NATION

PASSWORD

Microsoft has bought Mojang/Minecraft for $2.5Bn {UPDATE}

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nationes Pii Redivivi
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationes Pii Redivivi » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:37 pm

The inexplicably popular ugly, 3-d Pixel game was bought by Microsoft for an inordinate amount of money because they are idiots. I really don't see why I should care.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:38 pm

Reploid Productions wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
I don't think you understand just how big this game is.

It's a pioneering effort in MMOs, not to mention it has a genius design.

It's like this generation's Mario Bros. or Doom or Pac-Man, and those licenses are making millions even after decades.

Guess I didn't think about the merch angle, but still, that's a hell of a lot of t-shirts, blocky toy swords, cardboard box heads, and so on! :lol2:

Yup. 10 years down the line, the developers will be very wealthy.

MOICHANDISIN'
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:38 pm

Czechanada wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:We need competition, and Microsoft is trying to form a monopoly on software and hardware.

"Trying?"

It's been their modus operandi since the 1990s.

For once, you're right.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Geanna
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Geanna » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:47 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Czechanada wrote:
"Trying?"

It's been their modus operandi since the 1990s.

For once, you're right.

Indeed - the only thing I'd find more suitable for Microsoft is following the route of Atari and jumping off a building in a drunken rage.

Microsoft: ''Our new entertainment system, the Xbone 2.0''

*Ooo Ahh*

Microsoft: ''Just kidding it's shit''

Was the original modus operandi however now we can add this to the equation and still bang our heads against a grenade.

''You want to play Minecraft? Sign up for Micorosft shit this, Microsoft shit this, and buy an Xbox you lazy bum''

How about I refuse to update the game - or strangle it in its sleep and bury the damn thing in the backyard before you decide to fuck with my sanity even further Microsoft. It'd be analogous at least to ripping out the bad ending of a book up to the point where you reach a good point in the story and saying it was a good game before it decides to throw you in for a spin, beat you for your cash, and leave you rotting in a dark alley somewhere.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

"We dance on the lines of our destruction and continuation, to waltz and achieve the happiness of our existence, and to be the laughter in a world of silence."

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:48 pm

Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:The inexplicably popular ugly, 3-d Pixel game was bought by Microsoft for an inordinate amount of money because they are idiots. I really don't see why I should care.

I really, really don't get the point of this sort of post. If you actually don't care, why are you reading the thread? More to the point, why are you posting in it? Some sort of "I'm too cool for you people, and I feel the need to inform everyone about how amazingly cool I am by insulting your choice of games. Furthermore, I am so cool that, despite specifically going into the thread and posting a reply, I still somehow don't care" mentality?
piss

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Geanna wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
For once, you're right.

Indeed - the only thing I'd find more suitable for Microsoft is following the route of Atari and jumping off a building in a drunken rage.

Microsoft: ''Our new entertainment system, the Xbone 2.0''

*Ooo Ahh*

Microsoft: ''Just kidding it's shit''

Was the original modus operandi however now we can add this to the equation and still bang our heads against a grenade.

''You want to play Minecraft? Sign up for Micorosft shit this, Microsoft shit this, and buy an Xbox you lazy bum''

How about I refuse to update the game - or strangle it in its sleep and bury the damn thing in the backyard before you decide to fuck with my sanity even further Microsoft. It'd be analogous at least to ripping out the bad ending of a book up to the point where you reach a good point in the story and saying it was a good game before it decides to throw you in for a spin, beat you for your cash, and leave you rotting in a dark alley somewhere.

I've been thinking people should start backing it up before something bad happens.

I personally don't know how to do that, but I'll be happy to spread it around.

It's free to access with an online connection after you buy it. Or at least, that was what the Mojang contract stipulated.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Shaggai wrote:
Nationes Pii Redivivi wrote:The inexplicably popular ugly, 3-d Pixel game was bought by Microsoft for an inordinate amount of money because they are idiots. I really don't see why I should care.

