NATION

PASSWORD

Does God Exist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:26 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:
Benuty wrote:Bullshit.

The Mother of Existence wants a word with you Hellspawn (ie the comic character if you do not know).

Well, sorry to say this but...

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Basically its a comic where God, and Satan are bitter siblings fighting over a planet the actual maker of all existence (aka their mother) gave them.

Of-course thats in the background since the comic is about a damned soul who has returned to earth to serve out his time before returning as an officer in Hell's legions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawn_(comics)
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:30 pm

Benuty wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Well, sorry to say this but...

Basically its a comic where God, and Satan are bitter siblings fighting over a planet the actual maker of all existence (aka their mother) gave them.

Of-course thats in the background since the comic is about a damned soul who has returned to earth to serve out his time before returning as an officer in Hell's legions.

Oh, see Benuty, thats called proper context.

Now that I think about it, from just that description that would make a hilarious TV show.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:09 am

Benuty wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Well, sorry to say this but...

Please tell me there is a show based on this.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

The Stalker
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Stalker » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:08 pm

Immoren wrote:
The Stalker wrote:I've spoken to god, she exists. End of story.

Consulting one's pineal glad usually helps finding her.

Indeed! Praise Eris the one true Goddess!
The Mad King of Hell
I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"
Hell's Bells: Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.
This isn't Wall Street, this is Hell. We have a little something called integrity.
And I heard as it were the noise of thunder, One of the four beasts saying come and see and I saw, and behold...

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:15 pm

Conscentia wrote:
The Stalker wrote:Indeed! Praise Eris the one true Goddess!

Blasphemy! Heresy!

Says the one who worships the mortal god spaghetti Jesus.
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:15 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Creepoc Infinite wrote:It contradicts the idea that god is omnipotent if he can't even stop himself from performing sacrificial rituals. Also, it disgusting this guy thinks it beautiful to sacrifice one person for the crimes of another.

Well, arguably, it is sacrificing one's own self for one's own crime...
And not really a sacrifice at all since he didn't stay dead...

"Despite being omnipotent, the only solution for me setting it illegal that you'd fail is for me to arrange for my own death, which unlike for you, will only last 3 days."

sounds like something a sadomasochist would come up with.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:17 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Well, arguably, it is sacrificing one's own self for one's own crime...

"Despite being omnipotent, the only solution for me setting it illegal that you'd fail is for me to arrange for my own death, which unlike for you, will only last 3 days."

sounds like something a sadomasochist would come up with.

Well not really in the first gospel (before alteration) Jesus stayed dead.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:26 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Creepoc Infinite wrote:It contradicts the idea that god is omnipotent if he can't even stop himself from performing sacrificial rituals. Also, it disgusting this guy thinks it beautiful to sacrifice one person for the crimes of another.

Well, arguably, it is sacrificing one's own self for one's own crime...

Here's the thing, supposedly Jesus died for our sins, so why do we still sin? I mean shouldn't we have already been forgiven. If it really were a selfless act (I am ignoring the scapegoat thing for a second) God would not need us to recognize his son, Jesus's act would have already ensured our forgiveness, regardless of future actions.
Just A Little though

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:34 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:Well, arguably, it is sacrificing one's own self for one's own crime...

Here's the thing, supposedly Jesus died for our sins, so why do we still sin? I mean shouldn't we have already been forgiven. If it really were a selfless act (I am ignoring the scapegoat thing for a second) God would not need us to recognize his son, Jesus's act would have already ensured our forgiveness, regardless of future actions.

Well, as far as I understand it you are already forgiven. I guess it's asking for acknowledgment and thankfulness for the deed of Jesus? I'm not sure, though.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Frisiiland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisiiland » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

I let Jesse deal with this

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:39 pm

Frisiiland wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Too long, mind shortening it and writing it here.
Just A Little though

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:40 pm

Frisiiland wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Become a christian? pssh why?
Signed, Creepoc Infinite
Secularism should be implemented everywhere at all times, get god out of politics. Get god away from impressionable children while you're at it.
check out my region, here.
Star Wars:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=328953

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:40 pm

Jute wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Well, as far as I understand it you are already forgiven. I guess it's asking for acknowledgment and thankfulness for the deed of Jesus? I'm not sure, though.

