NATION

PASSWORD

Ministers threatened with arrest

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is it legal to arrest the ministers?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes : 374

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:39 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Forzona wrote:Right...

Yes, I know I am.
I've been arrested a couple of times and have never served jailtime.

Considering I'm roommates with a Criminal Lawyer (and talk frequently with them), I do, too.
You were probably bailed out by someone, or by a bail company (Forgot the real name for it)
Revising profile.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:40 pm

Amacia wrote:
Nasal Bondage wrote:There are government classifications of religious organizations. The Hitching Post was not on the government registry of religious organizations.
No, it's not inherently religious. Marriage is not religious, it's a legal act that happens to be commonly performed in a religious setting.

The type of marriage they perform is inherently religious.

Not relevant.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Nasal Bondage
Envoy

Founded: Apr 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nasal Bondage » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:41 pm

Forzona wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Yes, I know I am.
I've been arrested a couple of times and have never served jailtime.

Considering I'm roommates with a Criminal Lawyer (and talk frequently with them), I do, too.
You were probably bailed out by someone, or by a bail company (Forgot the real name for it)

You must not talk about anything related to law, or I'd imagine that you would know what jailtime is.
My mom has been arrested. She's never served jailtime. She was never bailed out.
And even if she was, that doesn't count as jailtime.
Last edited by Nasal Bondage on Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puppet of The Cosmos

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:45 pm

Forzona wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:That isn't at all what is being suggested.

They are being arrested for not supporting same-sex marriages, which is against what it says in their Bible. By forcing them to do this, you are making them commit an action that is against what their religion says.

Except, this entire thing is a hoax. A false-flag by anti-freedom advocates to get reasonable people on their side.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:47 pm

Nasal Bondage wrote:
Forzona wrote:Considering I'm roommates with a Criminal Lawyer (and talk frequently with them), I do, too.

You must not talk about anything related to law, or I'd imagine that you would know what jailtime is.
My mom has been arrested. She's never served jailtime. She was never bailed out.

Did you not read my earlier posts? I said I got mixed up, jailtime is different, but you still serve in jail UNTIL THE TRIAL unless someone bails you out.
Revising profile.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:48 pm

Forzona wrote:
Nasal Bondage wrote:You must not talk about anything related to law, or I'd imagine that you would know what jailtime is.

Did you not read my earlier posts? I said I got mixed up, jailtime is different, but you still serve in jail UNTIL THE TRIAL unless someone bails you out.

No actually you are detained, there is a difference, and that is what happens for every case.
Just A Little though

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:49 pm

Forzona wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Again read the thread, they are not being threatened with jail time.

"Ministers threatened with arrest"
“Right now they are at risk of being prosecuted,”

Yeah, the OP's an intellectually dishonest liar.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Nasal Bondage
Envoy

Founded: Apr 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nasal Bondage » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:50 pm

Forzona wrote:
Nasal Bondage wrote:You must not talk about anything related to law, or I'd imagine that you would know what jailtime is.

No, you don't serve in jail. Serving in jail is spending time in jail that you have been sentenced to by the judge after the trial.
Puppet of The Cosmos

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:51 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Forzona wrote:Did you not read my earlier posts? I said I got mixed up, jailtime is different, but you still serve in jail UNTIL THE TRIAL unless someone bails you out.

No actually you are detained, there is a difference, and that is what happens for every case.

You still are confined in a cell, albeit in an entirely different building. They both convey the point I'm trying to get across.
Revising profile.

Forzona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Forzona » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:51 pm

Nasal Bondage wrote:
Forzona wrote:Did you not read my earlier posts? I said I got mixed up, jailtime is different, but you still serve in jail UNTIL THE TRIAL unless someone bails you out.

No, you don't serve in jail. Serving in jail is spending time in jail that you have been sentenced to by the judge after the trial.

As I said, you are still confined in a cell, which has the same experience as jail, though the legal standards around it are very different.
Revising profile.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Amacia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
It's their choice to close it. When it comes to the public good in the matters of a public business; there are rules to follow. Your Religious beliefs don't give you the ability to ignore them.

Whether it's for-profit or non-profit is irrelevant. It's a religious organization, and falls within its exemption.

"Muh religion" doesn't work as an excuse to be exempt from other laws, so why should it apply to discrimination?

Also, whether or not its for-profit is totally relevant.

Amacia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:54 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Amacia wrote:The type of marriage they perform is inherently religious.

Not relevant.

