NATION

PASSWORD

Does God Exist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gumpertopia
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Hmm

Postby Gumpertopia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:55 am

Benuty wrote:Why is it no one does Ahura Mazda?

Do him for once.

Or at least do the Mormon Gods.

I would love to hear what you think Mormon Gods are?

WestRedMaple
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:58 am

152(!) pages just to point out

Nobody knows
Last edited by WestRedMaple on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:03 am

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes wrote:
Benuty wrote:The problem with Islam is that many of the people who had actually memorized the things Muhammad told them went off to battle (not surprised as they were invading out of Arabia), and ended up dying (most of them). So basically the Quran was pieced from the memories of those still living. So who knows what volumes were lost because they didn't start a written tradition soon enough.

Incorrect. The Quoran is one of the first holy books whose content is accurately connected to those that actually said them. Mohammad would show up after having a hallucination or whatever and 15 dudes would write it down that day, compare notes, do it again, and by the end of the week they had a canon. Islam does not have the attribution problems that christianity does. There are no lost volumes, or apocryphal ones. Just the one bad one.

I'm making a different thread for this, because it seems like you guys are interested.
Signed, Creepoc Infinite
Secularism should be implemented everywhere at all times, get god out of politics. Get god away from impressionable children while you're at it.
check out my region, here.
Star Wars:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=328953

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:04 am

WestRedMaple wrote:152(!) pages just to point out

Nobody knows

If god exists, we should be able to prove it.

On a different note, we can disprove personal gods of religions, but not the overall concept, mainly because god can mean anything.
Signed, Creepoc Infinite
Secularism should be implemented everywhere at all times, get god out of politics. Get god away from impressionable children while you're at it.

WestRedMaple
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby WestRedMaple » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:10 am

Creepoc Infinite wrote:

Nobody knows

On a different note, we can disprove personal gods of religions, but not the overall concept, mainly because god can mean anything.

If god exists, then it is possible we might be able to prove it, but also possible that we might not.

In either case, it is obvious that our current ability to observe and our knowledge of the universe is still very minor.....which makes it unlikely that we'd be able to do it now even if the possibility would ever exist
Last edited by WestRedMaple on Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:17 am

WestRedMaple wrote:
Creepoc Infinite wrote:If god exists, we should be able to prove it.

If god exists, then it is possible we might be able to prove it, but also possible that we might not.

In either case, it is obvious that our current ability to observe and our knowledge of the universe is still very minor.....which makes it unlikely that we'd be able to do it now even if the possibility would ever exist

I should've been more specific, I agree that a deist god can neither be proven nor disproven, however, if the Christian god existed, we should be able to prove it. Quite easily. Same goes for Thor, shiva, Wotan and all the others.

That being said, they can also be disproven, very easily I think
Signed, Creepoc Infinite

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:43 am

Conscentia wrote:
Jute wrote:Ignorance? It's just a belief different from yours. It shouldn't be called ignorance until proven otherwise, and since you can't disprove or prove it, it could be (grudgingly) accepted. It's not like most religious people are ignorant of physics and other natural sciences. Most Christians for example, aren't Creationists, after all.

It's belief derived from an incorrect philosophical approach.

Most Christians are creationists. They're old world creationists. They believe in rubbish like "God caused the big bang".

I would rather they believe God caused the Big Bang than they believe God spoke all the animals into existence 6,000 years ago.

Just my two cents.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:13 am

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes wrote:
Benuty wrote:The problem with Islam is that many of the people who had actually memorized the things Muhammad told them went off to battle (not surprised as they were invading out of Arabia), and ended up dying (most of them). So basically the Quran was pieced from the memories of those still living. So who knows what volumes were lost because they didn't start a written tradition soon enough.

Incorrect. The Quoran is one of the first holy books whose content is accurately connected to those that actually said them. Mohammad would show up after having a hallucination or whatever and 15 dudes would write it down that day, compare notes, do it again, and by the end of the week they had a canon. Islam does not have the attribution problems that christianity does. There are no lost volumes, or apocryphal ones. Just the one bad one.

