NATION

PASSWORD

S Korean government doubles cigarette prices

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
no they are just selling things that taste good.

But you can got a month without them, you can't go for a month without smokes if you're a smoker.

Nope, those things that taste good.are.very harmful. Thus they are exploting addicts by your.logic.

Oh, and that must be why I have gone three months without them as a smoker. Drop the arrogance. You don't know.anything about addiction, clearly.

have you ever heard of a rehab center for ''McDonald addicts''?

yeah I don't think so. You're over-broadening the ambit of the word ''exploitation'' and ''addiction.''

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:Fast food is. It's horrible for you, and is addictive. So is caffeine, shall we punish coffee shops and soda companies? Best start arresting these dirty people exploring the masses.

no they are just selling things that taste good.

But you can go for a month without them, you can't go for a month without smokes if you're a smoker.

They're selling "dangerous and addictive substances".
Insert trite farewell here

Lunalia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunalia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:06 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Lunalia wrote:Pretty sure there are in fact people who cannot go months and months without Starbucks or McDonalds. McDonalds manages to be cheaper than healthy food, cheap enough that some people have no affordable alternatives.

More to the point, it is now almost impossible to find healthy quick to prepare meals that do not contain MSG. Are you going to go after the companies who force people who cannot eat MSG who work so many hours in a day that they don't have time to cook their own dinners from scratch to choose between starving and making themselves violently ill?

On a related note, MSG is actually extremely addictive. That's why they put it in all teh food.

I don't see the connection...

I'm lost

you say that it's not on the same level of exploitation as tobacco, that it isn't as addictive.

But they use highly addictive flavorings to make it taste that good, so yes, it is that addictive.
Wikkiwallana wrote:
Auralia wrote:
The Catholic Church teaches that participation in gay "commitment ceremonies" is wrong.

You may not have noticed, but New Mexico is not located in Vatican City.

Solaray
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:06 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Scomagia wrote:You haven't shown this "exploitation" to be wrong.

so you're ok with exploitation?

As someone who occasionally purchases tobacco products, I don't feel exploited in the slightest.
Sig closed for construction.

Est. completion date: Summer 2054

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:06 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:Nope, those things that taste good.are.very harmful. Thus they are exploting addicts by your.logic.

Oh, and that must be why I have gone three months without them as a smoker. Drop the arrogance. You don't know.anything about addiction, clearly.

have you ever heard of a rehab center for ''McDonald addicts''?

yeah I don't think so. You're over-broadening the ambit of the word ''exploitation'' and ''addiction.''

No, you're just moving the goal-posts to where it's convenient for you. Learn to debate Kefka.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:07 pm

Lunalia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
I don't see the connection...

I'm lost

you say that it's not on the same level of exploitation as tobacco, that it isn't as addictive.

But they use highly addictive flavorings to make it taste that good, so yes, it is that addictive.

and yet people can go for a few months without those specific things. They wouldn't start shaking, being irritable, and roll around on the floor...

Not so with tobacco. If you're a smoker, they've got you.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:09 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Lunalia wrote:you say that it's not on the same level of exploitation as tobacco, that it isn't as addictive.

and yet people can go for a few months without those specific things. They wouldn't start shaking, being irritable, and roll around on the floor...

Smokers don't roll around on the floor either. Smokers can and will go months without smoking.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:09 pm

I'm always iffy on cigarette taxes.

I like them because they raise the price of cigarettes and discourage smoking, and I dislike them because they burden the poor.

But, I think that in the long run, raising the price and tax on cigarettes will be beneficial as it greatly reduces the smoking rate (along with things like plain packaging, of course) and raises taxes for things like health, education etc. for example, I believe the Obama administration raised the federal tobacco tax by a large amount - to fund the Children's Health Insurance Program, for low-income kids to get health insurance. If the revenues are used productively, then I support it. Ensuring more kids can access health insurance is a fair way of spending the revenues.
So tobacco taxes are fine by me, but they need to be accompanied by things like plain packaging and warning labels, and the revenues should go to thing that help the less well off, like welfare/health/education.

Also, I think that regulating and taxing things is a far better alternative than banning harmful things. People should have the right to smoke if they want, but regulation and taxation can ensure people aren't encouraged to do it.
This is plain packaging, btw. It seems to work.
Last edited by Atlanticatia on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Lunalia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunalia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Lunalia wrote:you say that it's not on the same level of exploitation as tobacco, that it isn't as addictive.

Pretty sure if you drink Starbucks every day for a few months then try to quit you will go through severe caffeine withdrawal. Substituting tea or caffeinated soda doesn't count.
Wikkiwallana wrote:
Auralia wrote:
The Catholic Church teaches that participation in gay "commitment ceremonies" is wrong.

You may not have noticed, but New Mexico is not located in Vatican City.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Wow...you really have no clue what in the hell you are talking about do you? It is actually quite amusing.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Smokers don't roll around on the floor either. Smokers can and will go months without smoking.

I have definitely never seen that. Every remotely addicted smoker I've ever met has needed to smoke once every day without exception.

