NATION

PASSWORD

Time to End Human (as opposed to probe) Space Exploration?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should human space exploration end?

Yes, because our best and brightest should not be sacrificed to our curiosity.
No votes
Yes, because it's pointless and expensive.
4%
Yes, because humanity deserves nothing but extinction.
2%
No, because we need to find new worlds to ruin after we're done with Earth.
18%
No, because we need to get away from the Sun before it explodes.
17%
No, because brilliant people with an inadequate sense of personal danger need something to do.
3%
No, because it's too cool to end.
14%
No, because probes can't do what people can do.
40%

Total votes : 126

Arcov
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Arcov » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:56 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:Allowed us to put things on the moon, which is useful for tracking its orbit around the Earth. Gave us the ability to do slightly more in-depth analysis of lunar turf. Not a lot else.

Wrong. Mechanisms like the MRI originate from the lunar mission.

Nazi Flower Power wrote:I don't think the lunar missions did much for us, aside from driving government funding towards the relevant scientific and engineering apparatus, which then yielded the advances you've apparently attributed to a human boot on the moon. I feel the same way about a prospective Mars mission.

That's not the case. Challenges posed by the mission lead to solutions that, when modified, led to practical application here on Earth.

Arcov wrote:You seem to have a very inflated value of how much a Mars mission would cost.

Tubbsalot wrote:It would cost many probes and other things which would actually be useful for science. I'm measuring this by cost-effectiveness, not raw dollars. Again, if you doubled NASA's funding, a Mars mission would be extremely low on their list of priorities.

It would only be "low on their priorities" because people like you start complaining about how much they might be spending. A Mars mission has long been accepted to be an eventual goal of NASA, but because of cuts in funding, is impossible.

And when you make comments like "destroy the entire economy and starve people" it's hard for you to say you don't have an inflated value.
Last edited by Arcov on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory Signature

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:57 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:The fact that if it is too far away, he can get a tiny fraction of his taxes back.

Leaving aside, of course, the dozens of useful inventions NASA (to name one) has either developed or pioneered.

And the unimaginable number of extremely advanced technologies that would have to be developed for any manned interstellar mission, and even more for any colonization efforts, likely including revolutionary advances in medicine, energy production, and agriculture.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Arcov wrote:Wrong. Mechanisms like the MRI originate from the lunar mission.

...er, are you referring to magnetic resonance imaging? If so, no it does not.

Arcov wrote:That's not the case. Challenges posed by the mission lead to solutions that, when modified, led to practical application here on Earth.

It doesn't seem like you're disagreeing with me. The important part was that the science and engineering work was funded. Actually stepping on the moon was, at best, a nice little bonus.

Arcov wrote:It would only be "low on their priorities" because people like you start complaining about how much they might be spending.

No, I'd quite happily give them twice the budget to do whatever the fuck they liked with. And I can assure you, they wouldn't want to spend all that money on a glossy, pointless Mars base. Not unless they were trying to attract additional funding (since, in case you hadn't noticed, the only reason anyone wants to fund NASA any more is because they might put people on Mars).

Arcov wrote:And when you make comments like "destroy the entire economy and starve people" it's hard for you to say you don't have an inflated value.

Again, depends how much you want to prioritise it. If we had knowledge of an imminent world-ending asteroid impact, then yes, that could be a reasonable response.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Arcov
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arcov » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:36 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:...er, are you referring to magnetic resonance imaging? If so, no it does not.

It was pretty crucial.:

Did NASA invent Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)?

No, NASA did not invent MRI technology, but it has contributed to its advances over the years, and elements of NASA technology have been incorporated into MRI techniques. In the mid-1960s, as a prelude to NASA’s Apollo Lunar Landing Program, the Jet Propulsion Laboratory developed the technology known as digital image processing to allow computer enhancement of Moon pictures. Digital image processing has found a broad array of other applications, particularly in the field of medicine, where it is employed to create and enhance images of the organs in the human body for diagnostic purposes. Two of these advanced body imaging techniques are CT or CATScan and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI).

Tubbsalot wrote:It doesn't seem like you're disagreeing with me. The important part was that the science and engineering work was funded. Actually stepping on the moon was, at best, a nice little bonus.

And the origins of the technology would not have been developed without the challenges posed by the mission to the moon.

