NATION

PASSWORD

Low-paying dream job vs. high-paying boring job

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you rather have a low-paying job that you love, or a high-paying job that's boring?

Low-paying dream job
43%
High-paying boring job
57%

Total votes : 155

Lalaki
Senator

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:58 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Lalaki wrote:
I want to. I'm not saying I will live up to it, but it is one of my main goals in life. To serve others and live without a lot of things. I hope I can fulfill my dream.

If you were presented with a true choice, I doubt you wouldn't take the monies over your ideals and stuff. We humans are selfish and greedy.

My goal, along with most others, isn't charity and humbleness. That would be a nice secondary goal, that would be something good to brag about in a sugar coated fashion. That would be nice to make yourself feel slightly better. But it's not most of our goals.

My first and for most goal is money, it is power. Money = Power and vice versa, those two are interchangeable, and both would still equal the other. I care for charity, I care for the well being of others, my primary goal is to have a good life, to have my money that I rightfully want, to have the power that comes along with it. If it's between me and money and power, unlike like most idealists that cannot accept the true nature of our own self-interests or are not simply aware of it, I would have to take the money. I've already recognized that we are greedy, I would not reject myself and deny the money.

However one of those powers is charity and being able to help the poor ^_^
Something you cannot when your held back by something pitiful like idealistic humbleness and charity that in the end holds you back further.

I would hope I wouldn't take the money over wanting to help others. That's all. If I do make a lot of money growing up, I would still choose to have a basic lifestyle.
Born again free market capitalist.

The Fascist American Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist American Empire » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:58 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:It'd be great if you'd not project your own shortcomings on the entire species.

money isn't everything.

In fact, its one of the least important things despite constantly being promoted by consumerist culture as the Most important.

True. However, money can make those things that are important more readily available (Ah ha! Moment here), such as decent food, water, and healthcare.

Americans, hands off Ukraine and let Russia do what they will in their own sphere of influence! You are not the world's police!
You obviously do since you posted a response like the shifty little red velvet pseudo ant you are. Yes I am onto your little tricks you hissing pest you exoskeleton brier patch you. Now crawl back in to that patch of grass you call hell and hiss some more. -Benuty
[quote="Arkandros";p="20014230"]

RIP Eli Waller
Race! It is a feeling, not a reality: ninety-five percent, at least, is a feeling. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today. -Benito Mussolini

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:59 pm

Lalaki wrote:
greed and death wrote:Can you do that forever ? Eventually you retire because you can not do that job anymore. Live off the generous 1,200 dollar a month social security ?

Get a real job, even if you stay single you will end up having to be a greeter at walmart to make ends meet.

Of course. I want to be a journalist, but plan on becoming an optometrist or pharmacist if that is not realistic. I simply wanted to say that for more than half of the world's population, $25,000 is a decent income. Not for the United States, not for Europe. But for someone in Algeria, Kenya, or Afghanistan, that feeds the family.

Yeah and when you go to Afghanistan you can buy a cup of tea for about a penny as opposed to 4 dollars Starbucks charges here. Comparing other developing countries to us is rather silly. You should stick tot he developed world and then use cost of living adjustments.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:59 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:
Aggicificicerous wrote:
I live fairly well right now on about $12,000 a year. Low-income housing is fine for me - what do I need a big house for? I eat well, my healthcare is cheap, internet is only about $40 a month for a decent connection.

And if you plan on doing that for life, what do you plan to do for retirement?

Well, assuming I'm on the $30,000 a year income (in reality it's better paying than that, but this is fine), I'll probably increase my expenditures a bit. But I don't see myself going beyond $15,000 a year. That means I'm putting away $15,000 a year minus whatever I'd pay in taxes. I don't plan on retiring at 65 - why retire from something I love - so I'd have plenty left over for my last few years.

Lalaki wrote:
If the government provided more public welfare, this would be doable. With universal health insurance, public housing, etc.

Which area of the country do you live in?

The country? I live in British Columbia.

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:00 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Digital Planets wrote:
You're doing life wrong then.

If 30,000 is enough for you to live off of comfortably, then yes, this, you're doing life wrong.

If you're well off with $30,000 a year then you're doing something right with coupons and coercion.

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:
If you were presented with a true choice, I doubt you wouldn't take the monies over your ideals and stuff. We humans are selfish and greedy.

My goal, along with most others, isn't charity and humbleness. That would be a nice secondary goal, that would be something good to brag about in a sugar coated fashion. That would be nice to make yourself feel slightly better. But it's not most of our goals.

