NATION

PASSWORD

Who is the greatest leader Russia has had

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who is the greatest Russian leader in history

Peter The Great
28%
Empress Elisabeth I
1%
Catherine The Great
12%
Emperor Alexander I
0%
Emperor Alexander II The Liberator
2%
Vladimir Lenin
15%
Josef Stalin
9%
Mikhail Gorbachev
14%
Vladimir Putin
11%
Another ruler that is not named
8%

Total votes : 259

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:34 pm

Amatopia wrote:Gorbachev, Catherine the Great, and Yeltsin. I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned

Gorbachev led his country into collapse inadvertently, and Yeltsin presided over a massive economic collapse.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:38 pm

Roski wrote:
L Ron Cupboard wrote:Has Russia ever had even a passably good leader?

Putin.
Stalin.
Catherine.
Peter.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Objectively, these fuckers are better than most of America's presidents

this so much. They might have been terrible people, but they could all lead 100x more effectively than any American president since Reagan.
it is my firm belief that I should never have to justify my beliefs.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:42 pm

We all know that Marshal Voroshilov and Marshal Zhukov were the best.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:43 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:We all know that Marshal Voroshilov and Marshal Zhukov were the best.

Who are they?

(I had him confused with the WW2 General)
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:44 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:We all know that Marshal Voroshilov and Marshal Zhukov were the best.

I would nominate the latter for "Best General of WW2" but he never lead Russia in any capacity. Although he was more popular than Stalin.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:

I would nominate the latter for "Best General of WW2" but he never lead Russia in any capacity. Although he was more popular than Stalin.

Wasn't that Georgy Zhukov?
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:

I would call being supreme commander of the military (and therefore, basically the entire country) during the War leading Russia, though Voroshilov was instrumental in moving the industry of the country behind the Urals.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Roski wrote:

Who are they?

Marshals Zhukov and Voroshilov are WW2 generals. Zhukov did become Minister of Defence, but he never made it into any higher political office. Voroshilov did but he didn't really do anything that was outstanding, not to mention he was a lesser figure when the leader at the time was Nikita Krushchev, the man who famously said he'd bury someone.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:48 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

I would call being supreme commander of the military (and therefore, basically the entire country) during the War leading Russia, though Voroshilov was instrumental in moving the industry of the country behind the Urals.

He wasn't a leader though. He still had superiors within the defence ministry and, of course, Stalin himself. Zhukov was never elevated to any real political powers outside of the Ministry of Defence. Stalin was still top dog and that is why he is on this list and Zhukov is not.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:49 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
Roski wrote:
Who are they?

Marshals Zhukov and Voroshilov are WW2 generals. Zhukov did become Minister of Defence, but he never made it into any higher political office. Voroshilov did but he didn't really do anything that was outstanding, not to mention he was a lesser figure when the leader at the time was Nikita Krushchev, the man who famously said he'd bury someone.

I thought his name was Georgy Zhukov?

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:50 pm

Roski wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Marshal is a rank.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:50 pm

Roski wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Georgy Zhukov is the man I am talking about.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:51 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Roski wrote:

Marshal is a rank.

:palm:

that flew over my head. ignore my sudden lapse of ignorance

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:52 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:I would call being supreme commander of the military (and therefore, basically the entire country) during the War leading Russia, though Voroshilov was instrumental in moving the industry of the country behind the Urals.

He wasn't a leader though. He still had superiors within the defence ministry and, of course, Stalin himself. Zhukov was never elevated to any real political powers outside of the Ministry of Defence. Stalin was still top dog and that is why he is on this list and Zhukov is not.

But, de facto, he made most of the decisions with regard to the military state of things. If that doesn't convince you, then Marshal Voroshilov should still be on the list.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:55 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:But, de facto, he made most of the decisions with regard to the military state of things.

Well, yes, those are the sorts of things one would expect a high-ranking figure within the army to do. But he did have superiors and he was answerable to them and is therefore not in the same position of leadership.

If that doesn't convince you, then Marshal Voroshilov should still be on the list.

And what exactly did Kliment do that warrants him on the same list as Stalin?

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:01 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:But, de facto, he made most of the decisions with regard to the military state of things.

Well, yes, those are the sorts of things one would expect a high-ranking figure within the army to do. But he did have superiors and he was answerable to them and is therefore not in the same position of leadership.

If that doesn't convince you, then Marshal Voroshilov should still be on the list.

And what exactly did Kliment do that warrants him on the same list as Stalin?

Chairman of the Revvoyensovet in the South, largely oversaw industrialization, moved industry to the Urals during the war, defended Leningrad, and was Chairman of the Presidium of the Soviet Union. Essentially, Voroshilov was singularly responsible for the victory of the USSR in the War.

