NATION

PASSWORD

Is monarchy a good form of government?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is monarchy a good form of government?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes : 530

Liberal Liberals
Lobbyist

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Liberal Liberals » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:25 pm

All forms of government can be good. It all depends on the competency and character of those in charge.

Its interesting how manyancient writers characterized democracy as one of the worst governments. Because just liketoday people lack the wit to manage their own affairs why should they be in charge of managing others.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:26 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:That's the same thing.

Constitutional Monarchies are Absolute Monarchies with some constitutional restraints and limits.

Thank you for the correction.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Greater-London
Senator

Founded: Nov 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater-London » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:26 pm

Margno wrote:I currently have no say. No American election has ever turned on one vote, not once, in history. My political power is exactly zero.

Except not having the final say on something, or deciding the outcome doesn't equate to "no political power".
Born in Cambridge in 1993, just graduated with a 2.1 in Politics and International Relations from the University of Manchester - WHICH IS SICK

PRO: British Unionism, Commonwealth, Liberalism, Federalism, Palestine, NHS, Decriminalizing Drugs, West Ham UTD , Garage Music &, Lager
ANTI: EU, Smoking Ban, Tuition Fees, Conservatism, Crypto-Fascist lefties, Hypocrisy, Religious Fanaticism, Religion Bashing & Armchair activists

Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.87

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:27 pm

Greater Weselton wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:No; absolute monarchies are stupid, and constitutional monarchies are unnecessary and absurd.

It is better than be ruled by Stalin.

The Russian Empire's people disagree; they're standard of living went waaaaaaaaaaay up when Stalin implemented a lot of his policies.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:27 pm

I'm not an enormous fan. We're living in the 21st century - surely we've developed enough as a culture to move on from having the descendants of the local upjumped 9th century bandit chief as heads of state.
Last edited by Avenio on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greater-London
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater-London » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:28 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:The Russian Empire's people disagree; they're standard of living went waaaaaaaaaaay up when Stalin implemented a lot of his policies.

Except that's not really an argument against "monarchy" as such its an argument for competent monarchs.
Born in Cambridge in 1993, just graduated with a 2.1 in Politics and International Relations from the University of Manchester - WHICH IS SICK

PRO: British Unionism, Commonwealth, Liberalism, Federalism, Palestine, NHS, Decriminalizing Drugs, West Ham UTD , Garage Music &, Lager
ANTI: EU, Smoking Ban, Tuition Fees, Conservatism, Crypto-Fascist lefties, Hypocrisy, Religious Fanaticism, Religion Bashing & Armchair activists

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:28 pm

Margno wrote:I currently have no say. No American election has ever turned on one vote, not once, in history. My political power is exactly zero.

What, you think your opinion's so important that it should outweigh the votes of every other person in a country? Mighty egotistic of you.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:30 pm

Greater-London wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:The Russian Empire's people disagree; they're standard of living went waaaaaaaaaaay up when Stalin implemented a lot of his policies.

Except that's not really an argument against "monarchy" as such its an argument for competent monarchs.

What do you define as competent monarch?

Several Tsars were efficient at ruling and simply treated the peasants like shit, after all lowering the standard of living quells possible uprisings.
Last edited by Pandeeria on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:31 pm

Greater-London wrote:

Many of the Tsars were quite competent; it didn't do much to help the position of the peasantry.

Alexandreon
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Alexandreon » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:31 pm

I'd like to point out that Wilhelmine Germany and Austro-Hungary were constitutional monarchies. The existence of a constitution is not, per se, sign of liberalism and democracy. UK, Norway, Sweden and so on and so forth (read: all or almost all- unsure about Lichtenstein- contemporary Western monarchies) are parliamentary monarchies, in which it is the parliament and government responsible both politically and constitutionally before the legislature that has the real power.

That being said, a monarchy has almost no political power, except extraordinary circumstances. And referring to the "cost-effectiveness ratio" evoked by some opposers of monarchies. I am not so certain if republican regimes are cheaper to finance. Personally I will not cast a vote, since I consider the OP's question way too unspecific to give answer.
Last edited by Alexandreon on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Αδιαίρετα και Αχώριστα
Official RP name: Kingdoms and States represented in the Council of State
Embassy Program
I'm pro: Eurofederalism, Liberalism, Progressivism, Choice, LGBT rights, Spiritual development, Individualism
I'm against: totalitarism, autoritarism, clericalism, militiant atheism and religioussness (regardless of denomination), overly harsh penal policies
A tune greatly showing the atmosphere of Dual Monarchy

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Pandeeria wrote:

Well, that's false. You can try to be a representative that gets elected, and since you vote, you do have political power, regardless of how little it is.

I don't have political power because it's impossible for there to be a situation in which the country does a different thing if I take one sort of action at the polls than if I take another or remain inactive. I also can't be elected to office unless my views happened to be what the country was going to do anyway, meaning that even if I run for office, I still don't have any power. The nation does. The power of the individual in any sufficiently large democracy is zero. And that's the power of every individual. We've ignored people, which do exist, and enslaved ourselves to a subhuman, subrational and submoral abstraction we call the nation.
Last edited by Margno on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

Greater-London
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater-London » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:36 pm

Pandeeria wrote:

Several Tsars were efficient at ruling and simply treated the peasants like shit, after all lowering the standard of living quells possible uprisings.

