NATION

PASSWORD

Which Religion is more harmful? Islam or Christianity?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Fionnuala_Saoirse
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fionnuala_Saoirse » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:47 am

Salus Maior wrote:
Fionnuala_Saoirse wrote:
The IRA weren't a Catholic terrorist organisation. They were paramilitaries who just so happened to be predominantly ethnically catholic.

I'm not sure how someone can be "ethnically" Catholic :P

Fortunately the world isn't based on your ignorance.
Stupid Telegrams Received :

- "Isn't your name the name of the female Branch of the IRA" -- Benian Republic

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:32 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:Yeah, they're all kinds of mean.

I'd don't particularly love Harris, but I'm going to defend him for a moment, because I'm pretty sure that isn't what he actually argued. I'm not going to go trawling through magazines youtube to find out, but if I remember right he was saying that Creationists and right-wing Christians generally are in some ways easier to deal with, because they actually believe what they profess to believe. Whereas liberal Christians are often impossible to pin down as to what they believe. He was saying that what fundamentalists do is, in some ways, more honest. I don't know if he mentioned WBC in particular, but I don't think he was advocating that they're good people.

And if he was, he can fuck himself.

My point is that even in their honesty, they're fuckwads. There's no other way to describe WBC but as a cluster of fuckwads. And I do hope Harris wasn't implying they're good, because if he is, he's just as disgusting as WBC is.

I'm one of those folks who make the best out of my situations, this sometimes applies to my opinions of other people. The Westboro baptist church is a group of bigoted homophobic assholes.
But they seem that way because they take Christianity seriously. They are what Christians were like right after the time they were persecuted.
Signed, Creepoc Infinite
Secularism should be implemented everywhere at all times, get god out of politics. Get god away from impressionable children while you're at it.
check out my region, here.
Star Wars:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=328953

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:33 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:Yeah, they're all kinds of mean.

I'd don't particularly love Harris, but I'm going to defend him for a moment, because I'm pretty sure that isn't what he actually argued. I'm not going to go trawling through magazines youtube to find out, but if I remember right he was saying that Creationists and right-wing Christians generally are in some ways easier to deal with, because they actually believe what they profess to believe. Whereas liberal Christians are often impossible to pin down as to what they believe. He was saying that what fundamentalists do is, in some ways, more honest. I don't know if he mentioned WBC in particular, but I don't think he was advocating that they're good people.

And if he was, he can fuck himself.

My point is that even in their honesty, they're fuckwads. There's no other way to describe WBC but as a cluster of fuckwads. And I do hope Harris wasn't implying they're good, because if he is, he's just as disgusting as WBC is.

I don't understand why sincerity all of a sudden gives people a pass.

They're still causing harm, now they're just believing they're doing good.

Here I thought pride was a sin...
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:04 am

UBS wrote:Neither,Judaism is the biggest problem, especially when they have a whole country which gives them great power to either use wisely or abuse.

Given the messiah hasn't restored Israel that example is irrelevant.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

The greater holy roman empire
Envoy

Founded: Oct 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The greater holy roman empire » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:06 am

Creepoc Infinite wrote:I saw a topic get brought up On my "does god exist" thread, so I decided to make another one exploring this topic. Personally I think Christianity is more harmful.
It is more widespread and one of the main problems I see is that Christianity is built partly around the desire to go to heaven after Jesus comes back and destroys the world.
They look forward to Armageddon.

Although they aren't as violent as Muslims, many Christians tend to be just as bigoted as Muslims. Towards, gays, atheists, even blacks still.
They are responsible for many world atrocities, although Islam is as well, and I'm sure Hindus and Zoroastrians were too, but the two big ones seem to have the most bloody history.

What do you guys think?

Islam

Stagnant Axon Terminal
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Stagnant Axon Terminal » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:08 am

The greater holy roman empire wrote:
Creepoc Infinite wrote:I saw a topic get brought up On my "does god exist" thread, so I decided to make another one exploring this topic. Personally I think Christianity is more harmful.
It is more widespread and one of the main problems I see is that Christianity is built partly around the desire to go to heaven after Jesus comes back and destroys the world.

Although they aren't as violent as Muslims, many Christians tend to be just as bigoted as Muslims. Towards, gays, atheists, even blacks still.
They are responsible for many world atrocities, although Islam is as well, and I'm sure Hindus and Zoroastrians were too, but the two big ones seem to have the most bloody history.

What do you guys think?

Islam

is this necessary
TET's resident state assessment exam
My sworn enemy is the Toyota 4Runner
I scream a lot.
Also, I'm gonna fuck your girlfriend.
Nanatsu No Tsuki wrote:the fetus will never eat cake if you abort it

Cu Math wrote:Axon is like a bear with a PH.D. She debates at first, then eats your face.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:THE MAN'S PENIS HAS LEFT THE VAGINA. IT'S THE UTERUS'S TURN TO SHINE.

Svatantra Mulukama
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Svatantra Mulukama » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:09 am

What do you guys think?

Islam

Please, do explain.
Centre-Left Social Democrat, Bisexual, Agnostic Buddhist

Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.75
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.00

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:11 am

What do you guys think?

