NATION

PASSWORD

Low-paying dream job vs. high-paying boring job

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you rather have a low-paying job that you love, or a high-paying job that's boring?

Low-paying dream job
43%
High-paying boring job
57%

Total votes : 155

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:This is why I said I would prefer something like a modified Soviet system where housing and healthcare are guaranteed (along with employment positions) and university is heavily subsidized, because then, as long as there's open positions for it, you wouldn't have to need nearly as much pay to get by or even have comfortable amenities.

Damn man. It's a little question about pay, not about how we should bring in the Soviet System or not.

And I simply gave something that would be an alternative to either (also, I answered in my edit).
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Digital Planets wrote:
Condunum wrote:Boo to the man who cannot appreciate a humble life.

I'm sorry that my wanting of a life with fast cars, hookers, and 700 pounds of cocaine in my ornate-designed mansion is ruining it for you.

It's not. I don't mind what you want in life. I mind that you consider someone else's lack of that ambition to be "doing life wrong".
password scrambled

Lalaki
Senator

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Aggicificicerous wrote:$30,000 is more than enough for me to live comfortably. I'll happily take that and a job I enjoy.

I fully agree. The only expensive thing I want as an adult is the Internet. Other than that, I want to live frugally, basically, charitably, and humbly.

I may have to change my world views for my wife (whoever she may be), but that is my personal look on life.
Last edited by Lalaki on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Born again free market capitalist.

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2007
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Digital Planets wrote:
You're doing life wrong then.

If 30,000 is enough for you to live off of comfortably, then yes, this, you're doing life wrong.

Digital Planets wrote:I want as fucking much money as I need to enjoy life, with fast cars, hookers, private planes, buying a country out and turning into a giant tourist trap, then when I die, mobilize an army to kill everyone and burn it down.

Some people live for their paychecks and the weekend. My dream job is my life.
Last edited by Aggicificicerous on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:32 pm

I wonder out of all the people that say they wish to live a humble and charitable life, how many of them would actually, genuinely do so.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:32 pm

Lalaki wrote:
Aggicificicerous wrote:$30,000 is more than enough for me to live comfortably. I'll happily take that and a job I enjoy.

I fully agree. The only expensive thing I want as an adult is the Internet. Other than that, I want to live frugally, basically, charitably, and humbly.

I may have to change my world views for my wife (whoever she may be), but that is my personal look on life.

It is more fun to be a big spender. I love money.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:33 pm

I've lived all of my life in a relatively wealthy (around $140,000 annually) family, so imagining how much worse $30k would be, and how much better $250k would be based on that reference-point, I'm going to go with the high-paying boring job.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Aggicificicerous wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:
If 30,000 is enough for you to live off of comfortably, then yes, this, you're doing life wrong.

My dream job would be the one to properly enjoy myself live out-side of work.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:33 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:I've lived all of my life in a relatively wealthy (around $140,000 annually) family, so imagining how much worse $30k would be, and how much better $250k would be based on that reference-point, I'm going to go with the high-paying boring job.

There ya go.

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Condunum wrote:
Digital Planets wrote:
I'm sorry that my wanting of a life with fast cars, hookers, and 700 pounds of cocaine in my ornate-designed mansion is ruining it for you.

It's not. I don't mind what you want in life. I mind that you consider someone else's lack of that ambition to be "doing life wrong".

Does the truth hurt? Everyone should strive to be rich, whether you're from a low-income area or just living in a small apartment, make money your money. Save it away like I am, find opportunities to make more money, open your own business and make what you can.
So you decide to open it anyway? What the heck, man?

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Pandeeria wrote:I wonder out of all the people that say they wish to live a humble and charitable life, how many of them would actually, genuinely do so.

There is nothing humble or charitable about me. That is a complete non sequitor.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Aggicificicerous wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

Digital Planets wrote:I want as fucking much money as I need to enjoy life, with fast cars, hookers, private planes, buying a country out and turning into a giant tourist trap, then when I die, mobilize an army to kill everyone and burn it down.

Who says you can't work for Saturdays with a 30 pack and a couple friends? Not I, no sir.
password scrambled

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:34 pm

Digital Planets wrote:
Condunum wrote:It's not. I don't mind what you want in life. I mind that you consider someone else's lack of that ambition to be "doing life wrong".

Does the truth hurt? Everyone should strive to be rich, whether you're from a low-income area or just living in a small apartment, make money your money. Save it away like I am, find opportunities to make more money, open your own business and make what you can.

