NATION

PASSWORD

Detroit woman shot and killed for not giving phone number.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:00 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
T Roosevelt wrote:You don't have to ask for that, tell her to give you her number.

At which point she thinks you are an ass and walks away...

Men don't have to stop walking when she decides to start; walk with her.
Economic Left/Right: 4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 9.08

Click here and be a Rough Rider.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

Saarth
Envoy

Founded: Jul 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Saarth » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:03 pm

While this was sad, it was a very isolated event and your OP was offensive to me. To state that all of society, all of it,is strutted to favor men is ridiculous.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:04 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
At which point she thinks you are an ass and walks away...

Men don't have to stop walking when she decides to start; walk with her.

Ah then she goes to whoever is controlling the place (bartender, security guard, whatever) and tells the guard that this person is not leaving her alone. At which point said male will be forced to leave said establishment. If there is no on like that around, a call to the cops is in order. Should said person continue to stalk said woman, charges will of course be filed.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:06 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Again at which point she thinks you are a jerk and walks away. There is no outright refusal there, she just walks away. (I have done so to exactly that comment). I have also ensured that I was then in an area where said person would not bother me.

That's a potential out but you're acting like it's the only possible course of action, that's just not the case and if you're not just on the street it's not particularly attractive. I've heard of a woman getting dragged halfway out of a club by someone who mistook her for someone else because telling him not to do that might be awkward.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:09 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
Again at which point she thinks you are a jerk and walks away. There is no outright refusal there, she just walks away. (I have done so to exactly that comment). I have also ensured that I was then in an area where said person would not bother me.

That's a potential out but you're acting like it's the only possible course of action, that's just not the case and if you're not just on the street it's not particularly attractive. I've heard of a woman getting dragged halfway out of a club by someone who mistook her for someone else because telling him not to do that might be awkward.

So have I, that does not mean there is no way to rectify the situation. You said it closes down options because it is an order, I say there are plenty of options that do not involve a direct no.
Just A Little though

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
So have I, that does not mean there is no way to rectify the situation. You said it closes down options because it is an order, I say there are plenty of options that do not involve a direct no.

I didn't say that there was no way to rectify the situation I said it increased transaction costs. Those other options become less attractive and that means It's an effective tactic. It's also a dick move.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:16 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
T Roosevelt wrote:Men don't have to stop walking when she decides to start; walk with her.

Ah then she goes to whoever is controlling the place (bartender, security guard, whatever) and tells the guard that this person is not leaving her alone. At which point said male will be forced to leave said establishment. If there is no on like that around, a call to the cops is in order. Should said person continue to stalk said woman, charges will of course be filed.

Said male did nothing wrong by trying to get her to submit if she's not married or loyal to another man. A woman should carry a gun and if she's not interested in submitting to a man, she should be allowed to defend herself. If she wants absolutely nothing to do with him, she'll pull the trigger on that creep or beat him physically. The police have actual criminals to bust.
Last edited by T Roosevelt on Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

Vamtrl
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vamtrl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:21 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/26719319/mass-shooting-kills-mother-of-three-wounds-five-others

Men, whenever you question why we don't tell you why we aren't interested, this is why. Whenever we "lead you on", this is why.

This is why women fear men. This is why we avoid you in the street, in the club, everywhere. Because you might decide to shoot us.

I bet this woman encountered hundreds of unsolicited requests for her phone number over the years. However, it only took one pissed off guy to decide that her refusal warranted the death penalty to end her life, and leave another man without a fiancé, and 3 children without a mother.

So NSG, what say you? Is this yet another example of the way our culture believes men are entitled to women, or is this simply a tragic, crazy once-off.

please. :rofl:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:32 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Ultimately, telephones are to blame.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:15 am

T Roosevelt wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Said male did nothing wrong by trying to get her to submit if she's not married or loyal to another man. A woman should carry a gun and if she's not interested in submitting to a man, she should be allowed to defend herself. If she wants absolutely nothing to do with him, she'll pull the trigger on that creep or beat him physically. The police have actual criminals to bust.