Islam

Alex Trebek I call "What is bullshit?" for $400 please.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Sacred United Rome
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Sacred United Rome » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:12 am

We need good old crusades again to get rid of Islam once and for all.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:16 am

Sacred United Rome wrote:We need good old crusades again to get rid of Islam once and for all.

I never thought a hipster would ever think the Crusades were cool.

But, here we are, in the smelly armpit of society, wondering where we went wrong.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Svatantra Mulukama
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Svatantra Mulukama » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:18 am

Sacred United Rome wrote:We need good old crusades again to get rid of Islam once and for all.

Good old crusades? Because death and destruction is good, amiright?
Centre-Left Social Democrat, Bisexual, Agnostic Buddhist

Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.75
Social Liberal/Authoritarian: -6.00

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:20 am

The Rich Port wrote:

I never thought a hipster would ever think the Crusades were cool.

But, here we are, in the smelly armpit of society, wondering where we went wrong.

Well then..just how did you of all people end up in demon land?

Atheists are supposed to have their souls sent back on earth ( to live life again as a new person) until they choose an afterlife destination.

I am guessing you sold your soul didn't you?

I better contact Death's lawyers they won't be happy.

Vindex Nation
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vindex Nation » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:24 am

What do you guys think?

Most Harmful??? Are you kidding! I could care less if you are an atheist or not but now you are being arrogant! You call religion evil but that is way to broad. Sure bad things can come from Christianity and bad things can come from Islam but likewise bad things can come from Atheism and any other beliefs or views. You need to weigh the odds on the evils and good deads of a group to really determine how they are. Look around you and you will see good things comming from Christianity everywhere, hospitals, charities, and many many many many other orginazations helping people locally and abroad. Yet all you can do is criticize it because you don't believe and you think that you are supperoir to them because you are not involved in a religion. And a quote from George W. Bush (a person you probably hate but I'm going to give the quote to you anyways.) The day he declaired war on terrorism he said "Islam is a peaceful faith, and the extremists who threaten our country are traitors to there own faith."
Proud Founder of The Republic Nations

~Conservative Libertarian~

`

"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~ Calvin Coolidge

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." ~Ronald Reagan

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." ~William F. Buckley, Jr.

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” ~Ronald Regan

“A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.” ~ Robert Frost

Fanosolia
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am

The words, "you can't kill an idea" come to mind. along with "what the hell does that solve?"
This user is a Canadian who identifies as Social Market Liberal with shades of Civil Libertarianism.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:26 am

This thread has done been broken.

It just might be a sign.

Fanosolia
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fanosolia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:28 am

Benuty wrote:This thread has done been broken.

It just might be a sign.

Oh and I thought it was a glitch on my I pad XD
Do this happen often?
This user is a Canadian who identifies as Social Market Liberal with shades of Civil Libertarianism.

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:30 am

Vindex Nation wrote:

What do you guys think?

Most Harmful??? Are you kidding! I could care less if you are an atheist or not but now you are being arrogant! You call religion evil but that is way to broad. Sure bad things can come from Christianity and bad things can come from Islam but likewise bad things can come from Atheism and any other beliefs or views. You need to weigh the odds on the evils and good deads of a group to really determine how they are. Look around you and you will see good things comming from Christianity everywhere, hospitals, charities, and many many many many other orginazations helping people locally and abroad. Yet all you can do is criticize it because you don't believe and you think that you are supperoir to them because you are not involved in a religion. And a quote from George W. Bush (a person you probably hate but I'm going to give the quote to you anyways.) The day he declaired war on terrorism he said "Islam is a peaceful faith, and the extremists who threaten our country are traitors to there own faith."

Before you make accusations of me making arrogant assumptions, perhaps you shouldn't make assumptions about me.
I acknowledge that good stuff comes from Christianity, but that bad outwit eights the good in my opinion. And all those hospitals, clinics, charities and so on, that churches are responsible for, that's not something that you need Christianity to do.
An atheist is just as capable of starting charities and so on.
The reason I don't think it counts is that it's not exclusive to Christianity, so what ideas, exclusive to Christianity, or religion, are good?
Signed, Creepoc Infinite
Secularism should be implemented everywhere at all times, get god out of politics. Get god away from impressionable children while you're at it.

Indira
Minister

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Indira » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:35 am

The answer? Niether. The FOLLOWERS are by far the more harmful and I suspect they would be harmful WHATEVER their religion was.

Yalos
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yalos » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:37 am

Indira wrote:The answer? Niether. The FOLLOWERS are by far the more harmful and I suspect they would be harmful WHATEVER their religion was.

This.

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:51 am

Creepoc Infinite wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I'm one of those folks who make the best out of my situations, this sometimes applies to my opinions of other people. The Westboro baptist church is a group of bigoted homophobic assholes.
But they seem that way because they take Christianity seriously. They are what Christians were like right after the time they were persecuted.

Like hell they are. The early church fathers were persecuted, continually either humbled or martyred for their faith. They aided sinners of all stripes, including homosexuals, on the long road towards salvation. If they were to protest outside the funeral of an emperor saying he was in hell, that would have been as good as a collective declaration of war against the Roman Empire and a much more intensified persecution would have taken place, and it is exceptionally unlikely they would have gained any level of traction if they carried a message anywhere close to that of the WBC.