Then it sounds to me like it isn't a selfless act. it is asking for payment of a kind and giving punishment should said payment not be forthcoming. Jesus sacrificed himself for us, but there is a catch.
Just A Little though

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:41 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Jute wrote:Well, as far as I understand it you are already forgiven. I guess it's asking for acknowledgment and thankfulness for the deed of Jesus? I'm not sure, though.

Then it sounds to me like it isn't a selfless act. it is asking for payment of a kind and giving punishment should said payment not be forthcoming. Jesus sacrificed himself for us, but there is a catch.

That is the whole point of Original Sin.

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:42 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Benuty wrote:Says the one who worships the mortal god spaghetti Jesus.

Lies! Slander!
I worship no such thing.

So you worship the great uncircumcised one?
:P.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:43 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Jute wrote:Well, as far as I understand it you are already forgiven. I guess it's asking for acknowledgment and thankfulness for the deed of Jesus? I'm not sure, though.

Where's the catch? It's just acknowledging the deed, and not even saying "you must". You don't have to do even that, and it would still be valid.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:44 pm

Benuty wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Which makes no sense either way because the Bible alternates on whether sin can be passed down.

In goddamn Deuteronomy alone it contradicts itself by saying "You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me," in one verse (I think it was 5:6) and then later saying "Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin."
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:44 pm

Benuty wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

What is? Supposedly god committed the selfless act in order to forgive us for our "ancestors" actions in which they did the terrible deed of being tricked into doing something. I don't know about you, but when I forgive someone, I do so without strings attached, which god is apparently not doing here.
Just A Little though

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:49 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Benuty wrote:That is the whole point of Original Sin.

What is? Supposedly god committed the selfless act in order to forgive us for our "ancestors" actions in which they did the terrible deed of being tricked into doing something. I don't know about you, but when I forgive someone, I do so without strings attached, which god is apparently not doing here.

Nope.

The Christian Deity had a bastard child, and said bastard child got crucified, and supposedly this human sacrifice was so abhorrent it served as a final physical payment for sin caused by the temptation of two idiots in a garden ergo original sin.

Spiritual payment on the other hand is still payable in the form of a carrot "accepting jesus" to avoid the stick (a negative afterlife).
Last edited by Benuty on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frisiiland
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisiiland » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:51 pm

Neutraligon wrote:

What he says was that Jesus said only those that do the will of the Father go to heaven and Paul clearly teaches that evil works lead to hell in the 1 corinthians 6. Matthew 5:17-20 demands good works and righteousness.
Last edited by Frisiiland on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:51 pm

Benuty wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

Nope.

The Christian Deity had a bastard child, and said bastard child got crucified, and supposedly this human sacrifice was so abhorrent it served as a final physical payment for sin caused by the temptation of two idiots in a garden ergo original sin.

Spiritual payment on the other hand is still payable in the form of a carrot "accepting jesus" to avoid the stick (a negative afterlife).

If it was the final physical payment then why do women still feel birthing pains. And supposedly god planned for his child/himself to be crucified for the purpose of said forgiveness.
Just A Little though

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:53 pm

Frisiiland wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
What he says was that Jesus said only those that do the will of the Father go to heaven and Paul clearly teaches that evil works lead to hell in the corinthians. Matthew 5:17-20 demands good works and righteousness.

Except that unless baptized people are still considered sinners, or is baptism pointless now?
Just A Little though

Benuty
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Benuty wrote:
Nope.

If it was the final physical payment then why do women still feel birthing pains. And supposedly god planned for his child/himself to be crucified for the purpose of said forgiveness.

1) They said "we'll clear you of your sins" not "oh by the way that includes the bitchslaps made against Adam, and Eve in the Garden".

2) Well the Christian deity has a bit of quandary because of just how genocidal the Book of Revelations is.
So much for that forgiveness.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General