NATION

PASSWORD

In Cold War, U.S. Spy Agencies Used 1,000 Nazis

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Was the USA justified in the use of former Nazi personell against the USSR?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes : 99

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:32 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:And considering there really weren't any well known war criminals protected by the US government (because they were all living in Argentina), I doubt that the OP's idea for this thread wasn't raising legitimate concerns but making a thread purely to make the US look bad.

Most of those who were employed by the Nazis or who were members of the Nazi party that later became employed by the Americans were scientists, especially those involved in the V-2 projects. The Soviets did the same as well, acquiring a large number of German scientists, aircraft and technology to built fighter jets and rockets.

Obviously the Nazis the Soviets employed were slightly better than those employed by the Americans if memory serves us correct.

On the other hand though, the US did grant immunity to members of Unit 731 in exchange for knowledge about their biological weapons experiments. That was inexcusable...those guys made the Nazis look like saints in what they did to people in China.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Lyttenburg wrote:Sources about thousands executed Jews in the USSR, please.

I believe the poster said persecution, not execution. There is a difference. Here's the dictionary definition of persecute. Here is execute.

As for persecution, anti-semitism was widespread in the Soviet Union, likely a hangover of pre-revolutionary times when the Tsars persecuted Jews.

One could also easily say that mere statistics mean thousands of Jews were exeucted in the USSR as well.
Jews being one of the component people's of the USSR who were killed.

Hell, if one limited themselves to Stalin's era they'd have a very large number of Jews from simple probability cropping up among all the fun deaths.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:34 pm

Lyttenburg wrote: My opinion is equally simple. By actively employing not just Germans, but Nazis US of A marred themselves during the Cold War completely eliminating any claims for "moral" superiority and right to call anyone but themselves as the "Evil Empire".

Both sides claimed moral superiority in the Cold War, you can't pull this either way.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:46 pm

Vetalia wrote:On the other hand though, the US did grant immunity to members of Unit 731 in exchange for knowledge about their biological weapons experiments. That was inexcusable...those guys made the Nazis look like saints in what they did to people in China.

Physicians were granted immunity. The Soviets tried the members but kept the documents and began building their own chemical weapons facilities as well as conducting human experimentation on interned members of the gulags.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:47 pm

It doesn't change the fact that the KGB was able to run circles around the CIA. So much for the Nazis being of use.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:51 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:Physicians were granted immunity. The Soviets tried the members but kept the documents and began building their own chemical weapons facilities as well as conducting human experimentation on interned members of the gulags.

Which, of course in turn led to several biological accidents resulting in civilian deaths. All around a lousy situation.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:54 pm

Saiwania wrote:It doesn't change the fact that the KGB was able to run circles around the CIA. So much for the Nazis being of use.

The history of the CIA vs. the KGB is like watching the Washington Generals play the Globetrotters.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:02 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Lyttenburg wrote: My opinion is equally simple. By actively employing not just Germans, but Nazis US of A marred themselves during the Cold War completely eliminating any claims for "moral" superiority and right to call anyone but themselves as the "Evil Empire".

Both sides claimed moral superiority in the Cold War, you can't pull this either way.

Yeah, both were bastardized forms of their claimed economic systems and both were imperialistic assholes. Neither were "good".
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Bubblekirby
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 17, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bubblekirby » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Yeah I'm sorry the US was indeed awful during the cold war but only one of the two super powers slaughtered it's own people by the millions. So like it or not we still had the moral high ground even though we weren't "good" ourselves
Last edited by Bubblekirby on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://tracker.conquestofabsolution.com/bubblekirby (use this if you want to gauge my power in an rp)
"Bewailing your faith in humanity is right down there with declaring all politicians to be liars and Western society to be in an inexorable decline. It might get you some fun at the coffee shop but in a discussion thread it's just noise." - Quote by Farnhamia

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:09 pm

And the KGB didn't?
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Lyttenburg
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lyttenburg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:10 pm

Geilinor wrote:The Soviets used Nazi scientists in their space program. Former Nazi scientists went to all the Allies.

Only the article is not about the scientists. I even mention it in my post, just for those fine people who do not read articles.

The balkens wrote:
It's the cold war.

Whataboutism was a fucking driving point in the whole damn thing.

"what about Korea? what about china? what about Vietnam? what about Afghanistan? what about Angola? what about central america?"

That user is trying to answer me now. At present. Not dueing the Cold War.

Costa Fierro wrote:
Lyttenburg wrote:Sources about thousands executed Jews in the USSR, please.

I believe the poster said persecution, not execution. There is a difference. Here's the dictionary definition of persecute. Here is execute.