Tubbsalot wrote:No, I'd quite happily give them twice the budget to do whatever the fuck they liked with. And I can assure you, they wouldn't want to spend all that money on a glossy, pointless Mars base. Not unless they were trying to attract additional funding (since, in case you hadn't noticed, the only reason anyone wants to fund NASA any more is because they might put people on Mars).

Then you'd be in the minority, because people see most space research as frivolous and unnecessary. Their funding has continually been scaled back. They consume .8% of the current yearly federal budget.

Tubbsalot wrote:Again, depends how much you want to prioritise it. If we had knowledge of an imminent world-ending asteroid impact, then yes, that could be a reasonable response.
[/quote]
It wouldn't cost that much in the first place. Half the amount that's put into the military is at most the maximum amount it would take. It's not like millions starved because of the lunar mission.
Last edited by Arcov on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory Signature

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:56 pm

Arcov wrote:It wouldn't cost that much in the first place. Half the amount that's put into the military is at most the maximum amount it would take. It's not like millions starved because of the lunar mission.

....Dude. Diverting 1/10 of America's current annual military budget to NASA would give them five times the money they've EVER had.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Arcov
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Arcov » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:58 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:
Arcov wrote:It wouldn't cost that much in the first place. Half the amount that's put into the military is at most the maximum amount it would take. It's not like millions starved because of the lunar mission.

....Dude. Diverting 1/10 of America's current annual military budget to NASA would give them five times the money they've EVER had.

Indeed.

The amount NASA needs is tiny, much more money is wasted on nonsense elsewhere.
Mandatory Signature

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:58 pm

United States of The One Percent wrote:IMO the first three are unnecessary

Well good thing you're not in charge then.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Mostrov
Minister

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mostrov » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:20 pm

Last edited by Mostrov on Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Mostrov wrote:Aside from rather emotional reasons of a generation raised on television where people regularly fly their starships around, is there any actual good reason to do something that doesn't have an especial benefits that can be accomplished more efficiently with machines in any case?

Postponing the extinction of the human species?
~~~~~~~~

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:26 pm

Your poll shows too many signs of hatred of humanity
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Mostrov
Minister

Postby Mostrov » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:30 pm

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:31 pm

No it wasn't. They developed digital image processing, which is only tangentially related to MRI. MRI is just a more elaborate form of NMR, which has been around since the 40s.

Arcov wrote:And the origins of the technology would not have been developed without the challenges posed by the mission to the moon.

...like what? What did they develop due to the manned moon landing which wouldn't also have been developed in the course of any other program involving the investigation of celestial bodies?

Arcov wrote:Then you'd be in the minority, because people see most space research as frivolous and unnecessary. Their funding has continually been scaled back. They consume .8% of the current yearly federal budget.

Yes.

Evacuating the Earth would be a couple of steps above delivering three people to the moon.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:31 pm

Why do people hate human continuity so much?
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:35 pm

Mostrov wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:Postponing the extinction of the human species?

Why is this good? We will inevitably go extinct you know, you speak as though there exist some justifiable reason for existence. Just because our primordial ancestors had natural selection as the prime arbitrator of whether we continue, it doesn't mean that we should follow that practice - otherwise we can regard rape as a perfectly valid stratagem. Presumably you yourself, having not decided to maximise your chances of genetic propagation aren't following this principle, so what exactly are you following?

You're eventually going to die. Does that little fact make you apathetic enough to run blindfolded across a highway?

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Why do people hate human continuity so much?

MUH TAX BREAK

Actually, if we're that disgustingly short-sighted then we probably deserve to die out.
Last edited by Wisconsin9 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~

Mostrov
Minister

Postby Mostrov » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:37 pm

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:39 pm

Mostrov wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:You're eventually going to die. Does that little fact make you apathetic enough to run blindfolded across a highway?

It certainly doesn't give me a reason not too. I mean I merely have other priorities aside from killing myself at the time being. If I'm going to die eventually, it doesn't matter whether it happens sooner or later.

If you find everything ultimately meaningless then why even have priorities?
~~~~~~~~

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:42 pm

What do you mean by "ruining worlds"? The odds of finding another planet with natural life already on it are ridiculously slim. What is there to ruin?
Signatures are so 2014.

Mostrov
Minister

Postby Mostrov » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:44 pm

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:46 pm

Utceforp wrote:What do you mean by "ruining worlds"? The odds of finding another planet with natural life already on it are ridiculously slim. What is there to ruin?

