NATION

PASSWORD

What destroyed the Soviet Union?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What destroyed the Soviet Union?

Ronald Reagan. His aggressive foreign policy forced the Soviets to build up their military, which their economy couldn't afford. His policies ultimately resulted in Soviet collapse.
14%
Mikhail Gorbachev. His reforms were too radical and he gave too much power too the people. This prevented the government from changing over time, as the people simply revolted.
16%
Mass Media. People had become disillusioned with communism. The governments couldn't hide how backwards they were and the people rose against communism across the world.
6%
The system was broken. It was inherently flawed. After the post WWII economic boom the Soviet Union began a long slow period of decline it couldn't possibly have recovered from.
43%
Somehow it was the Jews.
22%

Total votes : 367

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:04 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:The USSR WAS basically a continuation of the Russian Empire under new management.

So then you would refer to these Russian governments as Russia. It doesn't make sense to call modern Russia the USSR when it gets expansive, especially since Russia has always been expansive.

I don't disagree. The whole "herpderp Putin reviving USSR OMG LOL" thing is a bunch of nonsense.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

United States of White America
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of White America » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:06 pm

Vistulange wrote:
United States of White America wrote:The Soviet Union destroyed itself because people finally saw that communism was and is evil.

Could you, by chance, be able to enlighten all of us as to why communism is evil?

It was created by Karl Marx, who was an incredibly horrible man. Communism lead to the destruction of the class system, and in China it led to massive genocide of intellectuals during the Cultural Revolution. Many writers who were communist, such as Franz Kafka, wrote really awful books trying to point the finger of blame onto capitalism.
Christianity is good. Atheism is not. Deal with it.

Kargintina
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintina » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:08 pm

Putin destroyered teh USZR Wit his mad hakzso he can remak itz witz with evil armies and start teh wurl wa tree

Max Worshippers
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Max Worshippers » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:10 pm

We do not need the Seals rant posted in sigs. We really do not.

Kargintina
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kargintina » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:20 pm

Kargintina wrote:Putin destroyered teh USZR Wit his mad hakzso he can remak itz witz with evil armies and start teh wurl wa tree

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:20 pm

United States of White America wrote:Franz Kafka wrote really awful books
opinion disregarded
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

United States of White America
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of White America » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:27 pm

Kubra wrote:
United States of White America wrote:Franz Kafka wrote really awful books
opinion disregarded

Why?
Christianity is good. Atheism is not. Deal with it.

Distruzionopolis
Envoy

Founded: Sep 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Distruzionopolis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:56 pm

Stalinism. Stalinism destroyed the Soviet Union.

Ubermensch Paragon that defines Democracy
cultural tradition, communitarianism, vertical collectivism, personalism, market localism, federalism, toryism
Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance - H.L. Mencken
"Egalitarianism... is incompatible with the idea of private property. Private property implies exclusivity, inequality, and difference." - Hans Herman Hoppe

Knowledge is not power; power is, instead, knowledge applied.

Bolnoa
Envoy

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bolnoa » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:38 pm

My view on this isn't in a selected option.
Want to join the The Communist Legion? You are welcome to come by anytime!

Visit, see some of our dispatches! We like new members in out region and we'd be grateful if you help us grow our region to make it bigger and better then before!

Bolnoa
Envoy

Founded: Feb 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bolnoa » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:41 pm

Distruzionopolis wrote:Stalinism. Stalinism destroyed the Soviet Union.

Main stream version of the Soviet Union died along with Stalin. My favorite age of the Soviet Union died in 1964. It officially died in 1991.
Want to join the The Communist Legion? You are welcome to come by anytime!

Visit, see some of our dispatches! We like new members in out region and we'd be grateful if you help us grow our region to make it bigger and better then before!

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:48 pm

Ronald Reagan did jack shit, first of all.

The Soviet Union just made bad economic plans and organized itself really, really terribly.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Britannic Realms
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Britannic Realms » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Boris Yeltsin.
British, Bisexual, Protestant

Pro: civil rights for all, Scottish unionism, electoral reform, mixed economics, NATO, Commonwealth, foreign aid, nuclear weapons
Neutral: Irish unionism, European Union
Anti: fascism, communism, neoliberalism, populism
Disclaimer: Many of my past forum posts (particularly the oldest ones) are not representative of my current views, I'm way more progressive than I was back then lol.