As for persecution, anti-semitism was widespread in the Soviet Union, likely a hangover of pre-revolutionary times when the Tsars persecuted Jews.

I know the difference between the "execution" and "persecution". The user in question equaled USSR with Nazi Germany in regards of treatmet of the Jews.
“In an hour of Darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of Insanity, look to the madman to show the way.”
Fight for Peace. Live for War. Die for Nothing
I wholeheartedly support the Great Ukraine from Lviv to Ternopil!
Кто не скачет - того Крым!
The ultimate fate of all Russophobes.

Lyttenburgh. Founded: Thu Sep 1 2011. Deleted: Sun Jun 8 2014. Population: 5.201 billion.
Never Forgive. Never Forget

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:21 pm

Lyttenburg wrote:A recent article by "The New York Times" released yet another "secret of Polichinelle":

In Cold War, U.S. Spy Agencies Used 1,000 Nazis

At the height of the Cold War in the 1950s, law enforcement and intelligence leaders like J. Edgar Hoover at the F.B.I. and Allen Dulles at the C.I.A. aggressively recruited onetime Nazis of all ranks as secret, anti-Soviet “assets,” declassified records show. They believed the ex-Nazis’ intelligence value against the Russians outweighed what one official called “moral lapses” in their service to the Third Reich.

The agency hired one former SS officer as a spy in the 1950s, for instance, even after concluding he was probably guilty of “minor war crimes.”

And in 1994, a lawyer with the C.I.A. pressured prosecutors to drop an investigation into an ex-spy outside Boston implicated in the Nazis’ massacre of tens of thousands of Jews in Lithuania, according to a government official.

Speaking of that Lithuanian - this was one Aleksandras Lileikis. In 1939 - deputy head of the department of Lithuanian Security Police in Vilnius. After the accession of Lithuania in to the Soviet Union emigrated to Nazi Germany. In August 1941 - Head of Vilnius Lithuanian security police under Gestapo's jurisdiction. Americans, as confirmed in article, were fully aware of his involvement in the murder of 60,000 Lithuanian Jews. Nevertheless, in 1952-1955 Lileikis 'worked' in the staff (salaried) as CIA spy in the East Germany, then moved to the United States. He received citizenship in 1976. After 11 years of investigation (and despite all the tricks and bullshitery of the CIA) this bastard was stripped of the US citizenship in 1994 and deported to Lithuania... where the local authorities have found no evidence of his war crimes (despite the fact, that said evidence used in Lileikis persecution in the States were received from Lithuanian acrhives). He died peacefully in hospital in 2000 at the age of 92 years.

This "news" about just 1000 Nazis are only tip of the iceberg. Article comments that:

Evidence of the government’s links to Nazi spies began emerging publicly in the 1970s. But thousands of records from declassified files, Freedom of Information Act requests and other sources, together with interviews with scores of current and former government officials, show that the government’s recruitment of Nazis ran far deeper than previously known and that officials sought to conceal those ties for at least a half-century after the war.

In 1980, F.B.I. officials refused to tell even the Justice Department’s own Nazi hunters what they knew about 16 suspected Nazis living in the United States.

The bureau balked at a request from prosecutors for internal records on the Nazi suspects, memos show, because the 16 men had all worked as F.B.I. informants, providing leads on Communist “sympathizers.” Five of the men were still active informants.

And US hired not only suchs like Lileikis, who only committed "minor war crimes" (i.e. killed "only" 60 000 Jews):

Some spies for the United States had worked at the highest levels for the Nazis.

One SS officer, Otto von Bolschwing, was a mentor and top aide to Adolf Eichmann, architect of the “Final Solution,” and wrote policy papers on how to terrorize Jews.

Yet after the war, the C.I.A. not only hired him as a spy in Europe, but relocated him and his family to New York City in 1954, records show. The move was seen as a “a reward for his loyal postwar service and in view of the innocuousness of his [Nazi] party activities,” the agency wrote...

...When Israeli agents captured Eichmann in Argentina in 1960, Otto von Bolschwing went to the C.I.A. for help because he worried they might come after him, memos show.

Agency officials were worried as well that Mr. von Bolschwing might be named as Eichmann’s “collaborator and fellow conspirator and that the resulting publicity may prove embarrassing to the U.S.” a C.I.A. official wrote.

After two agents met with Mr. von Bolschwing in 1961, the agency assured him it would not disclose his ties to Eichmann, records show. He lived freely for another 20 years before prosecutors discovered his wartime role and prosecuted him. He agreed to give up his citizenship in 1981, dying months later.

