NATION

PASSWORD

Is NS becoming less tolerant of Religion?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Alliir
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Is NS becoming less tolerant of Religion?

Postby Alliir » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:45 pm

I've noticed lately that more and more threads with seemingly anti-religious topics have been popping up. The moderators also seem to believe that they are acceptable. Though I admit I may be biased, due to being a christian myself, I feel that this is a reasonable subject to bring up. This thread is to discuss the current tolerance toward religion, and possibly to help the situation.

Personally, I feel that Nationstates is becoming less tolerant. It seems that now, every day there is a new thread explaining why religion is stupid, or why it should be rooted out and replaced with atheism. Though I understand that people are entitled to opinions, I feel that this may be going a bit far. I also note that some theists are just as militant, and can cause issues. However, I would expect them to be locked as soon as possible.
I would also like to bring up the fact that I believe neither Atheist nor Theism are inherently bad.
So, to end this, I'd rather this not erupt into an argument. I'm new to this forum, as well, so apologies if I am missing something.
Major things to note about me-
I'm religious.
I'm feminist (Or Egalitarian, I guess)
I'm stupid.

Not necessarily in that order.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Nah, NS has always been like this.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Cyrisnia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyrisnia » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Lets not.
R E D L E G S

【BORN TO ABOLISH】
SOUTH IS A F**K
鬼神 Kill Em All 1859
I am free man
410,757,864,530 DEAD REBS

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:47 pm

I don't think it is just a NationStates thing. I think the world in general is becoming less tolerant of religion.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Alliir
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alliir » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:47 pm

The Liberated Territories wrote:Nah, NS has always been like this.

And that's OK? Shouldn't we work to become more tolerant of other beliefs?

Cyrisnia wrote:Lets not.

Why not? This can't cause issues, at the very least. If anything, it may improve the situation.
I'm religious.
I'm stupid.

Melfar
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Melfar » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:48 pm

And say we did.
Sexism really sucks. But it really sucks that it's freakin' everywhere.
Abortion: Which do you hate more, women or children?
Seriously though, I'm for a woman's right to choose.
I have no problem with people having religions, but don't shove it down my throat.
"No, you don't understand: Edgar is the one in the hole." -Ryan Haywood
"I'm going cakeless." -Ray Narvaez, Jr.

Flynt. Coal?
Interests: Music, Guitar, Video Games, Achievements, Green, Wrestling
It's amazing how much a lesbian who likes Nirvana can change your entire view on the world.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Alliir wrote:And that's OK? Shouldn't we work to become more tolerant of other beliefs?

No we should not. NS is indeed quite tolerant enough when it comes to these things. Remember, tolerating something only means that we put up with it. And we do. You do not see anyone here declaring that all believers should be banned from the forum or anything like that. As long as they stay in their corner and not bug the rest of us we are fine to not try and convert them or throw them out. And that is all you can and should ever ask for.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Alliir
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alliir » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Corrian wrote:I don't think it is just a NationStates thing. I think the world in general is becoming less tolerant of religion.

True, but that's to be expected at this point. However, more tightly-knit communities (Such as NS) I would expect to be a bit less divided on subjects such as this.
I'm religious.
I'm stupid.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:51 pm

NS has always been like this, AFAIK. Of course, when you consider all the scandals involving religion lately, one can actually see why it would seem more people are being intolerant, but I think nothing's changed much.

I'm not a religious person. In fact, I tend to side with atheism in some points. But honestly, I try not to generalize. Some religious people are poisonous, while others aren't. Religions have two sides, a bad side and a good side. We shouldn't deny this. With the good, there is the bad.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Corrian wrote:I don't think it is just a NationStates thing. I think the world in general is becoming less tolerant of religion.

I was going to make a big speech about this, but this makes considerably more sense.

Seems as though the world as a whole is becoming less and less tolerant of religion, for better or worse.

Besides, the threads about how "Islam is evil" or whatever are actually pretty few and far between.

The problem with NS as a whole is that most of us are actually pretty reasonable, tolerant people, but the the bad eggs make us all look like jerks.

That's just my two cents, though.
Last edited by New Grestin on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

Alliir
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alliir » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Alliir wrote:And that's OK? Shouldn't we work to become more tolerant of other beliefs?

