NATION

PASSWORD

Is monarchy a good form of government?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is monarchy a good form of government?

Yes
51%
No
49%

Total votes : 530

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:50 pm

Immoren wrote:
Margno wrote:I like it. It's my second favorite form of government. At least, absolute, hereditary monarchy is.

Obviously in any proper monarchy monarch is chosen by federal electoral counts/princes.
Or halc-crazed woman living by the pond and lobbing falchion at first person to pass by her abode.

Second one, great idea. The lady of the lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excaliber, signifying that I, Arthur, should rule the Britons! That is why I am your king! Tell me you wouldn't follow that man into battle!
First one and we're just back to glorified democracy.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

Agiptiota
Secretary

Founded: Aug 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Agiptiota » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:51 pm

An interesting observation is that some far left regimes such as Cuba and North Korea can look like a monarchy in a way.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:52 pm

Natapoc wrote:Those who are voting "yes" to monarchy being a good form of government: You realize, that YOU would not be the monarch right?

Why would you want to be in a situation where you have even less of a say than you do now? Do you really want some person you have never met to have ultimate authority over every aspect of your life?

I live in two monarchies ( our traditional one and the British Commonwealth) and am happy to not be the Big cheeses - that shit is too much work, the responsibilty would drive me nutty. That said I know our local chief and I know Queen Liz's representative ( he went to school with some of my older cousins). Its the benefits of living in a small nation but the point is I'm happy with the cultural continuity provided by the monarchs and that they allow me to do as I please whilst under the safety net of the big man.

Lingang
Minister

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lingang » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:54 pm

No. I don't think monarchies are a good form of government, because what gives the Monarch the right to rule? The birth canal he/she came out of? The people Absolute Monarchies are not citizens, but subjects.

Even Constitutional Monarchies I'm not that fond of. What did the figurehead Kings & Queens do to deserve their high status and wealth? Nothing. Republics and Democracies are better in my opinion.
Favorite Quotes:
"Check yourself before you Shrek yourself" ~ Independent State AF
"And He shall smite the wicked, and plunge them into the fiery pitt!" ~ Judge Claude Frollo (*then proceeds to fall in himself*)

Proud Native and former WA Delegate of South Pacific

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Kolle Imperium wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Parliamentary constitutional monarchies are a good form of government because they still leave the representation in the hands of the people.

While still maintaining the cultural significant monarchy.

If that culture is one of tyranny, it should not be continued. Monarchy should be dissolved everywhere.

Agiptiota wrote:An interesting observation is that some far left regimes such as Cuba and North Korea can look like a monarchy in a way.

North Korea is certainly dynastic, we'll have to wait and see for Cuba.

Zottistan wrote:Depends on the monarch.

Not really, no. Perhaps over if it functions well or not, sure, but monarchy is under no conditions a form of government we should buy into.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Rebellious Fishermen
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rebellious Fishermen » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:56 pm

I'm pretty sure he is not talking about constitutional monarchies.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:56 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:Not really.

That's trival and arbitrary. I don't know why so many people use arbitrary fluff that doesn't mean anything as an argument or justification.

That's also arbitrary and not really helpful. Morality is shit, I could declare that it's immoral. I guess I can just say: See Above.

Why isn't it good?

Why would it be good?

An absolute and constitutional monarchy would just be a hereditary, royal dictator ship. A ceremonial monarchy is just a traditionalist waste of time.

Having the people actually vote, and not making government rule hereditary is a good thing.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Margno wrote:
Immoren wrote:
Obviously in any proper monarchy monarch is chosen by federal electoral counts/princes.
Or halc-crazed woman living by the pond and lobbing falchion at first person to pass by her abode.

Second one, great idea. The lady of the lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excaliber, signifying that I, Arthur, should rule the Britons! That is why I am your king! Tell me you wouldn't follow that man into battle!
First one and we're just back to glorified democracy.

"Look, strange women lying on their backs in ponds handing out swords ... that's no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you! I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!"
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."

Lingang
Minister

Founded: Jan 16, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lingang » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:57 pm

The New Sea Territory wrote:
Kolle Imperium wrote:While still maintaining the cultural significant monarchy.

If that culture is one of tyranny, it should not be continued. Monarchy should be dissolved everywhere.

Agreed. :clap:
Favorite Quotes:
"Check yourself before you Shrek yourself" ~ Independent State AF
"And He shall smite the wicked, and plunge them into the fiery pitt!" ~ Judge Claude Frollo (*then proceeds to fall in himself*)

Proud Native and former WA Delegate of South Pacific

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Immoren » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:58 pm

Margno wrote:First one and we're just back to glorified democracy.

