NATION

PASSWORD

Firing Squad

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support the return of firing squads

Yes
39%
No
10%
In some cases
17%
Not painful enough of a death
8%
No I am against the death sentence
27%

Total votes : 249

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:30 pm

Padnak wrote:That brings up a good point...

Why don't we bring back gladiatorial games? We promise the winner freedom then we shoot them in the back of the head after its over and we've taken care of the problem and gotten some entertainment out of it

No. Barbaric, cruel, and disgusting.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Empire of Narnia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Empire of Narnia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:30 pm

Firing squad is good but burning at stake better.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:31 pm

Padnak wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:So you acknowledge that the first proposal was monstrous but fail to see how the second one also is?

Whats monstrous about it? If someone does something so horrible we're willing to kill them as punishment, we may as well do it humanely, so death by firing squad is the most reasonable option in that its a guaranteed instant and painless death.

I am also a proponent of forced labour for criminals, so take that as you will

There is no "humane" way to unnecessarily kill someone. What is monstrous is that you propose killing them at all, not how you propose doing it.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:31 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:
What the fuck? You want them to live with that? Why?

Also, randomly making random people do it is just, strange and nonsensical. It seems like your stuck on this triviality.

Maybe because they're choosing to kill someone?

Making random people do it is a pretty sure-fire way of ending capital punishment. Somehow I doubt that most people in most First World societies could stomach the nature of capital punishment when they have to carry it out themselves.

This is a horrible idea. I mean come on, use your common sense, man. You know this wouldn't work.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:31 pm

Padnak wrote:Personally I'm a proponent of forced labour for criminals, so naturally it would make sense to not kill off a valuable worker and to instead work them to death

perfectly reasonable

I'm joking, but I do think that death by firing squad should be permissible in some cases.

Forced labour is disgusting. If it's optional and it reduces someone's sentence, then I'm fine with it. However, if it's forced, it should be opposed.

I know you said you're joking, but is don't know if you were joking on the first bit about supporting forced labour of criminals.
Last edited by Pandeeria on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Galter Gulcher
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Galter Gulcher » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:32 pm

Valkalan wrote:
Galter Gulcher wrote:I hit a dinner plate with my AR today at about 100 yards.

Not bad. I had to shoot human-sized targets at ranges of up to 300 meters using an M16A2 at Ft Sill. The experience was rather unpleasant due to the cold.

The targets at Ft Sill are affectionately referred to as "Ivan."

Well to be fair I did have about a hour of practice before then today, so....
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature.
Screw the NSA.
I support gay marriage.
I am against Gay attitudes towards pretty much anything.
Hungary people need to just eat some endangered animals.
Mallorea and Riva should be awarded for their actions.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:32 pm

If I were to asked to do my duty for the state by the responsible authorities (to carry out an execution) and I have faith in the government, I would do it without question and without any feelings of guilt.

It would be my duty as a member of the citizenry. I'm just following orders from the police. Its not my job to decide who is guilty and who isn't or who deserves what (the state, the police, and the courts... people who know far more than I have already done that).

So if Scomagia's suggestion were implemented and I was randomly selected, his trick would not work on me. So long as the people who are being executed were properly tried and sentenced and so long as they are extremely violent criminals, I shall do my civic duty in the name of justice and law and order.

I truly hope that I don't have to bloody my own hands because normally the state hires responsible professionals who take the black, but if this is the system they elect (one in which citizens are randomly selected to carry out the sword of justice), I would feel obligated to do my part without inconveniencing the state or having second thoughts.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gingeska
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gingeska » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:32 pm

Scomagia wrote:A firing squad would be acceptable only if every citizen were put into a lottery to be on the firing squad. If a society is willing to have barbaric practices as law, they should be forced to take part in them and not shunt the burden onto someone else.

Or, or... You could apply for it.
That way those who really want to be executioners will be picked above those who don't. It's only fair.

And anyway it's not like you know if you were the killer or not anyway. They normally load one gun with a blank round-- so for all you know you didn't shoot anything.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:32 pm

Empire of Narnia wrote:Firing squad is good but burning at stake better.

This right here lady and gents is the pinnacle of how society should work ^

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:32 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
United Marxist Nations wrote:Roman Empire put that shit in goddamn ampitheaters and people paid money to watch it. It could have the opposite of the intended effect.

Im pretty sure some messed-up people would be jumping at the opportunity.

Scomagia wrote:Maybe because they're choosing to kill someone?

Making random people do it is a pretty sure-fire way of ending capital punishment. Somehow I doubt that most people in most First World societies could stomach the nature of capital punishment when they have to carry it out themselves.

Making everyone else feel guilty doesn't really help to stop capital punishment. I'm guessing some people would be very happy to put a mass-killer to death.

I'm guessing that those people would be heavily outweighed by the people disgusted at having to do it. If everyone shares the burden, I'm fairly certain Capital Punishment would disappear pretty fucking quick.
Insert trite farewell here

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:32 pm

Padnak wrote:That brings up a good point...

Why don't we bring back gladiatorial games? We promise the winner freedom then we shoot them in the back of the head after its over and we've taken care of the problem and gotten some entertainment out of it

This isn't ancient Rome, for fuck's sakes!

Seriously, the ideas I am seeing in this thread are fucking terrible.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:34 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Padnak wrote:Personally I'm a proponent of forced labour for criminals, so naturally it would make sense to not kill off a valuable worker and to instead work them to death

perfectly reasonable

I'm joking, but I do think that death by firing squad should be permissible in some cases.

Forced labour is disgusting. If it's optional and it reduces someone's sentence, then I'm fine with it. However, if it's forced, it should be opposed.