I really, really don't get the point of this sort of post. If you actually don't care, why are you reading the thread? More to the point, why are you posting in it? Some sort of "I'm too cool for you people, and I feel the need to inform everyone about how amazingly cool I am by insulting your choice of games. Furthermore, I am so cool that, despite specifically going into the thread and posting a reply, I still somehow don't care" mentality?

But cowadooty has better graphics and innovative FPS mechanics!

Geanna
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Geanna » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Shaggai wrote:

The bold practically outlines the job description for a Game Critic :p Though, I can agree - I don't see the point in the comment at least outside of trying to bait someone - unless narcissism is out in the air this season - Though if the latter was the case I'd be more feverish with my own narcissistic tendencies. *Feels pulse* Which doesn't seem to be the case.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

"We dance on the lines of our destruction and continuation, to waltz and achieve the happiness of our existence, and to be the laughter in a world of silence."

Cata Larga
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cata Larga » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:00 pm

Well, that's capitalism for you. Just be glad Electronic Arts didn't get them first.
The Confederated Free Cities and Departments of the Catalarguense Commonwealth
“Invikta" - "Unconquered"
Capital: Puerte-de-Liberete | Largest City: Kapa-Trinieta | Population: 97,370,679
Quotes
Seljuq Kyiv wrote:>jesus: the secret muslim
Constaniana wrote:No, you see, when a football player is good enough, they start getting funny, but natural, urges. Urges that tell them to mark their dominance over other players by sinking their teeth into their flesh.
Storefronts
None worth mentioning

Alliances
None

Current Foreign Involvements
None

Miscellany
The Litorean Catholic Church recognizes the authority of the Roman Curia

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:11 pm

Geanna wrote:
Shaggai wrote:I really, really don't get the point of this sort of post. If you actually don't care, why are you reading the thread? More to the point, why are you posting in it? Some sort of "I'm too cool for you people, and I feel the need to inform everyone about how amazingly cool I am by insulting your choice of games. Furthermore, I am so cool that, despite specifically going into the thread and posting a reply, I still somehow don't care" mentality?

The bold practically outlines the job description for a Game Critic :p Though, I can agree - I don't see the point in the comment at least outside of trying to bait someone - unless narcissism is out in the air this season - Though if the latter was the case I'd be more feverish with my own narcissistic tendencies. *Feels pulse* Which doesn't seem to be the case.

Internet hipsters. Simple. "I'm showing how edgy I am by telling everyone I don't give a shit about a popular mainstream game."
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Toronina
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Toronina » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Welp, I'm never playing Minecraft again
Now I'm back in the ring to take another swing

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:02 am

I think Microsoft would get better value for money investing in developers working on games that might be a future Angry Birds or Minecraft. Games have a limited lifespan of being massively popular, so paying huge amounts of money for an already popular game things can only go downhill.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:12 am

Toronina wrote:Welp, I'm never playing Minecraft again

Why not?
P2TM Mentor
TG me!
Discord available on request as well
Or join the Mentor Discord server!

Such a cool time I select, looking out my window, and that's that

The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Founded: May 17, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:54 am

The Armed Republic of Dutch coolness wrote:

Why not?

Because goblins.
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:50 am

-> Game has millions of followers
-> Massive Youtube presence
-> Is ingrained into game-culture
-> Makes hundred+ million a year
-> Massive brand awareness

Yeah. Silly Microsoft.
Last edited by Lordieth on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:10 am

Lordieth wrote:

Yeah. Silly Microsoft.

Yeah.
Just the honor of owning Minecraft and it's huge following is worth those billions.
I have a severe case of addiction to writing. At least 3k words every day is my fix.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:12 am

Finland SSR wrote:
Lordieth wrote:

Yeah. Silly Microsoft.

Yeah.
Just the honor of owning Minecraft and it's huge following is worth those billions.

