NATION

PASSWORD

Statistics Don't Support Rape Culture

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Haktiva
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:58 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Haktiva wrote:It's gonna happen anyways, but there are steps a person can take to keep themselves safe. It's not my responsibility to look after anyone but myself unless I agree to a contract(shake hands and such).

What if it would have been your best friend the one who got raped, would you still blame it on them?

There's a cause for everything. What led up to it? My best friend is responsible for their own safety, if they're not being careful, then there's a much more likely chance of bad stuff happening to them. They're not responsible for the rapist raping them, but they are responsible for making themselves vulnerable.

If I'm at a party and I'm not watching my drink, it's my fault if someone slips a date rape drug in there without anyone anyone noticing, not my fault the rapist decided to do that.
All around disagreeable person.

"Personal freedom is a double edged sword though. On the one end, it grants more power to the individual. However, the vast majority of individuals are fuckin idiots, and if certain restraints are not metered down by more responsible members of society, the society quickly degrades into a hedonistic and psychotic cluster fuck."

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:00 pm

Spoder wrote:
Haktiva wrote:It's gonna happen anyways, but there are steps a person can take to keep themselves safe. It's not my responsibility to look after anyone but myself unless I agree to a contract(shake hands and such).

That is fucking bullshit.

There is a simple solution to rape and sexual abuse: control your fucking urges

I do it every fucking day. So do lots of other people.

yeah, but rapists aren't most people, obviously. They're sociopaths for the most part, so obviously our morals don't apply to them. They don't give a shit. You have to take steps to avoid and protect yourself from those types of people.

"Personal freedom is a double edged sword though. On the one end, it grants more power to the individual. However, the vast majority of individuals are fuckin idiots, and if certain restraints are not metered down by more responsible members of society, the society quickly degrades into a hedonistic and psychotic cluster fuck."

Spoder
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Haktiva wrote:
What if it would have been your best friend the one who got raped, would you still blame it on them?

There's a cause for everything. What led up to it? My best friend is responsible for their own safety, if they're not being careful, then there's a much more likely chance of bad stuff happening to them. They're not responsible for the rapist raping them, but they are responsible for making themselves vulnerable.

If I'm at a party and I'm not watching my drink, it's my fault if someone slips a date rape drug in there without anyone anyone noticing, not my fault the rapist decided to do that.

Say that to a rape victim's face.

I dare you, I double dare you muthafucka.

That is bullshit. Absolute bullshit. That is a sick, twisted, view that needs to go away as soon as it can. You should not have to worry about that. Keeping your head down does fucking nothing.

Report me if you want, but with that statement I now view you as one of the most sick people I have met online and in real life.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:05 pm

Haktiva wrote:
Spoder wrote:That is fucking bullshit.

yeah, but rapists aren't most people, obviously. They're sociopaths for the most part, so obviously our morals don't apply to them. They don't give a shit. You have to take steps to avoid and protect yourself from those types of people.

You shouldn't have to.

Keeping your head down does nothing.

I get the feeling your love has never been unrequited, or your testosterone levels didn't spike in your teen years.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:06 pm

Haktiva wrote:

Well then.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:06 pm

Spoder wrote:

That is fucking bullshit.

While I absolutely agree victim blaming is utter shite, and you should never blame a victim, I do think there is a place for advocating a degree of self-protection to help prevent occurrences from happening. You cannot control other people's actions, but you can minimize the personal risk you face in everything.

To bring up a crime-related analogy, nobody would wave off the victim of a robbery because they left their door unlocked and get robbed. If the person who did it were caught, they would be charged. But that doesn't mean you leave you door unlocked. In a similar manner, nobody should ever blame the victim of rape regardless of circumstance for what occurred. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't advocate personal protection and safety to minimize the risk involved. It'd be great to get rid of rapists from our society. That is a complete impossibility, however, just as it is to get rid of robber and other criminals. There are just terrible people. We can do what we can, but we ultimately cannot control individuals. So we take precautions to minimize our risk from them, and hope they help prevent said crimes from occurring.

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:08 pm

Spoder wrote:
Haktiva wrote:There's a cause for everything. What led up to it? My best friend is responsible for their own safety, if they're not being careful, then there's a much more likely chance of bad stuff happening to them. They're not responsible for the rapist raping them, but they are responsible for making themselves vulnerable.

That is bullshit. Absolute bullshit. That is a sick, twisted, view that needs to go away as soon as it can. You should not have to worry about that. Keeping your head down does fucking nothing.

Report me if you want, but with that statement I now view you as one of the most sick people I have met online and in real life.

Why would I report you? You're expressing your opinion. I don't give a shit what it is.

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:08 pm

Seangoli wrote:

While I absolutely agree victim blaming is utter shite, and you should never blame a victim, I do think there is a place for advocating a degree of self-protection to help prevent occurrences from happening. You cannot control other people's actions, but you can minimize the personal risk you face in everything.