Obviously if it worked in holy Roman empire it'd work for us. *nods*
I didn't know that small council guys&gals voting counts even as "glorified" democracy. :p
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Greater Weselton
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Weselton » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:59 pm

A monarchy is a neutral form of government. It can be good or bad.
I am not a Nazi in real life.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)
If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!
Proud Member of theConfederation of Sovereign Nations

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Immoren wrote:

I didn't know that small council guys&gals voting counts even as "glorified" democracy. :p

It's a democratically-managed oligarchy?

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:59 pm

Greater Weselton wrote:A monarchy is a neutral form of government. It can be good or bad.

Ha. No. I see no reason that a dictatorship + idiotic traditionalism is a good form of government.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Postby Immoren » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:01 pm

Immoren wrote:

It's a democratically-managed oligarchy?

Wouldn't that be just oligarchy?
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Britanno
Minister

Founded: Apr 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:02 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:No. No single individual should ever be given absolute power, because Human history has proved that it never ends well.

Because every monarchy in the world is absolute.
NSGS Liberal Democrats - The Centrist Alternative
British, male, heterosexual, aged 26, liberal conservative, unitarian universalist
Pro: marriage equality, polygamy, abortion up to viability, UK Lib Dems, US Democrats
Anti: discrimination, euroscepticism, UKIP, immigrant bashing, UK Labour, US Republicans
British Home Counties wrote:
Alyakia wrote:our nations greatest achievement is slowly but surely being destroyed
America is doing fine atm

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:03 pm

Zottistan wrote:Depends on the monarch.

Not really, no. Perhaps over if it functions well or not, sure, but monarchy is under no conditions a form of government we should buy into.

Why not buy into a competent monarchy with sufficient legal restraints on the monarch's power?
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Flaxxony
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Flaxxony » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:03 pm

The most bottom-up society is going to be the best so I don't agree with the idea of a monarchy.

Greater Weselton
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Weselton » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:04 pm

Greater Weselton wrote:A monarchy is a neutral form of government. It can be good or bad.

Ha. No. I see no reason that a dictatorship + idiotic traditionalism is a good form of government.

Monarchs aren't always authoritarian.
I am not a Nazi in real life.
_[' ]_
(-_Q)
If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!
Proud Member of theConfederation of Sovereign Nations

Margno
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Margno » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:04 pm

Immoren wrote:

And what happened to the Holy Roman Empire? It was defeated by Napolean at the battle of Asterlitz! So much for your argument.
Never, never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.
We have nothing to lose but the world. We have our souls to gain.
You!
Me.
Nothing you can possibly do can make God love you any more or any less.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Postby Immoren » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Flaxxony wrote:The most bottom-up society is going to be the best so I don't agree with the idea of a monarchy.

Bottoms up! society is obviously best. Let the beer flow.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:05 pm

No. Its possible for a monarchy to be a stable government and its possible for a constitutional monarchy to be pretty free, but at the end of the day, monarchy (at least traditional monarchy) puts some people above others simply because of what family they were born into. Its inherently undemocratic and inherently unjust.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Andzhalswoodosia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 01, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Andzhalswoodosia » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Very unlikely, even people in the UK and Saudi Arabia are wanting a change of leadership.
PEACE, FREEDOM, JUSTICE!
Economic Left/Right: 2.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.23

Agiptiota
Secretary

Founded: Aug 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Agiptiota » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:06 pm

In the broadest sense, a monarchy is a government that is stylised as to have a 'monarch'. Some of you realise that just because something is officially or unofficially a monarchy, doesn't mean it's not democratic. A democracy doesn't need an elected head of state, providing those with power are elected. A monarchy does not need to be despotic for it to be classed as a monarchy.

The Eastern Antarctic State
Minister

Founded: Jun 06, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Eastern Antarctic State » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:07 pm

Only if they rule over there own homelands and not over other countries, like Australia, so we can be a Republic.
Last edited by The Eastern Antarctic State on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This ensues
The Republic of Eastern Antarctica is a country located on the Eastern portion of the Antarctic Continent, Has leftist policies, but is still capitalist.

NOTE: I am an Australian.
I enjoy playing/watching Cricket and Rugby League every now and then. Love me some history and paradox games. Studying at University. Catholic. You can call me TEAS or EAS

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:07 pm

I'm fine with constitutional monarchy, but absolute monarchy is bad.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General