Nope there were multiple versions of the Quran before the Third Caliph intervened to create just one.
Last edited by Benuty on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:16 pm

Does anything at all exist?

It can be freeing to contemplate the void, and learn to say "nothing exists".

The problem becomes that even in the act of negation there is still a concept, or the remnant of a concept, which insists that it, the concept, exists.

http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/ar ... ipt_3.html

Sometimes I experience an emptiness behind all phenomena, and that emptiness knows my name.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:23 pm

Arkinesia wrote:
Conscentia wrote:It's belief derived from an incorrect philosophical approach.

Most Christians are creationists. They're old world creationists. They believe in rubbish like "God caused the big bang".

I would rather they believe God caused the Big Bang than they believe God spoke all the animals into existence 6,000 years ago.

Just my two cents.

Which is exactly what most Christians believe, like the other poster already said. Even the pope and the catholic church accept Evolution.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:24 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Does anything at all exist?

It can be freeing to contemplate the void, and learn to say "nothing exists".

The problem becomes that even in the act of negation there is still a concept, or the remnant of a concept, which insists that it, the concept, exists.

http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/ar ... ipt_3.html

Sometimes I experience an emptiness behind all phenomena, and that emptiness knows my name.

Which is usually seen as the proof for consciousness,as far as I understand it. "Cogito, ergo sum". I think, therefore I am (or exist). You can question the existence of everything, except the existence of questioning.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Conscentia wrote:
Jute wrote:Ignorance? It's just a belief different from yours. It shouldn't be called ignorance until proven otherwise, and since you can't disprove or prove it, it could be (grudgingly) accepted. It's not like most religious people are ignorant of physics and other natural sciences. Most Christians for example, aren't Creationists, after all.

It's belief derived from an incorrect philosophical approach.

I do not think you know what you are talking about...you are calling the majority of Christians in Afro-Eurasia ( the old world) creationists.

Ergo [citation needed].
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Benuty wrote:
Conscentia wrote:It's belief derived from an incorrect philosophical approach.

I do not think you know what you are talking about...you are calling the majority of Christians in Afro-Eurasia ( the old world) creationists.
Ergo [citation needed].

TBH, it was pessimistic speculation.
The problem with polls on this subject is that creationism is generally contrasted with evolution, as opposed to alternative ideas about the origins of the universe.
The world's largest Christian sects have creationist doctrine, so it seemed like a fair speculation.

So you think the majority of Christians in Afro-Eurasia believe the universe came from nothing? That "God" had nothing to do with universe coming to exist?
I'd like to see your citation.
Last edited by Conscentia on Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Arcanda
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Arcanda » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:38 am

Creepoc Infinite wrote:
Arcanda wrote:Being a christian, I think God exists.However, I have no problem with people who don't - Jesus told us to be tolerant and to love people no matter what.If you see any christian, muslim or jewish person doing bad things, it's that he was either tricked into an antiquated system of beliefs (Like some jihadists are right now) or they use religion as a pretext in order to hurt people and make money (Like Al-Qaeda) or to have a pretext for their intolerance (The Westboro Church).I sin and I've never read the bible, I've only been to church twice, yet I know what God wants : Peace and love.Having a muslim mother and travelling several times in Algeria, I can also say that muslims are nothing but a peaceful people.

How do you percieve atheists?

Atheists ? I love them.Even if they insult my beliefs, I try my hardest to love them.That's what religion is all about : love.We're one.Our blood is the same, wherever you're from, whatever you believe.And love doesn't hurt anybody, while rivalry often does.That's my philosophy.Quite simple and idealistic, but, you gotta keep trying.

Creepoc Infinite
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Creepoc Infinite » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:06 am

Arcanda wrote:
Creepoc Infinite wrote:How do you percieve atheists?