It's a feather in Microsoft's cap. Microsoft is desperate to portray a certain image. Personally, I think this is bad news for Minecraft, but I could be wrong. If they stay faithful and let Mojang do their thing, with Microsoft's budget behind them Minecraft could benefit greatly.

I just hope beyond hope that they don't make it a subscription service. Or I'm done with it.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Toronina
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Toronina » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:03 am

The Armed Republic of Dutch coolness wrote:

Why not?

Because in all likelyhood, we are gonna have to pay money for extra stuff, that should be free. We all know what big company like Microsoft are like
Now I'm back in the ring to take another swing

Finland SSR
Post Marshal

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Finland SSR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:05 am

Lordieth wrote:
Finland SSR wrote:Yeah.

It's a feather in Microsoft's cap. Microsoft is desperate to portray a certain image. Personally, I think this is bad news for Minecraft, but I could be wrong. If they stay faithful and let Mojang do their thing, with Microsoft's budget behind them Minecraft could benefit greatly.

I just hope beyond hope that they don't make it a subscription service. Or I'm done with it.

I just hope they keep the modding and perhaps even make it easier. That's all I need from Minecraft, besides that - I don't really care. Of course, no paid subscriptions and and paywall stuff would be nice, but I have people.

Read my RWBY fanfiction!

The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:14 am

Toronina wrote:
The Armed Republic of Dutch coolness wrote:Why not?

Because in all likelyhood, we are gonna have to pay money for extra stuff, that should be free. We all know what big company like Microsoft are like

Just like with Windows, Office, and Halo, right?
P2TM Mentor
TG me!
Discord available on request as well
Or join the Mentor Discord server!

Such a cool time I select, looking out my window, and that's that

The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Toronina wrote:
The Armed Republic of Dutch coolness wrote:Why not?

I would rate that "somewhat unlikely". Minecraft already makes a lot of money, and will continue to make massive amounts of money for quite a while to come. The graphics are intentionally simple, so they'll never get outdated. The mechanics will never get outdated, either, because they were never cutting-edge, so that's not going to be a reason to drop it. Plus, Minecraft has the ultimate secret weapon - small children. There's a continuous supply of new people in the right demographics. And since there's such a wide range of potential things to do, it appeals to more than just small children, making an even larger pool of potential players. They don't need to make existing players pay more. They've got enough new ones to make up for it.

(Also, can you imagine the backlash they would get over that? They're getting enough flak already just for buying Mojang. Making Minecraft pay-to-play would result in so much outrage that they would never live it down.)
piss

Talanzaar
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Talanzaar » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:16 pm

I have a feeling that this is going to go horribly wrong
Chancellor of the Region of Esamir

Cata Larga
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cata Larga » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:18 pm

In case some people are still panicking, I'd like to remind you all that Facebook bought Oculus Rift a while back in a multi-billion dollar deal and it hasn't been fucked yet.
The Confederated Free Cities and Departments of the Catalarguense Commonwealth
“Invikta" - "Unconquered"
Capital: Puerte-de-Liberete | Largest City: Kapa-Trinieta | Population: 97,370,679
Quotes
Seljuq Kyiv wrote:>jesus: the secret muslim
Constaniana wrote:No, you see, when a football player is good enough, they start getting funny, but natural, urges. Urges that tell them to mark their dominance over other players by sinking their teeth into their flesh.
Storefronts
None worth mentioning

Alliances
None

Current Foreign Involvements
None

Miscellany
The Litorean Catholic Church recognizes the authority of the Roman Curia

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:25 pm

Well shit.

Maybe Microsoft can kick the kiddies out of the game. Take up too much server space.

I don't even play Minecraft anymore, so this doesn't really affect me. But for $2.5 billion? I would've just offered a nickel and three corn chips, Mojang will take anything.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:47 am

Talanzaar wrote:I have a feeling that this is going to go horribly wrong

Why exactly?
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General