NATION

PASSWORD

Is monarchy a good form of government?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is monarchy a good form of government?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes : 530

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:58 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:Revolutionary sentiment is strongest when people suffer. When people suffer, they want change. That's not rocket science. They also have a tendency to look for scapegoats, which might be the King or might be the Jews, depending on who is most convenient to blame at the time.

Republican sentiment isn't the same as revolutionary sentiment. Republican sentiment can wax and wane within a republic; revolutionary sentiment can exist without republican sentiment. How many generations under the ancien regime were tormented before they rose up and overthrew their masters? How many suffering peasants revolted against Revolutionary France?

In order to suffer, one must not be inured to hardship. Hardship alone doesn't create republican sentiment - only suffering does. This is why the great masses of oppressed peasants were not the wellspring of the French Revolution. They had been inured to hardship. It was the urban sans-cullotes who suffered. They who were unused to repression and starvation. They didn't revolt for lower taxes or the restoration of rights, as so many peasant revolts before had done. They wanted blood. They wanted the blood of aristocrats and kings. And as the ineffectual absolutist (And then constitutional) monarchy of France continued to fail to relieve this suffering, more and more of them called for it.

As they suffered under the revolutionary governments, they didn't call for the monarchy to return. On the contrary, they volunteered to suffer more - in the armies, in the fields, in the view of political repression. It was the relative prosperity of Napoleon's early reign that lessened republican sentiment. It was the relative lack of suffering that caused the people of France to clamor for Napoleon's crowning.
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Celritannia
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Celritannia » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:04 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:
Celritannia wrote:
I just don't agree with the concept of the nation-state any more.

If so, what alternative method of social organisation would you propose?

Well at the moment, especially with the UK, you need to alter the political system. Secondly, the idea of nationalism needs to be removed, we are all human, and we should recognise that.

As for the political system I wish to see? A technocratic society with an Arbitrator appointed by a Grand Council which in turn would be a public sortation of people with a specific level of IQ.

Local/regional/provincial governments would still be elected by all members of society, but the overall government for a country would be appointed.

Also, more referendums need to occur and less of a business orientated society.

My DeviantArt
Obey
When you annoy a Celritannian
U W0T M8?
Zirkagrad wrote:A person with a penchant for flying lions with long tongues, could possibly be a fan of Kiss. Maybe the classiest nation with a lion with its tongue hanging out. Enjoys only the finest tea.

Nakena wrote:NSG's Most Serene Salad
Citizen of Earth, Commonwealthian, European, British, Yorkshireman.
Atheist, Environmentalist

Fezkovia
Attaché

Founded: Sep 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Fezkovia » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:09 am

Possibly, if there is a Parliament to force the King to abdicate if he's becoming too bad.
Tax isn't theft, it's rent.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:57 am

The UK in Exile wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
Oh, is that how it works? Magic?

No, Dilution.

Got it. Magic.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:05 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:Well, it would appear that we have uncovered the basic difference between monarchists and republicans.

Monarchists believe that loyalty is healthy, and republicans believe that envy is healthy. It all makes perfect sense.

is that a royal we?

No it's a common sense "we".
Christ is King
Glorify Him

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:25 pm

Distruzio wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:
is that a royal we?

ah well, you're common people so its to be expected.

Distruzio wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:
No, Dilution.

Got it. Magic.

if you think dilution is magic. sure.
Last edited by The UK in Exile on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:26 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:But if humans really are so irresponsible, what's more likely- one person turning out to be responsible, or a majority of people turning out to be responsible? Why is one tyrant worse than a thousand or a million?

Democracy is homeopathic Monarchy, it takes something incredibly dangerous and dilutes millions of times until it can't do any real damage.

That is an absurd example :rofl:.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:28 pm

Benuty wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:
Democracy is homeopathic Monarchy, it takes something incredibly dangerous and dilutes millions of times until it can't do any real damage.

That is an absurd example :rofl:.

Its a metaphor. its an absurd metaphor, but then, its an absurd subject.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:33 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

Distruzio wrote:
Got it. Magic.

I don't think it is. You do.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Distruzio wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:

I think its the process of making something weaker or less concentrated. Which would seem to have relevance in a discussion about the centralization of power into a single excutive figure. But I could be wrong, maybe I do think its magic....

DEFCON 0 - not at war

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:41 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

I think its the process of making something weaker or less concentrated. Which would seem to have relevance in a discussion about the centralization of power into a single excutive figure. But I could be wrong, maybe I do think its magic....