Said male was harassing her, which is illegal. Since she was not in immediate danger, using a gun would have put her in jail, instead of him. Also, did you just advocate murder? Considering he is committing an actual crime...
Just A Little though

The Joseon Dynasty
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Joseon Dynasty » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:11 am

I suppose it's a uniquely male way to respond to rejection, and I wouldn't chalk up the recurrence of rejected men hurting people to statistical noise. But I'm not so sure of the implication that you ought to therefore be really scared of men. We need to keep in mind that these incidents are still overwhelmingly unlikely. It's sort of like being really scared of black people because they're statistically significantly more likely to commit violent crime. The factual basis is there for it and we're frequently exposed to it in the media, but the probability that a randomly drawn black person is going to hurt you is very, very low, so much so that behaving as though they're a threat is probably more damaging to how you function in society than it is helpful at keeping you safe.
Last edited by The Joseon Dynasty on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • No, I'm not Korean. I'm British and as white as the Queen's buttocks.
  • Bio: I'm a PhD student in Statistics. Interested in all sorts of things. Currently getting into statistical signal processing for brain imaging. Currently co-authoring a paper on labour market dynamics, hopefully branching off into a test of the Markov property for labour market transition rates.

Rhodisia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodisia » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:47 am

Saint Jade IV wrote:
Men, whenever you question why we don't tell you why we aren't interested, this is why. Whenever we "lead you on", this is why.

This is why women fear men. This is why we avoid you in the street, in the club, everywhere. Because you might decide to shoot us.

Nope. Male gun owner here. I'm responsible with them. Please avoid making broad generalizations about men and gun owners. We aren't a bunch of testosterone-fueled maniacs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pro: Sortition, gold standard, small and efficient government, concise laws, community policing, responsible private gun ownership, school choice, absolutely free market, low taxes, net neutrality, press freedom, etc

Against: Dynasties, fiat currency, excessive bureaucracy, verbose laws, police militarization, gun control, state-only education, crony capitalism, high taxes, net non-neutrality, censorship, empire, etc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:48 am

You would think that women would be taught about the rejection hotline.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:02 am

Neutraligon wrote:
T Roosevelt wrote:Said male did nothing wrong by trying to get her to submit if she's not married or loyal to another man. A woman should carry a gun and if she's not interested in submitting to a man, she should be allowed to defend herself. If she wants absolutely nothing to do with him, she'll pull the trigger on that creep or beat him physically. The police have actual criminals to bust.

Said male was harassing her, which is illegal. Since she was not in immediate danger, using a gun would have put her in jail, instead of him. Also, did you just advocate murder? Considering he is committing an actual crime...

Walking with a woman to persuade her into romance is not harassment. Spending longer time with a woman increases your chances of being her liberator, freeing her from toil, protecting her from degenerates. Attentiveness and small favors are the among the best tools when softening a woman's heart; a man who makes known his love by words is a fool. A man should talk to her, however, words of love must be implied with action, not boldly proclaimed.
Last edited by T Roosevelt on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

Len Hyet
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Len Hyet » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:30 am

Saint Jade IV wrote:http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/26719319/mass-shooting-kills-mother-of-three-wounds-five-others

I bet this woman encountered hundreds of unsolicited requests for her phone number over the years. However, it only took one pissed off guy to decide that her refusal warranted the death penalty to end her life, and leave another man without a fiancé, and 3 children without a mother.

So NSG, what say you? Is this yet another example of the way our culture believes men are entitled to women, or is this simply a tragic, crazy once-off.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/women/marybeth_tinning/index.html

Judging by this one news article, clearly all women are psychopathic baby killers with no morality and should all be lumped together in the same category and feared and hated.
=][= Founder, 1st NSG Irregulars. Our Militia is Well Regulated and Well Lubricated!
On a formerly defunct now re-declared one-man campaign to elevate the discourse of you heathens.
American 2L. No I will not answer your legal question.

Holyrood
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Holyrood » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:38 am

While this is ridiculous, the OP is one of the most confrontational things I've seen in a while. It's Detroit, everyone is afraid that someone will shoot them there. Doesn't matter what sex, colour, etc. The part that really got me was "she was probably asked for her phone number hundreds of times". That's ridiculous, you have no way of knowing this and even so that's an insanely egotistical number. Things like this give feminism a black eye and makes all of us who support feminists look like radicals. Nobody should ever be shot, especially over something so petty, but welcome to Detroit city.