FOUND THE ORDINANCE!
9.56.040: EXCEPTIONS:
A. Notwithstanding any other provision herein, nothing in this Chapter is intended to alter or
abridge other rights, protections, or privileges secured under state and/or federal law. This
ordinance shall be construed and applied in a manner consistent with First Amendment
jurisprudence regarding the freedom of speech and exercise of religion.
B. This chapter does not apply to:
1. Religious corporations, associations, educational institutions, or societies.
2. An expressive association whose employment of a person protected by this chapter
would significantly burden the association’s rights of expressive association under Boy
Scouts of America v. Dale, 530 U.S. 640 (2000).
3. The United States government, any of its departments or agencies, or any corporation
wholly owned by it; or the state of Idaho or any of its departments, agencies, or political
subdivisions, other than the City of Coeur d’Alene.
"Adolf Hitler as chancellor of Germany is a horror; Adolf Hitler at a town meeting would be an asshole.” - Karl Hess
"If alot of pepol love ech other, the world wud be a better plase to live" - Tommy Wiseau
"Who the hell do you think I am?!" - Kamina
"If I ever get anal polyps I'll know what to name them" - Saul Goodman
"Admiration is a state furthest from understanding" - Sosuke Aizen
"In a land where ignorance of the law is no excuse, changing the law is no remedy for ignorance." - greed and death

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:56 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Amacia wrote:Whether it's for-profit or non-profit is irrelevant. It's a religious organization, and falls within its exemption.

"Muh religion" doesn't work as an excuse to be exempt from other laws, so why should it apply to discrimination?

They are providing a religious service. Why would gay people want to be married by these people in the first place?
"Adolf Hitler as chancellor of Germany is a horror; Adolf Hitler at a town meeting would be an asshole.” - Karl Hess
"If alot of pepol love ech other, the world wud be a better plase to live" - Tommy Wiseau
"In a land where ignorance of the law is no excuse, changing the law is no remedy for ignorance." - greed and death

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Amacia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Not relevant.

FOUND THE ORDINANCE!
A. Notwithstanding any other provision herein, nothing in this Chapter is intended to alter or
abridge other rights, protections, or privileges secured under state and/or federal law. This
ordinance shall be construed and applied in a manner consistent with First Amendment
1. Religious corporations, associations, educational institutions, or societies.
2. An expressive association whose employment of a person protected by this chapter
would significantly burden the association’s rights of expressive association under Boy
3. The United States government, any of its departments or agencies, or any corporation
wholly owned by it; or the state of Idaho or any of its departments, agencies, or political

Was your goal to prove that he's right that it's irrelevant?
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Amacia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Not relevant.

FOUND THE ORDINANCE!

And if they had been registered as any of section B1, they would have been exempt...which by the way they changed when the ban on gay marriage was lifted. The registered themselves as a religious corporation, and then made a big stink. there was literally not one homosexual couple suing them. Nor was there any arrest or threatening of jail time.
Just A Little though

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Amacia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

They are providing a religious service. Why would gay people want to be married by these people in the first place?

Considering no gay people actually existed in this case, this question makes no sense.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Amacia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Since no one is suing these minsters apparently no on was.
Just A Little though

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:58 pm

Amacia wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

For profit.

Also, same-sex couples (like LGBT individuals, such as myself) can be, and often are, religious.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:00 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Amacia wrote:They are providing a religious service. Why would gay people want to be married by these people in the first place?

This, too, but I decided that actually answering the question, even if its based on false facts, would be a good way to go. That way, their point is doubly invalid.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:02 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

This, too, but I decided that actually answering the question, even if its based on false facts, would be a good way to go. That way, their point is doubly invalid.

Go ahead. The other option is maybe they like the location.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:11 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Amacia wrote:FOUND THE ORDINANCE!

And if they had been registered as any of section B1, they would have been exempt...which by the way they changed when the ban on gay marriage was lifted. The registered themselves as a religious corporation, and then made a big stink. there was literally not one homosexual couple suing them. Nor was there any arrest or threatening of jail time.

Yet you still they should face punishment?

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:12 pm

Amacia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Leave Charlie alone.

Amacia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Amacia » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:13 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Amacia wrote:Yet you still they should face punishment?

Leave Charlie alone.

That's what most people are arguing, that they should be punished.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:14 pm

Amacia wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Since they are now registered as a religious organization, no. As a business yes.
Just A Little though

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:14 pm

Amacia wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Leave Charlie alone.

That's what most people are arguing, that they should be punished.

No, we aren't. We're arguing under the theoretical premise that the OP isn't full of shit. If you don't understand that blatantly obvious fact, that's your own problem.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General