NATION

PASSWORD

Statistics Don't Support Rape Culture

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Firsthome
Senator

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Firsthome » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:36 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Maineiacs wrote:As the father of a teenage daughter, I find much of this thread disturbing. If guys like most of you are what await her, I'd rather she were a lesbian.

It is her life so I guess not much can be done. I mean, I'd really hate for my children to marry outside of their race, but if it does happen; what am I going to do- disown them?

What are races? It's not like she's going to marry a different species
I have a heart of a five year-old...
it's in a jar in my basement

Springer:"I've got better things to do tonight than die"

DYK:Breathing lowers your life expectancy by 50%.

Laerod wrote:That's like pointing out a thread about kittens contains posts about baby cats.
Left: 8.06, Libertarian: 0.6,7 foreign policy: -5.76, culture: -6.26
GENERATION 4: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Tentacles and Grapes » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:36 pm

Firsthome wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:As an 18 year old girl, this thread makes me fear my own safety should I ever have to encounter some of these people.

As a 15 year old male, I feel bad that men rape people....

And that men doing that make people scared...

And that I'm submissive.

You really aren't helping. You're just being creepy. Find a 16 year old Dom and stop talking about it.

Firsthome
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Firsthome » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:36 pm

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes wrote:
Firsthome wrote:
As a 15 year old male, I feel bad that men rape people....

And that men doing that make people scared...

And that I'm submissive.

You really aren't helping. You're just being creepy. Find a 16 year old Dom and stop talking about it.

Sorry...

:(

Laerod wrote:That's like pointing out a thread about kittens contains posts about baby cats.
GENERATION 4: Social experiment. When you see this, add one to the generation and copy this into your signature.

Firsthome
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Firsthome » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:37 pm

And no, I'm too young for that

I'm keeping my "v-card"
Last edited by Firsthome on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Tentacles and Grapes » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Firsthome wrote:And no, I'm too young for that

I'm keeping my "v-card"

Nobody said you had to bang, you just won't shut up about how submissive you are. So go out and prove it to a domineering young lady that you love(?) her very much by way of that submission.

Haktiva
Senator

Founded: Sep 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Haktiva » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Maineiacs wrote:As the father of a teenage daughter, I find much of this thread disturbing. If guys like most of you are what await her, I'd rather she were a lesbian.

As an 18 year old girl, this thread makes me fear my own safety should I ever have to encounter some of these people.

so take some steps to protect yourself. you're not powerless.
All around disagreeable person.

"Personal freedom is a double edged sword though. On the one end, it grants more power to the individual. However, the vast majority of individuals are fuckin idiots, and if certain restraints are not metered down by more responsible members of society, the society quickly degrades into a hedonistic and psychotic cluster fuck."

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Firsthome wrote:What are races? It's not like she's going to marry a different species

Or him. Nevertheless, this isn't something that is up for debate in here. I'm segregationist and that's that. To steer back on topic, I think rape culture definitely exists. However, in holding onto traditionalist ideas such as not believing that women in general are a strong as men on average; one doesn't have to necessarily partake in any victim blaming.
Last edited by Saiwania on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:55 pm

Lesbians get raped, abused, assaulted (largely by other women) about as often as straight women. Well... according to studies that actually look at lesbian IPV, anyway. A lot of studies just don't ask the questions to pick up on them, which is a major problem.

Long story short, your daughter is safest from being raped if she dates nobody, male or female, but she'll probably be sort of unhappy about that.
Last edited by Tahar Joblis on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:57 pm

United States of The One Percent wrote:
The Arctic Kingdom wrote:This thread is going to be a blast

Yeah, a bunch of guys complaining about how bad life is these days for rapists. What's next, how young black men always seem to get in the way of the bullets when white cops happen to be shooting I suppose.

Have any of you known any woman who has been raped? I have. Would you be calling your female friends and relations these kinds of names if they had been raped?

Here's a thought: instead of "dicking around on the Internet" for your information, try talking to a rape victim. Until you have some better information than what you can find on Wikipedia about some topic, how about shutting the fuck up about it?

I'm not complaining about rapists (for all I care they can be treated miserably); I'm complaining about what the definition of rape and sexual harassment has come to be.
Last edited by Sebastianbourg on Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:59 pm

I hope I'm not one of those guys; I'm not a rapist in the making! ;)

EDIT: By one of those guys I mean the ones you believe the be future rapists and molesters.
Last edited by Sebastianbourg on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:08 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:

I hope I'm not one of those guys; I'm not a rapist in the making! ;)

I'd say the same about myself.