USA used former Nazi's not only in the espionage work:

The Nazi spies performed a range of tasks for American agencies in the 1950s and 1960s, from the hazardous to the trivial, the documents show.

In Maryland, Army officials trained several Nazi officers in paramilitary warfare for a possible invasion of Russia. In Connecticut, the C.I.A. used an ex-Nazi guard to study Soviet-bloc postage stamps for hidden meanings.

In Virginia, a top adviser to Hitler gave classified briefings on Soviet affairs. And in Germany, SS officers infiltrated Russian-controlled zones, laying surveillance cables and monitoring trains.

So, the question is simple - sas the USA justified in the use of former Nazi personell against the USSR (Yes or No)? Why?

My opinion is equally simple. By actively employing not just Germans, but Nazis US of A marred themselves during the Cold War completely eliminating any claims for "moral" superiority and right to call anyone but themselves as the "Evil Empire".

America is a good player of the Game.

Its all about thrones and power. The USA did what it did to try and defeat the Soviets, that was all. Its like the Lannisters forgiving the Tyrells; they were needed and the alliance was beneficial. Let bygones be bygones.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Blazedtown wrote:And the KGB didn't?

They did. ...but that's irrelevant to the conversation about the CIA.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:22 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:And the KGB didn't?

They did. ...but that's irrelevant to the conversation about the CIA.

Since the KGB was doing it, the USA would be naive not do it too.

Lyttenburg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lyttenburg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:24 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
America is good player of the Game.

Its all about thrones and power. The USA did what it did to try and defeat the Soviets, that was all. Its like the Lannisters forgiving the Tyrells; they were needed and the alliance was beneficial. Let bygones be bygones.

This is a real world - not a fantasy novel.

Should I understand it, that you consider justified the use of the Nazi war criminals against the USSR?
“In an hour of Darkness, a blind man is the best guide. In an age of Insanity, look to the madman to show the way.”

Lyttenburgh. Founded: Thu Sep 1 2011. Deleted: Sun Jun 8 2014. Population: 5.201 billion.

Mirchusko
Attaché

Founded: Jan 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirchusko » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:26 pm

Is anyone actually surprised by this? The US used anyone they could against the Soviets. Heck, the arms race was all about which side's German scientists were better. Of course we can look back and call it wrong, but this was the Cold War. Neither side was particularly concerned with ethics.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:27 pm

Lyttenburg wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Should I understand it, that you consider justified the use of the Nazi war criminals against the USSR?

Innocent until proven guilty. They never went to trial.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Lyttenburg wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

If you are into realpolitik , like they seem to be, then real world and a fantasy novel look the same - it's all a game of chess with no concern for morality.
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

Lyttenburg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lyttenburg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:30 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Lyttenburg wrote:

Have you read the article? Or just quotes from it about Aleksandras Lileikis?

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:32 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
Lyttenburg wrote:

If you are into realpolitik , like they seem to be, then real world and a fantasy novel look the same - it's all a game of chess with no concern for morality.

that's what i was getting at

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Lyttenburg wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

so if someone worked for Nazi Germany, he should never be employed again?

Isn't that political discrimination?

I'm sure they had to go through a job interview with the US government and were only hired after the employer decided they had skillsets that were sought after in the bureau...

Lyttenburg
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Lyttenburg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

I'm sure they had to go through a job interview with the US government and were only hired after the employer decided they had skillsets that were sought after in the bureau...

I'm sorry, is there anything preventing you from reading the article? Or it is just your way of dodging a question?

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:36 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Lyttenburg wrote:

If your job was basically a (militarily defeated) state-employed mass murderer, then political discrimination looks like the least thing you should be facing.
You know that this was actually a good deal of what the RAF did in western germany? Assassinating former war criminals that managed to still control western german society in corrupt Adenauer's regime.
Kosovo is Serbia!

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

If your job was basically a (militarily defeated) state-employed mass murderer, then political discrimination looks like the least thing you should be facing.
You know that this was actually a good deal of what the RAF did in western germany? Assassinating former war criminals that managed to still control western german society in corrupt Adenauer's regime.

What?

Assassinations... carried out by personnel of the Royal AIR FORCE? An Air Force performing assassinations?

That's so cool!

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:39 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Central Slavia wrote:If your job was basically a (militarily defeated) state-employed mass murderer, then political discrimination looks like the least thing you should be facing.

What?

Assassinations... carried out by personnel of the Royal AIR FORCE? An Air Force performing assassinations?

That's so cool!

Nah
Rote Armee Fraktion.
A fringe communist group, mostly composed of disenfranchised youths, and helped by Stasi from across the border.
Kosovo is Serbia!

Glorious Homeland wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General