I'll say this much, you've spouted completely inarticulate, unrehearsed nonsense from the first post, you are taking situations that could only hold any level of reality inside your own mind and holds no bounds with historical accuracies. I get that you are angry with something, but that does not give you the right to pain others, which regardless of bias will have some historical idea of how things actually were with what you may have hoped it to be. I'd love for you to make contrasts between Fred Phelps and Ignatious, or Clement, or any of the later Greek or Latin church fathers, but at this point I'd be surprised if you held any level of knowledge about them because the parallel you made is so..... wildly outside the realm of reality that it is not even funny. You got plenty of strict Apostles, Paul was not quick to mince words against those which had added to scriptures. Calling them anathema which is mildly put it a strong condemnation, but he did not ape around for the sake of doing it which is core practice within the WBC. Sad as it is, they do what they can to sustain the media attention, which despite the minor size of the group, is all to willing to give it a spotlight.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Vindex Nation
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vindex Nation » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:52 am

Creepoc Infinite wrote:
Vindex Nation wrote:

Before you make accusations of me making arrogant assumptions, perhaps you shouldn't make assumptions about me.
I acknowledge that good stuff comes from Christianity, but that bad outwit eights the good in my opinion. And all those hospitals, clinics, charities and so on, that churches are responsible for, that's not something that you need Christianity to do.
The reason I don't think it counts is that it's not exclusive to Christianity, so what ideas, exclusive to Christianity, or religion, are good?

Than how come they have not? I am sure there are small ones but Christians hold all of the major ones and I guarantee that there will always be more charities, hospitals, and originations held by Christians than atheists will Ever hold.
Proud Founder of The Republic Nations

~Conservative Libertarian~

`

"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~ Calvin Coolidge

"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so." ~Ronald Reagan

"Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." ~William F. Buckley, Jr.

“I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” ~Ronald Regan

“A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel.” ~ Robert Frost

Summerset Plains
Spokesperson

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Summerset Plains » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:57 am

The United Kingdoms of Austinarya wrote:

What do you guys think?

If you mean the KKK when talking about racism in Christianity then remember the fact that they hate Jews even though Jesus was the king of the Jews and the fact that they support Hitler even though Hitler was Neo Pagan/Odinist and supported Islam and killed Christians in the holocaust.

Muslims are bigoted to gays too, even more so than us Christians, whereas we want to ban gay marriage and gay adoption they want to behead them, they are also very Anti Semitic, just compare the Qu'ran to Mein Kampf or the newpapers in Nazi Germany to that of Saudi Arabia both show Jews as greedy and corrupt. Islam also has no respect for human rights, it has no respect for free speech, forces women to wear burkhas and the quran gives permission to a man to beat or rape his wife or to molest children just like the prophet Muhammad did, Muhammad was a warlord and pedophile yet they consider him the perfect man? It's disgusting, you get Muslims who believe this neo nazi stuff about holocaust denial.

Pretty sure you cant read Arabic, if you could.. You wouldn't get that interpretation. And the Muslims did not rape... If you think this you must be misinformed. Now the Extremists do but do the others? Obviously you and the others who cant read the translation of any book must look at other's false lies and follow... But we surely cannot blame the donkey for laughing at the falling man
RPGers wrote:
Nord Amour wrote:Bump

Don't bump after three minutes

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:59 am

Vindex Nation wrote:
Creepoc Infinite wrote:Before you make accusations of me making arrogant assumptions, perhaps you shouldn't make assumptions about me.

Than how come they have not? I am sure there are small ones but Christians hold all of the major ones and I guarantee that there will always be more charities, hospitals, and originations held by Christians than atheists will Ever hold.

Not because they care more, I know atheists who you could say care more than many Christians.
Atheists don't have a massive, rich community of people who think the same as each other. Christians do, they have more resources, not to mention that they also have more people on their side. All these variable factor into why you'll probably see more Christian charities. Understand that the majority of Americans are Christians.
However, regardless, atheists, Muslims, really anyone, can do humanitarian stuff, it has little to do with Christianity. Christians may have religious motivations, but atheists also have their own motives, regardless, humanitarian stuff has onto thing to do with exclusive ideas.
Signed, Creepoc Infinite

Summerset Plains
Spokesperson

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Summerset Plains » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:00 am

Also if you think the Quran is about rape and pillage i advise you to go look at the translation. And in Islam we say that both Christianity and Judaism are the same. And that we Muslims are Christians and Jews too. Also i don't get what the answer is? Islam and Christianity are both Equally harmful when extremists are there.
RPGers wrote:
Nord Amour wrote:Bump

Don't bump after three minutes

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:00 am

Vindex Nation wrote:
Creepoc Infinite wrote:Before you make accusations of me making arrogant assumptions, perhaps you shouldn't make assumptions about me.

Uh... no shit that if Christians are the majority of the world's population there are going to be more charities and hospitals run by Christians. That's a given. That doesn't refute his point at all.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General