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:31 am

What the hell are you ranting on about? This was probably some 30 yr old psychotic virgin looking for sex. If you really think the majority of men are as crazy enough as this asshole then I don't think any guy would want to be in a relationship with you.
Last edited by Chernoslavia on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:33 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Ultimately, telephones are to blame.

No....numbers are. Ban numbers!
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Laerod wrote:
Faschist Deutsch Reich wrote:*Looks at title and sees Detroit*
*Thinks to himself that this is nothing new*

I think the OP is a little harsh on us men TBH. Most of us aren't going to act like this, but I could be wrong.

That's the second case of murder because of rejection that we've heard of this year. That's discounting all the unreported cases that amount to "nothing more" than verbal abuse. The OP is utterly correct in pointing out that "he might murder me if I reject him outright" is a legitimate concern because there's no way to tell if the guy asking is that one guy out of a larger statistical number that will murder her. It's like when I come across foxes; I have to treat them as though they have rabies even if none of them do because the consequences of not doing so are just too great if you end up being wrong.

That's a terrible way to think. So what are you suppose to do just accept his request for your number out of fear that he might hurt you? Women should not be afraid to say no. If somebody is hitting on you and your not interested, then have the common sense to refuse. Just don't be a jerk about it and tell him how gross he looks.
Last edited by Chernoslavia on Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

T Roosevelt
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby T Roosevelt » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:42 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
Laerod wrote:That's the second case of murder because of rejection that we've heard of this year. That's discounting all the unreported cases that amount to "nothing more" than verbal abuse. The OP is utterly correct in pointing out that "he might murder me if I reject him outright" is a legitimate concern because there's no way to tell if the guy asking is that one guy out of a larger statistical number that will murder her. It's like when I come across foxes; I have to treat them as though they have rabies even if none of them do because the consequences of not doing so are just too great if you end up being wrong.

That's a terrible way to think. So what are you suppose to do just accept his request for your number out of fear that he might hurt you? Women should not be afraid to say no. If somebody is hitting on you and your not interested, then have the common sense to refuse. Just don't be a jerk about it and tell him how gross he looks.

This is why every woman in the United States of America should have a gun.

[My ideal wife]

[JOIN THE GOP]

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:00 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:

This is why every woman in the United States of America should have a gun.

As long as they're not violent criminals then sure. But they still shouldn't be afraid of rejecting someone, gun or no gun.
Last edited by Chernoslavia on Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:09 pm

T Roosevelt wrote:If she wants absolutely nothing to do with him, she'll pull the trigger on that creep or beat him physically.

While I'm not exactly opposed to the "kill all men" plan, I suspect you would not actually want it implemented.

Chernoslavia wrote:If you really think the majority of men are as crazy enough as this asshole then I don't think any guy would want to be in a relationship with you.

It doesn't have to be a majority. If I give you a box of biscuits and tell you one of them is poisoned, are you going to take the risk that you get the poisoned one?
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:05 pm

Linux and the X wrote:
T Roosevelt wrote:If she wants absolutely nothing to do with him, she'll pull the trigger on that creep or beat him physically.

While I'm not exactly opposed to the "kill all men" plan, I suspect you would not actually want it implemented.

Chernoslavia wrote:If you really think the majority of men are as crazy enough as this asshole then I don't think any guy would want to be in a relationship with you.

It doesn't have to be a majority. If I give you a box of biscuits and tell you one of them is poisoned, are you going to take the risk that you get the poisoned one?

A fitting argument to be afraid of and dishonest with black people if I ever heard one.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Hyfling
Minister

Founded: May 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hyfling » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:28 pm

It's funny. If someone were to replace the word 'men' with 'black people' and the word 'women' with 'white people' then this OP would have (rightfully) been considered extremely racist and have been locked with the poster warned, or even banned, long ago. But for some reason, blatant sexism and extreme generalisation of males gets a free pass? Why is that?

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Twilight Imperium » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:32 pm

Hyfling wrote:It's funny. If someone were to replace the word 'men' with 'black people' and the word 'women' with 'white people' then this OP would have (rightfully) been considered extremely racist and have been locked with the poster warned, or even banned, long ago. But for some reason, blatant sexism and extreme generalisation of males gets a free pass? Why is that?

You may not have noticed, but at least half of the posts in this thread are pointing out that very fact. ;)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General