That's certainly your opinion.
password scrambled

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:35 pm

On a purely theoretical basis, I would choose the low-paying dream job. I'm not much of a consumerist (except for the occasional restaurant meal) and money actually doesn't matter all that much to me. Money is mostly about respect for me and even then I consider it not all that great.

The problem is, I'm not sure a ''dream job'' exists for me. I mean, what would this job be like? The things I consider myself talented at in life are the things that make no money unless you find me a job where you just play Call of Duty all day long. But that can't be the case because in the OP it says that the amount of work is the same for both options (12 hours of COD playing a day for a professional team with a 30,000 yearly entry fee isn't ''hard work'' at all compared to 12 hours of paper-pushing, research, report-writing, and lousy client interactions/phone calls). I feel like I'd be cheating if I said ''dream job'' and then described the job as thus.

I find teaching pretty much as boring as research, office paper-pushing, report writing, or performing experiments in a lab. Basically, all the jobs in the world sound incredibly boring to me.

It would be cool to be a great author who's inspired all the time except I'm never inspired to write anything. I'll take 30,000 a year if I could spend my time writing such great books as GRRM's stories (and it wouldn't bother me in the least if they don't sell). But this ''dream job'' is not good to me because I don't have the talent...

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a ''dream job'' for my specific personality and skill sets. All work is pretty dull and most of it in this world consists of doing things which I'm not well-suited for/find stressful and annoying (handling files, writing reports, calling and seeing clients, research).

So I'd probably say...

THEORETICALLY if there IS such a thing as a dream job for me (though I don't know what that would look like but let's assume I could really enjoy it), I would take it even if it just makes 30,000. Money isn't everything and I don't have much use for it.

Making 30,000 for the rest of my life doesn't bother me. My parents won't be impressed and some of my friends won't either. But I don't care, so long as I'm having a hell of a time at work.

THE MAJORITY of your life is spent at work. If it can be enjoyable than so much the better right? It's a really rare thing these days.

The qualification though, is that I'm not sure such a thing can practically exist for me (having a hard time conceptualizing that a ''dream job'' might look like besides entering video game tournaments with a paid yearly entry fee of 30,000).

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:36 pm

My thinking is that if you earn $500k a year from the time you're, say, 20, and you save/invest a decent part of your income each year for 25 years, you'll be able to quit working when you're in your 40s. Even sooner if you save more, or want to have less income after you stop working.

Like, let's say you save $200,000 per year from the time you're 20 to 45, and your amount saved rises by 3% inflation(as income goes up), and you get a 7% return each year, you'll have about ~$19 million by the time you're 45 to live off of for the rest of your life. The value would go slightly up and down depending on how much you save, how long you want to work, etc. But I'd rather tough it out in a boring job (with a not-too-shabby salary) for 20 years, then you'll have a guaranteed 6-figure income for the rest of your life, without working. Personally I'd probably try to save even more, for less time, so I could finish working in my late-30s, and then live my life doing whatever I wanted, which is far better than a dream job. :)
Last edited by Atlanticatia on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Aggicificicerous
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Aggicificicerous » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:37 pm

Condunum wrote:
Aggicificicerous wrote:

Who says you can't work for Saturdays with a 30 pack and a couple friends? Not I, no sir.

And you don't need $250,000 and five shitty days a week just so you can enjoy beer with friends.

Lalaki
Senator

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lalaki » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:37 pm

Pandeeria wrote:I wonder out of all the people that say they wish to live a humble and charitable life, how many of them would actually, genuinely do so.

I want to. I'm not saying I will live up to it, but it is one of my main goals in life. To serve others and live without a lot of things. I hope I can fulfill my dream.
Born again free market capitalist.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:37 pm

Also, publishing Marxist literature is a lot easier when you have money.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:38 pm

Aggicificicerous wrote:
Condunum wrote:Who says you can't work for Saturdays with a 30 pack and a couple friends? Not I, no sir.

And you don't need $250,000 and five shitty days a week just so you can enjoy beer with friends.

Yeah, but you can afford to have sooo much more fun than at $30k.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:38 pm

If politics is the high-paying boring job, I'd go fuck yeah. If not, I'd take the political job. Being a member of Parliament would be fun...
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Lenciland
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:38 pm

I feel bad... My dream job is something I love and it would just so happen to earn me large sums if money.
But for the sake of the hypothetical I choose the high-paying boring job because I would have an interesting social life and I could travel to places that I may never be able to see if I wait and save for retirement on the low-paying job. Places like the Taj Mahal might not be around in five years and I want to travel around the world.
Quotes:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Lenciland wrote:No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Greta One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.