My first and for most goal is money, it is power. Money = Power and vice versa, those two are interchangeable, and both would still equal the other. I care for charity, I care for the well being of others, my primary goal is to have a good life, to have my money that I rightfully want, to have the power that comes along with it. If it's between me and money and power, unlike like most idealists that cannot accept the true nature of our own self-interests or are not simply aware of it, I would have to take the money. I've already recognized that we are greedy, I would not reject myself and deny the money.

Something you cannot when your held back by something pitiful like idealistic humbleness and charity that in the end holds you back further.

It'd be great if you'd not project your own shortcomings on the entire species.

Don't be foolish. Those aren't shortcomings at all. If anything, only a tiny population has such values, but it isn't surprising that these are the same people who make millions.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Lalaki
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:01 pm

Aggicificicerous wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:And if you plan on doing that for life, what do you plan to do for retirement?

Well, assuming I'm on the $30,000 a year income (in reality it's better paying than that, but this is fine), I'll probably increase my expenditures a bit. But I don't see myself going beyond $15,000 a year. That means I'm putting away $15,000 a year minus whatever I'd pay in taxes. I don't plan on retiring at 65 - why retire from something I love - so I'd have plenty left over for my last few years.

Lalaki wrote:
If the government provided more public welfare, this would be doable. With universal health insurance, public housing, etc.

Which area of the country do you live in?

Canada. That explains a lot. You guys have extensive social welfare.
Last edited by Lalaki on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:03 pm

Lalaki wrote:
Aggicificicerous wrote:

Canada. That explains a lot. You guys have extensive social welfare.

Having a reasonable healthcare system is certainly helpful.

True American States
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby True American States » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:07 pm

In this economy be happy you have a job.
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:i don't know you, but I suspect on some level, you're an actual conservative, not one of the ragbag of gun nuts, arch-reactionaries, fringe politics aficionados, and anarcho-capitalists hijacking the term nowadays.

Terstotzka wrote:Bit fancy, bit cool, But still pretty American :p

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:14 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:I've lived all of my life in a relatively wealthy (around $140,000 annually) family, so imagining how much worse $30k would be, and how much better $250k would be based on that reference-point, I'm going to go with the high-paying boring job.

I've been living at about 42K a year for the last few years and know how hard it is around that point. Now even $70K would make life a lot easier for me. S250K a year? I'd be able to save most of my earnings and never fear a rainy day. I've been living near that scraping point and just desire to a bit better off than where I am now. $60 to 80K would be awesome... anything more and I'd be in paradise.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Rebellious Fishermen
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rebellious Fishermen » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:16 pm

I'm not sure I agree with the conditions you set, but in general I say dream job.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:19 pm

This question really doesn't make any sense once you add the "it'll be fixed for life" option.

The problem between getting a low-paying dream job vs the high-paying boring job is not in the terms of "Oh I'll remain there forever" only an idiot would think that.

I'd take the Low-Paying Dream Job because that is a springboard to actually manage to get higher positions within that field that I enjoy during and I'll never get bored being the supervisor or rising the ladder on that particular field. So if this was between a low-paying dream job and high-paying boring job within the same field I'd pick the high-paying job.

However, if you place it "Low-paying job in your dream field" vs "High-paying job in a field you do not enjoy and have never been good at to begin with" and there's chances of advancement within both then of course I am going to pick the low-paying job still.

Your assumption that people want to work at a job for life is pretty misplaced.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Lalaki wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

I would hope I wouldn't take the money over wanting to help others. That's all. If I do make a lot of money growing up, I would still choose to have a basic lifestyle.

The good thing is that you can use the money to help others.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Atelia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Atelia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:20 pm

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."
Last edited by Atelia on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orthodox Crusader, Proud Pontic Greek living in Moscow, Traditionalist, Eurasianist, ENTJ single man.

☩Defend Humanity, Rebel Against The Modern World☩

Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

Lalaki
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:21 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Lalaki wrote:

Exactly. I think I need to reword what I believe.

The good thing is that you can use the money to help others.

I want to make a lot of money, and give most of it away to family and people in need. I want to live a basic life myself.
Last edited by Lalaki on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:21 pm

I do pretty well.

I dream of the low paying dream job.

Computing was fun; but it's all about money now.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Wanderjar
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wanderjar » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:22 pm

I did exactly that, by joining the Army. Sure the pay's crappy at first but stick it out for twenty years I'll make over 100K.
MT
The Dual Habsburg Kingdom and Afrikaner Free State of Wanderjar

King Kristian von Habsburg
State President Michael Blair
Prime Minister Jan van Hoyek
Economic Left/Right: 9.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.59
"And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the LORD, when I shall lay my wrath upon them." Ezekiel 25:17

FT
Loyal World of the Imperium of Man

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:23 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:I do pretty well.

