NATION

PASSWORD

Fast Food Discussion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:16 pm

It's high calorie food that's made quickly. There's nothing special about it, 1,000 calories from McDonalds and 1,000 calories from the farmers market are identical. If you want something quick and you're prepared to burn or live with the calories it's fine.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Neo Industrium
Envoy

Founded: Jan 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Industrium » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:52 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:I absolutely LOVE fast food.

Fast food is the best. Burgers, fries, coke...

It is unhealthy but not as unhealthy as most people imagine it to be.

My favorite is McDonald's. Literally: EVERYTIME a good time. I'm loving it! Its my favorite corporation. I have thousands of Ronald the clown sketches in my childhood sketch books... he's the best.

One day I want to become a CEO of a large fast food place too. I have been truly inspired by McDonald's. It will be called McLannisters.

I don't understand why fast food gets so much hate.

McDonalds is the best.

McDonalds is love. McDonalds is life.
Ex-Commander in Chief and current WA Delegate of the Anarchist Alliance.
Proud Low Dictator Of DANS
Author of the Pipeline Standards Act
Mallorea and Riva should resign
Yes, but the people would prefer John A. drunk to George Brown sober. - John A MacDonald
L'État n'a pas d'affaires dans les chambres à coucher de la nation.- Pierre Trudeau
Vive le Quebec Libre!- Charles de Gaulle
Proud Canadian from Vancouver, nerdfighter, secularist

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:16 pm

Usually gross, almost always unethical, and quite often a necessary function of my budget.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:I absolutely LOVE fast food.

Fast food is the best. Burgers, fries, coke...

It is unhealthy but not as unhealthy as most people imagine it to be.

My favorite is McDonald's. Literally: EVERYTIME a good time. I'm loving it! Its my favorite corporation. I have thousands of Ronald the clown sketches in my childhood sketch books... he's the best.

One day I want to become a CEO of a large fast food place too. I have been truly inspired by McDonald's. It will be called McLannisters.

I don't understand why fast food gets so much hate.

McDonalds is the best.

You are so right. I LOVE McDonald's. Every since I was a little kid It was my favorite restaurant. I go there as much as I can.

Vicious Debaters
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Debaters » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:34 pm

Threlizdun wrote:Usually gross, almost always unethical, and quite often a necessary function of my budget.

This :p

I really like sub shops quite a bit better than McDonald's or the other greaseburger restaurants. At least when you go somewhere and buy a sub, you can watch them make it and it's somewhat healthy.

Ryojin
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryojin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:35 pm

Des-Bal wrote:It's high calorie food that's made quickly. There's nothing special about it, 1,000 calories from McDonalds and 1,000 calories from the farmers market are identical. If you want something quick and you're prepared to burn or live with the calories it's fine.

That's misleading, but I agree with your base argument. The 1,000 calories from McDonalds and the 1,000 calories from the farmers market are the same in number of calories, yes, but no where near the same in nutritional value. Especially considering the high amount of fat and carbhydrates in fast food compared to the amount of protein really is something, though. That something being.. uh, gross.

A 20 piece McNugget meal has, according to McDonald's website, 940 calories, 44g protein, 59g fat, and 59g carbs, weighing at roughly 12oz. A rough search shows that 12oz of just chicken breast meat is 374 calories, 4.22g of fat, 0g carbs, 78.55g of protein. Whatever is in fast food it isn't regular meat, and saying a 1,000 calories is a 1,000 calories is to short sighted in my opinion.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Vicious Debaters wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:Usually gross, almost always unethical, and quite often a necessary function of my budget.

This :p

I really like sub shops quite a bit better than McDonald's or the other greaseburger restaurants. At least when you go somewhere and buy a sub, you can watch them make it and it's somewhat healthy.

You should eat what tastes good. Life is too short to eat boring food, and it isn't even unhealthy. Fast food has all sorts of good stuff like protein in the meat, vegetables in the burgers and fries, and water in the soft drinks.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Ryojin wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:It's high calorie food that's made quickly. There's nothing special about it, 1,000 calories from McDonalds and 1,000 calories from the farmers market are identical. If you want something quick and you're prepared to burn or live with the calories it's fine.

That's misleading, but I agree with your base argument. The 1,000 calories from McDonalds and the 1,000 calories from the farmers market are the same in number of calories, yes, but no where near the same in nutritional value. Especially considering the high amount of fat and carbhydrates in fast food compared to the amount of protein really is something, though. That something being.. uh, gross.

A 20 piece McNugget meal has, according to McDonald's website, 940 calories, 44g protein, 59g fat, and 59g carbs, weighing at roughly 12oz. A rough search shows that 12oz of just chicken breast meat is 374 calories, 4.22g of fat, 0g carbs, 78.55g of protein. Whatever is in fast food it isn't regular meat, and saying a 1,000 calories is a 1,000 calories is to short sighted in my opinion.

Not regular meat? Whatever do you mean?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Ryojin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ryojin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Ryojin wrote:That's misleading, but I agree with your base argument. The 1,000 calories from McDonalds and the 1,000 calories from the farmers market are the same in number of calories, yes, but no where near the same in nutritional value. Especially considering the high amount of fat and carbhydrates in fast food compared to the amount of protein really is something, though. That something being.. uh, gross.

Not regular meat? Whatever do you mean?