I once did some studying with another student who was a smoker. LITERALLY he had to smoke every hour.

Now there could be exceptions to the rules, but the majority of them... I'm fairly sure they can't regularly just decide not to smoke for months. And I'm being over-generous with the month as a unit...
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Smokers don't roll around on the floor either. Smokers can and will go months without smoking.

I have definitely never seen that. Every remotely addicted smoker I've ever met has needed to smoke once every day without exception.

I once did some studying with another student who was a smoker. LITERALLY he had to smoke every hour.

Now there could be exceptions to the rules, but the majority of them... I'm fairly sure they can't regularly just decide not to smoke for months. And I'm being over-generous with the month as a unit...

Anecdotes are worthless Kefka. Learn to debate.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Smokers don't roll around on the floor either. Smokers can and will go months without smoking.

Oh, so your narrow experience and minute sample now means you are now an expert on nicotine addiction. :roll:
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Wow...you really have no clue what in the hell you are talking about do you? It is actually quite amusing.

Like watching a Dachshund try to do a back-flip.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Anecdotes are worthless Kefka. Learn to debate.

*Sigh* Maybe some day.
ΦΣK
------------------

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:12 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Oh, so your narrow experience and minute sample now means you are now an expert on nicotine addiction. :roll:

if you've seen enough of something, you do acquire at least some expertise.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:13 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:Oh, so your narrow experience and minute sample now means you are now an expert on nicotine addiction. :roll:

Not how it works, son.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:13 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:Oh, so your narrow experience and minute sample now means you are now an expert on nicotine addiction. :roll:

No. Not in the slightest. Especially in your case.
ΦΣK
------------------

Solaray
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:14 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:

I know plenty of people who only use a pack every few days. And don't even get me started on the people that only smoke socially.

Anectodes go both ways.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:16 pm

Solaray wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

I know plenty of people who only use a pack every few days. And don't even get me started on the people that only smoke socially.

Anectodes go both ways.

But you see, he has studied one smoker, so that clearly means there is no such thing as light or social smokers. He is the one with the expertise here.
ΦΣK
------------------

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:
Solaray wrote:I know plenty of people who only use a pack every few days. And don't even get me started on the people that only smoke socially.

Anectodes go both ways.

But you see, he has studied one smoker, so that clearly means there is no such thing as light or social smokers. He is the one with the expertise here.

Clearly we should all bow before Kefka's completely unfounded, logically unsupported, historically foolish ideas.
Last edited by Scomagia on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solaray
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:I'm always iffy on cigarette taxes.

I like them because they raise the price of cigarettes and discourage smoking, and I dislike them because they burden the poor.

But, I think that in the long run, raising the price and tax on cigarettes will be beneficial as it greatly reduces the smoking rate (along with things like plain packaging, of course) and raises taxes for things like health, education etc. for example, I believe the Obama administration raised the federal tobacco tax by a large amount - to fund the Children's Health Insurance Program, for low-income kids to get health insurance. If the revenues are used productively, then I support it. Ensuring more kids can access health insurance is a fair way of spending the revenues.
So tobacco taxes are fine by me, but they need to be accompanied by things like plain packaging and warning labels, and the revenues should go to thing that help the less well off, like welfare/health/education.

Also, I think that regulating and taxing things is a far better alternative than banning harmful things. People should have the right to smoke if they want, but regulation and taxation can ensure people aren't encouraged to do it.

If people are actually discouraged from smoking by plain packaging they must not have wanted to smoke much in the first place.

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Solaray wrote:
Atlanticatia wrote:I'm always iffy on cigarette taxes.

If people are actually discouraged from smoking by plain packaging they must not have wanted to smoke much in the first place.

Plain packaging more discourages people from starting to smoke, since people who already smoke won't really care. But then, the increased price will encourage smokers to quit smoking, since they won't be able to afford it as easily.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Solaray
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:31 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:
Solaray wrote:If people are actually discouraged from smoking by plain packaging they must not have wanted to smoke much in the first place.

Plain packaging more discourages people from starting to smoke, since people who already smoke won't really care. But then, the increased price will encourage smokers to quit smoking, since they won't be able to afford it as easily.

To a degree, raised prices are alright, but raising them a lot just seems like a dick move. Smoking is enjoyable, to an extent, and raising the prices too much just pisses people off. They're already pretty expensive here, average price is around 15 bucks Canadian.
Last edited by Solaray on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kampfenland
Attaché

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kampfenland » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:36 pm

Jesus Christ. If I could get a pack for that price, I'd be one happy ashtray.

Honestly, the measure isn't going to accomplish a whole lot. The rate of smokers will decrease temporarily, but given the addictive nature of tobacco, it will increase to it's original rate within a year or two, as prices become normal and people's budgets adjust to the hike in prices.
Be careful taking that gun from my cold dead hands, the barrel is going to be a little hot.
When the boot of the State is pressed on your throat, it doesn't matter if it's the right foot or the left.
No LD50 data available for death, seems like it just gets everyone.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General