I might be the least eloquent person ever, but I can't imagine raping someone; then again this is coming from a family in which my mother was molested and I dated and am friends with women who have been raped before.

EDIT for clarification. Dear God I need sleep...
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

United States of The One Percent
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of The One Percent » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:28 pm

Haktiva wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:As an 18 year old girl, this thread makes me fear my own safety should I ever have to encounter some of these people.

so take some steps to protect yourself. you're not powerless.

Like what, never showing skin above the knee as some here have suggested?

P.S. Have you ever known a woman who was sexually assaulted?
Last edited by United States of The One Percent on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
''There is one intelligence community and one only. And we are all its victims, wherever we live."

"...taking but not giving, ruling but not obeying, telling but not listening, taking life and not giving it. The slayers govern now, without interference; the dreams of mankind have become empty." -- Philip K. Dick

United States of The One Percent
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of The One Percent » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:31 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:I'm not complaining about rapists (for all I care they can be treated miserably); I'm complaining about what the definition of rape and sexual harassment has come to be.

Then I take it you'd favor the concept of positive consent, that is, you don't get to fool around with a woman unless she actually says you can. Wouldn't that pretty much take care of the definition problem? A woman who hasn't said, "yes," to a sexual approach that is then carried out anyway is a victim of sexual harassment. Works for me.

Last edited by United States of The One Percent on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''There is one intelligence community and one only. And we are all its victims, wherever we live."

"...taking but not giving, ruling but not obeying, telling but not listening, taking life and not giving it. The slayers govern now, without interference; the dreams of mankind have become empty." -- Philip K. Dick

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:I'm not complaining about rapists (for all I care they can be treated miserably); I'm complaining about what the definition of rape and sexual harassment has come to be.

Then I take it you'd favor the concept of positive consent, that is, you don't get to fool around with a woman unless she actually says you can. Wouldn't that pretty much take care of the definition problem? A woman who hasn't said, "yes," to a sexual approach that is then carried out anyway is a victim of sexual harassment. Works for me.

I've dated a woman who has been sexually assaulted. We both were very communicative, but I never really asked every moment if I was doing was right or not. However, I did pay attention to her body reactions a lot and learned how she expresses herself non-verbally to make sure I wasn't making her uncomfortable. I did ask her on big things if she was comfortable with it and even explicitly told her that if I ever made her uncomfortable to tell me to stop. She told me to stop a few times and I just backed off and kept talking with her like normal.

It really isn't that hard to put boundaries, but it does take effort from both sides, something I see many people just botching it because they're lazy.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Kalifati Arab shqiptar
Minister

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalifati Arab shqiptar » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:02 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:

I've dated a woman who has been sexually assaulted. We both were very communicative, but I never really asked every moment if I was doing was right or not. However, I did pay attention to her body reactions a lot and learned how she expresses herself non-verbally to make sure I wasn't making her uncomfortable. I did ask her on big things if she was comfortable with it and even explicitly told her that if I ever made her uncomfortable to tell me to stop. She told me to stop a few times and I just backed off and kept talking with her like normal.

It really isn't that hard to put boundaries, but it does take effort from both sides, something I see many people just botching it because they're lazy.

so do you still talk with her

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:08 pm

Kalifati Arab shqiptar wrote:

I do, yea. We're good friends. I broke it off because we couldn't work out our differences in our careers with our relationship so I decided it probably wasn't the best.

But what I said is more or less in support of One Percent's point. That people who are lazy in a relationship to not know their partner well enough tend to fuck up at the very basics which is when does their partner feel comfortable or not. Knowing your partner is important, and there's no excuse to be lazy about not knowing your partner and treating them like a person.

Kalifati Arab shqiptar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalifati Arab shqiptar » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:26 pm

(Image)

I do, yea. We're good friends. I broke it off because we couldn't work out our differences in our careers with our relationship so I decided it probably wasn't the best.

But what I said is more or less in support of One Percent's point. That people who are lazy in a relationship to not know their partner well enough tend to fuck up at the very basics which is when does their partner feel comfortable or not. Knowing your partner is important, and there's no excuse to be lazy about not knowing your partner and treating them like a person.