EDIT: Despite the scapegoating of him by so many Soviet politicians, Voroshilov should have been the man in charge. He is the personification of defending Stalin's good side, while defying him in others. Plus, he was a badass, he once personally led a counterattack against German Panzers, armed with nothing but a pistol.
Last edited by United Marxist Nations on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:06 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:Chairman of the Revvoyensovet in the South, largely oversaw industrialization, moved industry to the Urals during the war, defended Leningrad, and was Chairman of the Presidium of the Soviet Union. Essentially, Voroshilov was singularly responsible for the victory of the USSR in the War.

Hmm. Some of those are valid points but I would dispute that defending Leningrad would be up there with the same importance to the war in the Soviet Union as other battles, in particular the reversals around Moscow and Stalingrad. I also wouldn't go so far as to say he was entirely responsible for the victory in the USSR as there were many other components to the victory.

Sun Wukong
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Wukong » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:06 pm

Genghis Khan.
Great Sage, Equal of Heaven.

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:Genghis Khan.

Clearly.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Chairman of the Revvoyensovet in the South, largely oversaw industrialization, moved industry to the Urals during the war, defended Leningrad, and was Chairman of the Presidium of the Soviet Union. Essentially, Voroshilov was singularly responsible for the victory of the USSR in the War.

Hmm. Some of those are valid points but I would dispute that defending Leningrad would be up there with the same importance to the war in the Soviet Union as other battles, in particular the reversals around Moscow and Stalingrad. I also wouldn't go so far as to say he was entirely responsible for the victory in the USSR as there were many other components to the victory.

The saving of industry was likely the most important though, as without it, the USSR would have had its industrial capacity crippled. Moreover, he was instrumental in the developing of the "defense-in-depth" doctrine. Leningrad was of great importance, it held 11% of the national economy, not even including the other valuables of the Tsar inside the city. Plus, the loss of the city would have freed Army Group North to move south into a pincer on Moscow.

Gallifrey Secundaria
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallifrey Secundaria » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:44 pm

Arglorand wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Nah, Rurik was better.

Rurik was Ukrainian, obv.

No, actually. Rurik was a Swedish viking, part of the varangians that settled and formed several kingdoms in the east, including Holmgard and Könugagard. These later turned into the republic of Novgorod and the kingdom of Kiev, respectively.
Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.90

Result

Political test = Social Democrat
Cosmopolitan – 22%
Secular – 86%
Visionary – 50%
Anarchistic – 47%
Communistic – 60%
Pacifist – 21%
Anthropocentric– 41%

Result

Socio-Economic Ideology = Social Democracy
Social Democracy = 100%
Democratic Socialism = 83%
Anarchism 58%

Result

[/color]
Senator Alan Upchurch of the Liberal Democrats

Last edited by Gallifrey Secundaria on Sat Mar 7, 2015 4:53 PM, edited 44 times in total.
This nation DOES represent my real life views!

This is a puppet nation belonging to Lamaredia!

Add 1333 posts to post counter.
Add 2847 to total counter, including Forum 7.

Gallifrey Secundaria
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallifrey Secundaria » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:15 pm

Roski wrote:
L Ron Cupboard wrote:Has Russia ever had even a passably good leader?

Putin.
Stalin.
Catherine.
Peter.

Putin & Stalin, good?

:lol:
Political compass

Result

Cosmopolitan – 22%
Secular – 86%
Visionary – 50%
Anarchistic – 47%
Communistic – 60%
Pacifist – 21%
Anthropocentric– 41%

Result

Social Democracy = 100%
Anarchism 58%

Result

[/color]

Last edited by Gallifrey Secundaria on Sat Mar 7, 2015 4:53 PM, edited 44 times in total.

Gallifrey Secundaria
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallifrey Secundaria » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:17 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Roski wrote:
Putin.
Stalin.
Catherine.
Peter.

this so much. They might have been terrible people, but they could all lead 100x more effectively than any American president since Reagan.

Reagan lead about as well as a senile rock. He was a horrible, HORRIBLE president.
Political compass

Result

Cosmopolitan – 22%
Secular – 86%
Visionary – 50%
Anarchistic – 47%
Communistic – 60%
Pacifist – 21%
Anthropocentric– 41%

Result

Social Democracy = 100%
Anarchism 58%

Result

[/color]

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:24 pm

The Mongols hadn't reached Russia by the time he died.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Gallifrey Secundaria
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallifrey Secundaria » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:27 pm

They'd basically only reached Kazakhstan when Genghis died.
Political compass

Result

Cosmopolitan – 22%
Secular – 86%
Visionary – 50%
Anarchistic – 47%
Communistic – 60%
Pacifist – 21%
Anthropocentric– 41%

Result

Social Democracy = 100%
Anarchism 58%

Result

[/color]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General