And it would honestly probably be easier to colonize a dead world. No attacks by native predators, no competition for plants and animals you want to introduce for terraforming, no "food" that'll actually cause a horrifyingly painful death... find a planet with Earth-like gravity and climate and set up shop, bam.

Mostrov wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:If you find everything ultimately meaningless then why even have priorities?

Because within the context of now, I do need to keep on breathing.
After all from my perspective, there isn't anything to lose by continuing to exist; I just don't see the fuss with regards to people who aren't me (and descendants).

That! That is exactly the problem! This is why we can't have nice things! "Me, me, me! Fuck everyone else, I gotta get mine!" You are exactly what's wrong with this species! Economic fuckery, environmental problems, war, tyranny, it all comes right on back to people like you! You're screwing over everything and everyone in the long run, including yourselves, for a little bit of short term gain!
Last edited by Wisconsin9 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:52 pm

Wisconsin9 wrote:
Utceforp wrote:What do you mean by "ruining worlds"? The odds of finding another planet with natural life already on it are ridiculously slim. What is there to ruin?

And it would honestly probably be easier to colonize a dead world. No attacks by native predators, no competition for plants and animals you want to introduce for terraforming, no "food" that'll actually cause a horrifyingly painful death... find a planet with Earth-like gravity and climate and set up shop, bam.

Also, there's no guarantee that life on a "live" world is easy for humans. A world with life already on it might not be earth-like at all, with life adapted suitably for the different environment. That's not even getting into the atmosphere, imagine how hard it would be to colonize a world populated by methane breathers. And it's not like you're going to run out of non-life filled worlds. Space has a lot of space.
Wisconsin9 wrote:
Mostrov wrote:Because within the context of now, I do need to keep on breathing.
After all from my perspective, there isn't anything to lose by continuing to exist; I just don't see the fuss with regards to people who aren't me (and descendants).

That! That is exactly the problem! This is why we can't have nice things! "Me, me, me! Fuck everyone else, I gotta get mine!" You are exactly what's wrong with this species! Economic fuckery, environmental problems, war, tyranny, it all comes right on back to people like you! You're screwing over everything and everyone in the long run, including yourselves, for a little bit of short term gain!

Thank you so much.

Every philosophy posits that a human life has some sort of value, even if that value is zero, for the more cynical ones. To remain logically consistent, you have to assign every human roughly the same value. If you're worth keeping alive, everyone is worth keeping alive. If everyone else is worth nothing, you're worth nothing too. Plus, rational selflessness tends to result in everyone prospering, while selfishness tends to result in everyone fucking each other up and nobody getting what they want except a few people.
Last edited by Utceforp on Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are so 2014.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Utceforp wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:And it would honestly probably be easier to colonize a dead world. No attacks by native predators, no competition for plants and animals you want to introduce for terraforming, no "food" that'll actually cause a horrifyingly painful death... find a planet with Earth-like gravity and climate and set up shop, bam.

Also, there's no guarantee that life on a "live" world is easy for humans. A world with life already on it might not be earth-like at all, with life adapted suitably for the different environment. That's not even getting into the atmosphere, imagine how hard it would be to colonize a world populated by methane breathers. And it's not like you're going to run out of non-life filled worlds. Space has a lot of space.

Worlds amenable to human life probably less so, but honestly all you really need is gravity that won't compact your skull down into your stomach. The rest you can bring with you.
~~~~~~~~

Mostrov
Minister

Postby Mostrov » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Last edited by Mostrov on Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:56 pm

Mostrov wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:

And why are these my priorities? Understanding cooperation and long-term planning, because it satisfies people whom you are cooperating with who have to endure such circumstances in the future does not make that the case. Mere game theory. The question I am asking is nothing to do with that, its rather why continue? Why perpetuate ourselves if it will not have any effect on ourselves.

Because why the fuck not.

That's not a question, by the way. That's my actual answer.
~~~~~~~~

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:11 am

Mostrov wrote:
Wisconsin9 wrote:

And why are these my priorities? Understanding cooperation and long-term planning, because it satisfies people whom you are cooperating with who have to endure such circumstances in the future does not make that the case. Mere game theory. The question I am asking is nothing to do with that, its rather why continue? Why perpetuate ourselves if it will not have any effect on ourselves.

So we all might as well go outside and dance around while spraying aerosol cans into the air and shouting "Global warming isn't my problem, I'll be dead first!", right?
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

Mostrov
Minister

Postby Mostrov » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:16 am

Last edited by Mostrov on Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General