I know you said you're joking, but is don't know if you were joking on the first bit about supporting forced labour of criminals.

You're okay with killing people but against forced labor. Fucking hilarious.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:34 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:If I were to asked to do my duty for the state by the responsible authorities (to carry out an execution) and I have faith in the government, I would do it without question and without any feelings of guilt.

It would be my duty as a member of the citizenry. I'm just following orders from the police. Its not my job to decide who is guilty and who isn't or who deserves what (the state, the police, and the courts... people who know far more than I have already done that).

So if Scomagia's suggestion were implemented and I was randomly selected, his trick would not work on me. So long as the people who are being executed were properly tried and sentenced and so long as they are extremely violent criminals, I shall do my civic duty in the name of justice and law and order.

I truly hope that I don't have to bloody my own hands because normally the state hires responsible professionals who take the black, but if this is the system they elect (one in which citizens are randomly selected to carry out the sword of justice), I would feel obligated to do my part without inconveniencing the state or having second thoughts.

It's easy now to say you'd do it without question nor guilt, however that's psychologically impossible unless you're a psychopath.

When you actually have the gun to the person's head, or the rifle aiming at them, you'll probably want to not do it. Even then, if you kill them, you'll feel so guilty.

It would be worse if proven later they were innocent.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:34 pm

The Orson Empire wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Maybe because they're choosing to kill someone?

This is a horrible idea. I mean come on, use your common sense, man. You know this wouldn't work.

This wouldn't make people vote against Capital Punishment? You're sure about that?

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:35 pm

Threlizdun wrote:Both the logical problem that prisoners would learn it is a ruse and the ethical problem that those are fucking human beings and not toys.

It wouldn't be a ruse, you either fight and get to live for a little longer maybe enter into a freedom lottery or something, or you die. If we're fine as a society with killing people, dressing it up and getting some entertainment out of it doesn't seem like its all that horrible

if we're fine with killing them, then why not with them killing each other for our entertainment

(I'm not a proponent of the idea, I'm just pointing out that its not any worse then simply killing the person)
"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:35 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:Im pretty sure some messed-up people would be jumping at the opportunity.

Making everyone else feel guilty doesn't really help to stop capital punishment. I'm guessing some people would be very happy to put a mass-killer to death.

I'm guessing that those people would be heavily outweighed by the people disgusted at having to do it. If everyone shares the burden, I'm fairly certain Capital Punishment would disappear pretty fucking quick.

or the majority of the citizens would just get used to it and treat it as part of every day life.

When first person shooters first came out they seemed really violent, now they are nothing to most people. If lotteries picking citizens to participate in executions became common place (just like jury duty or voting), then its only natural that society would adapt.
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:35 pm

Damn, imagine if we went along with Scomagia's idea, and later people put to death are proven innocent, imagine who the random executioner would feel then.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:36 pm

Infected Mushroom wrote:If I were to asked to do my duty for the state by the responsible authorities (to carry out an execution) and I have faith in the government, I would do it without question and without any feelings of guilt.

This is how totalitarian dictatorships start. People with your point of view do anything the state asks them to do without question. Look at what you are saying, man.

I do not think I could handle the guilt if I was forced to execute someone. I couldn't live with myself. On top of that, it violates my religion (Christianity), which states that I am not allowed to kill.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:36 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Padnak wrote:
Whats monstrous about it? If someone does something so horrible we're willing to kill them as punishment, we may as well do it humanely, so death by firing squad is the most reasonable option in that its a guaranteed instant and painless death.

I am also a proponent of forced labour for criminals, so take that as you will

There is no "humane" way to unnecessarily kill someone. What is monstrous is that you propose killing them at all, not how you propose doing it.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Gingeska
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Gingeska » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:36 pm

If the Government called me and was like: "Hey, you wanna kill a rapist?"

I'd be like "Hellll yeah I do."

Making people randomly carry out punishment would not and capital punishment.
It's not like they're killing shoplifters here, they're killing terrible, terrible people.

The Fascist American Empire
Minister

Founded: Oct 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist American Empire » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:36 pm

You wouldn't happen to be my exact clone, would you?

Americans, hands off Ukraine and let Russia do what they will in their own sphere of influence! You are not the world's police!
You obviously do since you posted a response like the shifty little red velvet pseudo ant you are. Yes I am onto your little tricks you hissing pest you exoskeleton brier patch you. Now crawl back in to that patch of grass you call hell and hiss some more. -Benuty
[quote="Arkandros";p="20014230"]

RIP Eli Waller
Race! It is a feeling, not a reality: ninety-five percent, at least, is a feeling. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today. -Benito Mussolini

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:36 pm

Just use forced labor for those who can't be rehabilitated.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:37 pm

Pandeeria wrote:Damn, imagine if we went along with Scomagia's idea, and later people put to death are proven innocent, imagine who the random executioner would feel then.

I bet they'd work pretty hard to end Capital Punishment.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:37 pm

Pandeeria wrote:

It's easy now to say you'd do it without question nor guilt, however that's psychologically impossible unless you're a psychopath.

When you actually have the gun to the person's head, or the rifle aiming at them, you'll probably want to not do it. Even then, if you kill them, you'll feel so guilty.

It would be worse if proven later they were innocent.

so are you saying all professional executioners are psychopaths? that all soldiers are psychopaths or all policemen who open fire are psychopaths?

The truth of living in a real society is that from time to time for an important cause (national security or in this case justice and social protection), certain people have to be willing to swing swords.

This is how it has always been.

Digital Planets
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Digital Planets » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:38 pm

I'd much rather go back to the time of the guillotine, really. Or fuck, maybe even gladiator sports.
Last edited by Digital Planets on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So you decide to open it anyway? What the heck, man?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General