Atheists ? I love them.Even if they insult my beliefs, I try my hardest to love them.That's what religion is all about : love.We're one.Our blood is the same, wherever you're from, whatever you believe.And love doesn't hurt anybody, while rivalry often does.That's my philosophy.Quite simple and idealistic, but, you gotta keep trying.

Honestly, I don't buy that. You sound very condescending. And that being said, religion is not about love, it is a failed and primitive form of science.
It is also a way of controlling public opinion and politics.
Religion promote an us against them attitude. And if you don't have that attitude, you clearly are following your own creed.
And love CAN hurt people. Just read Romeo and Juliet for an example of how it can.
Signed, Creepoc Infinite

The Union of Tentacles and Grapes
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Tentacles and Grapes » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:08 am

Creepoc Infinite wrote:
Arcanda wrote:Atheists ? I love them.Even if they insult my beliefs, I try my hardest to love them.That's what religion is all about : love.We're one.Our blood is the same, wherever you're from, whatever you believe.And love doesn't hurt anybody, while rivalry often does.That's my philosophy.Quite simple and idealistic, but, you gotta keep trying.

Honestly, I don't buy that. You sound very condescending. And that being said, religion is not about love, it is a failed and primitive form of science.
Religion promote an us against them attitude. And if you don't have that attitude, you clearly are following your own creed.
And love CAN hurt people. Just read Romeo and Juliet for an example of how it can.

Or what people do in the name of love. Andrea Yates drowned all of her children to "save them" all the stalkers in the world, and even battered wife syndrome. Love is not a good reason.

Arcanda
Diplomat

Postby Arcanda » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:49 am

Creepoc Infinite wrote:
Arcanda wrote:Atheists ? I love them.Even if they insult my beliefs, I try my hardest to love them.That's what religion is all about : love.We're one.Our blood is the same, wherever you're from, whatever you believe.And love doesn't hurt anybody, while rivalry often does.That's my philosophy.Quite simple and idealistic, but, you gotta keep trying.

Ah, I've already been told I was condescending.Anyhow, that wasn't my goal.
As for love, we gotta find the right form of love.R & J was about a love story, hereI'm talking about love at a more simple level.Maybe you could even call that respect, but still, I prefer to call it love.I won't try to change your mind, so I guess I'm going to stop there with my arguments for my religion.I know there's loads of bad things in the Bible, and people've done horrid things because of how they interpreted the Qu'ran.Those Holy Books were written two millenials ago, I think it's time to move on onto the future.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:00 am

Creepoc Infinite wrote:

Nobody knows

Not necessarily.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:04 am

Arcanda wrote:
Creepoc Infinite wrote:How do you percieve atheists?

Unconditional love makes love meaningless. It has to be earned, otherwise it's just hollow.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Arcanda
Diplomat

Postby Arcanda » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:05 am

Zottistan wrote:

Unconditional love makes love meaningless. It has to be earned, otherwise it's just hollow.

You make a point.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:10 am

Zottistan wrote:

I tend to find that random people telling them they love me cheapens the idea of love. My family loves me, some unknown person on the internet does not love me, they don't even know me.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:11 am

Benuty wrote:Why is it no one does Ahura Mazda?

Because it's more or less the same stuff as in Abraham's monotheism, give or take some details.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:12 am

Arcanda wrote:Atheists ? I love them.Even if they insult my beliefs, I try my hardest to love them.That's what religion is all about : love.

Maybe that's YOUR religion. You can't talk for everyone else.

Neutraligon wrote:I tend to find that random people telling them they love me cheapens the idea of love. My family loves me, some unknown person on the internet does not love me, they don't even know me.

Also, this.

Also, bonobos.
Last edited by Risottia on Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:15 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Zottistan wrote:Unconditional love makes love meaningless. It has to be earned, otherwise it's just hollow.

I tend to find that random people telling them they love me cheapens the idea of love. My family loves me, some unknown person on the internet does not love me, they don't even know me.

Exactly. And I think you'll find that the people who pretend to love virtually everybody or love unconditionally tend to be quite oblivious to the actual unhappiness of the people around them, although that's just my personal experience talking.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General