Misoyah Heathens, there is only the one true Ass.
Lo, for his prophet Andy Kaufman came down from on high, to show the ways of the troll.

Karlsreich wrote:And on the fourth day, God created Saturn. And he liked it. So he put a ring on it.

C is for colonies. Rightly we boast. That of all the great nations. Great Britain has the most.
Lenciland & Saint Kitten, neighbors in Hell.
Cthulu be praised!!

Ancient Magmia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ancient Magmia » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:40 pm

I want to say high-paying job, but that really depends on what specifically the job is. But then again, I can't imagine doing a dream job and not moving up in salary at all. And with the type of salary I'd get from the high-paying job, I could use some of that money to do fun stuff on the side, making up for the boringness of the job.

So yeah, I'd go with the high-paying job.
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. - George Orwell
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato
Dear Diary, I'm Having a Little Problem
Add 3984 to my post count

My Last.fm, Spotify profile, RYM, and Essential Magmiacore
Hip hop, jazz, reggae, soul/neo-soul, R&B, and funk fan

The Remnants of Kobol
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Remnants of Kobol » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:41 pm

I don't care about the work as long as I can enjoy my outside life. I would rather have a shitty job but then be able to enjoy travel, my hobbies, have better hours, and more respect than to enjoy my work.

For your given salaries, it would be difficult to even pay for housing, food, and gas in the tank on the lower end. I don't care how much I enjoy my job if I have to wonder how I'm going to keep the lights on next month. That's simple Maslow...
Natum a bellum cinis.

Military Commander of the USGP
Never forget the USG
The USGP
Army: 35,856,000 Infantry Available for Homeworlds Defense (6,754,000 active)
Navy: 4 Strikestar Heavy Capital Warships, 54 Battlestars (Classes: 18 Mercury, 15 Jupiter, 21 Odin), 91 Gunstars
Marine Corps: 936,265 Marines
Expeditionary Forces: 2,573,958 explorers and settlers. 5 Jupiter Class Battlestars to support a fleet of transport and explorer ships.
Special Operations Command: ~12,000 Special Operations Personnel
Every able bodied/minded citizen between the ages of 18 and 35 is a member of the military, militia style. Ship numbers are less than the US Navy and spread over 13 planets.
"So Say We All."

Idzequitch
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 22, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Idzequitch » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:42 pm

So basically, the question is would I rather have fun at work, or at my leisure.
I'd much rather have fun during my free time at the expense of having "fun" at work.
Twenty-something, male, heterosexual, Protestant Christian. Politically unaffiliated libertarian-ish centrist.
Meyers-Briggs INFP.
Enneagram Type 9.
Political Compass Left/Right 0.13
Libertarian/Authoritarian -5.38
9Axes Results

I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view, and life went on no matter who was wrong or right. - Billy Joel

Lenciland
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenciland » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:My thinking is that if you earn $500k a year from the time you're, say, 20, and you save/invest a decent part of your income each year for 25 years, you'll be able to quit working when you're in your 40s. Even sooner if you save more, or want to have less income after you stop working.

Like, let's say you save $200,000 per year from the time you're 20 to 45, and your amount saved rises by 3% inflation(as income goes up), and you get a 7% return each year, you'll have about ~$19 million by the time you're 45 to live off of for the rest of your life. The value would go slightly up and down depending on how much you save, how long you want to work, etc. But I'd rather tough it out in a boring job (with a not-too-shabby salary) for 20 years, then you'll have a guaranteed 6-figure income for the rest of your life, without working. Personally I'd probably try to save even more, for less time, so I could finish working in my late-30s, and then live my life doing whatever I wanted, which is far better than a dream job. :)

Pretty much this.
Quotes:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Lenciland wrote:No there is no Messiah only the Misoiah and that is the Greta One. Bombadil and I am his prophet.

Misoyah Heathens, there is only the one true Ass.
Lo, for his prophet Andy Kaufman came down from on high, to show the ways of the troll.

Karlsreich wrote:And on the fourth day, God created Saturn. And he liked it. So he put a ring on it.

C is for colonies. Rightly we boast. That of all the great nations. Great Britain has the most.
Lenciland & Saint Kitten, neighbors in Hell.
Cthulu be praised!!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General