It doesn't equal anywhere near the same value of nutrition as chicken. So what exactly is is chicken McNuggets?

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Ryojin wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Not regular meat? Whatever do you mean?

It doesn't equal anywhere near the same value of nutrition as chicken. So what exactly is is chicken McNuggets?

Chicken, but they grind it up into a paste and mold it into the shapes of the nuggets.

Vicious Debaters
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vicious Debaters » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:42 pm

Empire of Narnia wrote:You should eat what tastes good. Life is too short to eat boring food, and it isn't even unhealthy.

Diff'rent strokes for different folks, I guess.

I'd much rather have something with a little flavor that isn't all that fried shit.

Empire of Narnia wrote:Fast food has all sorts of good stuff like protein in the meat, vegetables in the burgers and fries, and water in the soft drinks.

^ This reads like a parody or something. Fucking hilarious.

Ryojin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ryojin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:42 pm

Empire of Narnia wrote:
Ryojin wrote:It doesn't equal anywhere near the same value of nutrition as chicken. So what exactly is is chicken McNuggets?

Chicken, but they grind it up into a paste and mold it into the shapes of the nuggets.

And magically loses half the protein, and gains about 54g of fat? There might be chicken in it, but it doesn't make the majority of it.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:43 pm

Ryojin wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Not regular meat? Whatever do you mean?

I should ask you for sources for this.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:44 pm

Ryojin wrote:
Empire of Narnia wrote:Chicken, but they grind it up into a paste and mold it into the shapes of the nuggets.

And magically loses half the protein, and gains about 54g of fat? There might be chicken in it, but it doesn't make the majority of it.

That is because they don't use dark meant, the skin or the fatty parts of the chicken. They only use certain parts of the meat, so it's not like eating a piece of KFC for example.

Dracoria
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:45 pm

Ryojin wrote:
Empire of Narnia wrote:Chicken, but they grind it up into a paste and mold it into the shapes of the nuggets.

Plain chicken breast isn't breaded and fried in oil.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:46 pm

Dracoria wrote:
Ryojin wrote:And magically loses half the protein, and gains about 54g of fat? There might be chicken in it, but it doesn't make the majority of it.

Which is why it's always so ... sad.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:47 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

I never really eat plain chicken. I always eat either nuggets or KFC.

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

Time to make some chickens happy. I'll mix the batter, you heat up the oil.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Ryojin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ryojin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:49 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Ryojin wrote:It doesn't equal anywhere near the same value of nutrition as chicken. So what exactly is is chicken McNuggets?

I should ask you for sources for this.

Here is the nutritional value for a 20 piece chicken mcnugget based on McDonald's own website, who weighs it at about 323g overall.

Here is the nutritional value for a cup of plain cooked chicken. My original calculation was off for some reason, but for the same amount of meat, 323g, it would equal: 531 calories, 11.5g of fat, 0g carbs, and 98.9g of protein.

So where does half the protein go? Where does 47.5g of fat come from? It literally flips the ratio of protein:fat around on it's head.

Ryojin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ryojin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:49 pm

Dracoria wrote:
Ryojin wrote:And magically loses half the protein, and gains about 54g of fat? There might be chicken in it, but it doesn't make the majority of it.

Breading and oil adds 48g of fat? Don't think so.

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:50 pm

Like I said, they only use white meat, but no skin and no fatty parts when they make Chicken McNuggets.

Ryojin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ryojin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Empire of Narnia wrote:Like I said, they only use white meat, but no skin and no fatty parts when they make Chicken McNuggets.

That literally changes nothing but add more argument into where does the fat come from? It changes the protein value next to nill.

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Ryojin wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I should ask you for sources for this.

Here is the nutritional value for a 20 piece chicken mcnugget based on McDonald's own website, who weighs it at about 323g overall.

Here is the nutritional value for a cup of plain cooked chicken. My original calculation was off for some reason, but for the same amount of meat, 323g, it would equal: 531 calories, 11.5g of fat, 0g carbs, and 98.9g of protein.

So where does half the protein go? Where does 47.5g of fat come from? It literally flips the ratio of protein:fat around on it's head.

The breading, oil, and seasoning is a big chunk of the mass. As such, there is less protein due to less chicken.

Ryojin wrote:
Dracoria wrote:

Breading and oil adds 48g of fat? Don't think so.

Yes, they do.
Also, chocobos.

Ryojin
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Ryojin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:53 pm

Dracoria wrote:
Ryojin wrote:Here is the nutritional value for a 20 piece chicken mcnugget based on McDonald's own website, who weighs it at about 323g overall.

The breading, oil, and seasoning is a big chunk of the mass. As such, there is less protein due to less chicken.

What chicken nuggets are you eating? While the breading may cover the entire surface of the nugget it does NOT make up a significant portion of the mass at all.
Dracoria wrote:
Ryojin wrote:Breading and oil adds 48g of fat? Don't think so.

Yes, they do.

Ah, yes, that's right. When you bite into a nugget it slews out oil like a pizza.

At least come back with some evidence other than "Yes it is, I said so". I have at least provided sources.

Dracoria
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:09 pm

From that same source, fried chicken - here being larger pieces - has about the same amount of fat as it does protein. Smaller pieces, especially when skimping on the meat and adding more batter and thus oil, will have a higher fat to protein ratio.

Now, do you have a source on that not being actual chicken meat?
Also, chocobos.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General