Indeed. That's the magical bit.

You aren't arguing that the power be diluted at all, unless you're a supporter of confederalism/anarchism. You are arguing that the power be distributed rather than dispersed. Somehow, in your mind, you confuse distribution for dispersion.

That's magic.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Distruzio wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:

You aren't arguing that the power be diluted at all, unless you're a supporter of confederalism/anarchism. You are arguing that the power be distributed rather than dispersed. Somehow, in your mind, you confuse distribution for dispersion.

That's magic.

when your distributing it to people who don't agree and actively work against each other, its both. but thanks for the the pendantry.

I guess the magic was inside us all along.
Last edited by The UK in Exile on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DEFCON 0 - not at war

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:47 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

That's magic.

when your distributing it to people who don't agree and actively work against each other, its both. but thanks for the the pendantry.

I guess the magic was inside us all along.

Oh, I'm sorry. Are you under the impression that representative democracies empower the people to have a say in the actions of government? You may want to revisit poli sci.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

British Prussia
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby British Prussia » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:03 am

The thing with a constitutional monarchy is, when the government or the people become f**ked, there's always the monarchy to fall back on to be the voice of reason, works vice versa if it operates like a constitutional monarchy. Whereas if its absolute monarchy or republican democracy, you get what you're given, and you can't really do that much about it until the end of the term, or the succession.

But of course, you have to balance the power between government and the monarchy just so.
British Prussia - Britisches Preußen
Content provided by: Foreign & Trade Office | Ministry of War
Embassy | Factbook | C.W.Sentinel | Regional Map
WARCON: | Critical | Severe | Substanial | Low
Response: | Execptional | Heightened | Normal
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.69

Conservative Cosmopolitan
Cosmopolitan 18%
Secular 17%
Reactionary 4%
Authoritarian 14%
Capitalistic 12%
Pro-Military 9%
Anthropocentric 43%
Monarchy, Centre-Right, Military, Economic Interventionism, Trade, Wealth, Living Wage, Social Conservatism, Capitalism, Pro-Choice, Lesbians/Gays/Bisexuals, Roman Catholicism, Hong Kong, Commonwealth of Nations, Anglosphere, Conservative Party (UK), National Party (NZ)

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:05 am

British Prussia wrote:The thing with a constitutional monarchy is, when the government or the people become f**ked, there's always the monarchy to fall back on to be the voice of reason, works vice versa if it operates like a constitutional monarchy. Whereas if its absolute monarchy or republican democracy, you get what you're given, and you can't really do that much about it until the end of the term, or the succession.

But of course, you have to balance the power between government and the monarchy just so.

Where do you stand on executivism and ceremonialism? Do you think the monarch should have executive authority or should they be a blank check?

I favor executivism.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

British Prussia
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby British Prussia » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:13 am

Distruzio wrote:
British Prussia wrote:The thing with a constitutional monarchy is, when the government or the people become f**ked, there's always the monarchy to fall back on to be the voice of reason, works vice versa if it operates like a constitutional monarchy. Whereas if its absolute monarchy or republican democracy, you get what you're given, and you can't really do that much about it until the end of the term, or the succession.

Where do you stand on executivism and ceremonialism? Do you think the monarch should have executive authority or should they be a blank check?

I favor executivism.

the monarchy should have some executive power, but not too much, as well as ceremonial roles as well. a monarchy which is completely ceremonial, really, is pretty much a republican democracy. ie victor emmanuel ii did nothing to stop the fascists, but if he had a little more power, i'm sure he would've tried.
British Prussia - Britisches Preußen
Content provided by: Foreign & Trade Office | Ministry of War
Embassy | Factbook | C.W.Sentinel | Regional Map
WARCON: | Critical | Severe | Substanial | Low
Response: | Execptional | Heightened | Normal
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 2.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.69

Conservative Cosmopolitan
Cosmopolitan 18%
Secular 17%
Reactionary 4%
Authoritarian 14%
Capitalistic 12%
Pro-Military 9%
Anthropocentric 43%
Monarchy, Centre-Right, Military, Economic Interventionism, Trade, Wealth, Living Wage, Social Conservatism, Capitalism, Pro-Choice, Lesbians/Gays/Bisexuals, Roman Catholicism, Hong Kong, Commonwealth of Nations, Anglosphere, Conservative Party (UK), National Party (NZ)

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General