I am 16, but my gf has a problem in her family, parents problem.
Father cheats on mother, stuff like that. In the first days that i met her, she was shy and really depressed.
Maybe my ladies man skills(girls and boys say that to me a lot), got her in the mood, but I think I worked hard to understand her, to be with her in her problems. Since the day we officially got together, she was the brightest and cutest, most loving girl ever. Too bad, my parents were sent in Canada for Diplomatic mission, still I talk with her, everyday and she always says:
"I will wait for you, even if it takes my whole life to wait.
Of course, she becomes jealous with me when other girls hit on me, but she and I knows, those are just phases for me.
Maybe I am too young but I have a way with girls, even 2 to 6 years older than me, even when I don't want to flirt it looks like flirting and they fall for it.
Last edited by Kalifati Arab shqiptar on Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vamtrl
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vamtrl » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:34 pm

I am 16, but my gf has a problem in her family, parents problem.
Father cheats on mother, stuff like that. In the first days that i met her, she was shy and really depressed.
Maybe my ladies man skills(girls and boys say that to me a lot), got her in the mood, but I think I worked hard to understand her, to be with her in her problems. Since the day we officially got together, she was the brightest and cutest, most loving girl ever. Too bad, my parents were sent in Canada for Diplomatic mission, still I talk with her, everyday and she always says:
Of course, she becomes jealous with me when other girls hit on me, but she and I knows, those are just phases for me.
Maybe I am too young but I have a way with girls, even 2 to 6 years older than me, even when I don't want to flirt it looks like flirting and they fall for it.

lmao leading on a socially crippled girl while you have your phases :lol2:

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:40 pm

Threlizdun wrote:

As an 18 year old girl, this thread makes me fear my own safety should I ever have to encounter some of these people.

Yeah, and there's people like that everywhere. That's the scariest part of it.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:47 pm

1) How do you prove consent? What if she decides she was drunk and her yes isn't valid and decides to sue me? Besides, sometimes sex is spontaneous; it's not rape just spontaneous.
2) There's people claiming chat-up/pick-up lines are sexual harassment! I'm too much of a playboy to use those :p but that's a bit extreme.
3) Well, I had a two-month-long relationship with a woman who claimed she'd been abused by her ex-boyfriend but I cannot verify those claims.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:48 pm

Sebastianbourg wrote:

1) How do you prove consent? What if she decides she was drunk and her yes isn't valid and decides to sue me? Besides, sometimes sex is spontaneous; it's not rape just spontaneous.

It depends on whose side the evidence is on.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Kalifati Arab shqiptar
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalifati Arab shqiptar » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:50 pm

Vamtrl wrote:
Kalifati Arab shqiptar wrote:I am 16, but my gf has a problem in her family, parents problem.

why so mean? at least i have a gf

Vamtrl
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vamtrl » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Vamtrl wrote:

why so mean? at least i have a gf

please I cant... :rofl:

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Vamtrl wrote:
Kalifati Arab shqiptar wrote:why so mean? at least i have a gf

please I cant... :rofl:

Care to explain cause I'm confused :p

Susurruses
Envoy

Founded: Jun 26, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Susurruses » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:
Haktiva wrote:Feminism is largely about making money while changing culture for the worst nowadays. Feminism is the business of professional victims.

Feminism is more complicated and more simple than that.

Simply, feminism is about making sure that women don't get screwed over.

Yes, there are some professional feminists, and some of those professional feminists have a business model of professional victims. Some feminists seem more interested in propagating and sustaining their movement and funding engine than in actually getting things done. But overall, once you sort past the bad actors, scam artists, and occasional raging hate-filled maniac, the movement has a clear mission of trying to make sure that no woman ever gets screwed over for any reason.

The problem, of course, is that sometimes, trying to make sure all women are protected from everything has collateral effects that aren't very nice or fair.

Oh yeah, "professional victims" ; people just love being threatened with rape and murder, don't they?
Were they 'asking for it' ?
Did they provoke it?
What were they wearing or doing before those threats happened?
Oh yeah, they dared to say a word about sexism whilst being a woman.
Naff off.

You do realise statistics regarding false rape reports are available and indicate that the rate of false reporting is far lower than just about any other crime, right?
If I remember rightly, it's between 1% & 3%.
But of course that doesn't prop up your ideological stance that women are just out to malign those poor men with accusations of rape.

Never mind that a fair portion of rapes go unreported, oh no; the real tragedy is a tiny minority of assholes that are in fact not statistically relevant to discussions like this.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General