I mean if you can rule efficiently with nobody challenging you then you are a competent ruler. Whether you maintain that position by being nasty or nice it doesn't change the fact that you are a competent monarch.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Margno wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:
Well, that's false. You can try to be a representative that gets elected, and since you vote, you do have political power, regardless of how little it is.

I don't have political power because it's impossible for there to be a situation in which the country does a different thing if I take one sort of action at the polls than if I take another or remain inactive. I also can't be elected to office unless my views happened to be what the country was going to do anyway, meaning that even if I run for office, I still don't have any power. The nation does. The power of the individual in any sufficiently large democracy is zero. And that's the power of every individual. We've ignored people, which do exist, and enslaved ourselves to a subhuman, subrational and submoral abstraction we call the nation.

Collective Power comes from human nature, something that politics cannot fix.

Also, just because your an individual doesn't mean you have no power. You could attempt to collectively change the minds of everyone around, or if you feel like it, lead a coup or some shit.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:That's the same thing.

Constitutional Monarchies are Absolute Monarchies with some constitutional restraints and limits.

A constitutional monarchy is any monarchy with constitutional limits on royal power. A ceremonial monarchy is a type of constitutional monarchy.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Greater-London wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

I mean if you can rule efficiently with nobody challenging you then you are a competent ruler. Whether you maintain that position by being nasty or nice it doesn't change the fact that you are a competent monarch.

Then most of the Tsars (except that one that about the 1905 Reform) were pretty competent.

Margno
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Avenio wrote:

What, you think your opinion's so important that it should outweigh the votes of every other person in a country? Mighty egotistic of you.

I think my opinion's so important that it should outweigh the votes of every other person in the country in determining what I do. Yours too.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
You!
Me.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:40 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

A constitutional monarchy is any monarchy with constitutional limits on royal power. A ceremonial monarchy is a type of constitutional monarchy.

Within a ceremonial monarchy, the "monarch" has no practical power.

A constitutional monarchy stills grants the monarch moderate to vast amounts of power.

Margno
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:40 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Margno wrote:I don't have political power because it's impossible for there to be a situation in which the country does a different thing if I take one sort of action at the polls than if I take another or remain inactive. I also can't be elected to office unless my views happened to be what the country was going to do anyway, meaning that even if I run for office, I still don't have any power. The nation does. The power of the individual in any sufficiently large democracy is zero. And that's the power of every individual. We've ignored people, which do exist, and enslaved ourselves to a subhuman, subrational and submoral abstraction we call the nation.

Collective Power comes from human nature, something that politics cannot fix.

Also, just because your an individual doesn't mean you have no power. You could attempt to collectively change the minds of everyone around, or if you feel like it, lead a coup or some shit.

Well fine! Maybe I will lead a coup! :lol2:
You!
Me.

Greater-London
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater-London » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:40 pm

United Marxist Nations wrote:Many of the Tsars were quite competent; it didn't do much to help the position of the peasantry.

Well no... Russia hasn't been in a perpetual state of revolution/uprising followed by brutal crushing and repression.

Margno
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:41 pm

Greater-London wrote:

Except not having the final say on something, or deciding the outcome doesn't equate to "no political power".

That is literally the only thing that political power is. Ability to enact change. Anything else only exists in your head.
Last edited by Margno on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You!
Me.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:43 pm

Greater-London wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Many of the Tsars were quite competent; it didn't do much to help the position of the peasantry.

Well no... Russia hasn't been in a perpetual state of revolution/uprising followed by brutal crushing and repression.

If I was a Tsar I could've easily keep the monarchy going.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:43 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Geilinor wrote:A constitutional monarchy is any monarchy with constitutional limits on royal power. A ceremonial monarchy is a type of constitutional monarchy.

A constitutional monarchy stills grants the monarch moderate to vast amounts of power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy#Executive_monarchy_versus_Ceremonial_monarchy
There exist at least two different types of constitutional monarchies in the modern world - executive and ceremonial.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_monarchy#Executive_monarchy_versus_Ceremonial_monarchy
There exist at least two different types of constitutional monarchies in the modern world - executive and ceremonial.

I see.

I still prefer to look at Constitutional Monarchy as different from Ceremonial though.

Greater-London
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater-London » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Then most of the Tsars (except that one that about the 1905 Reform) were pretty competent.

I guess so. That also links into what is a "good" form of government to; as in what does a government have to do in order to be "good"? Does good governing simply mean doing "good" things? afteral there are many MANY forms of government that have done good things, some of which are monarchies. Or does it mean simply one that is able to "govern" efficiently without collapsing? if so then Monarchy is quite good at that.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:46 pm

Distruzio wrote:It is absolutely a good, proper, and moral form of government.

This. This is why we are the best of friends.

Looking at history, monarchies have tended to be invariably much better than whatever replaced them, and monarchs have tended to be decent more often than not. In all forms of government, the important thing is to make sure there are checks on the leader's power and no one institution or individual is all-powerful. An executive constitutional monarchy with a Parliament and a politically active monarch seems like the best system for ensuring this to me, but even more autocratic monarchies like Tsarist Russia are preferable to totalitarian republics like the Soviet Union. I can't think of a single traditional monarchy that has been overthrown and replaced by a better government. Not one.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General