Bontavation
Diplomat

Founded: May 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bontavation » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:31 pm

All of these options are leaving out the biggest problem, was trapped in an expensive arms-race and was addicted to high oil prices. During the oil glut of the 80's, things really started to go to hell. This wasn't the only factor, but it is the biggest.

The Broken Russian States
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Broken Russian States » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:28 pm

SDI Massacred everyone in Moscow.

No seriously, didn't someone launch a coup that killed the USSR?
Somewhat official debating account of Roski

Jinos
Minister

Founded: Oct 10, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Jinos » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:38 pm

I'm largely disappointed people actually believe the Soviet Union collapsed due to some kind of inherent and irreversable flaw. Like, seriously? History is a track record of failed, brutal police states that just keep chugging. North Korea? China? Iran? Burma?

It was all Gorbachev. Maybe if his reforms had come slower, and started with economic benefits first before political freedoms, he could've kept the USSR together - maybe not as a Nation, but at least a Federation of States.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.97

Map of the Grand Commonwealth

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:55 pm

Jinos wrote:I'm largely disappointed people actually believe the Soviet Union collapsed due to some kind of inherent and irreversable flaw. Like, seriously? History is a track record of failed, brutal police states that just keep chugging. North Korea? China? Iran? Burma?

It was all Gorbachev. Maybe if his reforms had come slower, and started with economic benefits first before political freedoms, he could've kept the USSR together - maybe not as a Nation, but at least a Federation of States.

Gorbachev was only a symptom of a larger issue: the growth of liberalism within the Communist Party. The Party itself grew concerned with freedoms, especially that of the media and speech, eh oh lead to the Union's downfall.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:07 pm

The ideology, communism will never work in the long term.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Jinos wrote:I'm largely disappointed people actually believe the Soviet Union collapsed due to some kind of inherent and irreversable flaw. Like, seriously? History is a track record of failed, brutal police states that just keep chugging. North Korea? China? Iran? Burma?

So being a police state does not end in doom.
But being an economic left country does.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:14 pm

greed and death wrote:

So being a police state does not end in doom.

No. North Korea still has a command economy.

Dracoria
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dracoria » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:20 pm

Empire of Narnia wrote:
greed and death wrote:So being a police state does not end in doom.

No. North Korea still has a command economy.

The current (non-Monarch, honest!) ruler controls everything from above with an iron fist, and directs the economy disproportionately toward the military. It's not a Command economy, it's a Command&Conquer economy.
Also, chocobos.

I show solidarity with the Tea Party by drinking more tea.
I show solidarity with Occupy Wall Street by painting my toilet as a police cruiser.

Evil Grantica
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Evil Grantica » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:24 pm

Inherently flawed system plus Reagan plus Gorbachev not being nuts were the big three reasons.

Also, why no Chuck Norris option?
The other Grantican nation is Grantica.

This is the dark timeline Grantica of draconian evil.

The other one is filled with people who actually care about things other than power and oppression.

Some might say we are alike, but that's not true.

The New Sea Territory wrote: Calm down, Liberty Prime.

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Have any of those actually been a brutal police state for longer than the Soviet Union?
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:26 pm

Burma looks like its going to keep rumbling until the end of time
"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:32 pm

Didn't the Simpsons do this several years ago?
Last edited by Maineiacs on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

ODMS Babel
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 04, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby ODMS Babel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:34 pm

I would say the Soviet Union was destroyed due to nationalism and the fact that their heavy-handed approach convinced people they were conquerors rather than liberators, which made everyone hate them. Unlike other Communist regimes, the Soviet Union was far more federal and kept ethnicity-based divisions in existence (as Republics rather than independent states, but still) which meant that the various nationalistic groups that wanted their countries to be separate from the USSR had easy already-made borders to fall back upon.
Omnifunctional Drifter Mother Ship Babel

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General