To bring up a crime-related analogy, nobody would wave off the victim of a robbery because they left their door unlocked and get robbed. If the person who did it were caught, they would be charged. But that doesn't mean you leave you door unlocked. In a similar manner, nobody should ever blame the victim of rape regardless of circumstance for what occurred. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't advocate personal protection and safety to minimize the risk involved. It'd be great to get rid of rapists from our society. That is a complete impossibility, however, just as it is to get rid of robber and other criminals. There are just terrible people. We can do what we can, but we ultimately cannot control individuals. So we take precautions to minimize our risk from them, and hope they help prevent said crimes from occurring.

The difference between all of these examples is how simple the solution to preventing rape culture is.

It's not even rapists, but cat calling and all that other shit too.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:09 pm

Haktiva wrote:
Spoder wrote:Say that to a rape victim's face.

Why would I report you? You're expressing your opinion. I don't give a shit what it is.

I thought attacking posters was against the rules (I've gotten in trouble for it).

Whatever.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Spoder wrote:
Haktiva wrote:yeah, but rapists aren't most people, obviously. They're sociopaths for the most part, so obviously our morals don't apply to them. They don't give a shit. You have to take steps to avoid and protect yourself from those types of people.

You shouldn't have to.

I get the feeling your love has never been unrequited, or your testosterone levels didn't spike in your teen years.

How does a personal attack make for a good argument?

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:12 pm

Spoder wrote:
Haktiva wrote:There's a cause for everything. What led up to it? My best friend is responsible for their own safety, if they're not being careful, then there's a much more likely chance of bad stuff happening to them. They're not responsible for the rapist raping them, but they are responsible for making themselves vulnerable.

No.
That view was worded awfully, but ultimately it points to a true thing.
There's a massive conflation of the meanings of responsibility here which doesn't become anyone.
Let's actually draw a better analogy.

Suppose someone decides to walk at night, alone, through a shitty neighbourhood and they get mugged.
Is the victim responsible for some asshole deciding to mug them? No.
Does the mugger get to blame the victim for making him mug them? Resounding no.
However, could the victim have taken steps to avoid themselves getting mugged? Well, yes.
And, is it good that people take steps to protect themselves? Yes.
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:14 pm

Central Slavia wrote:

No.
There's a massive conflation of the meanings of responsibility here which doesn't become anyone.

Suppose someone decides to walk at night, alone, through a shitty neighbourhood and they get mugged.
However, could the victim have taken steps to avoid themselves getting mugged? Well, yes.

Yes. But the whole point is you shouldn't have to take those steps, and it isn't as complicated as stopping thievery and murder worldwide.

The solution to sex-related crimes/harassment is just so fucking simple, it hurts.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Haktiva wrote:
Spoder wrote:You shouldn't have to.

How does a personal attack make for a good argument?

Experience (experience, not age) tends to lend to a better understanding of situations.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Spoder wrote:
Haktiva wrote:yeah, but rapists aren't most people, obviously. They're sociopaths for the most part, so obviously our morals don't apply to them. They don't give a shit. You have to take steps to avoid and protect yourself from those types of people.

You shouldn't have to.

Now this is downright idiotic.
Not protecting yourself because "you shouldn't have to" is idiotic. You shouldn't have to watch your pockets when in a public transport, but if you don't, your wallet's likely to go away.
Kosovo is Serbia!

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:18 pm

Spoder wrote:
Central Slavia wrote:
No.

Yes. But the whole point is you shouldn't have to take those steps, and it isn't as complicated as stopping thievery and murder worldwide.

The solution to sex-related crimes/harassment is just so fucking simple, it hurts.

And what is the solution, pray tell?
Kosovo is Serbia!

Glorious Homeland wrote:

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:20 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
Spoder wrote:

And what is the solution, pray tell?

Like I said. People need to control their urges. If need be (in the case of serious mental disabilities) medication can be provided.

You have a boner? Too fucking bad. Like the way her natural D-cups look? Doesn't mean you need to stare at them like some motherfucking creep.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Seangoli wrote:

thank you for the words of sanity.

Seangoli
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Spoder wrote:
Seangoli wrote:

The difference between all of these examples is how simple the solution to preventing rape culture is.

Minimizing rape culture will not prevent the act of rape, or at the least not remove it from our society. There are truly messed up people who don't give two flying fucks what the rest of society thinks, and I'm willing to bet that most rapists are of the mindset. What combating rape culture does help, however, is increase the likelihood that such crimes will be reported and dealt with, as it provides a societal message to victims that their accusations will be taken seriously and not denied offhandedly. It does not, and I personally see virtually no reason why it would, prevent the crime itself. To think this way is to assume that men within our society are defacto programmed to be rapists. Something which I find borderline insulting, to be frank. Most men are not, and have no sympathy for the crime or the criminal. But there are certain biases that absolutely need to be addressed that lead to difficulty in victims coming forward. And it's hardly just an issue of sexualization of women. Such an explanation, while a part of the whole, completely and utterly ignores the wider aspects of our society that go beyond it. I'm afraid it's far more complicated than it is simple.
Last edited by Seangoli on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:24 pm

Central Slavia wrote:

No.