I like computing; it's all about the money, but computing still has a lot to offer.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:41 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:I do pretty well.

I like computing; it's all about the money, but computing still has a lot to offer.

It depends on the company and the country. Somebody learning to be a programmer in the US has a decent chance of not getting decent work. Americans cost too much after all. I could really use a person. I have been told I can hire one as long as they are in India. The problem is the work I need done is time zone dependent. The managements response is "well let them do the architecture work and you can do the manual work." Everybody wins right?

There used to be an adventure spirit. Only some companies have it now.

I was an acquisition and they really don't know what to do with me. The only thing that has kept me going is the coworkers actually trying to get me used more. I introduced the naming services guy to Infoblox and bluecat and gave him a lesson and history of DNS. He went to the uppers and told them they really have a "gold mine" with me. A guy who quit tried to tell them you really need to take care of me and another coworker as when these two are giving a task to solve something completely weird; they do it all the time. Management was "yeah yeah whatever"

The work isn't stimulating anymore. Which is sad because they are a 2 billion a year multinational. Their silly HR department thinks I can't cross industries.....

Time for a new company. I am looking for that place that will make me want to go to work again.
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Skeckoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skeckoa » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:42 pm

Get a roommate, live with extended family (as is common for people who I know, so I don't feel like that much of a leech), I'd take a 60.000 pay cut as to not dread half of 5/6 days a week.

If I ever have to live for someone else though, that'd change. (like a spouse, child, or friend in need)
One of those PC liberals with anti-colonist sympathies
——————————
————————————
————————————
CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC
————————————

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:46 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

It depends on the company and the country. Somebody learning to be a programmer in the US has a decent chance of not getting decent work. Americans cost too much after all. I could really use a person. I have been told I can hire one as long as they are in India. The problem is the work I need done is time zone dependent. The managements response is "well let them do the architecture work and you can do the manual work." Everybody wins right?

I was an acquisition and they really don't know what to do with me. The only thing that has kept me going is the coworkers actually trying to get me used more. I introduced the naming services guy to Infoblox and bluecat and gave him a lesson and history of DNS. He went to the uppers and told them they really have a "gold mine" with me. A guy who quit tried to tell them you really need to take care of me and another coworker as when these two are giving a task to solve something completely weird; they do it all the time. Management was "yeah yeah whatever"

The work isn't stimulating anymore. Which is sad because they are a 2 billion a year multinational. Their silly HR department thinks I can't cross industries.....

Time for a new company. I am looking for that place that will make me want to go to work again.

To be fair, most of us who grew up with the old computers and have seen technology advance are more suitable to be cross-field material in the computer industry.

I myself am trying to get into computer repairs and service. I think the hardware part is dying, but the software and data part? I feel that's where most people are focused nowadays. I'm not particularly interested in working for a multinational unless I am working in a department I actually feel comfortable in.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:55 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:

Have you considered electronic forensics ? Banks are hiring in their compliance compartments like mad right now, because of Dodd frank. Pay is good with the chance to be ridiculously good, and the team tends to be pulled from a variety of professions.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:58 pm

greed and death wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Have you considered electronic forensics ? Banks are hiring in their compliance compartments like mad right now, because of Dodd frank. Pay is good with the chance to be ridiculously good, and the team tends to be pulled from a variety of professions.

Actually no I haven't. I have a security background. Did Internetworking security for the DoD. I will look into that. Thanks!

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:00 pm

I'd rather take home more money, to be honest.

60,000 is a lot of money that I can use to do things I love on my free time. Any minor loss of enjoyment at work due to boredom is worth it, in my opinion.

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:01 pm

Oh, I've already got a low paying dream job, bitches!
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

The Two Jerseys
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Two Jerseys » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:06 pm

"I don't ask questions, I just take their money and use it for things that really interest me."
-George Sanders
"The Duke of Texas" is too formal for regular use. Just call me "Your Grace".
"If I would like to watch goodness, sanity, God and logic being fucked I would watch Japanese porn." -Nightkill the Emperor
"This thread makes me wish I was a moron so that I wouldn't have to comprehend how stupid the topic is." -The Empire of Pretantia
Head of State: HM King Louis
Head of Government: The Rt. Hon. James O'Dell MP, Prime Minister
Ambassador to the World Assembly: HE Sir John Ross "J.R." Ewing II, Bt.
Join Excalibur Squadron. We're Commandos who fly Spitfires. Chicks dig Commandos who fly Spitfires.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General