enforce peace rather than relying on foreign armies and letting things get worse.
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:36 am

I would definitely change the veto system, but the veto system is still important. Without it the UN could just do whatever the more prominent members wanted it to do. I just think the temporary members of the security council should have more power.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:36 am

Aeternabilis wrote:Abolish either the permanent memberships or just the veto powers. The world is getting screwed over to protect the interests of the winners of a war that occurred 70 years ago. Also, give it a good sized army made of volunteers so they can go in and actually enforce peace rather than relying on foreign armies and letting things get worse.

Where would these volunteers come from if not from foreign armies?
Last edited by The Sotoan Union on Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Republic of Coldwater
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Coldwater » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:37 am

Rephesus wrote:
Republic of Coldwater wrote:Abolish the UN. It is ineffective in alleviating situations across the world due to the lack of power, and if they are granted more power, there will be conflicts with national sovereignty, and that would once again render the UN ineffective. Overall, abolishing the UN is the only thing that can be done as it is largely useless and ineffective.

So let's abolish the primary source for international dialogue and mediation? Let's abolish the largest intergovernmental organization in the world that is responsible for funding countless refugee and humanitarian missions, let's abolish the organization that is one of the primary reasons we all aren't bigoted nationalists?

There are better ways for international dialogue, and that doesn't mean this gargantuan organization that does WAYYY more than that. An intergovernmental organization doesn't have to so big, and differing interests between nations really make it hard for it to operate as an effective one. They have resolutions that ask for funding, you can still turn down the offer. The UN's intrusions on each nation's freedom probably increases zealous nationalism.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:40 am

West Aurelia wrote:
Rephesus wrote:Maybe not kick out per se, but remove recognition. It's the same reason South Ossetia, Transnistia, and NKR aren't recognized. (Except they atleast are more legit than NK). Personally I believe de facto states should have delegations, but not recognition. North Korea should be considered a de facto state and personally I don't understand why the UN would recognize them in the first place (Cold War politics I assume)

What is your basis for not recognizing North Korea? After World War II, the UN partitioned Korea (then a Japanese colony) into North and South, which were administered by the USSR and US, respectively, until 1948 when they became independent.

Because North Korea is a totalitarian hellhole, it basically a giant gulag that stretches from the 38th Parallel to the Yalu River. Its not a country, its a prison camp.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:40 am

I think it should be a bit like the WA: unless if in the SC, the permanent members veto it, all members should follow UN resolutions that are approved by a majority.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:41 am

Luziyca wrote:I think it should be a bit like the WA: unless if in the SC, the permanent members veto it, all members should follow UN resolutions that are approved by a majority.

Well mob rule isn't really fair. At that point the UN would just be an extension of NATO most of the time.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:43 am

The Sotoan Union wrote:
Luziyca wrote:I think it should be a bit like the WA: unless if in the SC, the permanent members veto it, all members should follow UN resolutions that are approved by a majority.

Well mob rule isn't really fair. At that point the UN would just be an extension of NATO most of the time.

Well, for human rights conventions like the Right of the Child, the USA and Somalia can finally have to follow it.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Aeternabilis
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aeternabilis » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:44 am

The Sotoan Union wrote:
Aeternabilis wrote:Abolish either the permanent memberships or just the veto powers. The world is getting screwed over to protect the interests of the winners of a war that occurred 70 years ago. Also, give it a good sized army made of volunteers so they can go in and actually enforce peace rather than relying on foreign armies and letting things get worse.

Where would these volunteers come from if not from foreign armies?

What I mean is volunteers could come from civilian population or the various militaries. But, the UN army would have full authority over it, and the nations from where the volunteers came from have little to no sway over them.
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:50 am

Luziyca wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:Well mob rule isn't really fair. At that point the UN would just be an extension of NATO most of the time.

Well, for human rights conventions like the Right of the Child, the USA and Somalia can finally have to follow it.

Well lets say the UN makes a resolution to bomb Syria and Russia can't do anything about it. Then the UN says the states not recognized as nuclear powers have to give up their nukes. Israel, India, Pakistan, and North Korea can't do anything about it.

If these countries can't do anything about UN resolutions, if they don't really have representation and authority, they are probably just going to leave.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:35 am

Gothmogs wrote:Based on my limited experience in Model UN, take away the vetoes. It's hard enough getting a majority to agree with a resolution, than to also have five nations that hate one another all agree on the same thing as well.

You'll never get the UNSC on board for that.
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:37 am

What about the infamous "Zionism is racism" resolution? Should Israel be obliged to follow that?
Degenerate Heart of HetRio wrote:Murkwood, I'm surprised you're not an anti-Semite and don't mind most LGBT rights because boy, aren't you a constellation of the worst opinions to have about everything? o_o

Benuty wrote:I suppose Ken Ham, and the league of Republican-Neocolonialist-Zionist Catholics will not be pleased.

Soldati senza confini wrote:Did I just try to rationalize Murkwood's logic? Please shoot me.

Catholicism has the fullness of the splendor of truth: The Bible and the Church Fathers agree!

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:46 am

Murkwood wrote:

What about the infamous "Zionism is racism" resolution? Should Israel be obliged to follow that?

It would only count if the US didn't "shit" on its bully pulpit so much they scrapped it.

Besides the US needs to go back to funding death squads so I can keep suing them .
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:48 am

Benuty wrote:
Murkwood wrote:What about the infamous "Zionism is racism" resolution? Should Israel be obliged to follow that?

It would only count if the US didn't "shit" on its bully pulpit so much they scrapped it.

Besides the US needs to go back to funding death squads so I can keep suing them .

That's not the point. Would Israel be obliged to agree just becomes the UN voted?

Vecherd
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vecherd » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:50 am

Turn the UN office into a brothel and abolish the non-brothel parts.
[align=center]Frie markeder Frie folk
[spoiler=Political Stuff]Left/Right: 8.12
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -10.00

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:50 am

Murkwood wrote:
Benuty wrote:It would only count if the US didn't "shit" on its bully pulpit so much they scrapped it.

That's not the point. Would Israel be obliged to agree just becomes the UN voted?

Given the vast amount of Cherry picking probably not.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Murkwood
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Murkwood » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:51 am

Benuty wrote:
Murkwood wrote:That's not the point. Would Israel be obliged to agree just becomes the UN voted?

Given the vast amount of Cherry picking probably not.

So the idea that everyone has to follow the resolutions is stupid!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General