See, here's the problem with that mentality.

Even if someone takes all precautions, people will always say, no matter what they do "she chose to do what she did, she's responsible; she was asking for it".

The only way you can prevent someone from ever doing any harm to you is sheltering yourself at home and live in your own bubble.

And, as we all know, that's not how the real world works. So the next best thing is a combination of taking measures to protect yourself, but to also crack down on rapists. It's not the victim's fault that something happened because, and this is important, they never asked for what happened to them.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Haktiva
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:24 pm

Central Slavia wrote:

No.

yeah I know I suck at wording my views sometimes. thanks for that.

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Spoder wrote:
Central Slavia wrote:And what is the solution, pray tell?

Like I said. People need to control their urges. If need be (in the case of serious mental disabilities) medication can be provided.

You have a boner? Too fucking bad. Like the way her natural D-cups look? Doesn't mean you need to stare at them like some motherfucking creep.

Sorry, but you're full of shit.
If "People need to control their urges" is your solution to rape... wait, why is it not also solution to the thousands of other crimes that happen? People need to control their urges to drink! Bam! Drunk driving goes away! People need to control their urges to harm someone! Bam! Murders/maimings in affect go away! People need to control their urges towards others property! Bam! Theft goes away!

Except you explicitly said to be against this and recognise the other topics to be far more complex than this, which leaves me wondering why you somehow can't get your head around an analogous situation.
Kosovo is Serbia!

Glorious Homeland wrote:

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Seangoli wrote:
Spoder wrote:The difference between all of these examples is how simple the solution to preventing rape culture is.

Minimizing rape culture will not prevent the act of rape, or at the least not remove it from our society. There are truly messed up people who don't give two flying fucks what the rest of society thinks, and I'm willing to bet that most rapists are of the mindset. What combating rape culture does help, however, is increase the likelihood that such crimes will be reported and dealt with, as it provides a societal message to victims that their accusations will be taken seriously and not denied offhandedly. It does not, and I personally see virtually no reason why it would, prevent the crime itself. To think this way is to assume that men within our society are defacto programmed to be rapists. Something which I find borderline insulting, to be frank. Most men are not, and have no sympathy for the crime or the criminal. But there are certain biases that absolutely need to be addressed that lead to difficulty in victims coming forward. And it's hardly just an issue of sexualization of women. Such an explanation, while a part of the whole, completely and utterly ignores the wider aspects of our society that go beyond it. I'm afraid it's far more complicated than it is simple.
Rape culture and rape are two separate issues, yes.

But bodily urges can be controlled. Rape culture is much harder to remove entirely, but it still isn't as complicated as thievery and murder.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:30 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
No.

See, here's the problem with that mentality.

Even if someone takes all precautions, people will always say, no matter what they do "she chose to do what she did, she's responsible; she was asking for it".

Okay, this is glorious. I just make a post explaining the difference between responsibility for your own safety, which is towards yourself and has nothing to do with any law, and legal responsibility, and how they shouldn't be conflated, and yet in the response, you do just that. It's also interesting people don't have the same problem of basic understanding (and on both sides, I have to say) with any other crime you can take precautions against, just rape.
tl;dr, if the people will "always say" the above, they are fucking idiots.

The only way you can prevent someone from ever doing any harm to you is sheltering yourself at home and live in your own bubble.

And, as we all know, that's not how the real world works. So the next best thing is a combination of taking measures to protect yourself, but to also crack down on rapists. It's not the victim's fault that something happened because, and this is important, they never asked for what happened to them.

Thank you for restating my point.
Now, tell me again, where am I advocating letting rapists go easy, or suggesting people don't leave homes without an armed guard?
Kosovo is Serbia!

Glorious Homeland wrote:

Seangoli
Negotiator

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:30 pm

Spoder wrote:
Central Slavia wrote:
No.

We don't live in a perfect world and never will. You shouldn't have to take steps to stop your house from being robbed. But you do every time you lock a door. You shouldn't have to take steps to stop yourself from being mugged. But you do every time you decide not to walk down a dark alley.

The solution is not simple. What you are talking about is controlling people's thoughts and actions. Which is impossible to do. Utterly and completely impossible. There are terrible people who just don't give two flying fucks about what you think/say. As i said, most people whoc commit these crimes likely have this mindset. There is no "simple" answer to any crime in the world, because if there were we'd have done it by now. To reiterate, we lived in one fucked up world, with many fucked up people. Most are not fucked up. Some are. We take precautions to protect ourselves from these people because ultimately we can't control them. And if we are the unfortunate victims, the perpetrators get dealt with. That is, quite literally, the best we can do outside of mind control.

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:31 pm

Spoder wrote:
Seangoli wrote:
Rape culture and rape are two separate issues, yes.

But bodily urges can be controlled. Rape culture is much harder to remove entirely, but it still isn't as complicated as thievery and murder.

Indeed. Rape is a real problem, rape culture is bullshit. If anything it shifts blame away from the rapist and onto some nebulous culture which made them do it.
Kosovo is Serbia!

Glorious Homeland wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General