No we should not. NS is indeed quite tolerant enough when it comes to these things. Remember, tolerating something only means that we put up with it. And we do. You do not see anyone here declaring that all believers should be banned from the forum or anything like that. As long as they stay in their corner and not bug the rest of us we are fine to not try and convert them or throw them out. And that is all you can and should ever ask for.

But they aren't in their corner. There are two anti-religion threads active as of now.
Last edited by Alliir on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm religious.
I'm stupid.

The Liberated Territories
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby The Liberated Territories » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Alliir wrote:
The Liberated Territories wrote:Nah, NS has always been like this.

And that's OK? Shouldn't we work to become more tolerant of other beliefs?

Why not? This can't cause issues, at the very least. If anything, it may improve the situation.

Maybe. People can say whatever they want. No one has to accept it.
Left Wing Market Anarchism

Yes, I am back(ish)

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Alliir wrote:But they aren't in their corner. Two anti-religion threads went up within a week.

And of the general NS population what percentage took part in posting there? And which part of those posts were actively anti religious?
Last edited by Purpelia on Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Alliir
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alliir » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Alliir wrote:But they aren't in their corner. Two anti-religion threads went up within a week.

And of the general NS population what percentage took part in posting there? And which part of those posts were actively anti religious?

The issue is less with the amount of people within them, and the fact that they have been left to survive.
I'm religious.
I'm stupid.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Less tolerant of political religion, to be sure.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Case sample inconclusive.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Alliir wrote:
Purpelia wrote:No we should not. NS is indeed quite tolerant enough when it comes to these things. Remember, tolerating something only means that we put up with it. And we do. You do not see anyone here declaring that all believers should be banned from the forum or anything like that. As long as they stay in their corner and not bug the rest of us we are fine to not try and convert them or throw them out. And that is all you can and should ever ask for.

But they aren't in their corner. There are two anti-religion threads active as of now.

Maybe there should be an "Atheist discussion thread" or "Antitheist discussion thread", like there is for some religions, too.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Kelinfort wrote:Less tolerant of political religion, to be sure.

So like Reagan worship?
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:56 pm

I think people in general are tired of religious people being hypocrites.
The religious can't help it. They have set a code of conduct they can't attain.
NS has never really been friendly to religion. It tolerates it, but certainly doesn't accept it
Also, it doesn't help that many religious posters repeat the same old and tired arguments over and over.
It gets really annoying, really quickly.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:56 pm

Jute wrote:
Alliir wrote:

Maybe there should be an "Atheist discussion thread" or "Antitheist discussion thread", like there is for some religions, too.

There has been several versions they all typically die off (not hard to wonder why).

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:57 pm

Alliir wrote:
Purpelia wrote:And of the general NS population what percentage took part in posting there? And which part of those posts were actively anti religious?

The issue is less with the amount of people within them, and the fact that they have been left to survive.

And this is where we disagree. There is no issue to be had until things escalate into a massively supported forum wide pogrom or something similar. A few people mouthing off from time to time is completely inconsequential.

Alliir
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alliir » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:57 pm

Jute wrote:
Alliir wrote:

I'd be perfectly OK with an atheist thread. And I'd be against an "anti-atheist" thread, but I don't know of any.
I'm religious.
I'm stupid.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:58 pm

Alliir wrote:
Purpelia wrote:And of the general NS population what percentage took part in posting there? And which part of those posts were actively anti religious?

Well, it's not like Moderation is going to immediately kill the thread simply because it has a different view.

In fact, if you look at most of the anti-religion threads, you'll note that the people who are spewing hateful vitriol are stamped out pretty quickly.
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

Bojikami
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bojikami » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:58 pm

It's always been this way.
Be gay, do crime.
23 year old nonbinary trans woman(She/They), also I'm a Marxist-Leninist.
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.33

Alliir
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Alliir » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:59 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Alliir wrote:

And this is where we disagree. There is no issue to be had until things escalate into a massively supported forum wide pogrom or something similar. A few people mouthing off from time to time is completely inconsequential.

"Time to time".
These threads last until they reach 500 pages, and then a new one is born. It's a constant stream of them.
I'm religious.
I'm stupid.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General